Thread: Oh, Lords, hear my prayer

Gentleman of CA:

Ok, so we aren't going to get a patch for VI. I have to accept that. Since we received some new things we paid to test, and we like it, can we pay you to fix those things we tested and give us more things to test?

Look, I love this game. Since VI came out, it's the only game I have played. The more I play this game, the more I love it. In terms of replayability, MTW has surpassed Civ 2, which imho, is the greatest game of all time.

I know you are busy completing Rome TW, which I'm sure many people will be happy to pay for the honor of testing, and will receive one patch in support, plus another opportunity to pay for another testing with the follow-up expansion pack. I'll wait.

But, after you have gotten all you can out of Rome TW, would you please come back to MTW and produce another expansion pack which will fix the bugs that keep this game from becoming the truly best game ever created?

While I'm asking this with what would appear my tongue firmly planted in my cheek, I'm damned serious. This game is so close to perfect, I'd gladly pay more for it.

Please, communicate with your customers and listen to our suggestions, as the best companies do. We're here to help, too.

Thank you for your time.
    It's a good thing that war is so horrible or we would grow to love it too much.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Why do you think there will be no patch for VI? Did I miss an announcement or official post? I still have faith in CA; their interaction with this board and commitment to the game leads me to believe there will be a patch eventually, even if it has to be an unofficial one.

Lord of the Kanto Senior Member ToranagaSama's Avatar

Faith?

Yea, but financial constraits connected with the "policy" restraints of Activision (Testing), in the past have, apparently, prevented CA from doing certain things they should have done before.

Create a "patch" gotta test it right? Who's paying for that? Activision?

Will the "patch" lead to increased sales? Nope, onward toward Rome
    In Victory and Defeat there is much honor
    For valor is a gift And those who posses it
    Never know for certain They will have it
    When the next test comes....

The next test is the MedMod 3.14; strive with honor.
    Graphics files and Text files
    Load Graphics 1st, Texts 2nd.

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

GAH

This just in

Vanya's agents have uncovered a secret plan, reported by an anonymous "insider" source, that there are plans "in motion" to release a new "patch/upgrade" to MTW/VI so that it can be played on palm devices and cell phones.

So relax Now when you at work, you can duck into the nearest privvy, whip out your tool of choice and smack some gore over your weapon

GAH
    [Sips sake, eats popcorn]

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]But, after you have gotten all you can out of Rome TW, would you please come back to MTW and produce another expansion pack which will fix the bugs that keep this game from becoming the truly best game ever created?
    No way dude. I've seen this before (VI). You buy an expansion that will fix bugs and it comes with more bugs than the original because they don't do propper testing. Then they refuse to patch it and promisse to do it in the next expansion. No way, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me...
    Legacy for the airwaves.

AKA Leif 3000 TURBO Senior Member Leet Eriksson's Avatar

If they did an expansion on the arabs conquest for MTW i would buy it even if it had more bugsor even better Belisarius' campaign to unify Byzantium
    Texas is Gods country! - SFTS
    SFTS = The rest =

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

I'm hoping CA can sneak out an unofficial patch or something. I think one of the guys there has posted that he looked at the code and observed the 56 year bug was there, so they do know how to fix it. This is unlike the GA bugs pre-VI which seemed just a little too complex for CA to want to debug them for free. Just fixing that bit of code regarding age 56 would not require much (really, any) testing. Plus I am not terribly convinced that the testing is very intensive anyway, or how could such a blatant bug go unnoticed? My feeling is that CA are rightly very proud of this game and will want to put it right before publising RTW. Oh well, I guess I am not saying or hoping anything that many others have not already said, so I'll be quiet before Soly locks this thread.

I'd be right behind you on that one Faisal. Actually, why does M:TW have to end at all? End it for Rome, but why? Surely so much more could be added, enhanced and expanded on this game. And if it's a money maker, why not? I'd buy an Arabic expansion, or Japanesse merger to the exsisting game. We get a better game and CA/Activision make their bread and bacon. Everyone wins in this scenario. I can't be the first to suggest this, what gives?

Too busy with with Rome to do more with Medieval you say? Hire more people, expand, divide the stocks, and lets go to town with this.

Quote[/b] (Praylak @ July 11 2003,17:49)]I'd be right behind you on that one Faisal. Actually, why does M:TW have to end at all? End it for Rome, but why? Surely so much more could be added, enhanced and expanded on this game. And if it's a money maker, why not? I'd buy an Arabic expansion, or Japanesse merger to the exsisting game. We get a better game and CA/Activision make their bread and bacon. Everyone wins in this scenario. I can't be the first to suggest this, what gives?
    So true.. so true Well, I still guess that we all want to see RTW someday, but it´s true that MTW should not be forgotten for that..

What kind of new expansion you´d like to see? Just to be curious.. My favourite might be Conquistadors..
    -Pakkanen kesyttää nudistin-

Quote[/b] (Knight Keimo @ July 12 2003,01:59)]What kind of new expansion you´d like to see? Just to be curious.. My favourite might be Conquistadors..
    Conquistadors? Hell ya, I'd buy that one too. Lets colonize the new world. New native units and factions would make that a grand expansion, and I'd be first in line to pick it up. I got no single favorite really. I guess a collaboration of everything would be the ultimate for me. Let me sail to the Japans or North America. Ya, if I had that option, I'd become a total house hermit.

There just seems to be this dark cloud ever since we got VI. An impression of the end that many seem to suggest. I just can't understand why. There's tons more that could be done if the will is there. The customer base is definetly available.

Well if MTW is to be expanded any further and there still seems to be a market for it...the Asian side of the medival world seems to be another possible choice as well with the diversity and size of the new map that can be use.

Personally I think it would be better if they expanded RTW in those directions - the engine is far more versatile and could probably handle it all better and with more tacticle options.

Why do you think they will even answer to this thread? They give s**t about the consumers...
    Patch Viking Invasion Now

Quote[/b] (Odinn @ July 13 2003,14:17)]Why do you think they will even answer to this thread? They give s**t about the consumers...
    Argh, I see your pretty darn angry.

Well I think the whole idea of more expansions is practical and economical, so why not?

as far as activision are going to be concerned, if the expansion is economically viable, and indeed, profitable, and from what i'm reading here, there is no reason to suggest why it won't be, then Activison should go for it, afterall, they only want to make money out of us, if they can do this by giving us what we want, so much the better.

Head Moderator of TotalRome
    Refugee of the Total War Centre

Estratega de sillón Member a_ver_est's Avatar

if you buy something it MUST work ... VI must be patched or all people who has wasted their money have good reason to be anoyed.

more expansions ? ... that's ok, but not to resolve VI problems.

Imagine you bought a car that lights didn't work and the answer of the seller was " buy an extra light pack". I don't think, you have paid for this lights ...
    uh ?

if they are gonna make an expansion to the expansion (lol), they should do something with the graphic. Else, they can just make a patch.
    Patch Viking Invasion Now

For the next expansion, I'm expecting bugs which are a little more creative and imaginative.

Indeed, when I think of the lack of support Activision and CA have shown us, and how great a game Medieval is (and VI could be with a patch) it almost makes me want to cry . They don't care about us. And I can only hope that this is not a premonition of what is to come, even though it most certainly is unless action is taken. We must secure the holy game support *Goes into Uncle Pope Urban II pose* I want YOU to join the crusades Report at your local Chapter House.

Whimsysmith & Designy Bloke CA Captain Fishpants's Avatar

CA

Quote[/b] (Odinn @ July 13 2003,14:17)]Why do you think they will even answer to this thread? They give s**t about the consumers...
    Sorry to disappoint you, but some of us do read the forums, do care about the players and do care about the products. I shall have to hurl myself (again) from Beachy Head to atone for these sins.

MikeB ~ CA
    Gentlemen should exercise caution and wear stout-sided boots when using the Fintry-Kyle Escape Apparatus. Ladies, children, servants and those of a nervous disposition should be strongly encouraged to seek other means of hurried egress.

The formal bit: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Senior Member Senior Member Demon of Light's Avatar
    San Diego, California, United States of America, North America, Western Hemisphere, Terra, Sol Planetary System, Milky Way Galaxy

Captain Fishpants: We appreciate your concern but I must point to what looms as the potentially larger issue: With respect to getting results, who is the RIGHT person to be concerned and is that person concerned? Again, I appreciate that you care but I am uncertain about whether your concern gets us any closer to a patch.
    The surest way to lose the respect of one's peers is to take a stand on principle...alone.

I don't understand why people are getting so upset. It's an annoying bug that needs fixing, yes. But where did Activision or CA officialy state that Viking Invasion was the last expansion? Where does is state there will be no more patches For M:TW? I haven't seen it, where did you guys see it?

With all due respect to anyone that suggests it's a grim fact, it's just an opinion or rumor until we get the bold text conformation. So ease up, here's a beer for ya, and if you feel the need to inflict pain or vent frustration, do what everyone else does. Annhilate the French.

With all due respect, I think it's exactly opposite. If they were going to release a patch, they would have already told us. The fact is, silence is agreement. I have no faith that a patch will be forthcoming, hence, I have no faith that any problems with Rome:TW will be addressed, therefore, they will get no more of my cash.

My original post was tongue-in-cheek. Medieval Total War is close enough to great that I will keep playing it for a long, long time. I have no desire to pay any more than what I've already paid. We're even. I've supported them, yet feel that have NOT supported me. It's their turn, and they've shown no indication that support is forthcoming.

How could you think any different?
    It's a good thing that war is so horrible or we would grow to love it too much.

Good argument OBG, but I'll tell you what I honestly believe the situation is. Mind you it's just that, no more or less than anyone else’s opinion.

I think once they get R:TW to a certain level of development we're going to see a patch for VI. But there's the catch and the reasoning for what may be perceived as secrecy. They probably have to stay on track for the pre-Xmas schedule launch of R:TW. Once some hands are freed up, VI will get the attention it deserves. We’re not being asked to convert religions here, just some patience is required.

It would be just absolutely beautiful if someone from CA could simply reply “your getting warmer Praylak” ,and that would be enough to keep me content for as long as it takes. Don’t need a yes or no, just some remote hint.

Quote[/b] ]I think once they get R:TW to a certain level of development we're going to see a patch for VI. But there's the catch and the reasoning for what may be perceived as secrecy. They probably have to stay on track for the pre-Xmas schedule launch of R:TW. Once some hands are freed up, VI will get the attention it deserves. We’re not being asked to convert religions here, just some patience is required.
    I've thought about this scenario myself and i want to believe in it, but if this is so why don't they tell us this? If they did everyone would be happy and have patience (a little bit more). Pactch developing and their timetables are not corporate secrets. Clients are happy when they are told that a patch will be released. When clients are not told this its generally because there will be no more patch and they just want some more fish on their net.
    Legacy for the airwaves.