Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A quick positive note about this community and post-release

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Default Re: A quick positive note about this community and post-release

Where your analysis falls down is the assumption we agree that Empire turned into a very good game
    Probably a bit presumptuous on my part seeing as how I never played it. I have no interest in that era of military history, and was just going by what others have said and that it's been said that Empires has sold more copies than any other TW title

Until there is a really good challenger, I dont think we will ever see the "best" product CA could produce
    Amen to this....
    High Plains Drifter

That's for copies sold/ activated on Steam.

Though I think Rome 1 beats it if you could actually count all sales since the release of that game.

I like the era (Prefer 1400s to 1700 better) but it's just poorly represented and implemented.
    Lets play Divide et Impera, Ptolemy Campaign. Link to full playlist down below!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...2oIDsmGrPrKpzM

The Philosopher Duke Member Suraknar's Avatar

First, thanks for the nice thread Hooahguy

Second, I pretty much liked ETW as well, it had its issues in the begining, but overall I enjoyed it for many more hours than NTW (which I varelly played). I did not like the guided approach and limits of NTW... enjoyed much the Open familiar play of a ETW campaign.

A more exciting game would be a game like ETW but set in the Napoleonic era, with Open gameplay and the setup of ETW, (Americas and Asian Continents etc).

Yet the periods are close nevertheless, and with the mods of ETW one could have a great variety of troops even, which made it all more interesting.

On the oher hand the Strategic mechanics of NTW were somewhat of an improvement over ETW.

Can you now immagine ETW but with Rome2 mechanics/strategy map? That would be something!
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"
    Traveled to: Over 70 Countries, most recent: and

~ Ask not what modding can do for you, rather ask what you can do for modding ~
    ~ Everyone dies, not everyone really fights ~

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Hey, no hard feelings as far as I'm concerned towards the CA boys and girls, I consider it a major success finding one game out of everything a development house makes that I consider a great game. It doesn't come along often so I most assuredly appreciate it when it does.

For me that game was Shogun 2.

So if they fail to ever make another game that's worth a flip it won't matter a whit to me, they'll still be aces in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    On the other hand, it shouldn't be the job of the community and the modder to fix the game.
    I find it good that there is some feeling of "that's not acceptable". The publishers wouldn't do it if they knew they couldn't get away with it, so in a sense trying to be too "reasonable" is actually a bad thing.
    There is a difference between a "feeling of thats not acceptable" and "hyperbolic mayhem". I have that feeling quite a bit, and have expressed it often. I am just still stoked for the game because of its potential in the hands of competent modders. But I still complain, of course. There are many puzzling decisions made that I am... puzzled by.

If criticism is fair then there isn't (or shouldn't be) a need to make up more or go ballistic in spamthreads. I believe that's what this thread is about.

This community is a more tempered version of other places. I've always enjoyed it.

I started playing TW with Rome, and found the Org while playing Medieval II, although I didn't join until around Empire. I will say Empire seemed to cause a schism in the Org, if not general falling out in CA support in general. Posting activity for Napoleon, Shogun 2 and now Rome 2 is considerably less than Empire or Medieval 2.

While I was disappointed in a lot of decisions for Empire I'd say I generally enjoyed it, especially with mods. However after reading post after post about how awesome it was to play England, and later figuring out that the AI couldn't do naval invasions.......I just couldn't overcome the complete failure that game was. The Org pretty much ran the spectrum of fans at the time. There were: those who could only spit vitriol about CA, those who were generally depressed, those who were hopeful mods could fix it, and those who loved the game regardless. I'd say the extremes on either end were the fewest but generally the most vocal, and at odds with each other.

I sat out Napoleon (picked it up on sale but haven't even played through Italy). Played the heck out of Shogun 2 but really haven't been active in the Org since.

I do miss all the activity....Like Ask the Pizza Guy's total conquest speed challenges and all the guides people used to go to the trouble to make.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nafod View Post
    This community is a more tempered version of other places. I've always enjoyed it.

I started playing TW with Rome, and found the Org while playing Medieval II, although I didn't join until around Empire. I will say Empire seemed to cause a schism in the Org, if not general falling out in CA support in general. Posting activity for Napoleon, Shogun 2 and now Rome 2 is considerably less than Empire or Medieval 2.

While I was disappointed in a lot of decisions for Empire I'd say I generally enjoyed it, especially with mods. However after reading post after post about how awesome it was to play England, and later figuring out that the AI couldn't do naval invasions.......I just couldn't overcome the complete failure that game was. The Org pretty much ran the spectrum of fans at the time. There were: those who could only spit vitriol about CA, those who were generally depressed, those who were hopeful mods could fix it, and those who loved the game regardless. I'd say the extremes on either end were the fewest but generally the most vocal, and at odds with each other.

I sat out Napoleon (picked it up on sale but haven't even played through Italy). Played the heck out of Shogun 2 but really haven't been active in the Org since.

I do miss all the activity....Like Ask the Pizza Guy's total conquest speed challenges and all the guides people used to go to the trouble to make.
    You will be pleasantly surprised then
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

lets turn this thread into a flamewar, just to prove the op wrong?!?

We do not sow.

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by AussieGiant View Post
    The official forums have been a write off for about 8 years. Most official forums are. It seems like level headed, realistic people simply don't bother getting all worked up about stuff. That just leaves the ADD type nut jobs frothing at the mouth providing feed back. Even reading that can get you all worked up even when you are pretty relaxed about how things are progressing.

That's why I'm here and have been for ages.

This game is immense, the coding is enormous and they do a great job getting a stable build out at release. Give it 2 to 5 weeks and you will have a top notch game with all the issues ironed out.

That's a good return on investment in my view. Managing your own expectations is the key. :)
    Slightly, OT, but great to see you're still around, AG!

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Member Member Lord of the Isles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    Stop trying to fan the flames like ... a fanboy.

I used to like TWC but now it appears it is populated by nationalists and children.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    Stirring up trouble, tsk tsk tsk

Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Stirring up trouble, tsk tsk tsk

you know me :P trouble preceedes me, its not a causal relation, just bad luck :S

We do not sow.

I actually joined this forum because the users here seem more grounded and respectful to each other. TWC was becoming a bit to divisive to my liking and the release of Rome2 and its results only made things worse, plus it didn't help that the influx of users slowed it down to a crawl so logging in is near impossible. You guys seem like a more reasonable and down to earth group especially after seeing how well you guys have maintain a sense of civility since the fallout of the Rome 2 release :).

Members thankful for this post (3):

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    Yeah, on the bugs level they may be equal, but as far as misguided design, surely Empire was not half as badly as Rome II. Most of the systems it implemented were pulled off much better and were just better ideas to begin with. The only system RII implemented that sounds like a great concept is the LOS system, and like with many of Empire's new additions, it was implemented horribly.
    I sunk close to 1000 hours into ETW. After the final patch the game was reasonably good. FotS imho is the pinnacle of the TW series so far, I absolutely love it. As for Rome 2, haven't bought it, and now have zero plans to buy it until it's patched up and sitting firmly in the bargain bin. They had the gall to charge $59.99 for what is essentially a beta. Shameless.

Anyway, I hope they don't screw up the Warhammer license.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Lemur 

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

I think Shogun II brought a lot of people into TW that weren't aware about the problem in previous TW releases. I mean, M2TW had shield values that were negative and animation bugs that made peasants stun lock all their enemies to death. It wasn't until Kingdoms that most everything was fixed. Likewise ETW wasn't completely playable until that game's expansions came out. I think that CA realized they couldn't screw up Shogun II and that a lot of people were very passionate about doing a sequel of Shogun right so we had basically a perfect launch with nothing majorly broken.

I think this community is more Chill because the center and the official forums honeypot most of the rabid people there.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

I wonder if you're active for EB online? I'm installing and patching up during the weekend for some online action. Shogun 2 is empty, Napoleon is full of droppers (Can't save replays then) and Rome 2 is screwed up.

Plus I'd like to try out EB online as it seems fun. 1v1s interest me the most on time matters.

(Sorry for derailing in advance :P)

CA from what I've seen needs serious balance patching and instead of putting capture points in SP it should've been in MP.

Hello everybody :-) OP is right this is a much quieter forum. Compared to others it's like a haven in the midst of the zombie apocalypse. Mundus bellicus is just like here, so rabies hasn't spread everywhere yet. R2 is a weird mix of nice innovations and total regressions. If some of you think it can be fixed, well it bring some hope. And if its not... well EB2 will be there sooner or later. As for Rome 2 's AI, maybe it needs to be fed with tons of datas and situations to behave normally.
    Last edited by Alcibiade; 09-12-2013 at 15:16.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alcibiade View Post
    Hello everybody :-) OP is right this is a much quieter forum. Compared to others it's like a heaven in the midst of the zombie apocalypse.
    Now if we can just get more people to visit here instead of the other forums....
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Myth 

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Now if we can just get more people to visit here instead of the other forums....
    It will become as bad as the other forums?

Exactly, this forums is like bliss to me. Sure people differ opinions than me on Rome 2 but at least nobody goes all out nerd rage... Yet....

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Actually we could use more members and contributors. The .org prides itself in its core user base, but the new guys will quickly pick up our attitude I think. Plus, we staff members are here to advise and if necessary, enforce the .org way of conduct.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    Actually we could use more members and contributors. The .org prides itself in its core user base, but the new guys will quickly pick up our attitude I think. Plus, we staff members are here to advise and if necessary, enforce the .org way of conduct.
    It's comparably quiet to the last time I was reading this forum (M2 was the last TW title I played prior R2). When M2TW came out there was more activity here iirc.

But .com and TWC is not bearable. So much flaming and ranting. This forum is is much more mature and I like it. I too think new members will enjoy and adopt the .org way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    I guess I will be taking a very careful look at Europa Universalis IV.
    EU is a GREAT serie, but it doesn't really compete with the TW one. They have common background theme, but aside that they are polar opposite (EU focus on management, diplomacy and grand strategy with battle being automated and graphics kept to a minimum, TW focus on battles and graphical immersion).

I'm right now having a blast in EU4, but it doesn't scratch my "huge battle" itch like I wanted RTW2 to.
    If violence didn't solve your problem... well, you just haven't been violent enough.

Quite true, an influx of new members would definitely suit the Org and make this play even better than it already is.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    EU is a GREAT serie, but it doesn't really compete with the TW one. They have common background theme, but aside that they are polar opposite (EU focus on management, diplomacy and grand strategy with battle being automated and graphics kept to a minimum, TW focus on battles and graphical immersion).

I'm right now having a blast in EU4, but it doesn't scratch my "huge battle" itch like I wanted RTW2 to.
    Agreed. Its like comparing apples to oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Quite true, an influx of new members would definitely suit the Org and make this play even better than it already is.
    Agreed. The Org isnt as strong as it used to be. I remember back in 2007-2008 almost every subforum was a bustling place, it was a great place to be. Now, while its still a great place to be, its not exactly bustling anymore.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Now I realize, this place just feels too quiet. Even the IB mod subforum can be more active which surprises me ...

Keep the noise down, some of us are trying to sleep here!

It's the Rome 2 party, of course it's going to be loud, what it's loud for? Hmmmmm I really do wonder...

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Agreed. The Org isnt as strong as it used to be. I remember back in 2007-2008 almost every subforum was a bustling place, it was a great place to be. Now, while its still a great place to be, its not exactly bustling anymore.
    Back in 2005, when I joined, Rome was barely out and this place was literally bursting with people. Endless posts, replies and what not, it was quite something.

Quite a lot of fun around here back in those days...

Proud

Been to:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast