Thread: <sigh> still trying...

|OCS|Virus

well I&#39;m still trying, I fixed my CD-rom drive and reinstalled MTW {I could have used back-up files but I thought the problem might be there too} and only edited one file which was a file entitled "EARLY" in campmap then startpos. and once agian it looks exactly like this ->

//========================================

SetStartDate:: 1088
    SetGameEndDate:: 1887
    SetPeriod:: EARLY
    SetEarlyPeriodStartDate:: 1088
    SetHighPeriodStartDate:: 1205
    SetLatePeriodStartDate:: 1321

//========================================

I think this is the only file that needs to be changed and I don&#39;t know why it&#39;s messing up. all that happens is that when I make it look like it does above, when you go to decide what age you want to start in the option "EARLY" has disappeared. did this ever happen to anyone else? oh and I noticed that you can not put this file into the Gnome editor is there another editor that I could d&#92;l that would help me fix this?

i&#39;ve never yet got the end date other than 1453 except in viking campaign. it just doesn&#39;t seem to work.
    obviously if the campaign doesn&#39;t appear, then the debugger reckons there is an error with it, normally in the startpos file.
    if that is all you changed, then the game obviously isn&#39;t going to except that, although i can&#39;t actually think why...

Head Moderator of TotalRome
    Refugee of the Total War Centre

|OCS|Virus

niether can I, it worked the very first time I tried it, and worked for about 3 days I think then it stopped w&#92;o me changing anything in that folder. but if I uninstall it and do the exact same thing shoouldn&#39;t it work? I think I might just have messed up with the spacing I&#39;ve tried a lot of different combos but none of them have worked.

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

Do you have VI or MTW1.1? With the latter it&#39;s not possible to go beyond 1453. It might have worked for 3 days but it was bound to crash sometime.

|OCS|Virus

I have v1.1 not VI, but in the progress section I did manage to get the start date to go forword I have thought of just seting the start date back, but I think the game itself will only last for so many turns then stop. perhaps there is a patch a v1.2 as it were, has anyone herd of anything like this?

The Lordz Modding Collective Senior Member Lord Of Storms's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Duke John @ July 21 2003,02:45)]Do you have VI or MTW1.1? With the latter it&#39;s not possible to go beyond 1453. It might have worked for 3 days but it was bound to crash sometime.
    The SetGameEndDate command will work and has worked in 1.1. as well as VI Like I stated before The Napoleonic mod runs from 1687 to 1887 and I have played and tested the mod extensivley in 1.1. before VI came out and I had no crashes. I suggest you read the Dungeons Faq and maybe do a search and see what else you can come up with on the subject. I recall the first time I tried this in VI when I saw the period select screen and did not see my Mod title as a choice, but it was there unlike 1.1. I had to scroll down to see it , it did not just show up like 1.1.and that is what I was so used to so I assumed I did something wrong, but it was there the whole time just at the bottom of the period list
    Taking life one day at a time!

I did a test I copied exactly what you have in the first post and pasted it into both v1.1 and VI and the Mod showed up in both games starting in 1088 but obviously I did not play until 1887, this was just to see if the structure was ok and it is so it must be something else somehwere in your mod txt.

|OCS|Virus

well I&#39;ll take a look at dungeons FAQ&#39;s see what I can dig up, but in my example provided do you see were I screwed up? because I am stumped I want my mod&#39;s. LoL

|OCS|Virus

&#92;me looks closer at previous post. but I only modded that one area that one line of code, is it possible that the spacing is wrong?

I tell you what zip up your mod txt file and send it to ronin27k@aol.com and when I can I will check through it for you, because like I said there is nothing wrong with heading example in the first post so it must lie somewhere else?

Senior Member Senior Member Lord Krazy's Avatar

Your suposed to make a copy of the early file
    give it a different title ( well if you want find it )
    and the cn_predefined:: should read false like so

cn_predefined::false
    cn_title::"MY Early Period Title"
    cn_short_title::"MY Early Period Short Title"

Is it like that?

LK

The one he sent was not , thanks LK I assumed the obviuos and did not ask if he made a copy of the era txt for modding, Virus what I sent you was a proper Mod txt file but it should not replace the early era file it merely resides in the same folder with the other era files so in your Medieval/Campmap you should have Early,High,Late and the Virus Mod txt I sent etc. LOS

|OCS|Virus

thanx for all of your help, before I try though I would like to go through it and make sure I understand, first off the file you sent attached LOS was the edited one wasn&#39;t it? assuming that it is indeed ready-to-go I should put it in my campmap file with the other ones and entitle it something like "virus_mod.txt" then go into the file and put "virus_mod.txt" above "Early" then put the start date in so it looks something like this " Virus_ModStartDate:: 143" is this correct or am I missing something? oh and in the "Virus_ModStartDate part do I have to put every new word in caps because the actual file name will not have capitol letters it will look like this ----&#62; "virus_mod.txt" w&#92;o quotes obviously. do I need to capitolize "Virus_ModStartDate::" or does it not matter? sry to be so cautious but I just don&#39;t wanna screw things up worse than they need to be LoL.

|OCS|Virus

oh and one thing I wanna get cleared up also does spacing matter at all? I have tried many different spacings before and if for some reason it doesnt work I dont wanna have to try an obsene amount of different spacings if I dont need to.

yep spacing matters, espcially in the unit prods, not as much in startpos though

Quote[/b] (&#124;OCS&#124;Virus @ July 22 2003,15:35)]thanx for all of your help, before I try though I would like to go through it and make sure I understand, first off the file you sent attached LOS was the edited one wasn&#39;t it? assuming that it is indeed ready-to-go I should put it in my campmap file with the other ones and entitle it something like "virus_mod.txt" then go into the file and put "virus_mod.txt" above "Early" then put the start date in so it looks something like this " Virus_ModStartDate:: 143" is this correct or am I missing something? oh and in the "Virus_ModStartDate part do I have to put every new word in caps because the actual file name will not have capitol letters it will look like this ----&#62; "virus_mod.txt" w&#92;o quotes obviously. do I need to capitolize "Virus_ModStartDate::" or does it not matter? sry to be so cautious but I just don&#39;t wanna screw things up worse than they need to be LoL.
    The file I sent you (the first one) is already a mod txt file titled Virus mod txt dont do anything to it but place it in the campmap folder along with the other era files, it is ready to go as is then start your game and you should see Virus Mod available on your period select screen. I also sent you back the original Early text in case that was not a Bak file. So if you wish to mod the file further just open the file make your changes and save, and yes spacing is important even in the startpos file I noticed alot of space between headings in your early txt and this will cause problems. remember, in MTW, the program counts the FIRST NULL RETURN (Any space or tab) as the data seperator and in strings with commas counts the comma as a seperator for the data reference so any big gaps can cause a problem. I am sending you the heading for a typical Mod txt file and you can refrence the Virus Mod txt I already sent. I hope this helps Cheers LOS

|OCS|Virus

thats wierd, there is a new one there, the other one had the same file i gave to you in it then i came back 30 min l8r and I saw a new one, huh.. curious but never the less thankyou I will try it out and see if it works out alright =D

Edited part: god I realy should look at posts more carefully... I just noticed the part were you said " i sent back the original early file in case you want to make more changes" well I tried draging and dropping it in the "startpos" file and tried to run it, but it didn&#39;t work ima try a couple other things {that dont involve editing the file} and see what happens.

|OCS|Virus

hmm.. I could have sworn I posted my results... oh well I want to say I tried simply draging and droping the file into the start pos file but it still doesn&#39;t work, so I tried taking the early file out and naming the new one early and seeing if it worked then, of course it didnt so I changed the name back to virus mod.txt and put the early folder back in, there might be a letter missing or something. did you try it in your game before you gave it to me? just curious, if so that would mean that it&#39;s something on my comp and i need to find out what it is.

OK all you had to do was add the Virus Mod txt file to the campmap file along with all the standard era files and it should work just fine like I stated it should have shown on your period select screen as "Virus Mod" if it does not there is obviously something else causing the problem, what it is I do not know

|OCS|Virus

Quote[/b] (Lord Of Storms @ July 23 2003,10:29)]OK all you had to do was add the Virus Mod txt file to the campmap file along with all the standard era files and it should work just fine like I stated it should have shown on your period select screen as "Virus Mod" if it does not there is obviously something else causing the problem, what it is I do not know
    thats all I did the first time didnt show up, I changed one thing, then after it didnt work I changed it right back. why is it games seem to hate me? I think I might know what messed it up, I was looking in the file to see what might be te cause and I noticed that there were still only 3 start dates, 1 for early, 1 for high, and 1 for late, is it possible that there needs to be a start date for virus mod? maybe something like "SetVirusModStartDate:: 2003"?

errr, no. coz surely lordofStorms virus mod is simply an edited copy the early.txt. your still starting in early period, so campaign start date is the same as early period start date.

ok so that didn&#39;t make much sense but i do know what i mean. i modded the early.txt into a new campaign the Imperial era, i didn&#39;t change the start dates, or names of them, so that shouldn&#39;t be causing the problem.