Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Almohad Kaliphate (V.I. version)

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Anyone up for a new Play-By-Email Campaign? How about the Almo's?

The concept is simple: you receive a partially-done campaign; you play the campaign until you (the Khalifah) dies; you email that saveGame to me; I email it to the next player in line; you write a narrative summary of your Khalifah's life, with pictures.

To participate, you need:
    1) Viking Invasion (not MTW 1.1 which has its own thread).
    2) WinZip (available here: http://www.winzip.com/ ) or WinRar (available here: http://www.rarlab.com/ )
    3) A working email address that can accept files up to 1.5 MB
    4) Time to play anywhere from 2 to 70 turns/years of your Khalifah's life

Rules:
    1) I'll be the hub. I pass the game to you. When you finish, send the game to me; I pass to the next guy.
    2) Report here, in this thread, when you've sent or received the game, so we know it's alive.
    3) Take screenshots during the course of your reign (press your F2 key). This helps the reader's understanding. (I'll host your screenshots, if you cannot). jim@jimcee.com
    4) Your summary can take any form (extra points for creativity), but must be written and posted here (in this thread) within 72 hours of the death of your Khalifah.

Cautions:
    1) If you do not report receipt of the game within 24 hours, I pass it to the next player, assuming email failed, and you go to the end of the line.
    2) If you do not report your status (still playing, studying-then playing, etc), after receiving the game, within 48 hours, I pass it to the next player - assuming your g/f's uncle's cat died, or something.
    3) If you post no summary of your reign within 72 hours of your Khalifah's death, I'll write it for you, based on your saveGame file, and assume you've spilt Coca-Cola on your keyboard.

So: takers? Who wants to begin the Almohad dynasty?

Starting position: Year 1087. Expert. Total Domination. First Ruler: Kalifah Yusuf I. Your neutral neighbors are Spain, to the north, and Egypt on your eastern flank.

Post your name & email address below if you want to play (I won't play, unless the campaign stalls).

Once we're underway, I'll upload our screenies & narratives to a website, for all to view.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

We're carrying over the successor list from the 'other' Almo campaign thread...so far it reads:

SeljukSinan
    ChaosLord
    Monk
    Maniac
    Mount Suribachi
    Simon Appleton

edit: whups...gotcha MS
    edit #2: if there are no objections to this list, please begin SeljukSinan
    edit #3: added Simon Appleton

Hey, don't forget me KK
    "I request permanent reassignment to the Gallic frontier. Nay, I demand reassignment. Perhaps it is improper to say so, but I refuse to fight against the Greeks or Macedonians any more. Give my command to another, for I cannot, I will not, lead an army into battle against a civilized nation so long as the Gauls survive. I am not the young man I once was, but I swear before Jupiter Optimus Maximus that I shall see a world without Gauls before I take my final breath."

Senator Augustus Verginius

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Please sign me up - simon.appleton@nottingham.ac.uk

Member Member Skie Mirror Silvanoshei's Avatar
    Ruler of Solamnia, Guardian of the Citadel of Light, and Speaker of the Stars of the Silvanesti elves

SeljukSinan
    ChaosLord
    Monk
    Maniac
    Mount Suribachi
    Simon Appleton
    Skie Mirror Silvanoshei

Welcome aboard Skie Mirror Silvanoshei. I read your post in the 'other' Almo thread. Do you relinquish your position in the 1.1 campaign? Kindly respond as soon as possible, so that other campaign can get under way.

Member Member Skie Mirror Silvanoshei's Avatar

Yes I have because I no longer have MTW 1.1.
    Ruler of Solamnia, Guardian of the Citadel of Light, and Speaker of the Stars of the Silvanesti elves

Thank you, Honorable Skie Mirror Silvanoshei. I've informed the other thread of your decision.

To all: good hunting SeljukSinan please notify us here when you've begun.

Okay, I'm interested, but...

adammgriggs@hotmail.com

Can Hotmail handle e-mail attachments up to 1.5Mb in size? I'm not sure about that. Alternatively:

s359850@student.uq.edu.au

Call me crazy if you like, but I've always liked the Elmoheads...

A.

Bored Avid Gamer Member Alrowan's Avatar
    Sydney, Australia... that place down under...

i have VI and want to play
    Llew Cadeyrn/Alrowan - Chieftain of Clan Raven

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Talking

Thx Kukri

I'll start tomorrow evening CET (Saturday). Hmm as the opener I have quite a responsibility on my shoulders, just the way I like it.

Here's what I'd like to expect, from the first reign:

-Elimination of the Spaniards as faction
    -Attack on Egypt
    -The birth of the Islamic Almohad civilisation unrivalled in culture, anywhere in the world.

Will post some specific goals tomorrow.

If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

For TosaInu and the Org Senior Member The_Emperor's Avatar

What difficulty is the game on? I'm just curious.
    "Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it."

Oooh...can barely wait
    Temple of Aozos - roleplaying, writting, drawing and chatting community.

I will not buy Rome:Total War unless Viking Invasion is patched.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Starting position: Year 1087. Expert. Total Domination. First Ruler: Kalifah Yusuf I. Your neutral neighbors are Spain, to the north, and Egypt on your eastern flank.

Quote[/b] ]Starting position: Year 1087. Expert. Total Domination. First Ruler: Kalifah Yusuf I. Your neutral neighbors are Spain, to the north, and Egypt on your eastern flank.
    Oh yeah... Doh

I'll have to get better at the game before I join in on Expert, I'd probably end up grinding the Empire to dust within a few years

Thats not such a bad thing Emporer. The English game that was/is done got boring cos everyone was just inexorably taking over the map. 40 years of less than perfect rule might spice it up a bit - just don't wreck it
    "I request permanent reassignment to the Gallic frontier. Nay, I demand reassignment. Perhaps it is improper to say so, but I refuse to fight against the Greeks or Macedonians any more. Give my command to another, for I cannot, I will not, lead an army into battle against a civilized nation so long as the Gauls survive. I am not the young man I once was, but I swear before Jupiter Optimus Maximus that I shall see a world without Gauls before I take my final breath."

Talking

Yeah. You should play, this is not about who has the best reign. It will just make it more interesting, if we have different skill levels and different fortunes for each player.

Question

I would like to make a recommendation:

We should have some glory goals for each king, The player can make these himself. We should have some glory goals for the Empire which need to be adhered to and strived towards, by all players.

What do you guys think ?

Well, by the time I get the savegame the empire should be well established so my goal will be

Don't screw it up

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

i like the ideas of glory goals, each ruler with his own way of doing things as well as his own goals. im # 3 in the line so i should have a good game ahead of myself. wont really be able to decide my goal untill i see the map after two rulers

Right that settles it I'm going to get some practice in... I have had a bit of a break from MTW for a little bit as things have been rather hectic lately.

I will not rest til I am competant on expert

Ok just returned from my English campaign on expert... within the first few years (as per normal in games of lower difficulty) I have eradicated the French, and I took Flanders with style only losing a handful of units.

The enemy general (a royal prince) decided to stand in the open next to a Ballista while the rest of the army waited in the woods behind him (very obvious really), I just approached and pelted his unit with arrows, and he stood there in close formation and took it... Eventually it was just him standing there and then he was dead (all by arrows from 2 archer units) the ballista ran out of crew and the 2 survivors ran away.

Turned out most of the army in the woods were made up of archers and peasants, the archers couldn't shoot out so I sent in the Fyrdmen... Mass unit routing soon followed

Talk about pathetic

The next battle to take Champagne after the French retreated from Ile De France wasn't much better with my King finishing off the french King in combat after half his army was routed.

Now I have a fight with My forces, Aragon, and HRE Invading the Former French now Rebel province of Tulouse, both are allied with me so it promises to be a cracking battle

Somehow I expected more of a challenge thus far on expert... unless the challenge lies on the strategic map and not in the 3D Combat environment.

Guess I expected too much or underestimated my abilities...

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Congratulations Grasshopa, you have surpassed Expert . seriously though, nice job on reconizing your skills. Now lets see if you can rule over the Almohads in a great manner when ur turn comes. Good luck to you Emperor, and good luck to all, may fortune smile upon your days of reign

Quote[/b] (SeljukSinan @ May 30 2003,08:23)]I would like to make a recommendation:

We should have some glory goals for each king, The player can make these himself. We should have some glory goals for the Empire which need to be adhered to and strived towards, by all players.

What do you guys think ?
    I am merely the Admin guy in this project - so take my input with a large grain of Saharan salt .

I agree with SeljukSinan on both points:
    1) the new Khalipha should assess his world as he sees it and state his intended goals, fears, and strategy before he begins. His EndOfReign (EoR) write-up could then evaluate how well he met those.
    2) The overall method, or philosopy of achieving 'total domination' could be stated, via a consensus of the players. However...it may be too late (or too difficult, given the diverse cultural outlooks of the players) now.

Again: I am just the Almo Mailman, receiving and delivering clean SaveGames in a timely manner, keeping the campaign momentum rolling. My opinion pales next to yours.

Thanks for the Support guys, the War is still going well... A rebel Army in Brittany has been bribed and now is on my side.

Now I am master of of England and France, (I haven't conquered Scotland yet, because of the sheer number of troops that will be needed to supress the rebellious population)

Senior Member Senior Member Demon of Light's Avatar
    San Diego, California, United States of America, North America, Western Hemisphere, Terra, Sol Planetary System, Milky Way Galaxy

The_Emperor: Good to hear that you are having success in Expert. While it bodes well, don't worry too much about how you'll fare in the Almohad game. Just don't pull a Dramicus. (Dramicus intentionally allowed most of the provinces to revolt in an attempt to make the game interesting in the English game.)

The surest way to lose the respect of one's peers is to take a stand on principle...alone.

Heh, I almost nicknamed our buddy Drama-ticus for the element of drama he introduced - he didn't simply allow provinces to rebel, he made them rebel by redeploying all troops to Britain.

The effect was stunning: all of the Middle East, central & western Europe & the Iberian peninsula rebelled enmasse, and suddenly, hundreds of thousands of troops were stationed throughout the Isles. Imagine the ensuing chaos in the real world: the 'positive' medieval spin doctors painting it as: we won, we're done; Yay peace dividend, the negative ones saying we retreated, in effect defeated, such shame. Fascinating, I thought.

In his defense, Dramicus left the English navy standing, so (playing the campaign out on my own), it only took 10 turns/years to resume control, during which other now-neutral factions reappeared, increasing trade income. All-in-all: an extreme, but effective (and campaign-lengthening) strategy.

Senior Member Senior Member Demon of Light's Avatar
    San Diego, California, United States of America, North America, Western Hemisphere, Terra, Sol Planetary System, Milky Way Galaxy

Well...my brother just got VI so assuming the problem that I have can be resolved in time (look in the Apothacary for details), I think it time I finally jumped into one of these.
    The surest way to lose the respect of one's peers is to take a stand on principle...alone.

Arrow

Quick note to let you know I've started the game, details to follow.

Thanks SeljukSinan.

Current List:

SeljukSinan (current Khalipha)
    ChaosLord
    Monk
    Maniac
    Mount Suribachi
    Simon Appleton
    Skie Mirror Silvanoshei
    ArseClown
    Alrowan
    Demon of Light

The_Emperor: are you 'in'?

Alrowan: you're on both lists (1.1 & 2.0); is that your intent? Perfectly fine - just clarifying.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast