Page 12 of 121 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Thread: EXIT NEGOTIATIONS

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Default Re: EXIT NEGOTIATIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    A significant proportion of the British people disagree with your view. The custom of centre-based British governments is to govern in the direction that their party tends towards, but without alienating the majority of the remainder.
    No, I don't think they disagree with my views on the intrinsic value of the EU, they just think being in the EU is good for trade and prosperity and don't fancy risking leaving.

Me, I think the prosperity of the EU isn't worth the political hangups and the undermining of democracy.

For a lot of people who where you fall either side of that argument is a very narrow space.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Their Queen is from Germany and they refuse to dethrone her, so what's the problem here?

Besides, if they have a problem with Germany controlling the landmass, then they can prevent that much better by being part of the EU than as an outside observer. If they're outside, they would play into our hands in this regard. That we try to make them stay anyway might also be a hint at how silly that idea seems to us.
    I'd be delighted if Germany can lead that unruly mass. Britain and Germany probably can have a sensible discourse. The layers the EU add are merely self-serving bureaucrats.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus View Post
    No, I don't think they disagree with my views on the intrinsic value of the EU, they just think being in the EU is good for trade and prosperity and don't fancy risking leaving.

Me, I think the prosperity of the EU isn't worth the political hangups and the undermining of democracy.

For a lot of people who where you fall either side of that argument is a very narrow space.
    Where in practice is the EU's undermining of democracy? Where has the EU intervened to undermine British democracy?

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    UK in a Strong Anglosphere> UK in some continental system where Germany finally is able to exert its will over the landmass.

The 5 eyes countries share a much stronger cultural base for cooperation. These relationships seems so "special" only because trust can be quickly built when you come from the same place.
    The British Isles are still next door to the European landmass, far away from the rest of the 5 eyes. Unless you're suggesting we teleport goods and produce around the Commonwealth.

Blog Entries

The British Isles are still next door to the European landmass, far away from the rest of the 5 eyes. Unless you're suggesting we teleport goods and produce around the Commonwealth.
    We could copy the Chinese and use devices that float on water!

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries

Where in practice is the EU's undermining of democracy? Where has the EU intervened to undermine British democracy?
    Just a couple:

EU Directives and Regulations superseding UK laws.
    EU courts superseding UK courts.

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    We could copy the Chinese and use devices that float on water!

Not everything that floats on the water can be called a device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Just a couple:

But doesn't UK law then undermine your local law in Taplow? After all you vote for a mayor and/or city parliament and then these UK people come and dictate your foreign policy and your income taxes because their laws supersede the laws your democratically elected Taplow government came up with.

Perhaps you personally like and dislike it in different cases, but there seems to be no actual principle, just a matter of taste.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Blog Entries

But doesn't UK law then undermine your local law in Taplow? After all you vote for a mayor and/or city parliament and then these UK people come and dictate your foreign policy and your income taxes because their laws supersede the laws your democratically elected Taplow government came up with.

Perhaps you personally like and dislike it in different cases, but there seems to be no actual principle, just a matter of taste.
    Taplow was never, to the best of my knowledge, a Sovereign state. The unit of state was England - with some disjointed bits tacked on.

The principle is pretty obvious.

Just a couple:

We're signed up to other international treaties too. If it's the principle that rankles, should we leave the UN too? Most of the human rights malarkies are traceable to the UN's workings after all, rather than specifically the EU. Most of the EU regulations relate to H&S and similar stuff, and we've had Gove vow to at least retain the EU standards at a minimum, and Grenfell wasn't the greatest advert for building a bonfire of regulations.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

We're signed up to other international treaties too. If it's the principle that rankles, should we leave the UN too? Most of the human rights malarkies are traceable to the UN's workings after all, rather than specifically the EU. Most of the EU regulations relate to H&S and similar stuff, and we've had Gove vow to at least retain the EU standards at a minimum, and Grenfell wasn't the greatest advert for building a bonfire of regulations.
    The UN is a largely ineffective kerfuffle on which we have a veto.

The EU is increasingly looking like a reenactment society for the Holy Roman Empire circa 1500 with all the contradictions and inefficiencies there-in.

Now, show me an Emperor, tell me we're re-taking Constantinople and I'll talk about the individual worth of my miserable life against the Glory of Rome because Rome is a dream I can believe in. Holy Roman Empire, not so much.

The UN is a largely ineffective kerfuffle on which we have a veto.

The EU is increasingly looking like a reenactment society for the Holy Roman Empire circa 1500 with all the contradictions and inefficiencies there-in.

Now, show me an Emperor, tell me we're re-taking Constantinople and I'll talk about the individual worth of my miserable life against the Glory of Rome because Rome is a dream I can believe in. Holy Roman Empire, not so much.
    Two mutually contradicting arguments. Without going into a flight of historical fancy, the EU provides much that is decidedly not inefficient. Such as regulations that ministers have promised not to abandon. Such as directing investment to regions that Westminster is neglecting. And that's without going into arguments about the single market, which is the single biggest benefit of the lot.

Blog Entries

#NotmyKaiser #HabsburgProtest #Recount1486
    Last edited by Greyblades; 08-02-2017 at 22:54.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Taplow was never, to the best of my knowledge, a Sovereign state. The unit of state was England - with some disjointed bits tacked on.

The principle is pretty obvious.

So would Taplow have been in Wessex or Essex then? Either way England/UK, French noblemen and a German Royal family now make laws that supersede the laws of whatever the old sovereign kingdom was. And it's not even like the UK was forced into the EU. It's not even forced to stay, although there are consequences. Just stop making up myths about how unprecedentedly terrible and undemocratic the EU supposedly is and how unfair it is to the glorious Democratic Peoples' English Empire or whatever.

Even apart from the sovereignty issues it seems really weird to think that smaller countries nowadays were better off alone. To say it in the words of a wise old democrat:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rupert Murdoch
    When I go into Downing Street they do what I say; when I go to Brussels they take no notice.
    http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/co...-a3189151.html

Just a couple:

You agreed to this by democratic process. Your government shaped the details for your own country, and for others through the overall direction of the institution. You could provision to leave at any time.

Now you have decided to leave, keeping, per Pannonian, a substantial part of the substructure.

So has democracy already been irrevocably undermined, or did you have some hypothetical future scenario in mind that would differ from what came before?

Maybe EU membership is a form of lotophagy that saps the democratic will and values of individual Britons the more they partake?
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Member thankful for this post:

Husar 

Two mutually contradicting arguments. Without going into a flight of historical fancy, the EU provides much that is decidedly not inefficient. Such as regulations that ministers have promised not to abandon. Such as directing investment to regions that Westminster is neglecting. And that's without going into arguments about the single market, which is the single biggest benefit of the lot.
    the Parliament sits and debates in one city, but votes in another.

THOSE sorts of inefficiencies.

So would Taplow have been in Wessex or Essex then? Either way England/UK, French noblemen and a German Royal family now make laws that supersede the laws of whatever the old sovereign kingdom was. And it's not even like the UK was forced into the EU. It's not even forced to stay, although there are consequences. Just stop making up myths about how unprecedentedly terrible and undemocratic the EU supposedly is and how unfair it is to the glorious Democratic Peoples' English Empire or whatever.

Even apart from the sovereignty issues it seems really weird to think that smaller countries nowadays were better off alone. To say it in the words of a wise old democrat:

http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/co...-a3189151.html
    Consequences?

Like being completely shut out of Europe's markets unless we agree to EU legal oversight on the people living here.

the Parliament sits and debates in one city, but votes in another.

THOSE sorts of inefficiencies.
    You want to wreck the UK economy because of that? That's just one step up from voting out because of bendy bananas.

Consequences?

Like being completely shut out of Europe's markets unless we agree to EU legal oversight on the people living here.
    Completely shut out? Sounds overly dramatic. The US are not in the EU but hardly shut out of the market, even Russia and Turkey sell their stuff inside the EU. You can negotiate market access either way, other countries have done so, too. What you probably can't get is a complete exception with conditions that are not available to other countries either, but then again why would you?

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The other free trade deals have been discussed or alluded to have conditions of "freedom of movement" attached (India, Australia) or are rather one-sided (USA).
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Completely shut out? Sounds overly dramatic. The US are not in the EU but hardly shut out of the market, even Russia and Turkey sell their stuff inside the EU. You can negotiate market access either way, other countries have done so, too. What you probably can't get is a complete exception with conditions that are not available to other countries either, but then again why would you?
    Because trade outside of the eurozone can't be restricted anymore, tadaa

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Because trade outside of the eurozone can't be restricted anymore, tadaa
    It means we'll be subject to tariffs on all trade, rather than just those outside the EU.

It means we'll be subject to tariffs on all trade, rather than just those outside the EU.
    Nah, relieved from tarrifs outside the eurozone. The EU is currently just being a jerk to intimidate other states that have kinda had it

Nah, relieved from tarrifs outside the eurozone. The EU is currently just being a jerk to intimidate other states that have kinda had it
    Do you have access to information that our cabinet ministers don't?

I think he means you can just sell your stuff via free trade agreement to markets like India, China or Somalia that either don't want it or can't afford it. Or where you just can't compete with the local producers due to distances and wage differences. Of course it will be glorious anyway.

What does the UK sell to the EU anyway? Wool and longbows? Surely the people of Tibet are dying to get both without the tariffs attached.
    Last edited by Husar; 08-04-2017 at 13:20.

I do I guess, all exta-tarrifs on trading outside of the EU-zone will just vanish. Europe won't diaapear if you leave the EU either. You don't understand what you have going for you and how strong your position is. Not just economically but also ideogicall

I do I guess, all exta-tarrifs on trading outside of the EU-zone will just vanish. Europe won't diaapear if you leave the EU either. You don't understand what you have going for you and how strong your position is. Not just economically but also ideogicall
    Why would these tariffs vanish? How does ideology positively affect our economic position? You're making all these things up, aren't you?

Why would these tariffs vanish? How does ideology positively affect our economic position? You're making all these things up, aren't you?
    No you have established trade-deals with the commonwealth that are actually hindered by the EU

No you have established trade-deals with the commonwealth that are actually hindered by the EU
    Have you told David Davis this?

Have you told David Davis this?
    Don't know who he is, maybe you should

Don't know who he is, maybe you should
    He's the bloke in charge of Brexit talks. Associated with this, he's also talking about getting other trade deals done, among them with countries that you say we already have deals with. If you're right, perhaps you should let him know we don't need to do these deals as we already have them.

Page 12 of 121 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast