View Poll Results: Lancer Lines (one-man lines of upgraded lancers) - Viable tactic or low blow? You decide

Voters
60. This poll is closed
  • Lancer lines are a cheap way to win--you should be ashamed!

22 36.67%
  • Lancer lines are a viable tactic--just part of the game.

33 55.00%
  • I dont understand.

4 6.67%
  • No vote.

1 1.67%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Lancer Lines (one-man lines of upgraded lancers)

After all what do koc magy and amp know about this game?

Talking

Too much i guess..In time ppl catch up and understand what they r talkin about it just a matter of time..
    I can see many things i didnt see before.For this reason MTW doesnt bite me as much..And i know i'll have to what for Roman Total War for things to improve...
    IMO i dont think VI will improve things much..HOPE im 100% wrong,MTW has so much potential.....

BUT back to LANCERS.
    There Melle should be reduced and they couldnt fight very well in close combat..Ruduce this and they will fight as they should and did..
    Awesome Charge but weak once H2H starts this is how there r.
    Check facts on them if we uisng history.......

well if u cant beat a person with the same army u normally use, only means u need to practice more

1 row deep lancers, like NC stated has both its pros and cons - easiest way to beat it is to double it with ur cav

ps: they do know a lot, but mtw is not the same as stw

Polar

Cool

I don't know anything about this game, i only play it.

My views are long lines double clicking behind enemy lines dosn't work all the time, cav is overpowered, arbs aren't to strong, lancers are beatable, byz inf is beatable, handgunners aren't unbalanced, the game isn't 2d, the moral circles are fine, fatigue is to much on foot troops, routing enemies gives nice moral bouns to your troops, it takes some skill to play, archers are to weak, spears are to weak vs cav, pikes are to weak vs cav, all these different unit sizes suck, chain routs rule, way points around structures suck, and the list goes on....

Wink

nuff said - well done amp
    Polar

the goldfish Senior Member tootee's Avatar

lol like the way AMP put it
    tootee the goldfish,
    loyal roach of Clan S.G.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned (although I skipped a couple of pages of this discussion) as an anti cavalry army, is your own cavalry army. You can then either both rush, in which case you get to play lots of games very quickly, or you're back to a game of manoeuvre.

member of ELITE-FORCE Member BomilkarDate's Avatar

@Longjohn2: One might find this funny for 2 or 3 games, but thats it. Where is the fun part of it? Where the strategy? It might be a: "The faster klicker kills the most" competition, but thats actionally not why I play this game.

Enough words lost

ELITEofBomilkar
    When meeting with a sudden shower, you try not to get wet and run along the road. By passing under the eaves of houses, you still get wet. When you are resolved from the beginning, you will not be perplexed, though you will still get the same soaking. This understanding extends to all things.

well thats another goodyinfo, be sure u click fisrt on the head on charge between similar units.....

clicking has become more important and the majority accepted it, some of them just by the sole fact that their win ratio is better than they ever had, so why chance things that are "ok"?
    Clan Wolves: 10 years in Total War
    visit us at wolves.magyarkhan.org
    and youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ClanWolves
    and watch a Creative Assembly employee struggle in battle....

Roaming around the World looking for a quiet place to eat your family.

This sounds like fun...why not just remove all units apart from Cav...ooohh the joy of MP

Paper=Scissors=Stone ..worked so well....

now we have

Paper (infantry)= Flowers (arrows)-and Tanks (Cav)

as the SP gets stronger the MP dies a slow death.

finally u made it into here...

why not foresee our future after Viking Invasion my dearest shaman.
    Clan Wolves: 10 years in Total War
    visit us at wolves.magyarkhan.org
    and youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ClanWolves
    and watch a Creative Assembly employee struggle in battle....

Talking

LongJohn,

I've certainly considered all cav as a counter to all cav. I think the choice between cav and inf depends partly on how offensive minded you are. All of the STW/WE/MI all cav games I've been in are over very quickly. With the charge bonus being a big factor in their effectiveness, cav are more of a first strike weapon and it's better to be offensive. If both players are all cav the battle tends to be offense vs offense with little defensive aspect.

I know that in high era the lancer doesn't have an effective cav counterunit which means you would have to take Spanish if your opponent took Spanish so as not to be at a disadvantage. So, the desire not to be locked into usually taking Spanish means finding infantry armies that are effective vs Spanish all cav armies. The adjustment you've made to lancer cost and moving them to late era is going to change this dynamic, and all cav vs all cav battles should become more interesting if more of the factions can compete on an equal footing.

BomilkarDate,

You may not realize this, but the faster clicker does have an advantage and as far as I can tell all the top players are fast clickers.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

top players are good with the camera... the faster clicker only wins if he is looking in the right spot from the right spot during a rush situation... and imho that is because the game play is too fast... the pc's of today are better and so are internet connections.. the laggy games of stw made for better unit control thus more tatics... if you inculde one option more for hosting... a speed slider would be my choice.

Senior Member Senior Member Dionysus9's Avatar

Longjohn,

Yes countering all cav with all cav is an option, but in my mind not a very good one. I play this game because it is rich with tactical opportunities. If we reduce the game to a cavbattle the tactical opportunities diminsh to the point the game is no longer interesting. Just my humble opinion.

We should be finding ways to increase the tactical richness of this game. Imbalances and all cav armies detract from the tactical opportunities available and are thus, imho, to be avoided.
    Hunter_Bachus

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456