Thread: Rome II dev Q&A answers

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Rome II dev Q&A answers

So on reddit a while back there was a post where you could submit your questions for the dev team and they would be answered.

So here it is:

Hey guys!

I have great news for you today! Remember this thread? Well, now I'm here with answers for you! Sorry this took a while but I had been sending all your important questions to the appropriate developers. Then I got the flu and well, things got delayed. In any case, I must thank you for your patience. Without further ado, here are the answers to some of your burning questions!

Why does testudo formation (offensive) seem pretty weak against front attacks (missile)? It remains a testudo after all.
    Testudo provides a bonus to the shield armour value, which reduces the damage a unit takes from missiles. In the launch version of the game quite a bit of damage from missiles was armour piercing damage which ignores armour and is always applied. That is why it was weak then. Patch 4 featured a rebalance of missile damage which reduces armour piercing damage and switches more to normal damage, so testudo will be more effective. Then combined with a change in Patch 5, where there is a new missile block chance for shields, you will see a real difference between units in testudo and units outside of it.
    We will continue to examine the balance of testudo going forward, as we do want to ensure it is working properly.

Why does it take 1 year to build 1 siege equipment?
    The reason for delays in building siege equipment is to give value to walls and towers, and we don’t want to undermine that too much. Historically, sieges often lasted a long time and in the setting of a turn-based game the mechanics need to fit with starving out defenders and the movement of reinforcing armies around the campaign map. This is something we’re always looking at though.

Why did you (CA) think every troop carrying flame torches to burn castle gates was a good idea? In Shogun it worked, but it seems strange to completely devalue siege equipment for this.
    The intent behind burning gates was that this action would be a last resort for the attacking army, a last ditch attempt to breach the walls at great cost when all else fails. Siege equipment should always be more effective than attempting to burn the gates. But we didn’t want a huge army without siege equipment to have literally zero chance of capturing a city (especially a near-defenceless one). What’s more, we didn’t want to allow players into a siege if there could be a quick ‘game over’ situation where their siege equipment were destroyed – especially if their army was much more powerful.
    It’s fair to say that the balance of ‘burning gates’ at release wasn't as we wanted it. We adjusted the balance of the mechanics involved in patch 4, and will continue to do so.
    Siege mechanics in general remain a focus for the team, future patches will contain continuing tweaks and updates to how they play out.

A few factions, particularly Averni and Epirus and a few others, lack unit diversity. Can we expect some units to be added in updates or unit pack DLCs for these factions?
    Their units reflect the units those nations fielded at the time. Averni have a good mix of melee and spear infantry supported by strong melee cavalry. Epirus has a standard Macedonian style army.
    It may be that we add in units via updates and DLC at a later date, but the core idea is that different factions offer distinctly different ways to play and strategic challenges that come with them – see the recently released Nomadic Tribes. You can always hire mercenaries to fill tactical roles you might lack, but the incurred cost also represents the kind of penalty you’re assuming for operating out of the faction’s comfort zone.
    In Multiplayer we are considering adding more mercenary or auxiliary unit options though, please send us your suggestions via the official MP forums.

Is there a bonus for fighting on higher ground, if so, what is it?
    The soldier uphill should get an advantage in the underlying combat mechanics but this wasn’t always working correctly at release – this is now fixed in Patch 4.

Is there a range bonus when firing from a hill?
    There is no range bonus for being on a hill, but missile units on a hill will do more damage to soldiers on lower ground.

Does terrain influence morale?
    The morale system is very sophisticated and takes in many different variables including terrain. For example there is a morale bonus for being on a hill, and this triggers if the unit is at a higher altitude than all enemy units in the nearby area.
    What exactly is the difference in stats between normal arrows and fire arrows? With the missile rebalancing in Patch 4, normal arrows do more damage than fire arrows, but fire arrows provide a bigger morale hit to enemies and can also cause elephants to run amok. In naval combat they are important in setting fire to enemy ships.

