Thread: PMTW 2.0 - new map thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Crusading historian Member cegorach's Avatar

Default PMTW 2.0 - new map thread

It wil take me a while to check what wa supposed to be in the game, but I have decided we could have a separate thread dealing with the subject.

As you are aware we only have as many provinces to use as there are in PMTW 1.5, so all new provinces have to use colours and data of areas which are already in the game.

I've planned to remove a couple in Africa and Middle East and I do have a working alpha version of PMTW 2.0 so it shouldn't take much time to describe what I wanted.

If you have any proposals they can be discussed in this thread, but let's keep it on topic - other ideas can be discussed in separate threads.

Default Re: PMTW 2.0 - new map thread

Germany is certainly the part of the map I most interested in. As Münster, Palatinate and Pomerania will be added to the Lion of the North campaign, which provinces will you put those new faction in? And I also think it is strange to put Hessen in Swabia and put Saxony in Franconia, can we expect new province in Germany area?
    Last edited by zweihander; 02-15-2016 at 16:00.

Quote Originally Posted by zweihander View Post
    Germany is certainly the part of the map I most interested in. As Münster, Palatinate and Pomerania will be added to the Lion of the North campaign, which provinces will you put those new faction in? And I also think it is strange to put Hessen in Swabia and put Saxony in Franconia, can we expect new province in Germany area?
    As you can see MTW Franconia has been divided - so there is one, new province in Germany.

Frankly the exact shape of german areas never concerned me that much - the territory is quite crowded compared to the rest of the map and there are many other factions which screamed for something new.

There isn't much what could be done with the number of provices, but their shape and neighbouring areas can be redefined.

If you wish you can post proposal for a new map in Germany, but bear in mind there can be only one new province added in the territory - Courland, Royal Prussia, Royal Hungary, new Dutch province, Dalmatia etc have priority.

Whatever we can use will have to be useful in ALL eras.

Actually I think spliting Franconia is a good idea. curious about how would you name these two provinces splited from Franconia.
    Last edited by zweihander; 02-15-2016 at 16:46. Reason: spelling

One is Sachsen (Dresden), another still named Franconia.

Yeah, I suppose Germany need much work.

Think of the same number of provinces + 1 and we can change some stuff as you see fit.

Germany is relatively easy because it still will be using the same province names, same homelands for units etc.

Completely new provinces are more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
    One is Sachsen (Dresden), another still named Franconia.
    Good. But how do you deal the the Saxony province on the original MTW map, as Sachsen is the German form of Saxony.

Ok, let's start with something easy: sea/ocean areas.

So far only two changes which are however very important:

Northern Baltic and Dutch Coast.

Would spliting the Baltic Sea also protect and give more advantage to the Livonian Order?
    And as the screenshot show, are you also splited the Livonia province?

First links Finland and Estonia with Sweden (no landconnection).

Second protects the Dutch from sudden invasions and allows them
    to build sizable fleet without blocking anybody.

Since every such change costs us Adriatic was merged with the Ionian Sea

and the Sea of Marmara was merged with the Aegean Sea.

If you have other ideas we can use them, but I doubt we need too many - maybe spliting the Black Sea to help Georgia, Circassia and the Tartars if they ever build a fleet? Honestly I am happy with the two changes.

Another thing to think about is to use some of sea zones to expand the Atlantic or something, but as long as the Azores are defended by deep sea area which is not easy to access I am happy.

First links Finland and Estonia with Sweden (no landconnection).

Second protects the Dutch from sudden invasions and allows them
    to build sizable fleet without blocking anybody.

Since every such change costs us Adriatic was merged with the Ionian Sea

and the Sea of Marmara was merged with the Aegean Sea.

If you have other ideas we can use them, but I doubt we need too many - maybe spliting the Black Sea to help Georgia, Circassia and the Tartars if they ever build a fleet? Honestly I am happy with the two changes.
    How about splitting adriatic so Venice has some home waters? Two reasons - it shouldn't be too easy to take venice by sea, and I hate when Venice just casually conquers Naples - so ahistorical. You could even split the Adriatic longitudinally so Venice is funnelled towards Dalmatia and Greece rather than southern Italy.