Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Gladiator: Houses Collide

Dark Lord of Sith Member Big Bird Hunting Champion, Squid Hunter Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Fun Surfing Champion Darth Feather's Avatar

Default Re: Gladiator: Houses Collide

I hope you learned a lesson in modesty, barbarian ! Nobody messes with Rome.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Nathaniël of the mouse guard

"Death is lighter than a feather, duty is heavier than a mountain" - Robert Jordan

The writer of above message is not responsible for any mistakes in the reasoning of said message.

Host Member Maeda Path Champion, Arkanoid Champion, 3D SuperBall Champion, Simon Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Breakout Champion Zain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stildawn View Post
    Very good lol.

Are we allowed to embellish and role play our own matches that we're not officially covered?
    Of course you are

Host Member Maeda Path Champion, Arkanoid Champion, 3D SuperBall Champion, Simon Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Breakout Champion Zain's Avatar

The Ludus

The ludus is the enclosure for all gladiators, where they are trained and housed. It was passed on to the Dominus from his father, who was in the same profession. The ground level is a gladiator ludus whilst the upper levels are the Dominus' villa.

The building, being situated on the edge of a mountainside, boasts a brilliant view over all of Capua.

The Layout:

The lower parts of the ludus are the areas for the gladiators. The entrance gate is here, which leads directly onto a training ground. One edge of this square is unwalled and falls off to a sheer cliff. Beyond the training ground is the eating area for the gladiators, and on this floor are their cells/rooms (only the gladiators of higher worth are allowed rooms of their own). The trainee gladiators and others sleep with a few others in cells similar to those in a prison. There is also a bathing area on this level.

A barred gate separates the gladiators from the living quarters above the ludus, which house the Dominus, his wife, and their slaves. The gate is locked every night when the gladiators are shut away for sleep. This upper area is far more lavish than the ludus below, befitting for a Roman citizen of moderate standing. The house burrows into the mountain behind and has a balcony overlooking the gladiator training area.

There is a general social area with an ornamental pool in the center and leading off from this are various other rooms, including the Dominus' sleeping quarters and a large pool that serves as a bath.

Living Quarters:

Aside from the House Champion and Doctore, who has their own separate rooms from the rest, all other gladiators share a cell with one or more others. They sleep in a barred cell, all under lock and key and guarded nightly. The only exits from the living quarters are two barred gates, one that enters the training grounds and one that enters the Lanista's Villa. Both of which are guarded nightly as well.

Training Grounds:

Wooden weapons and shields are typically used for training, which are openly available. Also heavy objects like logs and others sit available as well. Training is guided by the Doctore, who pairs gladiators for battle training, sets aside groups for weight training, and so forth.

As shown in the graphic as well as in the description, the training ground serves as the official entrance into the ludus which is heavily guarded at all times. Also the grounds has only 3 walls, as the fourth side is open to the vertical cliff which displays a spectacular view of the city.

This cliff is not scalable, the Romans of ancient times had not the equipment necessary to do so.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

(Both Major Ludi have the same layout, this is both for simplicity's sake and for the most part historically accurate)

I will be updating Post #1 to contain this information too.

If you have any more questions, desire for more detail, or anything of the like, I'm here to answer

Valentinus marked the neck of the fallen Retinarii with nothing more than a thin red line. As the cries of the crowd called for the veteran to keep his life, the powerful Gaulish Gallus lifted his blade and saluted the crowd. Valentinus silently gave thanks to his gods for watching over him and allowing him to overcome his first trial in the arena. He looked forward to the next, and was thankful for the victors purse which would no doubt make the coming days more comfortable, but in the meantime decided it was time to make some real money.

In observation of Christmas, it's apparent we won't see as much activity as normal. Understandably, because I've only received 4/11 orders, there will be a 24 hour extension on this round.

Also remember your Luck Factor DEPENDS on thread activity, and it doesn't roll-over from the previous round. Trust me, you want that on your side.

Time Remaining:

Dark Lord of Sith Member Big Bird Hunting Champion, Squid Hunter Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Fun Surfing Champion Darth Feather's Avatar

I'd rather not fight Roman citizens right away, so i think I am going to fight some barbarians at the next arena phase, or people from other Roman provinciae (who, admit it, are inferior to us, true Romans) I heard Lugo is from Epirus. So maybe I'll challenge him.

OOC: EDIT: C'mon, more discussion is more fun, why is nobody commenting?
    Last edited by Darth Feather; 12-26-2013 at 21:42.

"Death is lighter than a feather, duty is heavier than a mountain" - Robert Jordan

The writer of above message is not responsible for any mistakes in the reasoning of said message.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Feather View Post
    I hope you learned a lesson in modesty, barbarian ! Nobody messes with Rome.
    Well fought, Tullius. Perhaps you Romans are not so pathetic as your scrawny physiques and unattractive appearances would suggest.

I'd rather not fight Roman citizens right away, so i think I am going to fight some barbarians at the next arena phase, or people from other Roman provinciae (who, admit it, are inferior to us, true Romans) I heard Lugo is from Epirus. So maybe I'll challenge him.
    I understand your new condition brings a bit of confusion but please realize you can't fight any citizen, you are a simple slave without much value than any of my dogs at the moment. But of course those barbarians have less value than the fleas from my dogs, so I agree you should use them as the training dummies they are!

returning to the shadows.....

When Valentinus sips water from the dusty clay cup, he dreams of honeyed mead. While the Gaulish warrior drills in the yard of the Ludus, he dreams of sliding himself between the thighs of a noble Roman matriarch, and while the big moustachioed barbarian sits and prays to his Gods for guidance through his coming tasks, he dreams of a fearless mind, a strong arm and a sharp sword.

With a light heart and jovial manner, Valentinus sets about getting to know his 'house mates'. Any of House Avidius who frequent the yard and armoury outside formal training hours, will be subject to invitations from the humungous Gaulish warrior into dares and bets of increasingly ridiculous physical prowess. Valentinus uses comedy and sign language to make his point, despite having fluent conversational Roman. He speaks Latin only when necessary and embraces the cameraderie between those of Northern European heritage. Valentinus attempts to befriend the Veteranus Lugo - a house retinarius of similar status to Valentinus, and hopes to increase his abilities through regular sparring with his gladiatorial opposite.

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LazyMcCrow View Post
    With a light heart and jovial manner, Valentinus sets about getting to know his 'house mates'. Any of House Avidius who frequent the yard and armoury outside formal training hours, will be subject to invitations from the humungous Gaulish warrior into dares and bets of increasingly ridiculous physical prowess. Valentinus uses comedy and sign language to make his point, despite having fluent conversational Roman. He speaks Latin only when necessary and embraces the cameraderie between those of Northern European heritage. Valentinus attempts to befriend the Veteranus Lugo - a house retinarius of similar status to Valentinus, and hopes to increase his abilities through regular sparring with his gladiatorial opposite.
    Barbarian comedy is no comedy, barbarian sign language not understandable. Barbarians only say 'Bar bar bar bar'.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Quote Originally Posted by rickinator9 View Post
    Barbarian comedy is no comedy, barbarian sign language not understandable. Barbarians only say 'Bar bar bar bar'.
    Bah!

Quote Originally Posted by Riedquat View Post
    I understand your new condition brings a bit of confusion but please realize you can't fight any citizen, you are a simple slave without much value than any of my dogs at the moment. But of course those barbarians have less value than the fleas from my dogs, so I agree you should use them as the training dummies they are!

Curse you! I am in heart and soul still a citizen of this city, and will be one again soon.

Curse you! I am in heart and soul still a citizen of this city, and will be one again soon.
    May the Gods grant your wish... and make me richer in your ascending path! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    Bah!
    This statement just illustrates his point

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rickinator9 View Post
    Bar bar, bar? BAR BAr baR.

We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

The giant from Carthage jingled the coins in his hand, "This is the reward for taking a life? At least it was an easy victory."

Quote Originally Posted by Riedquat View Post
    May the Gods grant your wish... and make me richer in your ascending path! ;)
    As I'm sure Zain doesn't mind you posting here, we gladiators find it a mockery. Join our ranks or leave us be!

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Pappy View Post
    As I'm sure Zain doesn't mind you posting here, we gladiators find it a mockery. Join our ranks or leave us be!

Good luck to all!

Valentinus unimaginatively searches the Ludus for various heavy objects to lift, and while doing so congratulates those of his House who shared his initial success in the Arena.

I congratulate my comrades who became veteranus: Crossroad, stilldawn and rickinator. All of us are real Romans so it is Obvious why we won without any sweat.

Techie Rock Star Member crossroad's Avatar

I congratulate my comrades who became veteranus: Crossroad, stilldawn and rickinator. All of us are real Romans so it is Obvious why we won without any sweat.
    And congratulations to you as well DF! Though it is good that the northmen are here. We do need practice in the ring before the REAL battles take place!
    This is my Signature. Just imagine it being a mind blowing axiom.

Techie Rock Star Member crossroad's Avatar

It appears the loyal servant is more agreeable than the doctore in my PMs to the host. Is there only one loyal servant per house?
    This is my Signature. Just imagine it being a mind blowing axiom.

A few hours late but the Order Phase has ended! We will take 48 hours as of the end of that phase for Discussion/Challenges. Remember, thread activity is important. Don't forget!

I will be taking this time to process orders and post a write-up. Also for those of you who had dialogues with the Doctore/Loyal Servant going, they will continue until resolved.

Also remember, you MUST indicate that you wish to fight in the Arena. If we don't hear from you, you won't fight.

Time Remaining:

Senior Member Senior Member Jarema's Avatar

I want to fight in the arena!

I Challenge Lugo, the epeirote. He is clearly inferior to us, Romans, so deserves to be my training punchbag.

Valentinus will fight in the arena

Challenge: Mercato

In the event that it fails for Ferret, I would like to Challenge: Mercato

If not, Challenge: Claudius

Updated Character Cards have been sent and the Gladiator list updated. Cross-reference them and make sure they're correct please!

Also if you didn't get one that's because I didn't get your orders..

Keep the challenges up! Discussion has dropped this round, which could have negative effects on the battles overall...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast