Thread: The information war

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar

Default The information war

The information age always promised information wars, but it's remarkable and scary to see it play out.

The information war has always been with us, but it's power and scale are now acute. Information controllers are shock troops, occupying forces and King makers.

The right wing media hijack of the brexit debate. Trump and his fake news election win. The fact we don't know if
    Putin and Trump are allies or enemies.

While at the same time the Arab Israeli war goes full information overt. The occupation gathers pace, and the debate is channeled:

http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/...122330451.html

The 1982 invasion of Lebanon, however, saw a change in the favoured tides for Israel. As images of the Sabra and Shatila massacre flooded into American news media, Israel suddenly needed to defend itself. The war in Lebanon would trigger the need for an official public relations strategy, known in Hebrew as "Hasbara". The basic strategy would be to push back with footage of Palestinians fighting against the occupation, highlighting Israel's role as "underdog" and "victim".
    Last edited by Idaho; 03-17-2017 at 17:58.
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Default Re: The information war

I refer you to Corbyn's supporters and the closed circle of information. There has always been a certain filtering of informational sources, even as far back as Orwell's satires. But I've never seen anything quite so actively closed as Corbyn's deliberate focus on social media-based campaigns.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Trump and Obama wiretapping.
    Never mind about Corbyn though, media rightwing bias is overt at the moment. With all the u turns, election scandals, and so on, Theresa May is rather unscathed thanks to support from the media who are very hostile to all opposition Labour, Libdems, SNP, etc. UKIP is still featured a lot too.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Never mind about Corbyn though, media rightwing bias is overt at the moment. With all the u turns, election scandals, and so on, Theresa May is rather unscathed thanks to support from the media who are very hostile to all opposition Labour, Libdems, SNP, etc. UKIP is still featured a lot too.
    UKIP! An insignificant political party who had support from information brokers. Their one mp and his media backers blackmailed a weak tory government into a daft referendum. And the media backers pushed hard and won.
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

Something can be done about lies and their proponents, if only by reminding the liars of what they'd said. The 350m a week is an example. Nothing can be done when listeners actively filter out anything that disagrees with their worldview. See the Labour thread, where the argument was put forward that primary sources that were ex-shadow cabinet were intrinsically problematic because they were ex. Ie. that people disagreeing with Corbyn were by nature untrustworthy as sources. With a closed circle like that, and Corbyn's support is the most complete example of that that I've seen anywhere, then information becomes useless.

You are such a bore about Corbyn

You bend every topic on to the same track.

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
    You are such a bore about Corbyn

You bend every topic on to the same track.
    You're the one talking about information, and blaming people telling lies. An example being the journalist who was surprised by the result of the Brexit vote, and trying to look for Leave supporters on social media, and finding that he could not, such being the nature of the closed circle. Corbyn's support is the most complete example of the closed circle I've seen, not just because of the social media focus, but because their support uses arguments that actively closes the circle. Any study of communication looks at the basic premise of a communicator and a listener. You're blaming the communicator. But what can be done when the listener actively filters out communication?

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

unscathed from who? the electorate, or the press?
    I assume you really mean the electorate, as expressed in the constant trend of opinion polls in the last year.

this presumes that it is substantially the press that leads opinion of the public, rather than the other way around.
    it is certainly true that both influence the other, but I could never support the opinion above as it makes representative democracy a pointless sham, and the conception of individual autonomy a bitter dream.
    in this view of the world we are nothing more than a bee colony, to be herded around by political 'pheromones' in pursuit of the queens greater plan.

i say this as an admirer of The Righteous Mind, in the understanding that much of what we perceive as Logic is no more than post-facto justification of subconscious intuition. i say this also as an admirer of 5th Gen Warfare, in the understanding that societal change can be effected by sophisticated psy-ops, and that elements of this have crept in to recent political campaigns.

perhaps i can accept this dualism because at a fundamental level i trust my subconscious intuition, as I trust my ability to take an interest in a subject sufficiently that my grasp of the essential problem is an effective framework for that intuition to work upon.

and I expect every other member of the electorate to act in the same way (leaving the choice of what they choose to take an interest in entirely up to them).
    the franchise is given to adults of legally sound mind, i expect them to use that acquired wisdom and render judgement on matters of import.

so, dialling this back to the topic at hand; yes, life is difficult when lies are told and dissimulation is endemic. deal with it.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    so, dialling this back to the topic at hand; yes, life is difficult when lies are told and dissimulation is endemic. deal with it.
    Deal with it by discussing the topic? Good idea!

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    I refer you to Corbyn's supporters and the closed circle of information. There has always been a certain filtering of informational sources, even as far back as Orwell's satires. But I've never seen anything quite so actively closed as Corbyn's deliberate focus on social media-based campaigns.
    I think Corbyn is a poor example of a successful information war

The pro Corbyn echo chamber is, however, a good example of a defensive niche. But it's a dead end.