Thread: Kensi Rampage

I was just wondering, has anyone tried making an army of just Kensi and taking them into battle against an army of 700 or so? If so, what was the result? I must try it sometime, you could end up with some fairly amusing stats at the end (kills 600, deaths 2 or so).
    ROFL..Zone does not rest [MIZILUS]
    I don't play to win... I play not to lose ;)
    Thx whoever made the smilies work :D but now they don't again...
    1BC Civ3 forums

The Kensai die. Sorry, but Kensai can't hold out unsupported. They are an auxiliary unit, and don't do well alone.

Used *correctly*, though, I am told they can be *quite* powerful.

Matt

Khan7 is correct - the Kensai only Army will die quickly - as they are weak against cavalry - and almost defenseless against Battlefield Ninja. Against other infantry units, they are fine until they begin to tire. Then they will start to fall if not withdrawn. This is especially true if fighting WM or ND as they have a higher chance of scoring a killing hit on your Kensai.

------------------
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "A mind is a terrible thing to taste."
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "ARG when I'm Happy, ARG when I'm Sad, ARG when I'm good or bad. ARG!"
    "ARG to port! ARG to starboard! Arg from stem to stern! ARG!"

yep all kensai army would get slaughtered. . unless they had me in it of course! lol

------------------

Watch out for that. . . . . Dam too late!. . . the story of my life!

WarlordWarrior
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

LOL jag,I find ninja work well against um in sp!

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

kensai tire more quickly depending on the number of foes you order one to kill. a kensai engaged against a full unit of 60 men will be totally exhausted relatively soon, while a kensai ordered against 10 warrior monks will be fully reuseable and ready for another unit once he's finished.

Cavalry and Ninja maybe... but I've tried it a couple of times for a laugh and it's the missile troops that do the serious damage. Any missile unit of decent size all opens up on the same target, and someone is bound to hit - bye bye, Kensai.

They do have their uses though.. very fast, flexible flank attacks are possible, and devastating.

Member Member KumaRatta Yamamoto's Avatar

I use them after most of my troops are in melee. Sens my kensai in to turn the tide for my unit, then pull him back and send him in to help another unit.

I give him a break when he gets to very tired and i do keep him away cav.
    KumaRatta Yamamoto Sonkei soshite yuki Ratta Ichizoku. Come and visit us : www.rattaclan.homestead.com

Sent in army consisting of 1 unit Kensai (60 men), and 1 of Samurai archers (60 men), against a Ronin controlled province that had an army of slightly over 1000 men. managed to do a good amount of damage on that suicicidal battle. The Ronin lost about half of there army. Knew I had no real chance of winning, but the sacrifice was neccesarry considering that it keep the Ronin busy so I could position toops in other provinces near by. I was impressed with the results of the kensai. Also it helps to kill the enemy general with a sucessfull assination before the battle starts. Keep drawing 1 small part ,usually 60 or 120 men (1 or 2 units), of his army away and would attack that. They would usually start to flee and the kensai would tear into them while they reteated. Lost in the end all my kenasi and archers but they sacrifice was worth it.

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

looks like there's some confusion in your last post, NOLAjay. A kensai unit is only one man, not 60.

Quote Originally posted by NOLA_Jay:
    The Ronin lost about half of there army. [/QUOTE]

Excuse me, but 60 archers and one kensi killed 500? Hmmmmmmmmmm. As far as I know, archers are as good as dead meat after their missiles run out, and kensi definitely can't stand forever.

[This message has been edited by Gothmog (edited 09-12-2001).]
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.

Pulled up the game as I have a save of that game before the battle. My mistake, the army had 4 Kensei 1 unit of Archers, and 1 unit of Naginatana.
    Have to reply it and see if I get the same type of result.
    They exact battlfield had lots of dust on it and it got hard to see units at times, I rember. So I'm sure I thought the Naginata were the Kensei, since they were grouped together.

The Breath of God Member Divine Wind's Avatar

lol.....i think u need 2 get some glasses my friend

Kensai = Big and Red
    Naginata = Small and Black
    "To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

I have had a very different experience with Kensai.

I was in a SP game (forget the level - probabl hard) and bribed a ronin army that was alone with a Ledg Sword Dojo. Four turns later I had my first Kensai.

Because I had enemy ninjas attacking me, I paired the Kensai with my honor guard for protection. I then attacked a province with these 13 men, and found it a very easy battle. For some reason the AI only takes into account the number of troops, not the content or quality, when deciding how to re-inforce defending provinces.

So when I attack the province, I only faced 2 60-man units of which I easy crushed, since they attacked my position and was able to fight on favored ground. After winning the province, the AI would try and retake it, but thinking that 13 men wasn't a threat, would only send a single, maybe two units. The result was the same, and easy victory for me.

I've also found that quite useful. Battlefield ninjas are also good as they only have 12 to a unit.

------------------
    Fight first, ask questions later.
    ROFL..Zone does not rest [MIZILUS]
    I don't play to win... I play not to lose ;)
    Thx whoever made the smilies work :D but now they don't again...
    1BC Civ3 forums