Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Froggy's Guide for Rome2?

Default Re: Froggy's Guide for Rome2?

I have to say; I played ETW recently. Ran away from it like the plague. Then tried mods on it. Proceeded to keep running.

Those are my first impressions when I bought gold edition well after the last official patch.

I will probably play Rome 2 in the future, just like how I play Napoleon in short lengths once in a while but not to the extent of getting several hundred hours off in a year. Unless I decide to play a ton of MP which I've gotten sick of due to alternatives I will try out.

I think (Note that it's all opinion) that my opinion on my above post is the general consensus amount most TW forum dwellers.

Though I still think ETW is the worst release of all time for TW so far. I don't know what makes me want to avoid it now.

(Save for a few fanatic bashers and apologists XD )

I do not directly post at you trying to prove something of you, I just post of Rome 2 and my thoughts as of this time.
    Lets play Divide et Impera, Ptolemy Campaign. Link to full playlist down below!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...2oIDsmGrPrKpzM

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Fair point. I overall like ETW, I had a lot of quality hours with ETW, though I was using Darthmod for it, which really enhanced quality.

As stated before, it comes down to personal opinion. A lot of people like R2. A lot of people dont. Do I think that over time a lot of the people who put it down after a week or so, fed up, will come back? Yes, I really do.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I'm never really gone, I just don't really get anything started and stick with it either. I've been playing a bit of MP with a friend although I am fairly terrible at it. What faction should I play in a campaign? ^^ I've done Rome and I wont touch Parthia or the Seleucids.

Ive been having a load of fun with the Suebi. Pretty easy start, no massive nations knocking at your door early on but gets harder as it goes on and you find larger nations like Rome. Maybe try the Iceni, the idea of taking over your island then having to make a beachhead in mainland Europe sounds intriguing. Personally Im going to try Macedon once my goals in the Suebi campaign are finished (which by the way had to be put on hold until a very crucial mod is updated to patch 5 so hopefully this week).
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Yes, Iceni was one of the factions I wanted to play originally when the game came out but then I started with Rome =X

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Maybe try the Iceni, the idea of taking over your island then having to make a beachhead in mainland Europe sounds intriguing.
    It's like Australia and RISK

Hahaha. Oh the memories.

With EB and the Casse, In my AAR for the Casse I actually left the British Isles and invaded Iberia. It was pretty sweet, until the savegame files got corrupted or something and I couldnt continue.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Until people actually start making them, no. We moderators discussed this when the game first came out and unless the situation called for it, we decided against it. Creating separate subforums for a guide for each faction creates unnecessary clutter for the forum and we would like to avoid that if possible.
    Then it will likely become a self fulfilling prophecy.

The way I see it is that there is no need to make a separate subforum for the possibility of player guides. So far we only really have one and its not extensive. Maybe if someone who has the time to make one actually makes one we will talk about this again.

EDIT: On the flip side I do understand where you are coming from: make it and they will come, but considering that this subforum isnt exactly bursting with activity, its hard to argue for a subforum where there will be maybe 2-3 posts in.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 10-22-2013 at 00:52.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Yeah, it's all good.

It only occurred to me to mention it because I ended up here in the first place because of a google hit for Total War guides that took me into the S2 sub-forum, in particular it was Frogbeastegg's guide that led me to take the additional step and join up.

And I wont lie, the lack of guides is a huge problem. Froggy's guides were a huge part of this forum, a large pull for them. I would love to do a guide but I lack the time for one. I barely have any time for my own AAR! A while back we mods were discussing this and we pretty much all agreed that guides would be the way forward. Not Lets Play videos, not screenshot competitions, not AAR's.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Yeah, like you say, the hard part is putting them together, they do take a crazy amount of time. The best I've ever managed myself is maybe commenting on strategies I've used to get Shogun 2 campaigns off on the right foot, the early stages of a campaign are often where new players go immediately off a rail and as a result start hitting the internet looking for some help.

Guides don't have to be exhaustive to be useful.
    katanks opening moves guides for MTW were short, sweet and very useful.
    I still refer to those when starting factions I haven't played in as long time
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by HopAlongBunny View Post
    Guides don't have to be exhaustive to be useful.
    katanks opening moves guides for MTW were short, sweet and very useful.
    I still refer to those when starting factions I haven't played in as long time
    Yes, i was a big fan of Katank's rush strategies. Actually i think a "seeding" guide doesn't have to be too exaustive or even really a super-upper winning strategy. Could work with just a few suggestions for opening moves and building strategies, how to get to certain types of units or resources. Most people who have some experience in any given faction normally jump in and give their 2 cents. I don't think a subforum is needed, the traffic in the org is low enough that a "Guide to the guides" sticky would be sufficient, IMO. Maybe the mods could start by a "submit your guides" thread... or something.

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

We encourage guides and anyone can make their own thread dedicated to their guide. I used to do this long before I was promoted to blue, let alone green status. .org members are free and encouraged to contribute!
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

I was thinking of making a guide of some kind but I was waiting for the patches to stop coming out in droves.

I took a look at the frog guide in the RTW forum...just to get a frame of reference for what level of detail longer-term members had in mind. Wow...he really went big. Long-winded though I tend to be, I'm not up for trying to put together something like that.

I am, however, open to trying a Pontus guide, at perhaps roughly the same level of detail as Myth's R2 Rome effort. I don't think I'd necessarily make it a move-by-move "place X bldg in Y town" type thing, more of a long "Bram's thoughts on Pontus" post.

I think I'd have to play a few 50-turn-ish starts, and definitely at harder levels than my current Normal.

Yeah, thats why were finding it hard to have the time to write a guide as extensive as Frogbeastegg's were.

Frogbeastegg is a woman, by the way.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AntiDamascus View Post
    I was thinking of making a guide of some kind but I was waiting for the patches to stop coming out in droves.
    Patches and DLCs are holding me back from updating my mini guide and starting the major one in earnest.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12