Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: New SS 6.4 HS: preparations thread (2 turns per week)

Default Re: New SS 6.4 HS: preparations thread (2 turns per week)

I am back. Had a terrible time stranded out of state with my vehicle broken down. It's a shame.

So this hotseat does not require any extra files, correct?

It's just SS 6.4? What are the settings?

So will we wait for Myth to come back i guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Luka View Post
    So will we wait for Myth to come back i guess?
    No.

Invicta, run one for us!
    I demand that!

Quote Originally Posted by Emproment View Post
    I am back. Had a terrible time stranded out of state with my vehicle broken down. It's a shame.

So this hotseat does not require any extra files, correct?

It's just SS 6.4? What are the settings?
    Settings of the HS: H/H, Late Era, Savage AI,Longer assimilation and Disable Real Recruitment checked

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tonno View Post
    No.

Invicta, run one for us!
    I demand that!
    Invicta has a pretty solid save already. Quite frankly, i see no reason not to use it. We should trust one another. It's how we roll in the org. I will still admin the game and make judgement calls when necessary, which is the main requirement for an external admin.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

I think that any player who plays should not have access to the console commands.

If anyone has admin password and plays, I refuse to play, sorry.

I think that the admin pass isn't set on invicta's save and can't be used.As far as i know the save would have to be rerun with admin pass set and jiub and tavix are the onew who will have acces to it so i belive they could do it.

As far as invicta's save goes the Byzies in that save were in a position that was even worse than the starting one.All the army structures in Constantinople(where the best units are recruited) were destroyed and only one fortress was in Byzies posesion so there was no way to make a proper army with them.

It's still messed up for anyone who is playing to have admin password.

Even the most simple toggle_fow command could give these admin-players too much of an advantage and there is no way to ever know they were using that.

Not to mention all of the other havoc they could wreak. And if everyone thinks they are trustworthy enough, then what is the difference for only having 1 admin? I am confident that Myth seems active enough or could find a replacement admin if he was go away for a while, that we can get away with only 1 admin who is not playing.

Guys the saves I posted are just the result of my trials to show what I get with the latest tweaks. There's no admin password on my saves and console is enabled. Those save are not meant to be used for the HS.

I posted the latest also to show Myth the good save I got so that he has an idea of what he could get by running the setup multiple times.
    I post it here too to keep you all updated about what we're doing and keep the process as transparent as possible.
    I asked Jiub to try to get make a save, in order to help Myth, and increase the chances of getting a good save . He tried today but didn't get anything playable.
    He'll try again tomorrow.
    I understand everybody is eager to play and start (I'm too), but we're trying to make things right. Skip-a-few will save us many months spent in just developing, and getting the right save (rather than the first we get) we'll offer everybody a challenging and entertaining campaign.
    If the setup is not good, someone will get a too easy to manage and overpowered faction, and someone else will get a hopeless faction.
    From past experiences, we all know that no one will enjoy that (no one wants either a too easy or a hopeless campaign, while rather the right challenge).

@Emproment: Jiub and Tavix (they'll be the 2 players to keep the admin pswd) are among the most trusted players. I guarantee 100% that they won't abuse in any shape of form.
    If I didn't trust them blindly I wouldn't have asked them to help the HS as co-admin.
    I understand you might be skeptical, but I'm HSing since 4 years, and without false modesty, I think I have a better understanding of player's character better than anyone else, since I'm the one who caught all the admin-cheaters in the Twcenter section.
    Players who cheated (as admin too) in the past, had the common traits to be bad loser (like leaving the campaigns with some excuse while losing), tried to win admin ruling at any cost, exploit loopholes in the rules, break rules frequently at any costs and some other traits I won't mention. This doesn't mean that a bad loser or trying to exploit loopholes is a cheater (just to be clear). But that a cheater is always a bad loser is true.
    Jiub and Tavix not only have none of those traits, but they never had any suspicious behavior.
    Other players in this HS fits also the same reliability as Jiub and Tavix, but I chose them as I thought they are the oldest (and as such the most proven, although I didn't know Makrell was even older than them as a player).
    All in all if I trust them to keep the admin pswd more than myself, that should say something. If I can trust them, I believe you should too.
    Last edited by sonnet; 06-27-2014 at 22:38.

Trusting someone more than yourself is nonsensical.

You can be married to someone for 20 years and one day they can still surprise you.

EDIT: My problem is not with trust. My problem is with the issue. Why hold a gun to your head with someone you trust who has finger on the trigger? You can just put the gun down and their trust is never called into question.
    Last edited by Emproment; 06-27-2014 at 22:39.

EDIT: My problem is not with trust. My problem is with the issue. Why hold a gun to your head with someone you trust who has finger on the trigger? You can just put the gun down and their trust is never called into question.
    How did you get that trust into that person...
    hypothetically speaking.
    Last edited by Tonno; 06-27-2014 at 22:43.

You can be married to someone for 20 years and one day they can still surprise you.

In a matter of fact they are too good at cheating ..

im just kidding . the biggest problem will be the subbing part . you really have to realize why do we need to start a perfect HS when we can sustain it proper, we need more people to sub or skip etc , and since this will be a fast HS i think the fun part should be compensate with this issue.

i already forget about the ruling issue or cheating . in TWC there is a total mess on this cheating thing . one admin that is not a part of a HS can t check things or he don t care since there is no gain for him .

I explained already why we need 2 players to help as co-admin (read the post linked and the following 2 to it):
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...post2053598738

But to make the story short: to keep the schedule we need the presence of someone with the admin pswd (to reset the saves) in case
    a player misses is turn without giving a warning and naming a subber.
    Myth can't cover for us 24 hrs 7 days a week. It would be absurd to expect that. As also we can't load him with too many tasks (and the faster the HS, the bigger is the burden for the admin), like constantly resetting pswd (after a while it gets unfunny, all who like me have been external admins know that). Better preserve the external admin for the most important tasks like checking player's saves and ruling and fining when someone does something wrong.
    Last edited by sonnet; 06-27-2014 at 22:51.

Well crap, I know who I am allying then. No sense warring an admin.
    Last edited by Myth; 06-28-2014 at 08:25. Reason: Language

Well crap, I know who I am allying then. No sense warring an admin.
    you are going to fight against one of the best admins on TWC history , that means you are dead already . lol

but he promises he will never use the console , and i believe him but ... i think i don t , but i don t care !
    is not like you will earn any money from this .
    Last edited by Myth; 06-28-2014 at 08:26. Reason: Language

I hope no one gets surprised when I am warring an admin and I bitch and moan with every turn. :)

I hope no one gets surprised when I am warring an admin and I bitch and moan with every turn. :)
    If you read the link I posted, I offered Yuonyuon a simple solution, which is the same that I offer to you: help me finding 2 external admins to help Myth with the tasks. You have every right to complain and not trust player with admin pswd, but then offer me an alternative. People are complaining about the HS not being ready, imagine when we might have to wait days (yes admins have a life and might be absent too..) for pswd reset or checks and so on..

PS: Personally i won't have any issue warring a player with admin pswd. You're relatively new to HSing, but when I started admin-player where the standard, and I fought them in every HS with no issue. Some of them cheated, yet they lost regardless. Some other fought honorably. Not all the people are the same. Just because some is a cheater doesn't mean everyone is.
    Some player was not admin, yet it was able to cheat so heavily (using the mov.bug) that many HS where compromised and shut down (Sogesu, incidentally he was discovered by me..).
    Last edited by sonnet; 06-28-2014 at 00:28.

I would say a good alternative is:

Be patient. Play a hotseat that takes a few days longer.

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

How about two extra admins from the .ORG? @Nightbringer and @Nigel ? Also, is @Vasilefs still around? NB and Nigel, we need you as my co-admins for this game. Basically to cover me when i'm not around. There is a lot of work and no pay involved. I'll sign you guys right up.
    Last edited by Myth; 06-28-2014 at 08:31.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    How about two exgra admins from the .ORG? @Nightbringer and @Nigel ? Also, is @basileos still around? NB and Nigel, we need you as my co-admins for this game. Basically to cover me when i'm not around. There is a lot of work and no pay involved. I'll sign you guys right up.
    Sounds good to me and seems the best solution in this matter. I dont want to raise suspicions at any point of the game of cheating or whatever.

Butcher of Blaviken Member Jiub's Avatar

I presume that means that I'm no longer needed to hold the password.
    Darn it, I really wanted to win this one. :)))

Members thankful for this post (2):

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    How about two extra admins from the .ORG? @Nightbringer and @Nigel ? Also, is @Vasilefs still around? NB and Nigel, we need you as my co-admins for this game. Basically to cover me when i'm not around. There is a lot of work and no pay involved. I'll sign you guys right up.
    They don't look very active to me... and Nigle wasn't on since the last month.

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

Sure, I can step in when you're away @Myth
    Moderator of The Throne Room
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Jiub View Post
    I presume that means that I'm no longer needed to hold the password.
    Darn it, I really wanted to win this one. :)))
    +Rep

With no players able to reset the passwords everytime is needed, I'll have to enforce the nomination of the official subber before the HS starts. Each player needs to name an official subber, and give to that player his password.
    Passwords will be assigned to each one of us by @Myth (I'll ask him) and you need to use those.
    You need to choose (strongly preferred) as your official subber, a player who comes either before or after your turn.
    Alternatively you can choose a player who plays in your same time-slot but in different days.
    You won't be allowed to play unless you have passed your password to the your official subber (which you need to declare publicly, so that I can put it in the first page)

Me and Jiub will sub each other.

I still say those two guys can't subb us on time. The HS will lose time.

Well guys, I don't care what you say, I am subbed by Invicta!

Loose Cannon and I will sub each other.

Loose Cannon and I will sub each other.
    lol

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast