Thread: Wow! They really did make it harder.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Wow! They really did make it harder.

Greetings fellow strategy gamers,

As a veteran of every TW game, starting with the original Shogun, I am perplexed by this game. Granted I haven't played for a couple of years, but I remember enough (and have read enough threads here) to know that this one is special. My son got me the game and the expansion pack with the Otomo, so I'm losing my third attempt at the Otomo on hard.

I might have won the first two attempts if I had read the guides here ahead of time. I should have consolidated my empire once I reached 4 or 5 provinces. I especially should have paid more attention to diplomacy and trade. I don't see any way I could have won the third attempt, but it's not quite over yet.

In the first game, I defeated the clan to my west (sorry, I haven't memorized the names yet) to gain a total of 5 provinces. I then decided to continue blocking the crossing to my island (as I have done every game) with my navy and take the southern island before moving on to the main island. I would not have been over stretched had my dishonorable purple allies to the south not attacked me from behind as I was preparing my second invasion of the island. Once that happened, a random clan attacked my navy opening the crossing from the big island to my enemies to the east. It was a rout from there.

In my second game, I blocked the crossing and defeated my enemy to the west, then decided to clear my island before going any farther. When I attacked my dishonorable allies, I lost their trade and immediately went bankrupt. I could still hold my own, until a random clan declared war and landed in an undefended province by sea. Game over.

I don't want to cut my difficulty setting. I already gave up very hard for hard in Empire, but I might have to start with an easier clan. Still, this clan was a gift from my son, so I'll give it a couple of more tries before I go to an easier clan. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

Default Re: Wow! They really did make it harder.

BTW, I'm really excited about realm divide. In previous TW games, once I had 15 provinces, the game was won. The only exception was Rome,, Barbarian Invasion, where a large empire had a chance to lose.

I'm hardly one to give you advice, but I will anyway - at least a little.

Your basic strategy sounds okay - consolidating the island. Based on your description of the second game, perhaps you should seek some allies or trading partners on the mainland. That way when you inevitably are in conflict with your neighbors*, you don't take such a big trade hit to the economy.

But you are right, TWS2 definitely stepped up the challenge - at least initially. Oh how I remember the wailing and gnashing of teeth from most all the players as the game handed them their heads. That eventually changed over the course of time.

* See below

This space intentionally left blank

Not much to add, but this is one TW release that really makes it worthwhile to use all the tools you are given.
    Maltz wrote a number of stories that are excellent guides to each facet of gameplay; all are good reads: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...ait-Tactics-10
    (links to his other guides are in his sig)
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Thanks for the replies. I will definitely check out those guides, HopAlong.

I have completed a campaign as Otomo and i remember, a few things, first completely control your island by military conquest and at the same time build a desent navy and rush for the trade posts at the east of the map.
    Research the technologies that gives high honor to the Daimio, as well as use him to as many battles as posible so his honor goes up and the diplomatic barriers goes down.
    Use, your missionaries, in my campaign they were a super weapon, for turning the conquered populations to christians and also to incite unrest to the buddist held provinces, ( the more the buddist population the higher the posibility to achive it),where there are no big garrisons and it will be easy for a rebbel army to take the castle.
    With that way you will be able ro take provinces from factions that you are not at war with since after the rebels takes their casles you will be attacking the cristian rebbels that hold it.
    I was able to conquer 10-15 provinces that way, during the whole campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by nearchos View Post
    I have completed a campaign as Otomo and i remember, a few things, first completely control your island by military conquest and at the same time build a desent navy and rush for the trade posts at the east of the map.
    Research the technologies that gives high honor to the Daimio, as well as use him to as many battles as posible so his honor goes up and the diplomatic barriers goes down.
    Use, your missionaries, in my campaign they were a super weapon, for turning the conquered populations to christians and also to incite unrest to the buddist held provinces, ( the more the buddist population the higher the posibility to achive it),where there are no big garrisons and it will be easy for a rebbel army to take the castle.
    With that way you will be able ro take provinces from factions that you are not at war with since after the rebels takes their casles you will be attacking the cristian rebbels that hold it.
    I was able to conquer 10-15 provinces that way, during the whole campaign.
    Good advice Nearchos. The missionaries do seem to be the most powerful force in the clan. I hadn't thought of christian rebellions as the primary force of conquest, but why not?

Attempt number 3 is now officially a failure. Will begin attempt number 4 tonight.

Well, thanks to Maltz, Nearchos, and Miss Froggybeast, attempt number 4 is going pretty well. A dozen moves, one enemy wiped out, one kept at bay, and only one new one made (who I want anyway).

I may attempt to put a game into story when I play Rome 2. That looks like a fun project. I don't know enough Japanese history to do it well with Shogun, but I spent a lot of time studying the Roman world. I only use Windows (on Bootcamp on my Mac) for games, so I need to figure out how to do screen shots on it (It can't be much harder than on Mac) and after I finish Shogun I'll start. Maltz has some great ones as do others.

Member thankful for this post:

Well, for the last week, the real world had interfered with the TW world. Finally I had a chance to go back in time before the Tachibana attacked and avoid the mistake of sending a ninja into their territory. They attacked anyway. This time, I am more prepared for them and may survive the attack. The Ouchi attack has left them "feeble" in military power, so the only threat now is the Tachibana and maybe the Ho. Of course someone could land by sea as happened in another attempt, but I feel better about this one.