Thread: Age of Decadence

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Default Age of Decadence

I felt I needed more RPGs in my life. I browsed steam to see if there's anything there that would strike my fancy. And I discovered this gem. The demo in steam is the latest version of the open beta. It's basically a pseudo isometric RPG a-la Baldur's Gate / Fallout (1,2)

The character generation is based on main attributes which are a blend of DnD and S.P.E.C.I.A.L, a background and skillpoints. You get skillpoints after completing quests and from combat. But here's the catch - the game is very realistic (the setting is a post-apocalyptic Europe after the fall of the Roman Empire) in terms of combat and how people react. Going around flailing your iron longsword at people will get you killed. Fast.

See a band of 5 thugs harassing people? Normal RPGs would condition you to go and valiantly kill them all. Especially since you encounter them 5 minutes after the start of the game, so how tough can they be? Nope. Here you get your ass handed to you in .02 seconds flat.

Combat is the HARDEST way to go through the game, or so I read. You can also roll a completely social character and just talk and manipulate your way around. It looks very promising, seriously. Give it a try.
    Last edited by Myth; 11-20-2013 at 14:05.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Members thankful for this post (3):

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Age of Decadence

Sounds excellent, Myth. I'm in the same boat as yourself, looking for a good RPG to whle away the time until the next Dragon Age. Let us know what you think of the demo.
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

I've been following the progress of this game for years, but it's still not finished. I'm definitely going to play it, but I'm waiting for the final release. Incidentally, the same engine is also being used for Dead State, which I kickstarted.

The demo is wonderful. There are tons and TONS of dialogue and different outcomes available. The demo has more dialogue than the entirety of Planescape: Torment.

To become good at fighting you have to get well past the initial stage. No more level 1 fighters going around lobbing heads off. You can't be good at everything. You have to sacrifice either diplomacy/utility or fighting prowess or you will not go far. There are multiple ways to do things. for example:

To get past a gate guard you can:

- Go in rambo style
    - Climb the wall
    - Climb another wall but must take out guard first
    - Disguise yourself as a guard and walk in
    - Disguise yourself as a noble and walk in
    - Do a mini quest for the captain of the guard

Probably more options but this is what I got for that character I had rolled. There are entire quest chains which will be revealed only to certain types of characters, so there is tremendous replayability value.

TC I suggest yo give it a try. It has a lot of content and there is no particular reason to wait IMO.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    It has a lot of content and there is no particular reason to wait IMO.
    I'd prefer to experience the entire game in one go, rather than a piece of it now with the rest later. I've actively been following development of this game for about 6 years, so a little while longer won't be hard. In any case, I honestly don't think this thing is close to release. It's been one of the slowest developed games I've ever heard of, and it's coming up on 10 years of work now. They started taking pre-orders for this thing a year and a half ago, but they're still saying they're about 6 months away from a full release. Given their track record on development speed, I personally doubt it will be finished until 2015.

Oh well. I'll also give Baldur's Gade II Enhanced a try. Even though I have the two difficulty mods and the widescreen mod for the original game, I like the idea of epic level arena combat.

Blog Entries

Gave it a go yesterday... You're right, you die VERY easily. The very first Imperial Guard mission ended with me dead every time. Havent figured out how to leave town though... And the graphics are not aging prettily. I know, I know, how superficial. I do hope this gets some sponsorship. Is anyone else having trouble reading the tiny font?

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Font is fine for me as it scales with your resolution. I managed to make combat work for my assassin:

- early game (aka. "low level") characters are NOT good fighters
    - You must invest heavily in physical stats. 10 Agi is mandatory, 10 Str is highly recommmended.
    - If you skimp on Perception max out your weapon skill to at least 5 early (I personally don't skimp on it)
    - Dodge skill is your friend as it gives counter attacks and is the better defensive mechanic
    - 1v1 fights are doable, 1v2 is hard. Anything higher is suicide early on.
    - If you are low on Str do not fight heavily armored oponents without poison
    - Use a net/bola to disable your target
    - Use a bow/javelin to dump damage on the enemy. It's entirely possible to net them and pump 4 arrows with them (with 10 str that's 6+ damage per hit even with fast attack mode) and thus kill them before they get to you.
    - Get high DR armour vs a group of weaker opponents and use your doge for 1v1 fights.
    - 1v1 fights are about having more damage than your enemy and dropping them faster than they drop you.
    - Consider save scumming to get critical hits/key net or bola entangles etc.
    - Never get armour that limits your AP without a GREAT reason to do so.

Blog Entries

Been playing around some more... Have 1 high INT, CHA, PER character, and another high STR, DEX, CON... The first one is more fun to play with although he gets into much fewer fights!

IMO perception is much better than constitution.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    IMO perception is much better than constitution.

Is there any way to increase attributes beyond the initial character creation?

No, according to the FAQ. I heard that you can get up to +3 Str from somewhere but people roll combat characters with 10 str to be able to bring down the toughest enemies as fast as possible to have a chance, so I assume that's out as well.

Blog Entries

So this is a bit infuriating. Bought the 'full' version, but still can't figure out how to leave town, and I see that alchemist in the inn that gives you the 'demo' conversation... Me, of course 20$ poorer...

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Isn't it just a pre-purchase as the game isn't finished yet? I don't think the demo is any different for those who have pre-purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by SwordsMaster View Post
    So this is a bit infuriating. Bought the 'full' version, but still can't figure out how to leave town, and I see that alchemist in the inn that gives you the 'demo' conversation... Me, of course 20$ poorer...
    Yeah you basically pre-purchased the full game. To leave town enter your map screen and in the upper right hand side choose the world instead of just the town.

Blog Entries

Ok,thanks.