Thread: Reducing this town's cost(??)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Reducing this town's cost(??)

Why is this city running at such a loss? Is it simply the amount of troops it has produced?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	romeloss.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	241.7 KB 
ID:	17480

the angry, angry elephantid Member wooly_mammoth's Avatar

Default Re: Reducing this town's cost(??)

Military upkeep costs & generals' wages are divided among your cities following their size, as you can see in the left panel on the income section. More populous cities will take more of the cost, so Ariminum must be one of your larger cities if it takes so much expenditure. You should use the financial information (click the big red button with your family crest, right next to end turn) to plan out your economical development and investments in the military so that you don't end up with an army that is too expensive to maintain. Also, don't adopt or marry just about any miscreant into the family. Take only people that have potential at being good and are worth the money you will be putting in them.

Many thanks.

Is it possible to assign units to different cities so they take the cost of the unit instead? It is also possible to fire family members, generals etc?

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

That page does not represent a city's true economic value (the Settlement Detail Scroll). As Wooly stated, army upkeep (plus family and agent wages) are divided amongst your cities with the larger cities bearing a heavier burden. If you access the Trade Summary Scroll (where all the individual trade details are kept) you'll see the true picture of a city's worth. A city that appears to be operating at a loss (like in your screenie) is actually making money. Army/Navy upkeep are not the only factors affecting income. Squalor, Public Order, and Devastation caused by enemy armies in your province all affect income. Pay particular attention to the first two...they can potentially cripple your economy

As a general rule, your total army/navy costs + family member wages + agent costs should not exceed 1/2 of your total income. You can deviate from this depending on the situation, but if you stay close to that number you should have enough money to build infrastructure, and raise new armies/navies.

Is it possible to assign units to different cities so they take the cost of the unit instead
    Not sure what you mean by this The garrison actually stationed is the one charged for...you cannot "substitute".

Here are two discussions (a bit technical, but full of great info on garrison effects, and city economics as related to squalor):

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...rrison-Effects

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...?37586-Squalor

It is also possible to fire family members, generals
    No. There are two alternatives to being rid of unwanted family members....load them on a bireme and send them out to attack the biggest fleet you can find, or send them to attack a city without any other troops and auto-resolve the battle

On one occasion, I did the second...sent a single family member (as the Seleucids, IIRC) to attack a rebel-held town. Expecting the "Honorable Death" cut-scene, to my complete amazement he comes up with a "Heroic Victory" and earns two silver chevrons in the process Needless to say, I didn't have the heart to send him on another suicide mission and he turned out to be a decent governor with all the good traits he picked up from the battle
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 02-03-2016 at 16:43.
    High Plains Drifter

Member thankful for this post:

8-bit 

the angry, angry elephantid Member wooly_mammoth's Avatar

^That story reminds me of my Sarmatian campaign (felt a bit like a necromancer resurrecting all those guides and never made any comments for my journey through BI ). I was besieging the Sassanid capital of Ctesiphon with a doomstack containing two generals, 10 units of horde horse archers and 8 runaway slave spearmen. Not a potent force, but the city was held by a single Sassanid general. Since it was a horde army and was about to be completely disbanded anyway once the city was taken, I decided to autoresolve this particular battle (usually I play absolutely everything by myself, even the smallest of skirmishes). So I click autoresolve and...

SURPRISE CRUSHING DEFEAT!

Autoresolve can be very strange at times.

Thanks.

Here is a shot of the trade screen from the same city.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RTW.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	232.8 KB 
ID:	17483

Quote Originally Posted by wooly_mammoth View Post
    ^That story reminds me of my Sarmatian campaign (felt a bit like a necromancer resurrecting all those guides and never made any comments for my journey through BI ). I was besieging the Sassanid capital of Ctesiphon with a doomstack containing two generals, 10 units of horde horse archers and 8 runaway slave spearmen. Not a potent force, but the city was held by a single Sassanid general. Since it was a horde army and was about to be completely disbanded anyway once the city was taken, I decided to autoresolve this particular battle (usually I play absolutely everything by myself, even the smallest of skirmishes). So I click autoresolve and...

SURPRISE CRUSHING DEFEAT!

Autoresolve can be very strange at times.
    :) I hear you mate.

To be fair, Sassanid Immortal General is the most strongest imbalancest unit in the game, ever. (3 hitpoints and an armor thicker than Cataptacht, and bows and arrows. Plus, RTW:BI have the strongest General's Bodyguard units in whole TW series.) And horde units cracks so quickly.

So I like to ask you did you won the same battle by playing yourself? I remember I lost several battles with my horde stack against only 3 or 4 Warlord units defending a narrow street in a city.

Member thankful for this post:

8-bit