Why do Roman generals have a tendency to go insane? Could we have a more thorough explanation of the trait system?
    This wasn’t originally working as intended but has now been tweaked; we have reduced the qualifying trait list for various "Mad" traits (such as "Not quite right" or "Unhinged") for generals in campaign modes.

Why only 1 hexareme to a fleet? Even in custom battle mode? Could this restriction be mentioned on the hexareme unit page in the encyclopaedia?
    Some units are capped because of how powerful they are. We will look into mentioning this on the encyclopaedia.

What was the reasoning behind cutting the family tree system?
    It’s important to note that because a feature was in a previous TW doesn’t mean it’s automatically included in the next; some naturally make way for other features, others don’t fit the design or the period. In ROME II, the design intention was to make more of the politics system which would better suit the large variety of ruling systems e.g. party affiliations in the senate, rather than focus on strict nuclear family heredity. This would help create the legacy overview and sense of personal character that the family tree may have supplied in previous games.
    It is certainly fair to say this feature didn’t turn out 100% as we would have wanted it and as part of the on-going game balancing and tweaking we are looking into this.
    It is interesting to see how passionate people were about family trees though and that’s certainly something we will consider for future titles.

How does House of Julia bonus "Founding Fathers" work?
    Depending on the local culture distribution you can get up to +4 public order if Latin is present:
    a. 1%-25% = +1 public order
    b. 26%-50% = +2 public order
    c. 51%-75% = +3 public order
    d. 76%-100% = +4 public order
    Shown as "Faction: +x" in the public order information panel.

Similar negative traits work in the same way, such as the Arverni's "Internal Power Struggles" - a high proportion of your own culture will bring down your public order, effectively reducing your ability to control the people once you've Gallified the provinces.

How can we see bonus results on unit stats? Could it be possible to see how unit stats would be before unlocking some technologies or buildings (i.e. in-game or in the encyclopaedia)?
    We do show currently applied bonuses in the game UI (coloured differently at the end of the bar). Showing potential effects due to upgrades is something we are looking into, but it isn’t currently a priority.

Are some technology bonuses stackable (i.e. Tier 1: +5%. Tier 2: +10%. Current bonus: +15%)?
    They are stacking.

Do you have plans to incorporate client states and satrapies and the like into provinces so we can use edicts? If I have 3 cities under my control and the fourth under a client state of mine all in one province, I still can't use the edicts because that fourth city is not under my direct control. It really dissuades me from even having client states.
    It is something we have thought about but can’t confirm at the moment that anything will be done to change this.

How do you upgrade roads? I've heard its automatic once your region becomes richer or something.. in my campaign I'm almost reaching 160 turns and the roads are still the same even in my richest province. What do I have to do?
    Road development is tied to the settlements they route between. If the settlements on the endpoints of the road are well developed the roads will get upgraded after a time, allowing faster movement on them. Upgrading your main settlement buildings (orange), as well as your city centre chain (yellow) and trade ports (blue) drives road upgrades. Without upgrading your main settlement to higher levels you will find it difficult to get road upgrades.

Roads can also deteriorate if settlements are razed or stop prospering. Also roads going between hostile settlements will decline. However rich your provinces are, if you are bordered by hostile settlements you’ll find upgrades harder to realise.

Can you explain slaves and how exactly they affect the economy and public order in the game?
    Slaves can be obtained when you defeat an army on the field or you are victorious in a siege. These slaves are distributed across your empire. Slaves increase economic output of the whole empire while causing public order problems, especially when there are a lot of them in a province (the penalty exponentially increases). If public order collapses specifically due to this, the resulting rebellion will be a slave uprising.

Will we ever get an in game option to change the turns per year or are we stuck having to re-mod the game after every patch?
    The entire game is set over a 300 year span, based around one turn per year and we are happy with the balance of its design that way. It is very unlikely that we would introduce this as an option.
    It may be that we can do more to help modders make blunt changes and to start with we can discuss this with those attending the forthcoming mod summit.

Why did you make the decision to remove seasons?
    There are technical limitations in implementing seasons over such a large (and diverse) geographic area and this would have raised the memory budget (and required specs) to unacceptable levels. Depending on the design for future titles, and potentially DLC, this is certainly a feature we’d like to include.

When difficulty is increased, what actually changes?
    Upkeep, recruitment costs, public order. On easy and normal the player gets advantages, on higher difficulties the AI does. Additionally almost every AI system taps into the difficulty setting (region and faction targeting, threat-analysis, task generation, construction, attitude towards other AI factions and the player, general "zeitgeist"; on higher difficulty the AI is less friendly and quite paranoid).

Why does it seem like we moved from a large amount of information on the settlement and settlement detail pages of the first RTW to a more simplified version that hides information? It also seems like very informative pages from previous total wars have been broken up and spread over multiple pages, panels, and tooltips.
    The game systems are not based on RTW but continuation from SHOGUN 2. The pages were broken down into 2 separate panels. One is at-a-glance high level information (enough when you are browsing quickly through provinces) and the other is a details panel. Detailed information is deliberately "hidden" and broken down into categories so we can provide more on individual areas.

However, some tweaks to address feedback we’ve received on this are likely.

Are there any changes planned for how client states work, currently they seem to have little value?
    They are meant to be semi-independent, serving buffer purposes. With proper support you can groom them into powerful allies. However, further tweaks to how these function will definitely happen.
    It's hard to know how the food is actually consumed. We know how much each building is going to consume but could we have a more elaborated panel (list of buildings, units, etc…)?
    It is planned to display more detailed information on this in a future patch.

Why do factions ask for money while asking for a peace treaty?
    At that point, pursuing war for them is no longer a goal, but they still don’t consider it a bad idea – so need additional monetary persuasion to make up their mind.
    Could we have some explanation of how exactly the political system works? It's not explained well via the manual or tutorial. For example, civil wars seem to trigger regardless of your party having low/high support. Additionally - some elements don't seem to make much sense logically, such as having poor support when your faction is thriving.
    This actually requires a bit of a longer explanation, we are going to do a separate guide on this soon.

Are there plans to expand the diplomacy options, to include things like gifting/demanding regions, making/demanding yearly payments, making client states more user-friendly by 'resetting' their status with all other factions once they become your client (More than once I've had 2 client states war between them, asking me to join them against one or the other)?
    There are general plans but we can’t commit to anything yet.

On the client state side: client states are semi-independent and not tools of the player. They can continue to act according to their agenda and this might involve declaring war on your other clients. Think about it as an asymmetric alliance and not vassalage. On the other hand, satrapies are not independent.

Are there any plans to rework the campaign UI? Specifically the construction report.
    Complete rework no; tweaks, fixes, additions yes. We constantly iterate here.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Member thankful for this post:

Lemur 

Default Re: Rome II dev Q&A answers

So Im pretty disappointed that it seems like they wont be adding in a family tree, though the least they can do is add a panel where it says who the faction leader and heir is. I mean I have no clue who my heir is so basic information like that would be nice.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Members thankful for this post (2):

I have no idea who anyone in my faction is half the time. Some of them are bad and some of them are good.. as in... some of them... like to make civil wars? I have no idea. =P

It was a great idea to get rid of family trees and it's great that it makes CA see how passionate people are about them... cause that hasn't been the case for all TW games up until now... Learn from mistakes right? *scratches head*

Also,

What’s more, we didn’t want to allow players into a siege if there could be a quick ‘game over’ situation where their siege equipment were destroyed – especially if their army was much more powerful.
    Isnt that how it worked in R1 and M2? If your siege equipment is destroyed, you gotta retreat, wait another turn, and try again.

I feel theres a bit too much hand holding going on here.

Instead of adding torches, why not make siege equipment stronger, so siege towers dont go up in flames in 30 seconds like they do now.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    I mean I have no clue who my heir is so basic information like that would be nice.
    It's the next guy in line. The family characters are listed in Summary. Faction leader is at top, so the guy right underneath will be next faction leader.

That said...I've been pretty much ignoring "faction leader" in Pontus campaign, I just make up my own family tree as I go along. And I can't say I've noticed that it makes much difference.

I understand what the dev is saying about getting away from a family tree because not all government systems were based on such, and emphasizing politics more. Conceptually, I don't have a problem with this. The problem is that they took away something that people liked and identified with, and replaced it with an incomplete system that just doesn't "pop". I infer from the comments above that, while CA does not intend to go back to the tree in R2, they do recognize that politics has whiffed. Hopefully they will continue to work this during patches.

Frankly, even if we did have a family tree, the 1tpy-driven short life spans would remain...I'm not sure it would really drive us to care that much more about the individual characters.

Instead of adding torches, why not make siege equipment stronger, so siege towers dont go up in flames in 30 seconds like they do now.
    Because then siege equipment would probably never die then. I like the idea of "Oh crap.... we have no stuff left...... go hit the door!"

Fair point, although torching the gate isnt as cost-prohibitive as they probably imagined it to be. If a unit is going to torch a gate it should be very costly for that unit. As in, it should take 65-70% casualties if they torch the gate.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I agree. You should basically be sacrificing the unit to get the door down

A while back I overestimated my single ballista's ammo capacity, and targeted some towers before banging on the gate or opening a breach. Mistake. I ran out of ammo before the gate broke. So I had to resort to archers and peltasts. Because these troops work on a different aspect of the gate ("Fire Damage" vs just plain "Damage"), they had to start over at 100%, and it took a long time. I had several units firing to spread out the casualties, and they still took a lot of damage, one unit came close to routing. No doubt in my mind that if I'd used a single unit, they would've been massacred and/or routed long before the gate burned, and probably the second and maybe third sacrificial lamb as well. It worked for me, but was expensive enough that I'll always try to ensure I never have to do it again.

None of this is a rant at all...I like it this way. I made a mistake, had to go with a suboptimal tactic, and paid a pretty hefty price. Not only were my missile units pretty beat up, but they used up nearly all their ammo (7 units worth; 3 peltast, 4 archer). They were out of the fight afterwards. That's how it should be.

This was during Patch 4...I can't remember and am too lazy to go look...did they perhaps "rebalance" missile troops gate-burning capacity with that patch?

In one of my recent battles in my AAR I had to use torches as well which decimated two of my units and shattered another.

I think the main problem seems to be that the AI seemed to go straight to torches when it should be the last resort. Granted, this seems to have been at least partially fixed in the recent patches, I just wish siege engines were a tad stronger because as you saw in my AAR, they arent doing too well when they are set aflame 200 feet from the wall from fire arrows from one unit. I remember that fire arrows from three units would set one afire but one? Seriously?
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

It does seem that siege towers in particular have a problem. I hadn't used them before I saw your AAR experience...and since then, I have avoided them.

The other siege engines including an army's organic field artillery, however, work just fine. Ladders and rams will start to burn, but usually get to the wall/gate and get their jobs done. Ballistae/onagers will breach the wall from safe distance no problem (as long as one prioritizes their targeting properly and doesn't run them out of ammo). City defenders apparently have no defense at all against a tortoise...never seen one even start to burn.

Also,

Isnt that how it worked in R1 and M2? If your siege equipment is destroyed, you gotta retreat, wait another turn, and try again.

I feel theres a bit too much hand holding going on here.

I agree, i think throwing torches at the door is a funny thing.

Stronger siege equipment is indeed a better choice.

Looking forward for the internal politics guide and i hope that CW is not inevitable, or at least there is a mechanism triggering it.

It's inevitable and it's annoying.

I think the CW "inevitability" is slightly more complex. It will indeed eventually happen...but it's not totally unavoidable until hitting 4th Imperium. By then, you've already grown so large that the CW faction offers little real threat.

Politics can be managed up through the end of 3rd Imperium to postpone the Civil War...or to precipitate it deliberately under conditions favorable to you.

Yes, and when it is done, the internal poltics and the entire faction window (which oddly enough is the biggest button on your UI) stops functioning/making a difference/becomes pointless. Woohoo!

Yes thats very bad, after thw CW you should come more powerful with the noble families, suporting you from fear but still you must have to try and keep them with your side.
    Of course that could work if internal politics had a logic other than waiting for the certaib imperioum for the CW.

And also, this thing with all the rebel armies in one spot on the map and starving, in my opinion, the best CW experience was the one in MTW, where, there was a war all over your empire.

100% agree...the fact that politics simply stops after the CW is nonsensical. Even the Roman Empire experienced multiple civil wars, even if they weren't quite as destructive and well-remembered as the wars of Caesar/Pompey and Octavian/Antony.

I didn't say politics/CW is fine the way it is...the whole thing needs a substantial overhaul.

In my opinion, the biggest CW problem is the CW armies' size, and their propensity begin starving before you can get to them. Beneath all the various complaints about CAI, BAI, economy, attrition, etc., is an underlying desire for our large, carefully developed, upgraded armies to come up against an equally capable opponent. At least a few times during a campaign, we want to fight some battles that we're not sure we're going to win. After the initial 30 or so turns, it just doesn't happen very often in R2. Civil War offers the best chance for the AI to make the player sweat for a few turns....and should feature the hardest-fought battles of the mid-late game. I have to think that was CA's intent...but it hasn't worked out that way so far.

I think the fixes are relatively simple and easily patch-able:

1. CW army size is matched against player's average army size. If player has 20-unit armies, then CW faction should also. They're already modeling CW army composition against player's composition; it would be even easier to match army size.
    2. Treat player's territory as "friendly" territory for the CW faction, not "hostile". The whole idea of civil war is that both sides are fighting on home territory. For example in Rome's case, a Senate Loyalist army is still a Roman army, and should not be starving to death as it marches in Italia or Magna Grecia.
    3. Give the CW faction some agents...who can be rather devastating when used to hinder army movement and block reinforcement (and the AI is capable of using them this way).

Good news!

Well, what the developers were trying to say was more that we're never ruling out options. It's not just me or the Community team that reads the feedback: it's the developers too. I think it was a huge surprise to see how passionately people felt about the family tree for the developers as it was never a part of ROME II. Up until release, I myself never heard anyone particularly keen on the family tree. It's one of those, "you don't know what you have until it's gone" situations, right? In any case, all I can really say is... we're not entirely ruling it out as an option for ROME II.
    EDIT: I really hope that CA listens to the community on this, because right now the #1 problem everyone seems to have with the game is the lack of depth to the political system and family members.

As a redditor pointed out, while maybe in Roman politics it wasnt centered around the nuclear family, in other political systems like Gallic and Germanic, it certainly was centered around dynastic rule.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 10-25-2013 at 14:51.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Members thankful for this post (2):

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

I think, CA is bluntly lying about torches. Torches were not added to "help the desperate player whose siege equipment got destroyed". Torches were added to help the AI do anything in sieges. It seems, abysmal sieges is something that plagues the AI in this engine starting with Empire TW. In Empire, Napoleon and Shogun 2 they added ninja climbing ropes to compensate for the AI's inability to deal with fortifications. In Rome 2, it's the torches...

Senior Member Senior Member Barkhorn1x's Avatar

Good news!

EDIT: I really hope that CA listens to the community on this, because right now the #1 problem everyone seems to have with the game is the lack of depth to the political system and family members.

As a redditor pointed out, while maybe in Roman politics it wasnt centered around the nuclear family, in other political systems like Gallic and Germanic, it certainly was centered around dynastic rule.
    Agreed that now that other issues have been - or will shortly be - addressed, internal faction politics is the #1 issue.
    "Après moi le déluge"

Quote Originally Posted by Slaists View Post
    I think, CA is bluntly lying about torches. Torches were not added to "help the desperate player whose siege equipment got destroyed". Torches were added to help the AI do anything in sieges. It seems, abysmal sieges is something that plagues the AI in this engine starting with Empire TW. In Empire, Napoleon and Shogun 2 they added ninja climbing ropes to compensate for the AI's inability to deal with fortifications. In Rome 2, it's the torches...
    Yes, that's what I think too ^^

Now sporting a classic avatar! Member fallen851's Avatar

That is a great news! I felt bad when you said you were "pretty disappointed that it seems like they won't be adding in a family tree" since you really appear to enjoy this game.
    "It's true that when it's looked at isolated, Rome II is a good game... but every time I sit down to play it, every battle, through every turn, I see how Rome I was better. Not unanimously, but ultimately." - Dr. Sane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6eaBtzqqFA#t=1h15m33s

Quote Originally Posted by Bramborough View Post
    I understand what the dev is saying about getting away from a family tree because not all government systems were based on such, and emphasizing politics more. Conceptually, I don't have a problem with this. The problem is that they took away something that people liked and identified with, and replaced it with an incomplete system that just doesn't "pop". I infer from the comments above that, while CA does not intend to go back to the tree in R2, they do recognize that politics has whiffed. Hopefully they will continue to work this during patches.

Frankly, even if we did have a family tree, the 1tpy-driven short life spans would remain...I'm not sure it would really drive us to care that much more about the individual characters.
    I actually think the family tree would drive me nuts. Sure, there was some family oriented succession in Rome, but man, so often, especailly in those earlier repiblic days before emperors and even then, it was based on merit of sorts (which, of course, means who raised the big army and kicked the most youknowwhat or the most reforms...thus...gravitas, gravitas makes historical sense). But ya, the system is incomplete feeling, poorly documented and not at all intuitive. I feel the main problem is how doggone fast the generals and faction members die. Haysus!

If they fix this system, it may be a better fit.

Medeival? Family Tree.

Medeival Japan? Family Tree.

Roman times? No Family Tree. This feels right.

That being said, even if they did it right, I think people have trouble with change and new systems and there would still be grousing.
    Last edited by Mhantra; 10-28-2013 at 21:03.

Good news!

This is a good point. Multiple systems will be needed, though possible based on the same sub systems.

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

The way you put it Mhantra makes sense, but it can still be viable. A rich family will try to exert influence and use its power, wealth and connections to get all its worthy members into key positions, married to people of key positions or preferably both. Rich men at the top of the food chain would also take promising young men and be their sponsor/patron, investing in their future and attempting to get them into a position of some power or influence, and by doing so, securing a grateful ally.

I could very well see a family tree as a great addition to the game, perhaps DLC worthy even. Worrying over your disgraced daughter, attempting to send young Marcus on campaign with the famous uncle Marius, securing at least a position as a centurion there and working his way up the ranks and in the craft of war... It can be done, if there is the desire to do so.
    Last edited by Myth; 10-28-2013 at 23:34.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by fallen851 View Post
    That is a great news! I felt bad when you said you were "pretty disappointed that it seems like they won't be adding in a family tree" since you really appear to enjoy this game.
    Damn straight I do.

Would people be interested if we petitioned to get CA to do our own forum-exclusive Q&A? Maybe we can build off of what we now know from the last Q&A on Reddit. The probability of them actually doing one here is low, as we have long been off CA's radar it seems, but its worth a shot.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 10-30-2013 at 04:18.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I don't think here's active enough for that.

Yeah, Im painfully aware of that, but considering weve been around for over a decade now, maybe they can throw us a bone. Especially since the Shogun 2 Q&A which we were promised was never delivered.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore