Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Next TW Game is Rome : TW

The Next TW Game will be Rome TW as i saw it today in the new issue of GameStar, a german PC Journal
    On the DVD is a Trailer of the Game where some Romans fighting some Celts or other Barbarians.
    The Battles seem to be complete 3D all Warriors are motion captured Polgons.
    In the Journal is a short Preview (1 Page), with 3 screenshots, 1. fleeing light armored Romans, after them a Warelephant, 2. some roman cohorts marching on a plain, 3. some Romans attack a castle with leaders.
    The release is forecast to third quarter of 2003.

Source : Gamestar 02/03 Page 40

not quite as good as LoTR-TW but I'm anxious for it's release. I wonder what the factions will be.
    - All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Spawn of Nyarlathotep Member GeWee's Avatar

Damn.. I was also looking forward to LOTR-TW. Or Middle Earth: Total War maybe? Having 10000 orcs ruching towards you would be pretty cool to see no?

Anyway.. Complete 3D.. Motion capture.. This doesn't sound like a game that can show thousands of units on the battlefield. At least not with the current hardware..

I was thinking of that...
    LoTR:TW

Should have some nice factions and the strategymap would be middle-earth.

That game the topicstarter describes sounds more like the upcoming game Preatorians which is a 3D game featuring Rome, Egypt and the barbarians.

Question

Its not Pretorians, its a game by creative Assembly called Rome : TW
    The Engine can handle more than 5000 Soldiers at once, Factions are Romans, Greek, Eqypt, Carthago and more who are not named in the Preview.
    From the Screenshots and Text i can see some Roman Infantery Types, Light Armored Soldiers, normal Legionarii, Bowman, some Kind of Ballistae, one guy who looks like a gladiator, Warelephants, Wardogs and Combat vehicles.
    Furthermore the Preview tolds us that it will be possible to build Worldwonders and other stuff on the strategic map.

Cant wait to play Greece However, I would have liked to see a TW that would brings us the 17 to 19th centuries. Napoleon, the US civil war, crimean war etc.

shweeeeeeeeeeet
    weeeeeeehehehoooooooo TACO'S!!!!

Bah I wanted WWI TW.

Anyways sounds like the new engine will be all 3d now. Which leads me to wonder about how many until will be able to be onscreen at once. I doubt it will be 5000 unless these are some really low quality 3d iamges but who knows. I personally refrain from purchasing 3d RTS because of the way they play. They always seem to be really bulky and the graphics are usually not better from a 2d counterpart. I would rather have the TW we have now with some few unti graphic upgrades though.
    "It's a trap!" - Admiral Ackbar

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

scharukin,

a screenshot would be nice.

K.

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

here is a link:

Rome screenshots

Only I don't c Total War mentioned anywhere
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

Yorkist Senior Member NagatsukaShumi's Avatar

Sorry to burst your bubble but, that isn't the next TW. For a start, why would just that magazine or website know? And if it was CA would have released information about it here or on their site first.
    RIP TosaInu
    Ja Mata

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Yeah come to think of it I can't see anything mentioned about TW on the site as I mentioned earlier. the game does look nice enough though.
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

Those models are all polygonal, and it looks like another engine.
    "Never in physical action had I discovered the chilling satisfaction of words. Never in words had I experienced the hot darkness of action. Somewhere there must be a higher principle which reconciles art and action. That principle, it occurred to me, was death." -Yukio Mishima

Well it looks sweet what ever it is. Although i must say it is VERY similar to TW, with the unit flags and everything....
    'Odi et ammo, excrucior' - I love and I hate, it hurts.

'Excretus est ex altitudine' - Shat upon from a great hight.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS its what iv always wanted can u upload movie somewhere m8?
    Expect The Unexpected.

Go tell the Spartans, Stranger walking by, That here, Obedient to their laws, we lie. - King Xerxes

Exclamation

After making the first Roman Mod for MTW I must say I am Elated to hear that as That was my desire for this game all along.

well guys if you want LOTR TW just check out my mod...
    its going along nicely, and although its not COMPLETELY LOTR orientated you will still get helms deep battle, all the main races and maybe even a middle earth campaign map

Spawn of Nyarlathotep Member GeWee's Avatar

Lion King, URL please

Yeeeees At last I get to finish off the Romans Hannibal style, and in 3D too, unbelievable. I guess PC Gamer in the UK will have the first real info. on this, but I am curious as to how this German website got the info. first. It does look pretty much how I would see the game engine moving forward and has a lot of the same unit formations and banners - just hope this is true and not a clever bit of fakery.

Understanding in a Car Crash Member RZST's Avatar

man i hope there are better diplomacy options, ie civ3 type of diplomacy

Taking on seven years that the holy ghost had left alone
    test my arms, kick like crazy, Ive been trying way too long.
    only if he could push his way off and fight you
    Im sorry, Im sorry, Im not sure
    Getting this off my chest, the story ends.

Hail Hail The gang's all here Welcome to the Org Scharukin, GeWee, The Marcher Lord and Ky Kiske

Thanks for the announcement Sharukin. I sure hope it is true, though LotR would have been nice too. The screen shots look great, though my ancient PC nearly had a heart attack looking at those pictures.

Gregoshi begins formulating his 9 month plan for getting a new PC...
    This space intentionally left blank

If it isn't LOTR, then I hope for whatever game can give me Hanibal & his war elephaunts . Chariots would be nice too...
    Abandon all hope.

It aint roman TW for several reasons...

1. its on only 1 unheard off german site.
    2. its went 3d bad idea cos i hate 3d strats u need a monster comp to run them fully
    3. CA would be talking all about it they aint and other info would have been leaked.

However i so hope that other companies r starting to Clone the tw way as only 2 major games with this style of thinking is just not enough for me.

Rollon 2D roman totalwar or dare i say it lotr totalwar.

British Army: be the best

Thumbs up

I disagree with the naysayers. Those 'unheard of' European game sites always seem to get the juicy tidbits of news, screenshots and video clips before anyone else. I think this is the real thing, Rome Total War is the next title in the series. The one screenshot you can download from Gamestar's site (without having to sign up) seems pretty legitimate to me. CA must have come up with an extremely robust 3D engine that allows them to render thousands of 3D characters on the screen at once while keeping the framerate at acceptable levels. I imagine that a 700Mhz CPU and a GeForce 2 card will meet the MINIMUM requirements to play Rome Total War. What Morrowind was to the rpg genre Rome Total War may be to the strategy genre; a great reason to upgrade your computer.

Now let's hope the game includes enough of western Asia so the Persians can get a shot at kicking Greek, Roman and Carthaginian arse
    "Why spoil the beauty of the thing with legality?" - Theodore Roosevelt

Idealism is masturbation, but unlike real masturbation idealism actually makes one blind. - Fragony

Though Adrian did a brilliant job of defending the great man that is Hugo Chavez, I decided to post this anyway.. - JAG (who else?)

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

sorry guys, but if you look around on that site you'll see that those screenshots are for a game called 'Rome', not 'Rome: Total War'.

it would also be a huge mistake for CA to go backwards on the game mechanics over a 3d modeling. someone said this Rome game had a max of what, 5000 units? for CA, that would be backwards. never a good idea. that's abandoning what made you famous, giving up what got you there and so on. you do see this in the gaming industry, but it's always a mistake, companies giving up good game play for better graphics. that's backward priorities. never works well.

now, this isnt to say that rome isnt the next big theme, but those screenies arent roman: total war.

K.

Thus spake Nero...
    This space intentionally left blank

I hope it is the next totalwar but i doubt it very much.

infact i doubt it so much that im betting a £20 pound note to whomever wishes to take that bet.

Sadly unless the expansion cums soon i will not be playing mtw for several weeks since a stranger strolled into town packing heat and leaning out of his car gunning down police men behind him.
    there r rumors of this strangers name being Mafia.

Meet the family

Thumbs up

Morning Guys,

though i cant get a screenshot from the trailer who is on the dvd, (maybe any1 can give my a hint how to get one without seeing a black sceen on it), i have to say that 3 things are clearly named in the trailer.
    1. A Game by Creative Assembly
    2. Activision
    3. and on the last to screens Rome : Total War (golden on red ground) and the Total war logo on the last screen

So to me it looks like it is the next TW, btw the trailer has nearly the same look like the screens on the gs-website.

I will accept ur bet Knight_Yellow, because i cant loose it
    but i will bet 30 Euro...

I agree with u on the mafia thing, its a very good game, i liked it, but i has not the replayability of MTW

Absolutely agree with kraelin there it aint mtw and doing 3d at the mo is a realy realy realy bad idea.
    i mean why do it? am i the only one who thinks mtw's graphics are as good if not better than any other RTS's graphics???.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast