Thread: Interesting observation on \"massive rebellion\" feature

I'm playing on expert and have had the "massive rebellion" (MB) happened twice. This is basically where provinces suddenly started a rebellion out of now where at the same time. Interestingly enough, both instances (separated by about two decades)happened the same turn I conquered a new territory. No matter what I did to prevent the rebellion (I reload the prev. turn and lower taxes, increase garrisons) nothing work.

My last resort was to reload and cancel the invasion (i.e. I did not acquire a new province that turn). And guess what, no rebellion happened!!! Both times.

This has happened twice and is very interesting. Does "mass rebellion" tied in somehow with the acquisition of a new territory? Developer?

i've noticed it happen to me when i invade a rebel held province, as opposed to a faction held province.

------------------
    indeed
    indeed

Hehe sounds like real life.
    As you can bet your ass that i will rebel if my country tries to invade some other country

This happened to me last night also. I think it's because I sent my king to command the invasion army. According to the manual loyalty is affected by distance from the king. Well, I had recently conquered Spain and they were fairly loyal due to large garrisons. My king was in Aquitaine. So I moved him to Italy to command an army and next turn I had 4 rebellions in Spain. so distance from leader apparently is a BIG factor in loyalty.

The 1st time I invaded Egypt to finally wipe out those annoying Egyptians. The turn after the battle, about 3-4 of my Eastern European provinces (I'm Byz) revolted.

The 2nd time around, I invaded a German province just for kicks. The next turn, Almost all my middle east, asia minor and african provinces revolted.

Both provinces contain the enemy kings. Don't know if that matters or not. Anyhow, cancelling both invasions prevented rebellion the next turn.

Mmm... yes, indeed. I had my king leading the battles and both territories were on the extreme borders of my kingdom. I guess that was it.

She pushed me ... Member Arkatreides's Avatar

I read somewhere that as long as there is a direct line from your provinces to your king, the loyalties are fine. If however he becomes stranded somewhere he looses that influence. The same is true if you attack. You don't actually own that province so he is cut off from the rest of your territory and hence the revolts.

We can clone a sheep but we cannot clone a single photon.

My experiences are similar. Moving the Spanish king into to Armenia to besiege a castle triggered rebellions throughout Spain. What I don't know is if this would have happened had I not been taxing so heavily for so long. It takes many turns to check some of this out.

------------------
    COGITOERGOVINCO
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

I was thinking about this rebellion thing, and I thought: What would happen if, say, the US went to war and lost and a foreign occupying force was put in place in the country? I bet you'd see a few spontaneous rebellions of massive numbers of people, the likes of which would make the Papacy rebellions in MTW look like small fry

Just to put things in a little perspective

Distance to your King definitely makes a huge difference. In the end stages of a game I hold everywhere except around Turkey and the Eastern most parts of Russia. I had my King sitting in Denmark for some odd reason, and there was a storm in the North Sea, severing the naval link.

Immediately basically every province outside Central Europe dropped from the previous 180-200% loyalty down to mostly around 60-120%. The Spanish, French, Sicilians and Almohads all re-appeared with 3-4 rebellions each, and there was a mass of rebellions in the Holy Land. Ouch... really put all those teched up provinces to the test. Fortunately I could produce something like 5 full armies of Chivalric men-at-arms sergeants and knights, longbowmen and billmen every turn, so it didn't take too long to deal with.

------------------
    Azmo
    [long-time lurker]
    Azmo
    [long-time lurker]

I had a massive rebellion after I took out an Egyption army of 4500 with my army of 2500. After the battle, I had about 1000 troops left and the the Egyption army was destroyed. The next turn, Byzantium was respawned back into the game in about 6 provinces. Fortunately, most of the provinces were Egyption held but a couple were held by me.

I think that a battle may cause a power vacume in a region or may disturb the stability in a region.

JoBeare

I had the same thing happen to me until I decided to not let the king join the attack. My theory is that the game, for some weird reason, considers a king besieging an enemy castle or even just attacking as stranded.

I just tried sending my king out on an attack to test the theory. As stated, as soon as the attack force hit the enemy province, I had a mass rebellion in about 40% of my provinces. When I hit the shift key to check the loyalty color code , the entire map showed red until I actually clicked on the province, then it was back to green (presumably because the King was back in communication). So, it seems that if you want your king to do your fighting, best keep him on the defense.

Would it help if you dread rating was very high??

Historically, provinces were less likely to revolt if the occupation force were brutal towards revolters and lenient on "friendlies"
    _
    The more the words, the less the meaning and how does that benefit anyone? BIBLE: Ecclesiates 6:11

Actually, my King's dread rating WAS very high. Problem is, it seems when he's gone on offensive operations, those stats no longer affect the kingdom. Good thing for the warrior kings like Henry V, Richard the Lionheart, Edward III, Mohammed II and others that things weren't so bad for them in real life.

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

I've Never Yet seen a rebellion,
    although i came mighty mighty close this morning,

The King must be in diretct contact with your provinces, they shorter the route between him and a province the better.

Observations

1. If i invade a province with the king it lowers loyalty throughout my empire,
    i assume this is because he's not on home soil, and therefore out of contact.

2. If a single enemy ship enters my trade lanes, all the provinces on the other side of the blockade take a massive loyalty hit.

3. If i move my king into a province NOT containing a port my provinces take a loyalty hit.

Conclusion
    The Distance appears to measured in the number of years it would take your king to reach a particular province!
    Thus if i move him from a port province to a non port province he is now a year further from every distant province.

The fastest way to move around is by sea.
    You need trade routes open.

Solution

Use your king as agressor sparingly,
    Always stash him somewhere with a port and
    Build trade lanes from distant provinces to his location.

If you must use or move your king away from a port province make sure to add some extra units to distant provinces, even if those provinces have 200 loyalty! (even a peasant unit will usually suffice, but some may require 2!)

Always scan through your provinces before you hit end turn, use the overview window
    (right click the province itself, beside the province name in the banner are arrows that will let you quickly scroll to the next/last province)

The mass revolts have causes,
    the worst i have seen (Almost) occur when an enemy ship manages to "trap" my King in a province - he is out of touch with his empire!

The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

I never use my king to attack anymore even early on. Better to develop some other general who won't die in a few years.

Well, using your King on attack helps him beef up his ratings, and those stats end up affecting your whole kingdom rather than just a province. It's especially good to have a King develop a good influence and dread rating, since those both seems to directly influence overall loyalty.

Senior Member Senior Member Cheetah's Avatar

PAF
    Lional of Cornwall
    proud member of the Round Table Knights

"If you wish to weaken the enemy's sword, move first, fly in and cut!" - Ueshiba Morihei O-Sensei

Senior Member Senior Member Cheetah's Avatar

Listed in the TC
    Lional of Cornwall
    proud member of the Round Table Knights

"If you wish to weaken the enemy's sword, move first, fly in and cut!" - Ueshiba Morihei O-Sensei