View Poll Results: Who are you holding your nose and voting for?

Voters
24. This poll is closed
  • Trump

4 16.67%
  • Hillary

10 41.67%
  • Johnson

8 33.33%
  • Stein

2 8.33%
Page 28 of 53 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: POTUS Election thread

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Default Re: POTUS thread

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    I like how the Dems have a solid shot of winning the Senate, yet everyone agrees that there is still no way in hell they will win the House.

Gerrymandering will keep the GOP alive for another 10 years.
    Gerrymandering is one of our oldest political traditions, and practiced by all of the major parties from the Federalists forward.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HopAlongBunny View Post
    It seems Trump is closing the gap somewhat:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/gren...gests-politics

This early you can find surveys that change almost daily...depending on the source
    Inevitable. Clinton has no likability factor and comes with baggage. Neither of them can double digit win over the other.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Blog Entries

At this point I want trump to win just to see The Young Turks have a meltdown.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Member thankful for this post:

Xiahou 

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    At this point I want trump to win just to see The Young Turks have a meltdown.
    They already had a meltdown when Bernie lost. It was hilarious.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Blog Entries

So, nothing to day about the clinton cringefest speech a week ago?
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

So, nothing to day about the clinton cringefest speech a week ago?
    "...sound and fury, signifying nothing."

I wonder how Trump's trip to Mexico today will impact the race. Apparently both Clinton and Trump were invited by President Peña Nieto to go to Mexico, but only Trump went. Peña Nieto is not well liked over there so Im guessing that he wanted some good press for him when he railed on Trump or something but this was a big win for Trump I think as it made him look more presidential.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

As we get closer to the election, things get tighter:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...-save-clinton/

The "pumpkin with a hair-do" could be the President
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Yup, Trump has done a good job as of late not being in the headlines so much with gaffes. I have no idea how the debates will go, if Trump can look presidential and not resort to insults then Clinton will have a much harder time than the polls predicted.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Trump's gonna have an easier job in the debates.The expectations are so low, he just needs to look firm and sound presidential and he's gonna go do well. Clinton needs to take risks. If she continues to play it safe, to use political double speak (which amounts to her speaking a long time without actually saying anything), it's gonna be bad for her.

Fortunately, Trump will probably sound and act idiotic.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    ..., he just needs to look firm and sound presidential and he's gonna go do well....
    And therein lies the rub.
    Sounding like an authority is easy if you are not contradicted by facts, and that is Trump's trump as it were.
    If moderators let him bloviate like Foghorn Leghorn without a reality check, he could well win the debates. If he yodels out "facts" that are challenged by ppl more in touch with reality, his temper and his arguments will expose him for the carnival barker he is.

Last edited by HopAlongBunny; 09-04-2016 at 22:38.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

I think Clinton knows this and will try to bait him into attacking without thought and thus making a gaffe. A single major gaffe for Trump means a massive blow as theres no crowd to feed off of and you know it will be blasted on the news cycles for a while.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Still early, but this political season is clearly messed up. Latest CNN/ORC poll.

Blog Entries

US election: Clinton calls half of Trump supporters 'deplorables'

US Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton has called half of Donald Trump's supporters a "basket of deplorables".

Speaking at a fundraiser, she said they were "racist, sexist, xenophobic, Islamophobic - you name it".

She then went on to say the rest of the Republican nominee's supporters were "just desperate for change".

Mr Trump's campaign manager said Mrs Clinton had insulted "millions of Americans", with her comments.

Polls released earlier this week suggest Mr Trump is gaining on Mrs Clinton, and the rivals are neck-and-neck in the key battleground states of Ohio and Florida.
    Remind me, what happened when Romney was caught saying much milder stuff about the left?
    Last edited by Greyblades; 09-10-2016 at 14:16.

US election: Clinton calls half of Trump supporters 'deplorables'
    Remind me, what happened when Romney was caught saying much milder stuff about the left?
    The sooner is the election day, the harhser the claims become and the more condoning the public grows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Has similarities to the rise of Andrew Jackson.
    The self-proclaimed "outsider" with supporters described as "white trash"; sharing a loose connection with the truth and the law.
    All that remains is to see who walks the Trail of Tears" should he become elected
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Wont be like Romney's 47% comment, not at all. The 47% comment helped sink his campaign because it played into the idea that he was a rich guy who was out of touch with the American public. Had Clinton said that half the country is racist and bigoted and whatnot then comparisons could be made but I dont see this having any real impact. She already made a speech that Trump was playing into the hands of the far right, this is just a follow up.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

The problem with the statement is that it leaves it at deprecation. If such a large proportion of the politically-active population is really full of undesirables and garbage humans, then that demands an active and decisive policy response to the degeneracy of the American subject. Trump has a similar issue in this vein; better to just leave well enough alone than to introduce it as a social problem that you refuse to grapple with.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

It confirms in the minds of some Trump supporters that the US political left does not merely see them as being in the wrong politically, but as people to be looked down upon and scorned. Anything that reminds them of this dismissive attitude (be it real or imagined) solidifies their support of "The Donald" because he seems to share the same "political incorrectness" they see in themselves.

This is why attacks upon Trump that go beyond hammering him on policy experience and the like have little traction. Many of the GOP would-be's tried to have at Trump over his supporter's attitudes etc. and it always backfired. So too for Hillary.

It is an interesting campaign in a way. Both nominees seem to fair best when they shut up and say nothing. What a comment.

Well, its time for Hooahguy to come tell us that Clinton fainting was not a big deal and that she suffered "overheating" at a stifling 75 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Gerrymandering is one of our oldest political traditions, and practiced by all of the major parties from the Federalists forward.
    So was patronage, until it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    It confirms in the minds of some Trump supporters that the US political left does not merely see them as being in the wrong politically, but as people to be looked down upon and scorned. Anything that reminds them of this dismissive attitude (be it real or imagined) solidifies their support of "The Donald" because he seems to share the same "political incorrectness" they see in themselves.

This is why attacks upon Trump that go beyond hammering him on policy experience and the like have little traction. Many of the GOP would-be's tried to have at Trump over his supporter's attitudes etc. and it always backfired. So too for Hillary.

It is an interesting campaign in a way. Both nominees seem to fair best when they shut up and say nothing. What a comment.
    Oh, they have confirmed that in their minds a long time ago. This is just public confirmation. And there are a ton of racists and other bigots among the ranks of Trump supporters. While personally I would not have used "half" I would have said "a good portion" if I was to use this strategy. Though to be honest I do not think it was a good move for her because it briefly gave the moral high ground to the Trump campaign. Its rich though how Trump's side will fire back how wrong it is to denigrate a portion of the populace when they have done that to Hispanics, gay people, Muslims, black people, women, the list goes on.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 09-11-2016 at 20:10.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Well, its time for Hooahguy to come tell us that Clinton fainting was not a big deal and that she suffered "overheating" at a stifling 75 degrees.
    I have seen young and physically fit soldiers faint while in formation. Not a huge deal. But of course you will grasp for anything to claim that shes physically unfit to be president. Plus it was hotter than that but I oh well. Not to mention wearing a heavy suit, kevlar ain't light.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 09-11-2016 at 20:09.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    I have seen young and physically fit soldiers faint while in formation. Not a huge deal. But of course you will grasp for anything to claim that shes physically unfit to be president. Plus it was hotter than that but I oh well. Not to mention wearing a heavy suit, kevlar ain't light.
    lol was Clinton doing some PT before the ceremony?
    I never said she was physically unfit even once in this thread. I just like prodding you to see what the latest talking points from the campaign are.

Fainting in formation has nothing to do with the level of physical exertion. You aren't supposed to lock your knees while standing for very long because blood will pool in your legs and not get pumped back into your heart and brain, causing blood pressure to drop and then you get dizzy and faint. This process seems to speed up when standing in the heat, from experience.

And it was implied, admit it. And I wish this was the first time someone accused me of being a campaign spokesman right because I dare think shes not the epitome of evil. Oh how I wish to get some of that campaign cash, money is tight nowadays.

EDIT: for the record I dont think Trump is evil either.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 09-11-2016 at 20:33.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Fainting in formation has nothing to do with the level of physical exertion. You aren't supposed to lock your knees while standing for very long because blood will pool in your legs and not get pumped back into your heart and brain, causing blood pressure to drop and then you get dizzy and faint. This process seems to speed up when standing in the heat, from experience.

And it was implied, admit it. And I wish this was the first time someone accused me of being a campaign spokesman right because I dare think shes not the epitome of evil. Oh how I wish to get some of that campaign cash, money is tight nowadays.
    You receive those accusations because you have never strayed far from the campaign message. The biggest deviations you show are slight tweaks of verbiage.

Either you and Clinton have somehow managed to be the first human pair to have 99.9% political likeness, or there is something afoot.

Btw, I am going to vote for Clinton. Trump really is evil.

Eh, hardly 99.9% political likeness I would say. I really dislike how she went anti-free trade. And her position on guns. And minimum wage. And free college. And unions. Nothing to say of her handling of the email thing. I just think that the topics discussed in this thread happen to really only tread on the topics I do agree with her on.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

So it seems like Hillary has pneumonia. Looks like I stand corrected on this incident then. I certainly hope she recovers, but it is something that her supporters should be worried about. Last summer my elderly grandfather just barely survived his bout with pneumonia and I know it left him in a weakened state so we will see what impact this has on her.

EDIT: I am aware that people can have walking pneumonia.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 09-11-2016 at 23:40.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by ACIN
    So was patronage, until it wasn't.
    Bittersweet thing, for someone who detests direct election to the Senate.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy
    So it seems like Hillary has pneumonia.
    Could be the biggest twist of the election, really.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Page 28 of 53 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast