Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mansion II [on hiatus]

Default Re: The Mansion II

Gyiaghhhh!

I suggest that we don't actually apply the alcohol / lighter fluid to the torches unless we think we are shortly going to be in action. We have a limited supply and it evaporates
    The alcohol just needs to be absorbed by the fabric, and in a small quantity, for just two torches. The alcohol is not the primary accelerant here: that's the lighter fluid. However - and I don't know enough practical or organic chemistry to speak confidently - the lighter fluid would make for a less-safe fire, so I hope using some alcohol in place of more lighter fluid would make the fire more suitable for our work.

Slight complication to torch construction:

Still using 1 lb of material and all the rest of the directions, but in three layers of cloth for the head. The first and thickest layer is the water-soaked; the second and thinnest layer is the alcohol-soaked; the final layer, of mid-thickness, is soaked in lighter fluid.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

OOC: Phases last four hours so we should have the time to do that.

IC: Why not just build a fire and use it to light things when needed? Maybe the heat and light keeps these things away.
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.
    I see I've been sigged yet again -Askthepizzaguy, 02/08/2012
    Hindsight is 20/20 Askthepizzaguy, 10/07/2013

Why not just build a fire and use it to light things when needed? Maybe the heat and light keeps these things away.
    I don't see a fireplace. What do we contain the fire with? Wood?
    Vitiate Man.

Host Member Maeda Path Champion, Arkanoid Champion, 3D SuperBall Champion, Simon Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Breakout Champion Zain's Avatar

Discussion Phase has ended, please send in your Order PMs!

You have 24 hours.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

There was a fireplace in the library iirc.

EDIT:
    It was the sitting room:
    Inside revealed a fairly decent sized room consisting of primarily similar padded leather chairs and small tables. At the end of the room, a small fireplace.

"A sitting room!" Faith said

Building a (small) fire, then keeping the embers warm by stacking ashes over them would give us a reusable source of fire and heat. We could easily use a few books to get the fire going, then add something more substantial (perhaps parts of the chairs we've removed the legs from) to get some embers.

We could try leaving one of the blank books near(ish!) to the fire as well, to see if the heat reveals the invisible ink?
    Last edited by Myrddraal; 01-17-2016 at 11:40.

Ok, add the job to the Support Team. However, my team still needs matches to light the torches from beyond Home Base.
    Vitiate Man.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Going to take gun with deep ops, because when we are surrounded, we will need to blast some freaks.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

No one's told me to do anything quite concrete so I'm going to build a fire in the sitting room unless anyone else comes up with something better for us to do.
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.

No, don't!

If we take the gun, then we might as well be funneling everyone down the dumbwaiter (which would take too long, and carries the risk of collapsing the dumbwaiter with someone inside), because it defeats the purpose of having a support/distraction group.

The point of Deep Ops is that we're not an assault group. If we run into anything we can't handle with bits of wood and whatever we can find on the spot, then we need to fall back for evac.
    Vitiate Man.

Bart, you're part of the Support Team. Just put that into your orders.

All support tasks will be evenly divided, from making the equipment to setting a fire to fighting (if necessary).

If you want just one task, put yourself down as Support Team - Dumbwaiter Operator.
    Vitiate Man.

Alright, Mr. Montmorency. I'll just get started on a fire and, if time allows, find more flammable materials.

Also, I'm thinking that this house must have stores of real fuel (as opposed to lighter fuel and burnable books-draperies-furniture) somewhere in the basements. Coal, Gas canisters, kerosene, something that can allow us to make explosives or firebombs and drive away whatever hurt issaikhaan. Is anyone keeping tabs on him, btw?

Good point, I'll add that to my orders, just in case!

Yeah, guard him while I forage on this floor for fuel and build a fire, meanwhile, whoever goes below, try to find food, weapons, and more fuel.

(incidentally, the fire isn't just about burning the place down which is a last resort… it's for cooking food, sterilising needles/knives if we have any, cleaning wounds; also I have an idea about those glass windows in the sunroom)

Host Member Maeda Path Champion, Arkanoid Champion, 3D SuperBall Champion, Simon Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Breakout Champion Zain's Avatar

24 hours later and shockingly we are still missing orders from 5 players! Luckily I am off to have dinner with the in-laws then will likely do the write-up in the morning. Therefore...
    @autolycus @Greyblades @johnhughthom @Raith Kemmler @seireikhaan

Orders please You have ~14 hours until I begin writing.

Can we puppet them?

Quote Originally Posted by El Barto View Post
    Can we puppet them?
    Yes. Please include them in orders, preferably from a leader.

Puppets are more likely to die, naturally.

OK, I'll push Greyblades in front of me like a human shield.

*muses* Maybe we can grab the inactives and use them as bait, or just make them sleep.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El Barto View Post
    Can we puppet them?
    Not like that wasn't happening anyways.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Quote Originally Posted by issaikhaan View Post
    Well, we're all puppets in the hand of our wicked, in-law-loving GM.

I've added putting a couple of blank books near sources of heat to see if that reveals the text. One in the sun room and one near the fire (but not too close!).

I'm also checking khan's wounds & talking to him. See? You're still our friend (until you turn into a slathering zombie that is...)
    Last edited by Myrddraal; 01-18-2016 at 08:48.

Senior Member Senior Member Jarema's Avatar

I suggest you prod him with a stick from time to time and observe if he is not reacting too aggressivily

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seireikhaan View Post
    Hopefully not a hand-puppet.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Blog Entries

Feel free to puppet me this turn, things have come up that are distracting me in the short term.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Phase 4

"We need food, now." Jake Kelly (Montmorency) announced to the crowd. After determining that they were on the 2nd floor and no food was in sight, the team knew this was their last chance before real debilitating hunger set in.

"I'm in." Charlie Wallace (Golden1Knight) announced immediately, "I've got combat experience and I'm pretty strong, so I'll go into the dumbwaiter first."

"I'll come too." Leo Webb (Beskar) announced, holding onto his revolver. "If anybody is going to need this, it'll be us. I'll drop second."

Kyle Bevan (Ironside) spoke last, "I'll go too, and I think we should keep this team fairly small so we can be quiet."

Jake spoke up again, "We will go down, hope it leads to food. If it doesn't but it's not hostile, we'll search for food. If things get dire, or we need a distraction, Jack (Jarema) and Callum (Choxorn) will come downstairs to make some noise while the rest of you wait at the top of the stairs. Draw the hostile's attention away from us, and use the bottleneck to your advantage. Also let's let Faith (GeneralHankerchief) and Leon (seireikhaan) sleep. Faith needs to be rested in case there's an emergency and Leon needs to rest and heal."

The teams assembled, creating torches and a bindle for carrying food, and equipping themselves with chair legs as clubs.

Corey Parsons (Raith Kemmler) was designated dumbwaiter operator, while the remaining members started a fire in the Sitting Room and awaited at the top of the stairs in case Operation Hail Mary was necessary, in which everybody would rush downstairs to assist Team Deep Operations.

"Okay, remember, we're lowering you just a bit so you can see. Tap the roof of the dumbwaiter once you think it's safe to drop, and tug the chord once to signal the rest of the team to come down. If there's a problem, tug twice instead so we know there's hostiles, or tug three times for extraction." Jake told Charlie. He nodded, and with his unlit torch in hand, Corey lowered him down.

Charlie's eyes adjusted slowly to the darkness, watching for hostile figures or movement. The dumbwaiter was surprisingly quiet, and the smell of lighter fluid from the torch was strong. After a few moments, Charlie's eyes adjusted and saw nothing. He tapped the roof of the dumbwaiter and was lowered to the bottom. He crept out onto his feet, and stood there silently just a moment. Still no movement, all seemed well. He checked his surroundings, to his right an open door, to his left two closed doors. He viewed his surroundings, cabinets, utilities. He was in the kitchen! The open door to his right led to a large room so he closed it as silently as he could, minding the creek of the hinges. Lighting his torch he looked around more and determined that one of the doors to his left would be a pantry. He tugged on the chord once to signal the rest of the team to come down.

Leo came down next carrying the bindle for carrying the weight of the food. Charlie whispered, "Let's wait until the other two are down, then try the doors."

Next came Jake, then Kyle. The four were there, and Charlie led them to the first door. Leo held his gun, and Jake carried the other torch. Kyle pressed his ear to the door, heard nothing, and opened it. The light shined in to expose a series of boxes, primarily of kitchen equipment from first glance, but no food. Then they opened the second door using the same caution, and discovered it to be a pantry. Not hardly a quarter full, food was still present, and the team lit up. They started swiping food, leaving Kyle back by the dumbwaiter for signaling Corey.

They had just about filled their bindle when a crash was heard outside the door which was originally on the right. The one leading to what appeared to be a dining room. The team stopped, staring.

Another crash, then the door blew open. A rather large creature, appearing human-like, with clear skin and orange glowing veins roughly 7 feet tall rushed in.

"Dumbwaiter is too slow!" Jake yelled. The team of four attempting to hold onto their food, began their evasive maneuvers. Leo drew his revolver, and pulled the trigger aiming for the head. Nothing... He tried again. Nothing.

"Dead ammo?!" Jake tugged on the chord three times signalling the Hail Mary and they ran around the kitchen island, putting space between them and the hostile...

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Team Support/Overwatch

Corey saw the chord tug three times, turned back at the rest of the team by the bookshelf barricade, he yelled, "Hail Mary!" The team drew back, armed up, and rushed down the stairs with the clubs and torches in hand. They rushed down, thinking about the way the house was organized, they turned right at the bottom of the stairs, and saw a hallway and no doors leading where they wanted to go. They ran down the hallway, torches on the front and backside.

Entering the hallway they saw the light coming through the open door of the kitchen through the dining room and rushed straight in. There they saw it, the giant hostile creature, crashing around the kitchen in pursuit of the Deep Ops team. They all seemed fine at first glance, and as a big team they began clubbing at hostile.

With a group so large, the giant was overwhelmed and brought to it's knees, where a powerful swing of Charlie's club finally ended it's frenzy.

They all stopped, breathing heavily, and posted a watch at the door. "Hey, where's Elizabeth (johnhughthom)?"

"She came with us, I saw her."

They quickly resolved that grabbing food and returning up the stairs to the Study was their best option, so everyone grabbed what they could and their quickly made it's way back to the hallway. They stopped, at the end of the hallway was another giant hostile, at it's feet, the dead body of Elizabeth Banks.

Leo attempted the revolver again, but nothing happened. Several of the men stepped forward and clubbed the hostile down similarly to the way the first had gone down, but this time it was Callum with the kill blow.

"They're not invincible, we just have to work together!" Jake said quickly as they moved through the hallway into the Great Room, keeping an eye behind them as well as to their sides.

The light from their torches revealed the dozen or so bodies in the floor they had seen when Leon was bit. "Corpses..."

They traversed the Great Room in a large group, when a large figure burst from a door to their right from the front of the room, screeching as it charged. They determined they had time and made their way up the stairs to barricade the hostile out and possibly batter it from above. They made their way up when Hayden Hicks (autolycus) tripped, the giant grabbed his ankle, and threw him across the room, killing him instantly. In the distraction, the rest of the group barricaded themselves in as the giant crashed up the stairs. Leo aimed once again, praying it would work, and the sound was deafening. The bullet discharged, and the giant dropped and fell back down the stairwell.

They quickly barricaded the top, listened a bit for more movement, heard faint roars from all over the mansion, and went into the Study to bar themselves in.

They panted heavily, catching their breath. Some wept for their fallen comrades, others inspected their haul.

Jake spoke up once again after they had calmed down, "We have some food now, it's going to be okay. Obviously Leo saved our lives with that gunshot but it's woken up the other hostiles. It's time we ended this, and got out of here."

Lola spoke up, "I saw the front door, it's right in front of the stairs across the Great Room. It didn't appear locked, but I didn't get a good look at it. We should try to leave."

They checked the blank book they had left in the sunroom hoping the heat would reveal with invisible ink, but it didn't work since the sun had already set.

"40 units of food, that's better than nothing." Callum said. The others nodded.

Graciously they ate, hearing the Mansion come to life beneath them...

---------------------------------------------

40 units of food added (You all must determine how it's divided)
    johnhughthom & autolycus have been killed.
    Map on it's way.

Discussion Phase 5 has begun! And will end on Wednesday, January 20th at 23:59GMT

Stats will be updated in Stats & Storyline thread.

The game has officially begun, the training wheels are off, and two of your members have perished. Who will be next?

Good luck everybody

So... let's get this straight... the corpses in the hallway are just corpses? It does appear that way... They haven't moved since we last saw them, they didn't move whilst some of our team ran past them after coming down the stairs, and we retreated up the stairs without them hindering us.

It does make you wonder what bit khaan...

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddraal View Post
    So... let's get this straight... the corpses in the hallway are just corpses? It does appear that way... They haven't moved since we last saw them, they didn't move whilst some of our team ran past them after coming down the stairs, and we retreated up the stairs without them hindering us.

The bodies are in the Great Room.

Good questions...

Blog Entries

Well, I think the gun is broke.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Well, I think the gun is broke.
    Clarification, the gun did kill the last hostile.

That being said, it did fail previously...

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddraal View Post

So can I do stuff yet or am I under lock and key for the rest of the game?
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast