Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Rome 2 Patches, Hotfixes, Betas and Such (patch 17 live!)

Default Re: Patches, Hotfixes, Betas and Such

Unless you've pirated the game or somehow broken it (very much), you have all the updates there are.

Quote Originally Posted by Sp4 View Post
    Unless you've pirated the game or somehow broken it (very much), you have all the updates there are.
    That's a bit harsh, isn't it? I think there's an option in Steam that says 'keep this game up to date' (or som't), I assume unticking that lets you choose whether to dl updates?

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

You're onto something there. In Steam you can either keep the game on the current patch, or stop the patching process entirely.

Which means that on a fresh install, you can either have the game in release form or the current patch. No in-betweensies. Or if there is such a method, I'm unaware of it.

HopeLess From Humanity a World Member Empire*Of*Media's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slaists View Post
    I don't think, you can do that. If you install the latest patch, the earlier ones get loaded automatically.
    are you sure about that?!
    or anyone agrees with Slaist?!

Member Member Lord of the Isles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EasternSpartakus View Post
    are you sure about that?!
    or anyone agrees with Slaist?!
    Slaists has it right. With Steam, you have to accept it updating to whatever the most recent patch is.

Well, there is an alternative which I've posted before: once you have some version you are content with, never start up Steam on your PC without first disabling your network interface in the appropriate Control Panel. Steam will always run off-line (no choice!) and will never notice any new patches. But no other games get updated or installed either, so this isn't for everyone. This is more extreme than the option of setting the game not to Auto-Update (right click on game and choose Properties menu) because many of us found that you couldn't rely on Steam obeying that and you ended up having to update anyway.

It wouldn't be possible to allow users to choose a selection of old patches anyway. The way programs are written just makes that impossible. It would be technically feasible to allow people to stick with some earlier state (say up to patch 4 but nothing newer, or up to patch 2 but nothing newer) but the potential problems for Steam's customer support in that would be great. So I can understand why they don't allow it - just would be handy for some of us at times.

HopeLess From Humanity a World Member Empire*Of*Media's Avatar

Discussing illegal activity in any way shape or form is forbidden on these forums.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 11-04-2013 at 15:31.

I dont want to start a new thread, but im thinking, dont know if anyone would agree, that something is missing from the ranged units informations and that is reload time,( could be the shots per min) and accuracy, ( could be the damage).
    My thought is that, when a unit of archers i.e. are geting shevrons of exp or they are upgrated, you can see all the other staff going up, deffence, attack, meele etc, exept those that actually matters for these units, reload and accuracy.

And if we accept that reload=shoots per min and accuracy=damage then why these are never changing no matter what exp. or what upgrades the unit has?

In S2TW, accuracy end reload were increasing as a number for a unit through exp. and upgrades.

100% agree on the missile units...all their stats go up except for the ones that actually matter. This pertains not only to XP levels but also equipment upgrades...the workshop armorers are happy to give archers a quarter-inch longer dagger and slightly thicker cloth shirts, but apparently do not provide better BOWS.

Strategist and Storyteller Senior Member Myth's Avatar

I haven't found bowmen who I'd actually mass recruit over plain ol' slingers and jav skirmishers anyway...
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Since getting the blood dlc, the last two times I've started Rome I've had quite meaty updates to download (today's is 3.7gb) - but zero information on what they are. I'm assuming they're just hotfixes rather than content changes, but it would be nice if CA provided some information. Anyone know what they are, or anywhere they're explained?

Edit: I am signed in for the beta patches, and I don't think one of them can be 5.1/6 as this was delivered with the dlc?
    Last edited by Fridge; 11-05-2013 at 18:42.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

There has been no notification of beta updates anywhere so I'm just as confused as you are.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    I haven't found bowmen who I'd actually mass recruit over plain ol' slingers and jav skirmishers anyway...
    Was just using archers as an example. The concern extends to all missile troops.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    There has been no notification of beta updates anywhere so I'm just as confused as you are.
    Yes, they are hotfixes and modifications t the exe in order towelcome the blood/gore thing. So that people with the DLC and people without have compatible exe to play multi. I believe there is a note about that on the official forum.

Yep, due to B&G, we're actually on Patch 6 now.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcibiade View Post
    Yes, they are hotfixes and modifications t the exe in order towelcome the blood/gore thing. So that people with the DLC and people without have compatible exe to play multi. I believe there is a note about that on the official forum.
    I guessed as much, I was just wondering why I've had two since downloading b&g

Quote Originally Posted by Bramborough View Post
    Yep, due to B&G, we're actually on Patch 6 now.
    Had anyone problem after patch 6 like freezes etc?
    The last two days especialy i barely can play the game since it frrezes all the time no matter if im in campaign or in battle and i have to restart steam many times since i have the msg totalwar. launcher.exe is not responding.

I actually have played 4 or 5 turns the last 2 days.

Was just using archers as an example. The concern extends to all missile troops.
    I think this is totaly wrong, the upgrades of missile units must apply at the damage and SPM stats.
    CA shoud see to that.

Quote Originally Posted by nearchos View Post
    Had anyone problem after patch 6 like freezes etc?
    The last two days especialy i barely can play the game since it frrezes all the time no matter if im in campaign or in battle and i have to restart steam many times since i have the msg totalwar. launcher.exe is not responding.

I actually have played 4 or 5 turns the last 2 days.
    It hasn't crashed, but I'm getting short freezes in both battles and campaign (mainly campaign) - only for a few seconds, maybe up to about 20, so it's not the end of the world, but it certainly never happened before the latest round of dlc and patches.

Senior Member Senior Member Jacque Schtrapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fridge View Post
    It hasn't crashed, but I'm getting short freezes in both battles and campaign (mainly campaign) - only for a few seconds, maybe up to about 20, so it's not the end of the world, but it certainly never happened before the latest round of dlc and patches.
    I'm having a similar issue. I play in windowed mode opened to fullscreen so I can freely mouse over to my second monitor. Consequently, the top of the Rome II window is visible. During the end of turn faction cycle, it will freeze for a half second several times and display Not Responding at the top of the window. It's literally not much more than an eye blink and never happens except during the end of turn process. I have a good PC rig and it is not impacting game play for me, but it has been enough to cause me to notice.

Didn't they say they fixed this at some point?

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sp4 View Post
    Didn't they say they fixed this at some point?

Maybe mercury poisoning? Too much tuna from the Mediterranean? After all, Hercules was quite mad too... Achilles had his spouts as well...

anyway, I'm chucking through a Roman campaign and I do not see too much of these. In a few cases when they pop up, it's usually the same people just developing their madness to a new level, upgrading so to say.

I don't mind a few cases across a campaign but that's like.. 2 cases in 2 turns.

This is an odd trait. I assume it's supposed to read "-5%" instead of "+5%". The trait title/description would seem to indicate it's supposed to be a good trait, not a bad one....

And anyway, what exactly is "Harass" in the first place? I've never gotten that particular action in the menu for any champion-type agent. Same with the term "Adventuring"...what does that mean? I see both of these terms appear in champion trait descriptions all the time, but do not see an opportunity to use them. Are they passive capabilities that are always in effect when embedded in an army in foreign territory?

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

just tried to give this another try... but windows mode isnt working =_= anyone else having problems with it?

alt tabbing in normal mode takes so long and causes freezes sometimes =_=

also im getting ambushed all the time... even by armies which, according to the minimap animation, just came marching into the area to attack me and so didnt lay in waiting... im even getting ambushed 2x in a row... which is ridiculous. how will i get ambushed on the exact same spot i just beat an army that tried to ambush me??!?!?!?!?!?!!

im giving up on this stuff again. its just frustrating garbage. hours of campaign play, millions of turns just to get to the enemy and then a battle of 4 minutes... in which i cannot even control anything because everything dies so fast and its impossible almost to distinguish between armies.
    Last edited by The Stranger; 11-08-2013 at 01:57.

We do not sow.

This is an odd trait. I assume it's supposed to read "-5%" instead of "+5%". The trait title/description would seem to indicate it's supposed to be a good trait, not a bad one....
    Well, fighting where the enemy is not, perhaps means that, this guy doesnt acctually likes to meet the enemy.....
    So with these stats increased the outcome of the action is redused, as i see it at least.
    And anyway, what exactly is "Harass" in the first place? I've never gotten that particular action in the menu for any champion-type agent. Same with the term "Adventuring"...what does that mean? I see both of these terms appear in champion trait descriptions all the time, but do not see an opportunity to use them. Are they passive capabilities that are always in effect when embedded in an army in foreign territory?
    Harass is one of the actions for military sabotage against a standing army and adventuring i think is the action which is performed when you chose the bottom left button when you pick the agent,next to agents details.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 11-08-2013 at 14:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    I agree, i only used some Cretan archers during my first campaign, since then i m not using even slingers, only javs.

Speaking of javs, i feel a litle idiot here but, i need to ask if anyone has ever noticed during a battle if and when a unit of thyreos spears, releasing javs?

I have notised that, thyreos spears and even the hillmen are having a blue amunition indicator but ive never seen them throwing javs.
    The same i remember hapened with the Macedonian royal peltasts.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    just tried to give this another try... but windows mode isnt working =_= anyone else having problems with it?

alt tabbing in normal mode takes so long and causes freezes sometimes =_=

also im getting ambushed all the time... even by armies which, according to the minimap animation, just came marching into the area to attack me and so didnt lay in waiting... im even getting ambushed 2x in a row... which is ridiculous. how will i get ambushed on the exact same spot i just beat an army that tried to ambush me??!?!?!?!?!?!!

im giving up on this stuff again. its just frustrating garbage. hours of campaign play, millions of turns just to get to the enemy and then a battle of 4 minutes... in which i cannot even control anything because everything dies so fast and its impossible almost to distinguish between armies.
    Um... it sounds like you're marching your army in forced march stance everywhere. If caught in forced march stance, your army will be ambushed. This was changed in patch 3 I think (used to be a capture flag battle; CA removed that and replaced it with ambush battles). You have to use forced march sparingly and try to land in safe spots, where the enemy cannot reach you. On the other side of the token, you can ambush the AI the same way too. The AI is programmed to land it's armies in forced march stance away from you though. So, a good way to catch the AI is to put your army in ambush stance (so the AI cannot see it). The AI is likely to end up within reach from you then ;)

Quote Originally Posted by nearchos View Post
    I agree, i only used some Cretan archers during my first campaign, since then i m not using even slingers, only javs.

Speaking of javs, i feel a litle idiot here but, i need to ask if anyone has ever noticed during a battle if and when a unit of thyreos spears, releasing javs?

I have notised that, thyreos spears and even the hillmen are having a blue amunition indicator but ive never seen them throwing javs.
    The same i remember hapened with the Macedonian royal peltasts.
    Hillmen and thureos spears/swords have javelins same as legionaries. They throw them right before charging in just observe closely with missile trackers on. If the enemy countercharges, it is possible the throw does not get executed before the lines collide.

Member thankful for this post:

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slaists View Post
    Um... it sounds like you're marching your army in forced march stance everywhere. If caught in forced march stance, your army will be ambushed. This was changed in patch 3 I think (used to be a capture flag battle; CA removed that and replaced it with ambush battles). You have to use forced march sparingly and try to land in safe spots, where the enemy cannot reach you. On the other side of the token, you can ambush the AI the same way too. The AI is programmed to land it's armies in forced march stance away from you though. So, a good way to catch the AI is to put your army in ambush stance (so the AI cannot see it). The AI is likely to end up within reach from you then ;)
    this is just retarded...

why would forced march equal getting ambushed in every occasion?!? I'm using forced march because otherwise it takes a billion years to get from one part of my empire to the other. It seems like they changed one quickfix for another instead of fixing the bloody balance.

but anyway thanks for clearing it up. not that it really matters i guess, im shelving this game again. maybe for good now.

We do not sow.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    this is just retarded...

why would forced march equal getting ambushed in every occasion?!? I'm using forced march because otherwise it takes a billion years to get from one part of my empire to the other. It seems like they changed one quickfix for another instead of fixing the bloody balance.

but anyway thanks for clearing it up. not that it really matters i guess, im shelving this game again. maybe for good now.
    For me, I do not have an issue with the forced marched stance being ambushable. I did dislike it at the start but for a different reason than you. AI would leave its armies in forced march stance where I could attack them easily. With patch 5, that almost never happens now. So that's fixed. As to my own armies: I just take care not to march in that stance where I can be reached by the enemy during the AI turn. Parking forced march armies in cities seems a safe bet too (the seas are pretty safe too).

Member thankful for this post:

Lemur 

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast