Thread: launch error

Default launch error

sorry guys .. i installed mtw2 kingdoms .. patched it to 1.05 .. and installed eb2 .. but then i get this error Click image for larger version. 

Name:	launch error.png 
Views:	879 
Size:	587.1 KB 
ID:	14155 .. can you please help me?

Default Re: launch error

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

********************Medieval II suffered a fatal error and will now exit.*************************

So, tried to install EB2, and instead of getting to play it, I instead got the above error preventing me now from playing MTW2 at all.

I have verify files repeatedly, makes no difference. I deleted the local files, not once, but twice (on the 2nd one I manually removed the entire directory and made sure Kingdoms. was not still listed as an installed game), also made no difference.

No matter what I do, I get the same error: "Medieval II suffered a fatal error and will now exit."

Now there has got to be a reason this is happening and a way to resolve it, I mean at this point I'm at bare metal install for this thing, it is as if I just bought it for the first time, and yet it won't run.

Any suggestions?

Yes, try this and be sure to check the contents of launch.bat(it should have 2 lines):
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post14048532

This issue trumps the launcher, MTW2 will not launch now, no idea what installing EB2, or attempting to, did here.

But all I get from attempting to use the launcher is error codes about not finding medieval2.exe. Which isn't really any more useful to me at this point than the fact that I now can't get MTW2 to run at all, even just from attempting to run it stripped clean of any mod, because, as I said above, I get the following error:

Medieval II suffered a fatal error and will now exit.

Forgot to mention, subject at the top of this little error box says CA_LIBS.

If you cannot get vanilla M2TW to run, EB2 cannot either.

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Exactly. So any ideas what EB2 install does that would put me where I am?

Figured it out finally, it was a launch command line dash I had left in that prevented the game from seeing medieval2.exe.

I'll re-install EB2 and have another go tonight
    Last edited by easytarget; 08-27-2014 at 12:59. Reason: added 2nd line

Post Re: launch error

I had a similar problem with a mysterious CA_LIBS error.
    It turned out to be caused by the Steam launcher configuration, which I had changed in order to play Stainless Steal some time ago an then forgot it .

Symptoms:
    1) you have the Steam version of the game
    2) you had installed mods in the past
    3) you can't launch EB, Kingdoms or M2TW through steam but you can launch medieval2.exe directly or maybe some mods (I could still play SS6.4)
    4) uninstalling/reinstalling doesn't help (I tried 2 times)

The cause of the problem was that the Steam launcher was specifying another mod to be launched and I guess this conflicted with the EB launcher. To resolve this:
    1) Right click on Medieval 2 Total War from the Steam Game Library and select Properties.
    2) Click on “SET LAUNCH OPTIONS…”
    3) If you see something like "--features.mod=mods/name_of_the_mod_folder" in there, delete it.

That fixed the problem for me. I hope it helps!

Member thankful for this post:

Ludens 

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: launch error

Thanks for letting us know.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Copied into the installer problem solutions, thanks!

================
    ================

The Dagger, you are a hero!

I had reinstalled M2TW twice in the last few days but could not get vanilla M2TW to work. Deleting the options that were left in launch options did the trick.

Thanks for posting such a clear solution. Off to install EB2 now.