Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Back on cavalry

I think Mag hit a nice note on the cav concept (though I don't think I would ever use as many cav units in the army as he has in the past - I am not as agile with the controls... cav need constant attention to be administered properly in battle, that's my opinion). But Cav = mobility... and they are amazing striking forces in the second wave of a battle.

Surgically used, they can tilt the entire balance of a battle in a moment. It's wondrous to see, and a God-send in a tight match.

Only draw on heavy cav units for me: budget. Bloody expensive.

[This message has been edited by Ieyasu (edited 12-12-2000).]

Quote Originally posted by Slyspy:

On another point raised above who said anything about having a low honour taisho? Although I do not regard the taisho as a front line combat unit (more a mobile reserve) I still give him as much honour as I can with out compromising the overall effectiveness of the army.

[/QUOTE]

Seriously in MP what is the pt of a raising a gens hon above 2? As a flanker then hon 2 is fine for whatever unit u use. If u are using monk, nag, nod and u are desperate enough to use ur gen then he should be fine. If ur gen unit is cav then no matter what yari is goin to kick ur ass but ur gen should hold for a little. If ur gen is yari then he should hold for a good amount of time too. If ur gen is range then he shouldn't be goign to melee in the first place so don't expect much. In the end ur gen should last about 20 seconds b4 he breaks unless ur unlucky enough to have ur gen get killed in the first three seconds. So u have that amount of time to either rout/kill the unit that ur gen is fighting or that amount of time to break any other unit fighting on ur line. Hell u might as well throw a range unit/units into the fray and use ur gen to flank anyway or use a range unit/units to flank for ur gen. Heh anyway the pt is ur gen will either be there to flank or at least buy u 20 seconds of time and an hon 2 gen can accomplish. That extra koku is better elsewhere in ur army, no matter what unit.

As for using ur gen as a last measure to hold off the pursuing army, in 1v1 u might as well if that is all u have left. If u have some other units left and/or u are in a 2v2 or higher then u should look what u have running and compare its usefulness to what u have. If u can possibly rally is a couple 11 men units of monks then there probably is no pt so retreat and regroup with what u have to ur partner (best choice if u have one still standing) or some high ground. Ur 60 men YS gen is better than some exhausted monks. If u could possibly rout something like 40 monks than sacrficing gen might be worth it. Some units of guns would probably worth it too.

Well I think this thread should finally go into retirement since we have pretty much covered everything on cav. The only thing that has always bothered me is the morale bonus HC is supposed to give surrounding units. Never really noticed any difference but a routing unit of HC definitely does seem to ruin ur army's morale more than any other unit except maybe the gen unit. Lates - Sori

[This message has been edited by FearOrBeSori (edited 12-22-2000).]

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234