Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Gladiator: Houses Collide

Techie Rock Star Member crossroad's Avatar

Default Re: Gladiator: Houses Collide

I'll wager 10d on myself.
    This is my Signature. Just imagine it being a mind blowing axiom.

And yes I do have 10d

Host Member Maeda Path Champion, Arkanoid Champion, 3D SuperBall Champion, Simon Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Breakout Champion Zain's Avatar

Phase ended last night, I apologize for the delay. I will be posting the results for the matches and wagers shortly, my family and I are leaving on vacation so please excuse the lack of amazingness.

Host Member Maeda Path Champion, Arkanoid Champion, 3D SuperBall Champion, Simon Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Breakout Champion Zain's Avatar

Arena Results:

Sextus vs. Gaius
    Gaius victor

Tullius vs. Lugo
    Tullius victor

Valentinus vs. Ashur
    Valentinus victor

Cato vs. Kerza
    Cato victor

Festus vs. Mercato
    Festus victor

Amulius vs. Duro
    Amulius victor

Ambustus vs. Sergius
    Ambustus victor

Cicero vs. Calavius
    Calavius victor

Berno vs. Claudius
    Berno victor

Decimus vs. Agron
    Decimus victor

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

It appears that everybody who lost last round won in this round, so everyone is Veterani!

I suspect that after the 6th we will get back to normal as far as activity is concerned, I am not worried, as even I am swamped. Forgive the long pauses, but we will just continue to crawl through these phases.

Order Phase 2 has begun!

Time Remaining:

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Feather View Post
    I am not (yet) wagering, as it would not be a wager because the result of the match against Lugo is as good as guaranteed.
    Yeah, that's just crazy talk, to be guaranteed money. Who would want that!

The Beast of Carthage raised his arms in triumph as he defeated his foe once again in the Arena. He was proving himself to be a formidable opponent, willing to do whatever it takes to ensure victory. Stepping back into the cell of combatants and seeing the fallen bloody corpses next to him, he reveled in his victory. He sat, back against the wall, and watched as his brothers took their chances on the sands. No man had yet to stand his equal, and he dares any should try.

Maybe he did a job or two, or he borrowed some money from someone .
    Or maybe he convinced the Loyal Servant to find someone to wager for him. But I think our host made a rule against that now.

Dark Lord of Sith Member Big Bird Hunting Champion, Squid Hunter Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Fun Surfing Champion Darth Feather's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crossroad View Post
    Yeah, that's just crazy talk, to be guaranteed money. Who would want that!
    It would be against the mos majorum. Even I think betting without a chance of loss is dishonest. Also: @Zain : did any of the NPCgladiators die?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Nathaniël of the mouse guard

"Death is lighter than a feather, duty is heavier than a mountain" - Robert Jordan

The writer of above message is not responsible for any mistakes in the reasoning of said message.

A few in the crowd cheered this time as Agron's body fell to the sand. It was much different than the first time when all who were Novicius were ignored, some even boo'd. Standing in the center of the ring, Decimus used his trident to remove his fallen opponents helmet and lift it high toward the heavens. The noise of all who were in attendance increased with intensity. He slowly stepped over his foe and pointed his trophy toward the crowd. That section cheered even more. He stopped and looked to the south, still holding trident in front of him. A few in the southern section clapped and waved. Decimus pointing his free hand at them and the cheers increased. With a slow rotation the helmet made its way toward the south section and all the citizens of Rome began to take notice. Pointing his trident the victor began a slow pace toward the south. The crowd cheered and some began to stand. The east and west waved with invitation for the gladiator to acknowledge them. Section by section Decimus randomly engaged the arena. The stadium seemed just as animated as if a Champion had just won a fierce battle. Finally, a section was chosen. Holding Agron's helmet high, Decimus made his way to the north section and held the helmet up to a young man in the front row. Wide eyed the boy took it with such glee that the whole stadium erupted in celebration and remained standing until Decimus exited the ring.

