Thread: Vladimir Putin

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Default Vladimir Putin

Accurate sketch or western propaganda?

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26769481

Some see him as a principled counter to the west. Does he have principals?

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Default Re: Vladimir Putin

He is first and foremost a thief and has been that way for at least a decade.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Ok, we can close the thread. rvg has spoken and his arguments are flawless.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    Ok, we can close the thread. rvg has spoken and his arguments are flawless.
    The padawan is finally learning not to question the master. Good, very good.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is still my favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    Time Headline across the world - September 16th
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Members thankful for this post (10):

+ Show/Hide List

Quote Originally Posted by rvg View Post
    Let me guess, you didn't read a word and just jumped to your echo chamber conclusions. Fox News is proud of you.

Regardless, I think the article did its best to be objective. I especially liked the part about how again and again people mistakenly look for depth, lies and hidden agendas when he talks, when in fact history has shown that he should be taken at face value.

What you hear is what he say.

That's just so... unpoliticianish.

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

His closest American equivalence seems to be the neocon.

Low focus on international respect of laws. Low focus on economics (this is going to hurt Russia hard economically). High focus on macho manliness. High focus on national supremacy.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Member thankful for this post:

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

The article itself, while interesting, doesn't bring anything new for discussion.

Since 1999, we've been hearing about imminent collapse of Russian economy, mass protest against his dictatorship that will happen any day now, serious consequences of military actions, isolation on world stage...

After 15 years, it hasn't happened. "Experts" might wanna rethink their statements, especially when comparing SU and Russian Federation.

Ironically, his approval rating was lowest since 1999 and than Ukraine crisis propelled him up in the comfortable 60-70%...

Well, maybe that's because Russia's ills are more chronic than progressive.

The problem with Russia, more even than pure demographics or economic in-diversity is that it's so fragmented. Without authoritarian leadership, Russia simply could not remain a unified country - and it's not just a matter of bits here and there from the South and East. It's a Catch-22: better transport infrastructure and stronger civic institutions would foster more national unity than opportunistic jingoism and an iron fist, but those take time to develop, and in that time and by their very nature, they would break Russia apart. To put it another way, it's sort of like the dilemma faced by Gorbachev.

But the United States kind of doesn't want Russia to totally dissolve, for obvious reasons. So get comfortable with the back-and-forth, with or without Putin.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by rvg View Post
    I'd say at least two decades.

I find it highly unlikely that he wasn't stealing stuff right, left and center before he came to power. It is, after all, the Russian Way(tm).
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    I'd say at least two decades.

I find it highly unlikely that he wasn't stealing stuff right, left and center before he came to power. It is, after all, the Russian Way(tm).
    Blatant racism. I absolutely LOVE it, welcome to the fold HT.

Anyway, I don't think Putin is in a position to look for monetary gains. Nor was he when he gained office.

Putin's financial records are probably not lily white but thing they are probably considerably whiter than those of his rivals. Avarice is not really a particularly glaring weakness of his (at least not when compared to your garden variety politician, say a British MP). More importantly as someone with ties to the FSB he knows about the vices of his would be rivals and the closets they use for skeleton storage, since his would be rivals pay the FSB and civil servants protection money to keep the government from meddling in their affairs.
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 03-28-2014 at 22:49.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    Blatant racism. I absolutely LOVE it, welcome to the fold HT.
    I fail to see how pointing at how Russian officials are corrupt is racism.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    Anyway, I don't think Putin is in a position to look for monetary gains. Nor was he when he gained office.
    Yeah, I'm sure he made himself a billionaire to support the needy children.

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    I fail to see how pointing at how Russian officials are corrupt is racism.
    One Russian historian (Nicholas Karamzin) back in the late 18th century went on a trip to Europe. In France which had a Russian expat community he was asked what was going on in Russia. He answered: "Theft."

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    My favorite president (politics aside, of course) has some paintings that Putin ought to check out.

George W Bush paintings on display http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-26890910

Those are actually pretty cool and quite sharply observed.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

I don't much care for Bush jr.
    It might not be him personally, but he headed (was figurehead) for the worst exploitation of the "politics of fear". I have no respect for that...ever.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

I prefer Hitler's paintings, they also look better.

http://www.socialphy.com/posts/art/8...Paintings.html

Of course I also admire his intelligence, wit, humor and how he had this realistic self-image and stayed down-to-earth-genuine in his ways.
    Just too bad that he was later blamed for starting a war when he was merely trying to stem the tides as the head of a genuinely evil administration that really thought it was doing the right thing though...

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    I prefer Hitler's paintings, they also look better.

http://www.socialphy.com/posts/art/8...Paintings.html
    ...vienna's fine arts academy rejected that? Jesus what did you need to do to get in, fully depict each ass hair of every rat in the gutters of a 30 ft square depiction of the entire florentine skyline?
    Of course I also admire his intelligence, wit, humor and how he had this realistic self-image and stayed down-to-earth-genuine in his ways.
    Just too bad that he was later blamed for starting a war when he was merely trying to stem the tides as the head of a genuinely evil administration that really thought it was doing the right thing though...
    Should have mentioned the drugs, nothing pushes up a hitler sympathy diatribe better than noting the coctail of mind altering drugs hitler's doctors used to keep him "healthy".
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    ...vienna's fine arts academy rejected that? Jesus what did you need to do to get in, fully depict each ass hair of every rat in the gutters of a 30 ft square depiction of the entire florentine skyline?

Should have mentioned the drugs, nothing pushes up a hitler sympathy diatribe better than noting the coctail of mind altering drugs hitler's doctors used to keep him "healthy".
    If I recall, they said he was technically competent, but lacking individual style - they felt his work was merely derivative. According to his grandchildren, he used to go on big rants about how rubbish the impressionist masters were.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Take a look at the proportions(which is what an art academy cares about).

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Hell, his dad was even cooler. Bush Sr. was everything from a ww2 fighter pilot to the architect of illegal and frankly immoral covert wars in South America as head of the CIA before being president.
    I thought 41 flew Avengers. Oh well, neither here nor there. He was the then youngest ever navy pilot; did head the CIA, also served as our inaugural ambassador to the PRC.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

I think it was a Wild Cat (F4F), on show at the Museum at Washington DC.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

Wiki says Seamus wins:

After Bush's promotion to Lieutenant (junior grade) on August 1, 1944, the San Jacinto commenced operations against the Japanese in the Bonin Islands. Bush piloted one of four Grumman TBM Avenger aircraft from VT-51 that attacked the Japanese installations on Chichijima.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_...h#World_War_II

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

I think its telling that he was effectively a minor officer posted to east gernmany.

Thinks he can rerun the soviet times with a differing result.

I would say that Russia will collapse sometime around middle of century if Purin keeps on the way he is going.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gaelic cowboy View Post
    I think its telling that he was effectively a minor officer posted to east gernmany.

Thinks he can rerun the soviet times with a differing result.

I would say that Russia will collapse sometime around middle of century if Purin keeps on the way he is going.
    He wants to be the person in charge of Russia (Check).

He wants Russia to be thought of, treated as, and respected for being a world power (in progress).

Identity is the most powerful of needs.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

I've always liked the idea of Russia joining NATO, and about four or five years ago I thought the US made a mistake in refusing Russian help in Afghanistan, but these days its looking like Russia wants more than to be anybody's partner.
    I think Russia wants to be recognized. The West often ignores Russia entirely unless it's inevitable to recognize it. And when Russia is mentioned, it's usually in a negative way, like they're standing in the way of our holy invasion or bombing campaign.