Thread: Elephants!!!!!

After reading a report on RTW, I was particulary intruiged by a paragraph about war elephants, it said that if an elephant gets wounded it gets pissed off and goes crazy, and is as much of a danger to your side as it is to the other side, and you get to see little men flung about in the air.

It also states that you can set pigs on fire to make them go crazy DAMMIT I want this game now
    And if you wanna see this SOB get his ass kicked, gimmie a hell yeah?

HELL YEAH

*que the Stone Cold Stunner leaving the opponent dazed*

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

there there MKP, i know how u feal. but it may be a long time before this game comes out

I shouldn't even be looking at all these posts. The best thing I've found is to completely ignore a game until maybe the week it's coming out. I didn't even think twice about Grand Theft Auto: Vice City until 5 days before its release. Now I know this is completely larger than that, but the pain I felt waiting for MTW was worse than the wait for any other game I've experienced. Don't want to go through that again.

here here

last game i lookled forward to was black and white and yes i felt the urge to hang myself afterwards.

just ignore games and casualy pick it up when it cums out and it will be 10 times better

British Army: be the best

I cant help myself

Every time I see a Rome: Total War link, I cant help myself but to click on it. Im gonna try igoring it Ill have to ignore it for a long time though

CA better have it done by June I cant wait until christmas

Nobunaga0611 I tried that with Vice City as well, but on November 11, I was at my local games shop straight away

HELL YEAH

Yup me too. I saw previews about it and didn't really care. Then when it actually came out I was at Target at like 9 a.m.

im not too sure thAT I Would like pigs but bring on the elephants
    Expect The Unexpected.

Go tell the Spartans, Stranger walking by, That here, Obedient to their laws, we lie. - King Xerxes

Isn't she pretty in pink? Member Rosacrux's Avatar

I want flying pigs. With wings and all. Oh, and elephants, only the pink ones
    CHIEF HISTORIAN

i dont even think there are burning pigs for two reasons.

1. he never actualy said that there are burning pigs in the game.

2. he said it comicly so maybe hes just pulling all ur legs. besides burning pigs? more like mobile breakfast

AKA Leif 3000 TURBO Senior Member Leet Eriksson's Avatar

you'll need pigs to counter the elephants,but i dunno if you would set them on fire...Alexander was the first to use them...or so i heard.
    Texas is Gods country! - SFTS
    SFTS = The rest =

Well, I read about the pigs on dailyradar.com, i fink its that.

HELL YEAH

I wonder what type of terrain will be advantageous/disadvantageous to Elephants. As I don't know a whole lot about them. Will they be like Camels, and be better or worse to take on certain terrains? I'm sure winter battles will tire them quickly.

Senior Member Senior Member Longshanks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Nobunaga0611 @ Feb. 15 2003,03:35)]I wonder what type of terrain will be advantageous/disadvantageous to Elephants. As I don't know a whole lot about them. Will they be like Camels, and be better or worse to take on certain terrains? I'm sure winter battles will tire them quickly.
    I suppose they would be better on open terrain, considering their size. They should be just about impossible to take on head-on as well.

They should also have bonuses against cavalry, as historically horses were somewhat reluctant to go near them.

They should be more likely to panic than other troops when hit from the flanks.

they should be great for sieges. and archers should realy be the only thing i could realy see taking them down quik.

i think they should be a very rare unit, make them realy expensive and pretty long to train.

Yeh, it should take like 5 years to train them, and they're well expensive, but will be worth the wait in the long run, and the extra cost, to keep them going will be a lot as well.

HELL YEAH

Summa Rudis Senior Member Catiline's Avatar

How on Earth are Elephants possibly going to be any use in sieges? Their use was in terrifying the opposition and disrupting formations. Frankly they weren't spectacularly effective at doing either, certainly after they got over their initial fear of them the Romans combated them very effectively.

seeing as supply seems to be a likely feature of the new campaign i hope access to sources of elephants is more significant than them taking a articularly long tim to train.
    Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra

MKP...ive read from many sources that RTW will have seasonal turns (unoficial at this time). if this is true, and it took you 5 years to train an elephant that equals up to 20 turns. a bit long for just one unit i say, even if it is a big elephant. maybe 1 year (equals to 4 turns) would be better.

I can see the usefulness of a War Elephant charging down a city alley...

How do you deploy a flaming pig?

I dont think any unit would be trained solely for the deployment and application of flaming pigs.

Therefore they must be some sort of auxiliary ammo.

The only thing that could throw them properly is an onager.

I guess a routing and angry War Elephant is more useful than a dead one killed by a ballista or flying stone, hence the need for flaming pigs.

This also brings up a few extra thoughts.

Onagers must then have all sorts of ammo.

Flaming pigs, anti-personnel, demolition...

Multiple ammo types for one thing means multiple ammo for all things.

"The use of fire as a weapon" Well, this now means flamin' arrows are a possibility.
    "Never in physical action had I discovered the chilling satisfaction of words. Never in words had I experienced the hot darkness of action. Somewhere there must be a higher principle which reconciles art and action. That principle, it occurred to me, was death." -Yukio Mishima

Oh very true. That will be pretty cool. I wonder if, during a siege, we could just pack our army with archers and flaming arrows, and smoke out the enemy, while some of them die inside the burning gates. Then when the stragglers come out, run them down with cavs or Elephants.

AKA Leif 3000 TURBO Senior Member Leet Eriksson's Avatar

Maybe elephants will be really powerful,but cost more,takes time to train and you won't be able to maintain more than a few units(cuz of support,you'll need to feed them,clean their dung,wash them and train them add to this supporting their trainers and riders )i would really like to see elephant archers,that sounds interesting
    Texas is Gods country! - SFTS
    SFTS = The rest =

Senior Member Senior Member Longshanks's Avatar

Fighting against elephants should be fun too, especially when you wound and panic them.

Its going to be great seeing the enemies elephants turn around trample their own infantry as they flee the field.

Ghehe, and maybe, we will see our first unit which actually performs better in rain (Pigs like mud don't they?)

Looking forward like all of you, while wondering just how they will implement the time-aspect. Is it completely real time (you can basically just march your army over the tactical map the whole way from Rome to Carthage) or should I understand that differently, meaning they will still stick by turns? I'm hoping the last one, i.e. sticking with the turns, I like my time to think things through.

edit: typo

Monk: "I hate Elephants."

Fellow TW gamer: "Why? they are a great Tactical Advantage."

Monk: "I only Hate them when i Must Fight them. OtherWise they're nice."

Orange The devs have already stated (cant remember wich one) that RTW will stay Turn Based like all the other TW games.

Quote[/b] ]Orange The devs have already stated (cant remember wich one) that RTW will stay Turn Based like all the other TW games.
    Thanks Monk, I must have missed that. Makes me glad though, for a moment I was a bit worried they'd change a winning team.

edit: just found Jerome's reply... *shaming for not looking beyond his nose*

I wonder if they will have more than one type of elephants, like elephant archers and war elephants that just go crazy and charge the enemy

HELL YEAH

Quote[/b] (faisal @ Feb. 14 2003,10:15)]you'll need pigs to counter the elephants,but i dunno if you would set them on fire...
    Is it going to be another Paper Scissor Rock thing?

Pigs beat elephants; Elephants beat... say goats; and then Goats beat pigs??
    There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

And I thought wolves beat the goat, or may be they just eat it.
    How dumb do I feel now.