It would be against the mos majorum. Even I think betting without a chance of loss is dishonest. Also: @Zain : did any of the NPCgladiators die?
    In light of the holidays and inactivity, I expressed grace over the players and NPC's. So no, none of the players died this round. Don't expect such treatment next round

Dark Lord of Sith Member Big Bird Hunting Champion, Squid Hunter Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Fun Surfing Champion Darth Feather's Avatar

Tullius stood in the arena watching his sword. This new sword technique. It has been proved most effective against that Epirote. With this he knew he could win this gladiator tournament. The audience kept cheering for Tullius. He allmost killed the opponent, were it not that the organiser told him to refrain from doing so. He shouted: "Roma invicta Epirum vincit!!" The crowd kept cheering. Some senators, like Qumquatus however looked rather annoyed over Tullius calling himself a Roman. Worthy, Tullius left the ring to the next fighter.

"Death is lighter than a feather, duty is heavier than a mountain" - Robert Jordan

The writer of above message is not responsible for any mistakes in the reasoning of said message.

Valentinus felt sore and tired, but his second victory had not surprised him - His purse jangled at his waist. Now to see if his first 5d had been well spent in celebration with his fellow victors.

I Challenge Lugo, the epeirote. He is clearly inferior to us, Romans, so deserves to be my training punchbag.
    You claim mos majorum over coin and not a man's life?

You claim mos majorum over coin and not a man's life?
    Well.... essentially.... maybe I should have bet on myself

Fear, my next opponent. Due to intensive training, my strength is higher than ever. It will be harder to block any of my attacks and my blocks will be easier as well, cause my shieldarm would be stronger as well.

Valentinus shrugged - what would a man do other than intensively train? He felt no fear, his Gods had set him on this path and he was as prepared for his own blood to be shed as that of his opponents; should the crowd call for it.

Quote Originally Posted by LazyMcCrow View Post
    Valentinus shrugged - what would a man do other than intensively train? He felt no fear, his Gods had set him on this path and he was as prepared for his own blood to be shed as that of his opponents; should the crowd call for it.
    That's why Rome conquered Gaul. You Gauls bow down if you think you can't win. While Romans will keep fighting and come out on top in the end.

That's why Rome conquered Gaul. You Gauls bow down if you think you can't win. While Romans will keep fighting and come out on top in the end.
    Valentinus managed a dry smile. Having been on the receiving end of more than a couple of beatings in his time, not to mention being on the defeated side in battle, he didn't recall ever 'bowing down' at any point, but it appeared his life at least had been spared so far despite that. This Roman seemed to think that every result would be a glorious victory.

"Let's hope the first loss you encounter doesn't end your life, Roman - or you'll have missed your first chance to learn something"

I am not talking about the act of bowing down literally, but for a barbarian it might be hard to understand. I am talking about the attitude of being as ready to recieve a beating as to give one.

I am not saying Romans never get beaten, but they never give up. That's why in the end we will conquer the world.
    Last edited by Darth Feather; 01-06-2014 at 20:13.

Valentinus managed a dry smile. Having been on the receiving end of more than a couple of beatings in his time, not to mention being on the defeated side in battle, he didn't recall ever 'bowing down' at any point, but it appeared his life at least had been spared so far despite that. This Roman seemed to think that every result would be a glorious victory.

"Let's hope the first loss you encounter doesn't end your life, Roman - or you'll have missed your first chance to learn something"
    Tullius
    (Gallus)
    Height - 180cm (5'11")
    Weight - 94kg (207lbs)
    Strength - 8
    Endurance - 6
    Agility - 4
    Perception - 4

Valentinus
    (Gallus)
    Height - 185.5cm (6'1")
    Weight - 97kg (214lbs)
    Strength - 7.625
    Endurance - 5.625
    Agility - 4.125
    Perception - 4.125

Tullius vs. Valentinus ?

As we (both Tullius and Valentinus) are of different Houses I imagine that the 'exchanges' above were communicated in some way after the fights below the arena - before the Gladiators returned to their respective Ludi. Needless to say there is clearly a fine rivalry brewing between the two veteran Gallus (Galli?!) and as the pair look quite evenly matched, I am sure that the powers that be shall soon give the crowd what they want.

Valentinus regarded Tullius with an assessing eye, as the Gallus from House Lucidius continued his eulogy to Roman spirit. There was no doubt of his rivals strength, but he lacked Valentinus' size and reach. The Gaulish giant merely grunted and gave silent thanks to the Hooded Spirits (The figureheads of his warrior cult), for placing such a worthy challenge on the path before him.

A few in the crowd cheered this time as Agron's body fell to the sand. It was much different than the first time when all who were Novicius were ignored, some even boo'd. Standing in the center of the ring, Decimus used his trident to remove his fallen opponents helmet and lift it high toward the heavens. The noise of all who were in attendance increased with intensity. He slowly stepped over his foe and pointed his trophy toward the crowd. That section cheered even more. He stopped and looked to the south, still holding trident in front of him. A few in the southern section clapped and waved. Decimus pointing his free hand at them and the cheers increased. With a slow rotation the helmet made its way toward the south section and all the citizens of Rome began to take notice. Pointing his trident the victor began a slow pace toward the south. The crowd cheered and some began to stand. The east and west waved with invitation for the gladiator to acknowledge them. Section by section Decimus randomly engaged the arena. The stadium seemed just as animated as if a Champion had just won a fierce battle. Finally, a section was chosen. Holding Agron's helmet high, Decimus made his way to the north section and held the helmet up to a young man in the front row. Wide eyed the boy took it with such glee that the whole stadium erupted in celebration and remained standing until Decimus exited the ring.
    An Egyptian scribe in attendance on behalf of House Lucilius shook his head slowly and made a note in the ledger "DEDUCTION FROM WINNINGS - DECIMUS - 1 BRONZE HELMET"

An Egyptian scribe in attendance on behalf of House Lucilius shook his head slowly and made a note in the ledger "DEDUCTION FROM WINNINGS - DECIMUS - 1 BRONZE HELMET"
    How is that? In any legend or tradition, the victor in a fight gets the armor and weapons of the vanquished. From the top of my head for example Hector who took Patrocles' weapons and armor. Or Hercules who took the skin of the lion he slayed.

mmyeahhh - it was a joke ;P. I'd certainly be surprised if the Lanistas and guys who actually ran the show used to let the Gladiators take possession of the kit after the scrap, - they were slaves after all. But then; I have never studied Roman history (although I've seen the exhibition of Gladiators arms and armour in the Colesium in Rome). It would be cool to be able to personalise our equipment as we achieve further success in the game.... assuming we survive :)

OOC: Is anyone still reading this thread.

Tullius got some extra whips for stepping up for his fellow gladiator. You could hear the Lanista shout:" AND ARE YOU GOING TO PAY FOR THE HELMET? WELL.. ARE YOU?"

Member thankful for this post:

Tullius got some extra whips for stepping up for his fellow gladiator. You could hear the Lanista shout:" AND ARE YOU GOING TO PAY FOR THE HELMET? WELL.. ARE YOU?"
    As it were, the exploits of Decimus had caused some controversy. Some in attendance were shocked by the gall of a slave who clearly went beyond the boundaries of his roll. While others were in awe of the display of showmanship and counted the entertainment value as among the best of the day. Decimus gave Tullius a nod of appreciation for his support. Although the whip may finds its way to his back, Decimus smiled. His popularity had increased that day. Maybe his bounty would as well.
    Last edited by crossroad; 01-11-2014 at 16:10. Reason: DF quote left out.

OOC: - It's been 9 days Zain - update please!

Hey all, no I haven't died of some horrible natural disaster, nor has a pack of wild camels trampled me to death. I'm alive and well, now here's my excuses...

My final semester as an undergraduate started today, and like a good son I had traveled home to visit my family and take a break from all things scholastic. All technological uses vanished as well, as I found myself actually... outside!

I plan to kickstart this story within the next day or two, I look forward to continuing this adventure with you all, if you will have me back from my unannounced hiatus.

Members thankful for this post (2):

OK. I'd sent a message to Zain, but with no response as yet. As the game has clearly stalled, I've also PM'd the moderator known as Chatois. Hopefully he can get it bump-started. I'd like to keep playing if Zain is keen to persevere, but the lack of information has left me feeling like it won't. As such, I shall withdraw from this game, so I can play others. Zain - please let us know if the game will continue at your earliest convenience.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast