Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Viking Invasion Patch

Whimsysmith & Designy Bloke CA Captain Fishpants's Avatar

CA

Good news.

We've now got the go-ahead to do a small patch for Viking Invasion.

This means that the "56-bug" will be fixed.

(I've argued - and failed in the attempt - that we should get sponsorship from Heinz to turn it into a 57-bug. But that would be silly, apparently.)

An announcement will be made on the Total War website when the patch is ready.

MikeB ~ CA
    Gentlemen should exercise caution and wear stout-sided boots when using the Fintry-Kyle Escape Apparatus. Ladies, children, servants and those of a nervous disposition should be strongly encouraged to seek other means of hurried egress.

The formal bit: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

that is good news indeed. I am gonna buy the game just after the patch is officially released.
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Great news, thanks.

Any chance you can look at the "quick save" bug? I've had a number of occasions when saving between battles does not work - the quick save loads until the red is half way along the line and then I get dumped back to my desktop. It's fairly common (occurring about 1/3 to 1/2 of the time). Other people have reported the same thing. It can be frustrating when you have 3 or more one-hour long battles in a year and want to squeeze in an hour's gameplay.

Additionally, would it be possible to stop cavalry always coming on first as reinforcements? It is frustrating for the player trying to order their reinforcements, but can particularly disadvantage the AI which can't bring on a balanced force in its second wave.

Also, what's your view of the command of heirs to 9-star kings having a command rating of zero? Is it a bug or is it intended? If the latter, it seems a little extreme - I had a seven star king whose first son was also seven star; when my king won the skilled defender virtue (giving him 9 stars on the map), his next son had a command rating of zero.

For TosaInu and the Org Senior Member The_Emperor's Avatar

Our faith is now justified...

Zeal has increased

Thanks guys...
    "Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it."

Thumbs up

This is wonderful news Captain

Thanks for listening CA

...erm....any chance you could look at the reinforcements bug while you are in there?

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

That's great news

*kisses CF's feet*

(OMG I should learn to react in a more dignified manner)

The Breath of God Member Divine Wind's Avatar

If anyone would like to join me please feel welcome.

"WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

weeeeeeeeeeeee

weeeeee

weee

wee

ahh
    "To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Thumbs up

Very good news. Thank you.
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

A small patch will be nice It appears that you are limiting the scope of it to some bug fixes, like 56 year old Kings.

It would be nice if you could have this patch get to the bottom of the swipe issue and maybe fix the catastrophic sync errors generated when somebody drops from an online game without routing.

Thanks for listening.

"Never in physical action had I discovered the chilling satisfaction of words. Never in words had I experienced the hot darkness of action. Somewhere there must be a higher principle which reconciles art and action. That principle, it occurred to me, was death." -Yukio Mishima

Yorkist Senior Member NagatsukaShumi's Avatar

This is good news, though the bug never bothered me personally it bothered alot of people so it is good news.
    RIP TosaInu
    Ja Mata

Good news for CA, great news for us. Big thanks to the CA staff who visit the forums as I suspect that they played a big part in justifying the patch to Activision.

*Grants the title of royal eunuch of Egypt to Captain Fishpants*

Wink

In the "Well I went against my word" thread, I posted:

"I haven't bought VI yet either, but I will if it's patched. Surely the more of us that post here saying that, the more CA realise that not patching will cost them sales?"
    on July 17 2003,05:48

A mere 27mins later, a patch is announced

How cool do I feel at the moment?

Thats great news, thanks for listening
    I want you to remember that no bastard every won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country - George C. Scott (Patton, 1970)

Hurrah for CA

And there was much rejoicing amongst the patrons, and they went forward and bought Rome: Total War.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]We've now got the go-ahead to do a small patch for Viking Invasion
    Sounds like it was through Activisions gritted teeth tho.
    "I request permanent reassignment to the Gallic frontier. Nay, I demand reassignment. Perhaps it is improper to say so, but I refuse to fight against the Greeks or Macedonians any more. Give my command to another, for I cannot, I will not, lead an army into battle against a civilized nation so long as the Gauls survive. I am not the young man I once was, but I swear before Jupiter Optimus Maximus that I shall see a world without Gauls before I take my final breath."

Senator Augustus Verginius

YAY If you guys could sort out the reinforcement problem as well that would be great, coz as it currently works, its ALMOST worthless.

Thanx CA

Legitimate Businessman Member Teutonic Knight's Avatar
    My legitimate mansion bought with legitimate monies.

Talking

yeeeehaw

yay yay yay

I love you I love you I love you

So they aren't evil demonic heretics after all yay

**well boys, it looks like all our screaming payed off**

PapaSmurf Senior Member Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe's Avatar

Thanks for the good news,

How can we let you know, in the most efficient way, what would be the other points which need some patching?

There are many threads with wish list for VI patch... In MP at least, the biggest annoyance is the drop crash bug. There are a few problems in foyer (scroll bug, have to relog after each game, not to mention separate VI and MTW foyer).

Is there any room for stat adjustment or not? Any room for game mechanics adjustment or not?

Louis the Simurgh,
    [FF] Louis St Simurgh / The Simurgh

YAY

Thats just what I have been waiting for.

I can buy Rome now with a clear conscience and perhaps even a bit of confidence that it will be well suported.

Thanks CA
    'Odi et ammo, excrucior' - I love and I hate, it hurts.

'Excretus est ex altitudine' - Shat upon from a great hight.

Good news, hopefully this will also include fixes to some of the online bugs too.

Incidentally, why was permission from Activision for a patch for MTW/VI so difficult to argue for when other Activision games such as RTCW, Elite Force 2 etc get many patches?

Space

Senior Member Senior Member Jacque Schtrapp's Avatar

Does this mean we can now close and/or delete the retarded I'm not going to buy RTW without a VI patch (But I' really lying) thread now?

I should personally like to see a serious round of apologies from all of the CA bashers who couldn't make the Activision connection. Enjoy your crow

Quote[/b] (Jacque Schtrapp @ July 17 2003,09:19)]Does this mean we can now close and/or delete the retarded I'm not going to buy RTW without a VI patch (But I' really lying) thread now?
    What an unneccessary comment, Jacque

Are you sure that this patch would have been released even without any complaints? If so I wonder what this confidence was based on...

Senior Member Senior Member Jacque Schtrapp's Avatar

I'm not going to apologize to all of you negative nancies for having a positive outlook on life. That said, yes I do believe that the developers would have fixed this eventually because no professional wants to see their work incomplete or malfunctioning.

Talking

Sadly not all professionals have the power to complete or fix their work.

EDIT: as far as customer support goes, no-one can possibly say the support from CA/Activsion has been good or even mediocre. This is a fact not any CA bashing.

Quote[/b] (Jacque Schtrapp @ July 17 2003,09:32)]because no professional wants to see their work incomplete or malfunctioning.
    That must be the reasons why all products, especially software, eventually achieved the state of perfection

I am really happy we get this patch, and I am sure that the CA people who are quite involved in this project wanted to see it function properly ... however, the fact that a "go-ahead" for a patch was given just now indicates that somebody needed to get persuaded (by whom ever).

To call complaints about product malfunctions "retarded" is IMO simply inappropriate...

Talking

It remains to be seen what is fixed in this patch.
    We do not have a fix list yet.

To close the thread about legitimate complaints is pre-mature, but will probably happen in the interest of silencing public dissent over public relations.

Quote[/b] (Jacque Schtrapp @ July 17 2003,15:19)]Does this mean we can now close and/or delete the retarded I'm not going to buy RTW without a VI patch (But I' really lying) thread now?
    I wasn't lying
    "I request permanent reassignment to the Gallic frontier. Nay, I demand reassignment. Perhaps it is improper to say so, but I refuse to fight against the Greeks or Macedonians any more. Give my command to another, for I cannot, I will not, lead an army into battle against a civilized nation so long as the Gauls survive. I am not the young man I once was, but I swear before Jupiter Optimus Maximus that I shall see a world without Gauls before I take my final breath."

Senator Augustus Verginius

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

Captain Fishpants,is there any chance of including any more customisable bif folders? I know there were ten in VI but I had to use 8 of them (the ones with the facshield units in) in order to get my new factions working. Therefore I was only really able to use two (korean units from SHogun and topless black guys), but I would like to make more new units. Please?

A patch? That's great news

:Frog suddenly looks worried as she thinks of the agents she dispatched to investigate CA's office:

Er by the way if you see any dudes dressed entirely in black waving throwing stars run away. Oh, and don't trust the new tea lady if she's wearing a kimono and carrying one of those Japanese stringed instruments. Um, you'd better not go to church either, the guy dressed in red is not Santa. If the guy in red invites you to a barbeque don't accept

:Frog wipes sweat off her forehead while muttering something about "that was close":

Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

Quote[/b] (SeljukSinan @ July 17 2003,09:46)]To close the thread about legitimate complaints is pre-mature, but will probably happen in the interest of silencing public dissent over public relations.
    There are still plenty of other threads about other bugs that are still open. Feel free to start a new thread in the event this patch does not meet up to your expectations, or if you feel the CA public relations dept. does not respond in the manner you feel you deserve.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast