Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Rome 2 Patches, Hotfixes, Betas and Such (patch 17 live!)

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Default Re: Patches, Hotfixes, Betas and Such

Really? Steam has mislead me then because I got another big download that said Patch 3 and everyhting.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    Really? Steam has mislead me then because I got another big download that said Patch 3 and everyhting.
    In the the official forum (link) they speak of 2 patches to the beta3 patch. But nothing of going live. Did you opt in for betas in Steam?

I'll log in soon and see, I haven't opted for any beta patches yet

My version is still v1.0.0

Edit - I also can't to opt into the betas. I see the option where it says to and it's a drop down box but when I click it nothing happens.
    Last edited by AntiDamascus; 09-26-2013 at 14:39.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AntiDamascus View Post
    I'll log in soon and see, I haven't opted for any beta patches yet

My version is still v1.0.0

Edit - I also can't to opt into the betas. I see the option where it says to and it's a drop down box but when I click it nothing happens.
    Try restarting Steam, that might work.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

It worked but I restarted Steam a couple times in the past days or so o.O

Maybe because there was no beta patch at the time? v0v It works now. Downloading beta 3 as I type

Quote Originally Posted by ShadesPanther View Post
    I think that there is an option to update automatically or not in the steam options. Maybe it is disabled?
    Thank you, i didnt know that, il check it any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaitan View Post
    In the the official forum (link) they speak of 2 patches to the beta3 patch. But nothing of going live. Did you opt in for betas in Steam?
    Im lost, since patch 2 steam didnt download any thing, do we know when this patch 3 will be live for sure?

Quote Originally Posted by nearchos View Post
    Im lost, since patch 2 steam didnt download any thing, do we know when this patch 3 will be live for sure?
    Unfortunately there is nothing official yet.

Just opt in for the beta, it's stable.

When I played the new beta it seriously slowed down my games. I'm going to have to look at the settings again but it went from running perfectly to just amazingly slow.

Haven't played under Patch 3 yet, but these 2 lines from the release notes seem like a potential problem to me;

"Attacking AI is now more likely to prioritise taking Victory Points in Siege Battles / City Assault Battles."
    "Substantially reduced free hits from enemies in battles, when moving a unit through enemy units (without attacking them), so units can disengage with less penalty."
    The AI already tries to zerg rush the capture points in settlements, much to its detriment. Substantially reducing a units' ability to kill them while trying to do so sounds like it could seriously marginalize your ability to protect choke points, especially when outnumbered, and might result in the AI just running right through your defenders and on to your city streets. Can anyone playing the beta patch confirm or deny this?

I see what they're trying to do, but how realistic is it to move a unit through an enemy unit without attacking it and not expect to take serious losses in the first place? Which also applies to disengaging a unit from combat that doesn't have a significant seed advantage over its opponent (cav vs infantry for example). Expect to take losses...

Quote Originally Posted by AntiDamascus View Post
    When I played the new beta it seriously slowed down my games. I'm going to have to look at the settings again but it went from running perfectly to just amazingly slow.
    I had same experience when first trying Patch3beta, but two things pretty much cleared it up:

1. They did a quick hotfix to the patch that helped camera panning between campaign map locations.

2. Started new campaign. I didn't start new just because the patch, it was coincidental.

Between these two changes, running smoothly now...or, perhaps more accurately, at least as smoothly as with Patch 2. At first Patch3beta resulted in some game freezes and CTDs for me, but not any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Bramborough View Post
    I had same experience when first trying Patch3beta, but two things pretty much cleared it up:

1. They did a quick hotfix to the patch that helped camera panning between campaign map locations.

2. Started new campaign. I didn't start new just because the patch, it was coincidental.

Between these two changes, running smoothly now...or, perhaps more accurately, at least as smoothly as with Patch 2. At first Patch3beta resulted in some game freezes and CTDs for me, but not any more.
    At first Patch 3 (beta) made saved games slower but I didnt have CTDs. I ran a check to make sure the files were not corupted, messed around a bit with the graphic settings ( i think the biggest change I made was lowering unit detail to "very high", but on many of the other settings I actually upped the performance to higher end graphics), and for whatever reason I can play saved games with the Patch 3 beta and they run fine now....

Perhaps it was a hotfix, I am not sure.

It is better in battle now. But after one battlefield fight, the campaign itself slows down. I still need to fiddle with it.

So, I shut down R2 about an hour ago for some lunch and a little housework (gotta keep the Mrs happy...). When I did so, Steam started updating R2. I didn't catch the size of the update, but it took about 10 min or so, so wasn't super-tiny. The logical assumption is that this was Patch 3 going live. BUT...first, I already had Patch3beta loaded anyway, and I don't remember a download when Patch2beta went live as Patch 2. Second, when I look at the Beta tab in Properties, it's still reflecting Patch3beta as an option; I would expect this to disappear once Patch 3 goes live (just like Patch2beta did).

So...any idea what this little update was? Anyone else getting it today?

Senior Member Senior Member Barkhorn1x's Avatar

So, I shut down R2 about an hour ago for some lunch and a little housework (gotta keep the Mrs happy...). When I did so, Steam started updating R2. I didn't catch the size of the update, but it took about 10 min or so, so wasn't super-tiny. The logical assumption is that this was Patch 3 going live. BUT...first, I already had Patch3beta loaded anyway, and I don't remember a download when Patch2beta went live as Patch 2. Second, when I look at the Beta tab in Properties, it's still reflecting Patch3beta as an option; I would expect this to disappear once Patch 3 goes live (just like Patch2beta did).

So...any idea what this little update was? Anyone else getting it today?
    Mine is updating too! Different iterations of the 3beta?
    "Après moi le déluge"

Yep, Steam is downloading a 22MB patch for Rome II right now, which must have been released since 0800 GMT, September 27th.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Seems to be a hotfix:
    If testing over the weekend reveals no further issues, Patch 3 will go live early next week.

Meanwhile, Patch 4 is completing internal testing and will arrive into beta soon afterwards.

The list of fixes brought with by the latest hotfix for patch 3 BETA:

• Players and AI were unable to siege a city with a port, with a land army while the port was blockaded by a navy in an earlier Patch 3 BETA build. This is now fixed.
    • Fix for a crash while loading into ambush battles from the Campaign map, where the player had AI reinforcements (reinforcements are no longer aloud in ambush battles). This crash was introduced in an earlier Patch 3 BETA build, and is now fixed.
    • Fix for a pathfinding crash in battles, which was introduced in an earlier Patch 3 BETA build.
    source
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I hated not being able to take a city because like 1 ship was blockading the port and I basically had to go to war with them to get it lifted.

Yeah, quite annoying. So that's a good fix.

Kinda amusing their language implies this was only a problem with earlier Patch 3 beta, when in fact the blockade issue had existed since release.

EDIT: I don't see that they've fixed this at all. Still having same situation crop up in my campaign. Couldn't attack Paraitonion (held by Pergamum) last night because a 3-unit Egyptian navy was content to sit there forever blockading it. Didn't really want to go to war with Egypt at that stage, but was my only option to take the town.

Maybe I misunderstood the language of the "fix" above?
    Last edited by Bramborough; 09-29-2013 at 22:49.

Did anybody see any change in the squalor and food consumption of higher tier buildings? I don't see any difference between patch 2 and beta patch 3.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewt View Post
    Did anybody see any change in the squalor and food consumption of higher tier buildings? I don't see any difference between patch 2 and beta patch 3.
    I haven't seen a difference either.

That said, I can't claim to have memorized the food/squalor costs of every Roman building (only faction I've played thus far). There may have been a minor change somewhere that I didn't notice. But I agree that a substantial "rebalancing" (not that I really think one was required) doesn't seem to have occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewt View Post
    They were changed from patch 1 to patch 2.

This hotfix finally fixed my ingame encyclopedia so now it has images instead of blanks, so that's good.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    They were changed from patch 1 to patch 2.

This hotfix finally fixed my ingame encyclopedia so now it has images instead of blanks, so that's good.
    Indeed, no question there were some changes in Patch 2, across many different building types.

The Patch3beta notes, however, also mention some food/squalor rebalancing. These Patch3-specific changes (if in fact there were any) are the ones which have escaped my attention. Perhaps they were global in nature and not readily visible by looking at building stats.

Yeah, quite annoying. So that's a good fix.

Kinda amusing their language implies this was only a problem with earlier Patch 3 beta, when in fact the blockade issue had existed since release.

EDIT: I don't see that they've fixed this at all. Still having same situation crop up in my campaign. Couldn't attack Paraitonion (held by Pergamum) last night because a 3-unit Egyptian navy was content to sit there forever blockading it. Didn't really want to go to war with Egypt at that stage, but was my only option to take the town.

Maybe I misunderstood the language of the "fix" above?
    My understanding of this fix is that in an earlier patch 3 beta release, if one of your own armies/navies was blockading a port, then another of your own armies couldn't lay siege simultaneously (and same for an AI army/navy blockade and siege combo). They've fixed this situation, just not the annoying situation you've described whereby we're unable to siege a settlement if the AI is blockading it, which unfortunately is still deemed 'working as designed'.
    Last edited by Zatoichi; 09-30-2013 at 23:48.

Why can't CA communicate on what is going on here?
    "Après moi le déluge"

Quote Originally Posted by Barkhorn1x View Post
    Why can't CA communicate on what is going on here?
    Patch 3 is now live

I can't tell what was in the Beta Patch 3 and what is new.

Quote Originally Posted by MadKow View Post
    Patch 3 is now live

I can't tell what was in the Beta Patch 3 and what is new.
    Yes, agreed and I do like this one:

•When the player is attacked whilst in a minor settlement (not provincial capital), a new "Sally Forth" button is available on the pre-battle panel to fight the attackers in an open field battle.
    "Après moi le déluge"

You guys are confusing me. The ship blockading ports indefinitely thing was changed in like the first patch, so were the food and squalor things. Patch three is all about being able to leave towns and fight on battle maps rather than pre historic urban warfare =p

Oh and the MP campaign actually works now which is great until it stops working anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Sp4 View Post
    You guys are confusing me. The ship blockading ports indefinitely thing was changed in like the first patch...
    Not for me it wasn't. Still seeing it. Has been consistent through all the patches, live and beta.

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast