Thread: shared.txt:{GERR_GENERIC}

Default shared.txt:{GERR_GENERIC}

I have the downloaded version. I did not download from steam but I do not know if that means it is not the same version or not. I have patched the game and I have UAC off.

disc shortcut asks for the disc.

steam shortcut gives me

shared.txt:{GERR_GENERIC}

I tried this

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...before-posting!

"Brilliant badger, unfortunately a significant number of users get these errors. It is usually fixed by getting this file.

Extract it into M2TW\mods\EBII\data, where M2TW means the path where your Medieval 2 game is installed. Then try to run the game again.

If that didn't work, you can try once again. For a few people, it works the second time around.

-----------

If it still doesn't work, there is another thing you can try short of starting over and reinstalling the whole thing. You need java installed, and you need to have done the permissions step (found under "I have tried the files in the items above, and am still not getting the game to run.") first.

* Go to M2TW/documentation/tools, and open build_scripts.ini.
    * Update it with the location where you have java installed.
    * Go to M2TW/documentation/tools/cuf, and run build_strings_bin.wsf. It should run for at least 20 seconds.

Then try again. This step can also be repeated if necessary."

Whenever i run build_strings_bin it says -

Error: Java was not found on the 'PATH'

I tried this

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/path.xml

and still the same error occurs.

I re-installed and still get the same errors. If I can get the game to read the Java.exe I am still unsure if this will fix the txt problem.

What else can I do?

Default Re: shared.txt:{GERR_GENERIC}

Forgot to add, to re-install ME2 I have to download the ENTIRE game again from amazon and it takes 6 hours.

I do not recommend buying the download version from amazon as I had a slew of problems just getting ME2 to run, not to mention the loading time.

edit: also I just noticed I am unable to play any of the expansion pack of ME2. I am sure there is a fix at securom.com but i should not have to "fix" a brand new game.
    Last edited by moriluk; 08-31-2014 at 20:31.

one more thing if it is relevant. I just found a file in my EBII folder called hs_err_pid3204
    it is long but it starts like this

A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
    #
    # EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x6e855c7d, pid=3204, tid=3556
    #
    # JRE version: 7.0_17-b02
    # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (23.7-b01 mixed mode, sharing windows-x86 )
    # Problematic frame:
    # V [jvm.dll+0x95c7d]
    #
    # Failed to write core dump. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client versions of Windows

looking into it I found a proposed solution to search the jmv.dll+0x95c7d file on my computer and give it permission. Unfortunately I could not find said file. if needed I will upload the whole file.

Quote Originally Posted by moriluk View Post
    [..]

* Go to M2TW/documentation/tools, and open build_scripts.ini.
    * Update it with the location where you have java installed.
    * Go to M2TW/documentation/tools/cuf, and run build_strings_bin.wsf. It should run for at least 20 seconds.

Then try again. This step can also be repeated if necessary."

Whenever i run build_strings_bin it says -

Error: Java was not found on the 'PATH'
    Double check path line, there are some mistakes in subcatalog names of java in default config.

build-strings-bin.wsf worked fine for me but still didn't resolve a problem.

Thanks for the reply. I will look into this. But I am getting into unfamiliar territory here. Are you referring to the build? Is it that all instances of "7.0_17" should be "8.0_20". I just noticed this. It is repeatedly mentioned in various forums about that being an issue. Even so I am unsure how to actually "check the path line".

I retried everything because for some reason I had java.exe in two different places. I had both JRE and JDK versions in my Java folder. By the description here seems I want JRE? http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...ads/index.html Or am I wrong? Or does it matter? Clearly I am ignorant in matters of java.

Also if it matters, all .bin files are associated with VLC. Is this a problem? I uninstalled VLC and still had teh same errors. Should my .bin files be associated with another program? I ask because I searched for shared.txt and there is .bin file with that name.

One other thing regarding my third post, my pc has minidumps enabled, I am not sure what "client versions of Windows" means.

Even so I am unsure how to actually "check the path line".
    In build_scripts.ini there is a path to your java.exe, by default it has wrong subcatalog names (at least it had for my version), so just make sure the path to exe file is right, also remember to update it again if you reinstalled the game.

I retried everything because for some reason I had java.exe in two different places. I had both JRE and JDK versions in my Java folder. By the description here seems I want JRE? http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...ads/index.html Or am I wrong? Or does it matter? Clearly I am ignorant in matters of java.
    Yes, jre is what you need, jdk is for developers/programmers.

Also if it matters, all .bin files are associated with VLC. Is this a problem? I uninstalled VLC and still had teh same errors. Should my .bin files be associated with another program? I ask because I searched for shared.txt and there is .bin file with that name.
    It doesn't matter at all, bin extension has wide variety of content and can be associated with many programs (also videos that's why it automatically associated with vlc), but in this case it's prolly archive/data package.

[QUOTE=ihuedge;2053613775]In build_scripts.ini there is a path to your java.exe, by default it has wrong subcatalog names (at least it had for my version), so just make sure the path to exe file is right, also remember to update it again if you reinstalled the game.

edit: I fiixed the path but still get GENN_GENERIC error.
    Last edited by moriluk; 09-01-2014 at 20:36.

I figured out how to fix MEII so the kingdoms expansion plays.

With this I now tried "disc version" and it worked. Now I am at this stage...

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...061-Shared-txt
    Last edited by moriluk; 09-06-2014 at 15:36.

Could you try to extract this into your mods/EBII/data/text folder?

Attachment 14325

Edit: Updated the attachment link to a fixed version.
    Last edited by bovi; 09-08-2014 at 11:36.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

I have the same problem; did all you mentioned above; problem still exists
    thanks for all the information anyway

Can the java-version be wrong (outdated or ...)?

Preferably, you should have Java 7. What version are you currently using?

I am using verion 8; latest update 1.8.0_20

Got the game running after:

- I re-installed MTW to the rootdirectory of D:\ drive.
    - I edited the [java]-tag of buid-scripts.ini to point to the place where my JAVA is installed.

[java]
    Exe = C:\Programs\Java\jre1.8.0_20\bin\java.exe

Still: some of the ingame text is a bit messed up (can not be found?); a lot of script errors turn up in the log.txt-file; for instance this one:

(12:53:39.350 [script.err] [error] Script Error in D:/Medieval II Total War/mods/EBII/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 13679, column 2
    Building DB error - faction slave has gap in building prior to small_gymnasium)

I have to dive into this problem. Maybe some hint someone?
    Last edited by jbal; 09-11-2014 at 12:08. Reason: got the game running

Default less script errors, but game crashes when attacking town

- After adding C:\Programs\Java\jre1.8.0_20\bin as a PATH parameter (I am using vista, this can be done via configuration), some script errors where solved.

However a lot of them still exist.

I can play on the map but:

My game crashes when an army attacks an enemy town.
    Last edited by jbal; 09-12-2014 at 09:58. Reason: crash report

Default Re: less script errors, but game crashes when attacking town

Just FYI, I wanted to chime in and say that I couldn't fix my own shared.txt splash screen CTD (not with the launch fix, and not even by fixing the java path in build_strings.ini). I've just tried all of the same things with 2.01 (already?! You guys work awfully fast!), but to no avail either. The only change is that the error is now an "unspecified error" rather than the shared.txt error.

If you need it, I'm on windows 7, M2TW isn't in program files, and java is up to date. I acquired M2TW Gold online somehow (I don't recall if it was through steam, or via online retailer--I think the latter; when my disc broke, I broke down and did it). I'd post an error report except that none seem to be getting generated.

EDIT: I was plootering around just now and got it to work by launching it using the "launch" WBF instead of the regular launcher. Shrug. The only downside is it's windowed, and Iunno how to un-window it since it's not using the usual shortcut (and I'm useless).

ANOTHER EDIT: Correction! The windowed mode means I can't hit the 'start campaign' button. I'll keep plootering around for a fix.

FINAL EDIT: Fixed that problem thanks to the info here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...in-Full-Screen
    Last edited by Goaswerfraiejen; 09-14-2014 at 18:06.

Member thankful for this post:

Ludens