Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR (updated 11-17, final chapter)

Default Re: On the Path to the Streets of Gold: A Suebi AAR

Yeah just got to wait for more patches, Shogun 2 (Yeah I know again...) got pretty optimized, loading times were cut down at around Gold release. I wonder how much CA can squeeze out of Rome 2? Or else for many people it'll be hard to enjoy 40 vs 40 stack battles.

May I ask; what do you think of the unit balance in Yarkis' mod?
    Lets play Divide et Impera, Ptolemy Campaign. Link to full playlist down below!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...2oIDsmGrPrKpzM

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BroskiDerpman View Post
    Yeah just got to wait for more patches, Shogun 2 (Yeah I know again...) got pretty optimized, loading times were cut down at around Gold release. I wonder how much CA can squeeze out of Rome 2? Or else for many people it'll be hard to enjoy 40 vs 40 stack battles.

May I ask; what do you think of the unit balance in Yarkis' mod?
    I havent really tried Yarkis's mod without Radious's mod, so Im not sure really, but I do feel like melee battles are appropriately lengthened for now with the two mods combined. Units arent really fighting to the death, nor are they routing after they lose 1/3 of their men.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Cool Re: On the Path to the Streets of Gold: A Suebi AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Well of course. A big part of the Total War series is getting attached to the characters. Hard to get attached to them when they die in less than 30 turns.
    First off thanks for the AAR, I love it . First one I have read for R2. I just started a Suebi campaign last night and I am now staring at the clock at work waiting to get home and continue it. I even picked up a few movies my wife wants to watch and I dont to buy me more time. Reading an AAR was just what I needed to get into this thing.

I also very much agree with your view here. I like building up the history of the army with R2 as that was a great added feature, but for immersion it seemed like something was missing with my leaders dying too soon and not allowing me to build a story in my head with them. I am going to give the 4 turns per year a try.

Can you load this MOD into a already started campaign?

Interesting, I know Yarkis made Trom for the Warscape TWs which is sort of like a realism mod and Radious made tons of mini mods for Shogun 2 which can also be used together.

Once those get established I'll most likely make a mini AAR on it as that'll probably be when I get Rome 2.

Perhaps I can try to get them to host here too? Sort of like EB. The problem is that: is anybody going to post there once in a while since from what I've seen the EB subforums is the only one alive.
    @jerome

Don't think so, it changes some core things and there's several features like the zoom out mod which is not compatible with past saves. So from what I've read and seen, sadly not.
    Last edited by BroskiDerpman; 09-13-2013 at 17:43.

Quote Originally Posted by JeromeBaker View Post
    First off thanks for the AAR, I love it . First one I have read for R2. I just started a Suebi campaign last night and I am now staring at the clock at work waiting to get home and continue it. I even picked up a few movies my wife wants to watch and I dont to buy me more time. Reading an AAR was just what I needed to get into this thing.

I also very much agree with your view here. I like building up the history of the army with R2 as that was a great added feature, but for immersion it seemed like something was missing with my leaders dying too soon and not allowing me to build a story in my head with them. I am going to give the 4 turns per year a try.

Can you load this MOD into a already started campaign?
    Thank you for the kind words!
    The 4 turns per year mod must be loaded in before you start a campaign. Wont work otherwise. Same with the extended view mod. But for the Radious and Yarkis mods, you do not need to start a new game.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

In the "just so you know" category: with the Radious mod installed, be prepared for something like this to happen at CW time...

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...k-out-mine!!!&

From what I can tell, it's an unintended side effect but holy @#$%!
    High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    In the "just so you know" category: with the Radious mod installed, be prepared for something like this to happen at CW time...

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...k-out-mine!!!&

From what I can tell, it's an unintended side effect but holy @#$%!
    Holy hell.

Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Dunno if this is true or not but from that thread:

This is a known bug in Radious' mod. He has acknowledged it and currently the cause is unknown. The best fix for it right now is to remove the mod from your data folder before that turn happens and then replace it.
    High Plains Drifter

It is true. Trust me, it's hardcoded/unknown for now till somebody finds out how the mechanics can be changed.

It is true. Trust me, it's hardcoded/unknown for now till somebody finds out how the mechanics can be changed.
    Trust you? You dont even have the game!

Just kidding.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

But I did play it... How many times do I have to tell everybody....

Plus the info is all in TWC if you don't want to trust me. (I saw the just kidding in small font but I want to make it clear)

I thought you didnt have the game?
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I went to my friend's house and I got to try out Rome 2.

So I don't have the game but I played it before. Hence another reason why I'm still posting here in the Rome 2 subforum.

Ah okay, makes sense.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Praeparet bellum Member Quillan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sp4 View Post
    What's this stacking bonus?
    Most likely refers to the different smithy upgrades. Rome has a few different lines: one concentrates on armor, one concentrates on weaponry, and one concentrates on siege engines. However, they all give a small bonus to armor, weaponry, or both in addition to whatever big bonus they give out. The top end armorer building gives +30% to armor and shield rating, but also +10% to weapon rating of troops (re)trained there. The engineers workshop gives big bonuses to siege engines but still gives +10% to armor and weapons of other units. If you put a top level armor and weaponsmith building in the same province, you can get +30% to both.
    Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Chapter Three

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

We thought that the Raeti would attack with the Helvetii backing them up, but we waited a few weeks in anticipation, but nothing ever came. We sent out our riders to check the passageway between the mountains where they would come from, and it was clear of enemy forces.

We then sent spies to the neighboring enemy towns, and we found our enemy. The Raeti had fallen back to their last town, while the Helvetii, with their considerable strength, had pulled back to their town as well, seemingly abandoning their allies.

And their other allies, the Nori, didn’t seem much of a threat.

So I sent orders to my riders to continually patrol the border area to watch for enemy incursions, while I had to return to Lupfurdum. Raimund was stirring up trouble with the elder council, and I had to be there before any damage was done.

When I arrived, I could tell that the other chiefs were looking very nervous. Raimund was standing at the front of the room, looking very cross. When he saw me, he quieted everyone down and began to speak, using grand gestures while he did so.

“Ah, our fearless leader has arrived! Surely you are here to save us all from the ferocious Celts! What else do you have in store for us now? Shall we head into the barren wastelands of Sarmatia and civilize those horse-breeders? Shall we cross the western ocean and find out where Jörmungandr* lives? Or maybe we shall continue south, towards this mythical Rome, while good men die for this hopeless dream? That is right, Chlodochar, the blood of hundreds of thousands of our finest Suebi men are on your hands!”

He stared at me with cold eyes that could only belong to someone who is thirsty for power. How he knew about my aspirations about Rome, I do not know, but I had to think of something fast, because otherwise I would be totally emasculated in front of the people I could show no weakness to. I decided to come clean. Sometimes honesty is the best policy.

“Do I want to head south? Yes, Raimund, yes I do. Do you know why? Because clearly you have not heard the stories about Rome, the riches, the streets of gold! Do you honestly think that keeping within our current borders is the best plan? Does a Suebi domain stretching from Magna Germania to Hercynia sound like an empire to be sung about for winters to come? No! I want my Suebia to stretch from Celtica to the lands of Dacia and Thracia! Does Raimund care about you, the people of Suebia? No, all Raimund cares about is power, not what is best for the people! I, however, will always be looking out for what is best for the Suebi! Have I not increased our lands? Brought in more gold than ever before? We have yet to lose a battle against our enemies! For more than twenty years I fought to lead you men, my loyal chiefs, to glory, and I will not concede defeat now! All I need is your trust, and I will lead us to glory!”

Raimund glared at me, turned, and left the meeting. I won this battle, but I really need to keep my eye on Raimund. If I don’t, I could be seeing a full-fledged rebellion on my hands, and possibly, my death.

But barring a full-fledged uprising, I shall continue to push south, towards the city of gold.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ ____________________
    *In Norse and Northern Germanic mythology, Jörmungandr is a giant sea serpent that Loki fathered, which circles the earth, keeping the oceans in by biting its tail.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 11-18-2013 at 01:48.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Member thankful for this post:

The campaign map angles look great, I know how CA wanted this part to be focused on though in my opinion a grander look at the map is better but even with the zoom mods you can't see all of Italy. (Which is quite empty imo)

So far the story seems good, though the picture you used in out of the time frame. It seems like the Franks later on...
    Last edited by BroskiDerpman; 09-14-2013 at 13:57.

So far the story seems good, though the picture you used in out of the time frame. It seems like the Franks later on...
    Supposedly its of the vikings, but you would be surprised how few pictures I can find of "Germanic tribal chieftain meetings."
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I never knew that many Vikings can afford mail armor, perhaps it's the bodyguard?

The Suebi's emblem if looked from a distance looks like the Taira from Rise of the Samurai; time travelers?

Seeing as the picture is sort of the meeting of the elite and all that, I guess they can get away with having a bit of chainmail.

Chapter Four

After the meeting with the elder council I headed back to my army, and prepared to invade the Raeti territory. But before we could launch the attack, a rider came back from Casurgis with an urgent message. A Nori army was approaching, seemingly headed for Lupfurdum.

The message said that they had already recalled the Bloodsworn, under Ricfried to the capital city in a forced march. While the added numbers is certainly helpful, the Bloodsworn were exhausted, so their performance in battle will suffer. In addition, the Sacred Spears were sent to intercept the Nori army.

The Nori army retreated north of Istros, and the Sacred Spears followed, seemingly cornering them.

Our scouts reported more enemy forces at the border, so I set out with my army to counter them.

While we were on the march a rider arrived, saying that Istos had come under attack by the Nori army. How they got past the Sacred Spears, I do not know, and why they were not able to come to the rescue of the small town garrison I do not know, but whatever happened, the Nori army snuck around our forces and was able to attack the lightly defended Istros without threat from the Sacred Spears.

The small garrison had little hope of survival, but was intent on inflicting as many casualties as possible, forming shield walls in an effort to hold out as long as possible.

But it was impossible for mere tribesmen to hold back the surge of enemy soldiers, most of which were much better equipped. It was only a few minutes before they had broken through our lines.

Frantically we tried to plug the lines, trying to create choke points to trap them in, but there were simply too many of them.

Soon the garrison was trying desperately to flee, but they were mopped up by enemy forces. None survived.

Reeling from this defeat, I turned my army towards Istros, determined to kick the Nori out of Istros. The Nori army wisely decided to meet us on an open field for battle, not wanting to get penned in within the confines of the town.

With our new heavy cavalry and better equipment, we made an impressive force, forming up from the south.

The Sacred Spears, eager to atone for letting the Nori evade them, joined the battle, forming up from the east, leaving the Nori trapped in the northeast part of the battlefield.

I split my force in half. Half of my forces slowly advanced through the forest, hidden, to surprise the Nori on the flanks, while the other half, combined with the forces from the Sacred Spears, distracted the Nori forces from the front.

We charged, our lines in a fierce melee erupted.

The battle was beginning to stall when I sent in the hidden forces to flank the Nori.

The Nori were surrounded, and it didn’t take long for them to rout, only to be chased down by our cavalry.

With the victory, we easily took back the town of Istros, and now we could look to the south to make the Nori pay for everything they have done.

Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Members thankful for this post (2):

My thoughts on the first siege:

How did the Nori win?

They only outnumbered you with those slingers. With some careful maneuvering you can wipe the out and destroy the slingers while you're at it. your melee component out numbers those swords men and you could flank the 4 units.

Your javelin men can eliminate many melee troops like revolver cavalry from Fall of the Samurai. Except that they can shoot over your units with more accurate fire!

Well that's my thoughts on that siege.

Anyways, a good read as always! Revenge is sweet! I highly recommend using debug camera and pressing K to disable the ui to take screenshots. (You can pause it or even take command with only a cursor as ui, the ultimate challenge)

My thoughts on the first siege:

How did the Nori win?

They only outnumbered you with those slingers. With some careful maneuvering you can wipe the out and destroy the slingers while you're at it. your melee component out numbers those swords men and you could flank the 4 units.

Your javelin men can eliminate many melee troops like revolver cavalry from Fall of the Samurai. Except that they can shoot over your units with more accurate fire!

Well that's my thoughts on that siege.
    I thought so too! But the AI was clever, they kept running their slingers away from me while their cavalry chased me down and harassed me, eventually routing my units that werent tied down by the swordsmen. I only had one unit of Spear Brothers, everyone else was tribesmen (who route annoyingly fast) and Germanic youths. It was sheer numbers.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Hmmm, Perhaps either stay in the settlement and hope missile fire gets absorbed or run away and let the ai chase you till the timer goes down to zero. (I highly recommend using a timer as some bugs/glitches will mess things up and a timer could help wait it out) If the ai just goes to the capture point in a blob once you leave attack and you'll catch all the slingers and they'll drop like flies.

Heres basically how the battle went:

EDIT: Forgot to put in, but their skirmishers were, well, skirmishing, with my positions. When I would try to close the distance, they would flee, and I would get harassed by the heavier enemy forces.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 09-15-2013 at 01:29.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I'd suggest putting everything at the center as it isn't too large of the settlement, the ai most likely gives little time for its skirmishers to fire in most of the TWs (In FKoC mod for M2tw the ai Royalist forces pounded my city with artillery until several huge gaps were carved in ironically) so you'll take minimal missile fire and the ai will take a lot of friendly fire if they still let the slingers shoot.

Around the center you can try to use superior melee numbers and javelins to take out many of the ai forces, the ai might even blob it's slingers to take the capture point which makes your job easier.

If many of the slingers are still alive and are far away get out of their LoS until they rush into the CP. If they give chase to you just make them go on a wild goose chase across the map.

If you lose at least you've dealt even more casualties to the ai than before.

This is where enabling a timer actually comes in use and is somewhat more authentic.

The timer can also make you skip through bugs such as pathfinding issues.
    Last edited by BroskiDerpman; 09-15-2013 at 01:40.

What have you done to your AI to make it do that sort of thing? =P Mine always just control A + right click closest victory point XD

I'd suggest putting everything at the center as it isn't too large of the settlement, the ai most likely gives little time for its skirmishers to fire in most of the TWs (In FKoC mod for M2tw the ai Royalist forces pounded my city with artillery until several huge gaps were carved in ironically) so you'll take minimal missile fire and the ai will take a lot of friendly fire if they still let the slingers shoot.

Around the center you can try to use superior melee numbers and javelins to take out many of the ai forces, the ai might even blob it's slingers to take the capture point which makes your job easier.
    Thats what I was thinking initially, but I remember in a previous M2TW campaign when I was defending against the hugely superior numbers of the Mongols, I would create choke points which worked wonders, so I kinda figured it would work here too. I neglected to take into account that then I was defending with rows of heavy spearmen and they had mostly cavalry armies. But here I wasnt really in control of my garrison forces, so that tactic wouldnt work with low-quality spearmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sp4 View Post
    What have you done to your AI to make it do that sort of thing? =P Mine always just control A + right click closest victory point XD
    Not entirely sure. Id like to attribute it to the new patch and Radious's mod, but I know that the battle AI isnt moddable, so maybe the patch?
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 09-15-2013 at 01:49.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Sp4 

If left alone those levy Spearmen will drop, it's not like in Shogun 2 where you can boost your Ashigaru to a cost effective low tier unit which can stand up to better units.

Infact I used Yari Ashigaru late game as my main spear unit that holds the line like a phalanx. (Sekigahara mod goes further with whole armies full of Ashigaru ducking it out)

In the other vanilla TWs the higher tier unit most of the time will beat the lower one so I recommend you to keep everybody together or else resistance will crumble fast.

You can hold the more central area as it has one choke point thus allowing you to bottleneck the place and pour down javelin fire to quickly destroy the enemy's melee.

Authors note- Usually I take the screenshots in .bmp and then later convert to .jpg, but this time I took them in .jpg so I apologize for the lower image quality.

Chapter Five

After the battle at Luna Silva I decided to press my advantage, and we marched on Akink, which at the time was only defended by a small garrison.

Because of our superior numbers, we would split our forces again to surround them.

With our warriors attacking from all sides, it didn’t take long for the Nori to capitulate, and while our cavalry chased down the survivors, we rejoiced.

It was a very easy victory, we lost a mere twenty men, six of which was from friendly fire.

I did my usual walk through the town, inspecting it to see what we could gain from this settlement. We usually just occupy the towns we capture, but there was this voice I kept hearing telling me otherwise.
    It kept telling me that I should sack and burn the town, leaving it in the dust. There is nothing in this town for us. No resources, no major supply of iron, nothing. There isn’t even that much gold here. Why should we keep it? There is no reason. We shall sack it, take everything they have, and burn it to the ground. I tried to put them aside, but they got louder. Clearly this is a sign from Wōdanaz. He is speaking to me, I must follow his words.

So I did, I sacked the town, despite the protest of my captains. The voices stopped. It must means that I have pleased Wōdanaz.

It wasn’t until later when I realized what I had done, and decided to help rebuild the town. We would keep the town, and I would personally oversee the rebuilding of the town.

Meanwhile, we got word how the Helvetii had declared war on one of their neighbors, so that removed most of the Helvetii threat.

A rider arrived sending report of a Raeti army at the border. We were raising an army at Casurgis. The army would be led by Raimund. It’s not my choice of commanders, but the elder council was pressuring me, so I must oblige.

A few weeks pass, as the rebuilding of Akink continued, I awaited word on Raimund’s success over the Raeti army. I read reports that it was a small army so I did not expect Raimund to have much of a problem with it, but a week later I received word that Raimund had chased the Raeti all the way to the Nori town of Noreia, which was defended by a large Nori army, and was besieging the town. To increase his forces, Raimund had recruited over four hundred mercenaries to assist him, costing us over one thousand gold pieces. And even with the added manpower, Raimund was in danger of being defeated by the numerically superior Nori forces. I fear for our warriors who had no choice but to follow that foolish man into war.

Raimund, what have you done?!
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast