Thread: Converting Civilization3 unit animations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Converting Civilization3 unit animations

I know there is already an unit anim thread but I think this is important so I start a new thread.

Before BG can find some time to draw his landskenchts for PMTW, I decide to try to convert my favourite landsknecht unit by Kinboat(from the CFC forum) from Civ3 to MTW, thanks to my experience of converting Civ3 unit to EU2-ftg, it is not too difficult to me.

Let me show a quick test, just one standing frame of the landsknecht:

Two screenshot in game, the first one shows the unit anim at its original size, while in the second one I increase the size to 220 using the gnome editor:

As you notice, it has no faction colour now, but I think it is possible to add later by replacing the colour plate.
    And the height of the landsknecht is just about 4/5 to 3/4 of the PMtW unit anim left to him, though I increase its size too 220. Nothing more I can do to this…

Generally speaking I'm statisfied with its performance in game. What do you think of it? Making a full animation cost many time, if you think it is worth to do so I would like to finish at least the landsknecht graphic.

One question: the Civ3 anim use 15 frame per action while MTW use 12, how should I deal with this? (though it would not be a problem for standing action)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dop2.jpg 
Views:	1006 
Size:	834.2 KB 
ID:	17579   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dop1.jpg 
Views:	1174 
Size:	841.4 KB 
ID:	17581  
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by zweihander; 02-26-2016 at 03:18.

Default Re: Converting Civilization3 unit animations

Quote Originally Posted by zweihander View Post
    And the height of the landsknecht is just about 4/5 to 3/4 of the PMtW unit anim left to him, though I increase its size too 220. Nothing more I can do to this…
    You can increase the soldier size (texture) 2 times and then scale them down to appropriate size via SCALE factor in UNIT_PROD. Of course, it can be a problem to fit all soldier poses in one texture.

Generally speaking I'm statisfied with its performance in game. What do you think of it? Making a full animation cost many time, if you think it is worth to do so I would like to finish at least the landsknecht graphic.
    Could you upload any unit animations form Civ3? I'd like to see the format they use.

One question: the Civ3 anim use 15 frame per action while MTW use 12, how should I deal with this? (though it would not be a problem for standing action)
    I'd drop 4, 8 and 12th frame. It will cause a little jumps in animation but probably unnoticeable.
    Last edited by Stazi; 02-20-2016 at 19:08.
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

I'm not at my computer now so can't upload anything. However, you can find civ3 units here:http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60

They're in flc format, and there is a tool to convert them into pcx.
    Please read these two thread, they explain a lot about them:
    https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...st-hour.679417
    https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...n-units.741529

Crusading historian Member cegorach's Avatar

Brilliant. I planned to do it myself and got permissions for that from CIv3 forum.

Sadly my graphics skills are almost non existent and I've barely managed to deal with icons and info_info pics.

Those animations would be perfect.

-DELETE-

Edit:OK, I fix it, It is becasue the way I calculate x0, y0
    Last edited by zweihander; 02-21-2016 at 12:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    Just checked it and animation without 4, 8 and 12th frame still looks good enough for me.

15 frames
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LandsKnechtAttackA_15.gif 
Views:	334 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	17585

12 frames

Name:	LandsKnechtAttackA_12.gif 
Views:	219 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	17584
    Thansks, I did that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    You can increase the soldier size (texture) 2 times and then scale them down to appropriate size via SCALE factor in UNIT_PROD. Of course, it can be a problem to fit all soldier poses in one texture.
    I check them in battle and found that the size is acceptable if I increase the scale to 225. Don't need this method, but thank you anyway!

---------------------------------------------

Ok, the full landsknecht animation is done. Anyone want to test it ingame can download it from the attachment of this post.
    But still no faction colour yet, haven't find a way to add it.

The Screenshots show that Bavarian Doppelsoldners fighting the Saxon Pikemen:

Quality not good enough, as I expected.

And sadly, civ3 anims don't differentiate Walk, Run and Charge action, so they use the same in game.

---------------

Edit:

Re-upload the Doppelsoldner.RAR file.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00000026.jpg 
Views:	899 
Size:	1,010.6 KB 
ID:	17587   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00000027.jpg 
Views:	887 
Size:	956.9 KB 
ID:	17588  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by zweihander; 02-21-2016 at 09:49.

Just checked it and animation without 4, 8 and 12th frame still looks good enough for me.

15 frames

Name:	LandsKnechtAttackA_15.gif 
Views:	334 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	17585

12 frames

Name:	LandsKnechtAttackA_12.gif 
Views:	219 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	17584
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.