Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 5k florin battles suck!

Thumbs up

I can only mirror what Kraxis says, there is very nice historical feel to 5k games.

.....Orda

Thumbs up

Well i am started to get my head around these 5k games..
    I can even use some different formations to a greater effect now..
    In 15k i only ever see single line formations at the very most(if any at all)
    hehe..loose works fine in 5k..we will try some wedge later on lol.
    + i see different armies then the same old crap thats in 15k..v4 militars started getting on my nervers...thats all i ever saw..
    I remember in stw that formations played a part in the battle ahead...but in 15k with v4 militar who needs formation eh
    O-cha o nomimasho. :O)

Unhappy

Unfortunately, nobody seems interested CBR so I think it's time to pull the plug on VI. If the patch changes things ( though I doubt it will ) if we get a patch, then I may drop by, otherwise I will only be back for Barocca's STW Mod.
    Pity

......Orda

the goldfish Senior Member tootee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (todaswarriors @ Sep. 16 2003,00:45)]I remember in stw that formations played a part in the battle ahead...but in 15k with v4 militar who needs formation eh
    actually even in MI, formation isnt really important (if our understanding of formation is the same).. the best formation has always been AMP's single line of kensai, cav, viking/highlandclanman ...
    tootee the goldfish,
    loyal roach of Clan S.G.

PapaSmurf Senior Member Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Kraxis @ Sep. 14 2003,18:46)]To get the discussion back on track I will join in here.

I have only recently come back on the MP arena (after a large driver problem for my graphic card). And when I noticed there wa this 5k experiment going on, I jumped at it. I have always wanted to play at lower florins, but few have had the interest.

The battles I have fought have all been great so far, despite the fact I had only one low valour battle under my belt (a battle for the MP campaign with Shadeswolf).
    Now a few really good units can become the main part of the army, like my 2 Swiss Pikemen in a recent victory. Before everybody was strong enough and had money enough to have plenty of everything.

Ranged, the fight also seems more fun since I noticed in another fight that supporting archers (Szekely in this case) actually helped by lowering the enemy morale when firing in a melee.
    Also in the previous fight I almost lost an entire unit of pavs to archery very fast due to no armour upgrades.

All in all the game seems more pleasant to play, and more historical. When both are combined I dare to say we all should rejoice.
    I support that... I find the 5k battle more enjoyable and fun. Sure, pretty often I make mistakes and get routed fast, but well that's life. But at least, spears seem to be back in the game, and Elite units feel good.

Now there are a couple of thing which are not working at 5k.

The relative cost of some units is different, and maybe I've played 15k too long, but missile seems to be not effective enough for their cost; a 200 fl xbow is 'a saving' in 15k, at 5k you think twice about it. In late, I feel I can't really afford those 300fl pav arb. The relative cost weight of missile in the whole army get bigger, and possibly too big for their effectiveness.
    Same comment for light HA, such as Turcopole/horse, etc... 300 fl is a lot of money for those units...
    Too bad, because without armor bonus, missile fight is more dynamic and fun.

It's not all perfect, still I like it better than 15k.

Louis,

[FF] Louis St Simurgh / The Simurgh

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Yes, HA has suffered a lot. Not only are they very few, but they suffer from the high cost of archery too.

If ranged units in general lost about 75 florins a piece it would get interesting. But that would spell doom for the players at 15k as the Muslim hybrids would suddenly become woefully overpowered.

But you know, as with STW some rules can be made. Such as a forced ranged contingent of at least three ranged units (javelins or naphtas doen't count)??? This would force a lot of ranged duels... which in turn would give the player that controls his troops better an advantage over the player that gets the better troops. Something I have always wanted (not that it should matter always).
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Talking

It looks like the majority of v2.01 players have already chosen 15k as the standard. Virtually every v2.01 game I saw hosted since Friday was 15k/player.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Senior Member Senior Member Dionysus9's Avatar

I host 10k 2.01 games and I get a lot of complaints. I think its mostly that people have their 15k armies pre-chosen and they are used to them.

I for one am open to any sort of change.
    Hunter_Bachus

the goldfish Senior Member tootee's Avatar

Thumbs up

i second Bachus.. wish to play more 8k to 12k games but the hours I play usually see games hosted @ 15k to 20k..

i encourage all to give 8k to 12k a try.. anyway its starting to get boring playing @ 15k for so long.. if RTW were to be released Q4 2004.. oh man.. I can't imagine playing exactly the same armies, same feel, for another 1 year.

even if such florin levels may introduced some other 'unbalance' issues that are yet to be identified, which people will exploit.. it sure will be more fun and refreshing imo..

1 more year for next tw.. is.. a ..long... wait...

we need to constantly refresh our games to keep the MP interest imo.. or else some (or more) of us will get bored and leave.
    tootee the goldfish,
    loyal roach of Clan S.G.

As florins go lower cav gains strength against swords. This increases the need for spears to protect your swords. Thats how the rps system should work.

As florins go up swords get stronger which reduces the need for spears, as the player doesnt need a buffer vs cav charges. This isn't how the rps should work.

10k is dangerously close to rps not working.
    Take off your pants, baby. -Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345