Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Almohad Kaliphate (V.I. version)

Bored Avid Gamer Member Alrowan's Avatar
    Sydney, Australia... that place down under...

well ive removed my VI Cd from my desk for now.. which basically means i wont be playing much, but ill still do this
    Llew Cadeyrn/Alrowan - Chieftain of Clan Raven

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

I work with an US-born Iraqi who could probably translate for us (he speaks fluent Arabic, but neither reads nor writes it; maybe his Dad will write it down for us...I'll ask). Adding a V&V-type nick would be a nice touch, but I don't think we should insist on it.

Has anyone read the novel The Khalipha?
    http://www.amazon.com/exec....s=books

Just wondering if it was worthwhile buying, in your opinion.

Alrowan: good show - glad you're still aboard.

Mount Suribachi: You may be correct, using .unfreeze. may not always be necessary; however, my thinking is that since it will likely be necessary for at least one player, then we should all use it, to ensure that we all play be the same set of rules/heir conditions.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

For TosaInu and the Org Senior Member The_Emperor's Avatar

Hey guys interesting point about the new rule, and I think its a good idea with such a campaign.

The fact that all Kings Die at 56 makes for a good even time for each player... No more throws of the dice, and kings dying out at 40 (when another lived on to be 86).

Count me in with the next campaign.

"Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it."

Fair enough KK.

Just to clarify (and I'm sure others will want to know this too). Whilst in the strat map you type

.unfreeze.

Does this produce an heir straight away, or at the beginning of the next turn?

And I agree, the names thing should not be a rule. I will write my reign up from the point of view of a modern day historian (rather than the more traditional Kings diary), so I may apply my own names to my forefathers.

Can't wait to get my savegame
    "I request permanent reassignment to the Gallic frontier. Nay, I demand reassignment. Perhaps it is improper to say so, but I refuse to fight against the Greeks or Macedonians any more. Give my command to another, for I cannot, I will not, lead an army into battle against a civilized nation so long as the Gauls survive. I am not the young man I once was, but I swear before Jupiter Optimus Maximus that I shall see a world without Gauls before I take my final breath."

Senator Augustus Verginius

Good question Mount Suribachi.

As soon as you've typed the final 'period' in .unfreeze. you'll hear the marriage theme music. The following year/turn you get the child is born, will mature in 16 years parchment. That's why I thought doing the cheat straightaway in your first year would be good.

BTW fellas, for those who don't know, another cheat good to use at the end of your reign is .matteosartori. , which illuminates the entire map, including the mini-map. This helps the reader understand where all the other factions are in your end-of-reign write-ups and screenshots.

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Arrow

Ok I'm finally done save game on it's way.

If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

For TosaInu and the Org Senior Member The_Emperor's Avatar

Kuri

If you run out of guys during this campaign put me in for it... All this talk about what I'm missing out on has changed my mind
    "Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it."

Senior Member Senior Member Demon of Light's Avatar
    San Diego, California, United States of America, North America, Western Hemisphere, Terra, Sol Planetary System, Milky Way Galaxy

another cheat good to use at the end of your reign is .matteosartori.

For those of you who might be tempted to do otherwise, remember that it is definately cheating to use MetteoSartori at any time before your Kalipha dies. Do not feel as though you have just been given permission to use this cheat during your game. You only do this AFTER you have stopped playing. Sorry Kukri. I heard the voice of my Business Law professor in my head telling me to make that excrutiatingly clear.

Concerning unfreeze: I do not believe this is a good idea as it is proposed. One of the consequences that I haven't seen anyone mention is that it makes all the reigns for the game uniform. How? Consider what happens if the Kalipha assumes power when he is 28. He gets the throne and unfreezes a kid his first year. At 28, the Kalipha is in the middle of his life. He dies 28 years later and leaves the throne to his son. how old is his son? 28. How long will his son reign for? 28 years. How old will his son's successor be when his son dies? Take a guess.

I choose 28 years because that is the midpoint and it makes the explanation much simpler. Consider though what happens if we apply this to a 34 yr old Yusuf IV. Yusuf IV unfreezes a kid the first turn and dies 22 years later. Yusuf V ascends t the throne at 22, unfreezes a kid and dies 34 years later. Yusuf VI comes to power at 34 years old. It forms a pattern. 34 years then 22. 34, 22. the functional result of this is that every other player gets the shortened reign. The only break in this cycle is if the Kalipha comes to power with a son already born. If that happens, what do we get except a new cycle?

Point is that we’ll likely get stuck with predictable lengths of time if we follow a “unfreeze at the beginning” doctrine. My counter-proposal is to use unfreeze before the Kalipha is 40 if there are no other heirs. Basically, if there is no other option then I say that it fits given that the bug likely denies us at least a few kids through its existence. Alternatively, if there are brothers, I would suggest that unfreeze be used before the youngest brother turns 40. I find no problems with a brother serving as regent for a time while the young prince grows to maturity. I want to use the cheat only when no other option avails itself and not as a matter of routine upon getting the game.
    The surest way to lose the respect of one's peers is to take a stand on principle...alone.

I agree with Demon on that.

BTW...how does the regent thing work? So if there is a younger brother of the king and a premature son at the time of king's death, the king's brother takes the throne and gives it to the prince when he matures?

Temple of Aozos - roleplaying, writting, drawing and chatting community.

I will not buy Rome:Total War unless Viking Invasion is patched.

Arrow

Khan Sahib

I just mailed the zip folder to you.

It is called Yusuf I Al Muntasir El Hispania.
    That is the title I choose for the Khalipha.
    It means Yusuf I Liberator of Spain.

I translated with help of Libyan born friend.
    We both did not figure out the historical name for Spain, so I just used the name Hispania.

Write up on the kings reign to follow shortly.

btw the only historical Arabic name for Spain I can remember is Al-Andalus.
    It means land of the vandals and is what Spain was known as to the North Africans.

File received. Will check, zip & mail to Monk, shortly.

We eagerly await Yusuf I's account.

So many things happened Iberia is under control, the Italians raided by sea.....it was reall a very interesting game.

I should add something quickly for Monk:

-You will need to build up the navym Italians & Sicilians are too strong in the sea. They can raid at will. My focus was to take Iberia. Tunisia and Algeria make for good dhow production. I started the infrastructure for dhows in Tunisia.

-The breakdown of province production I planned is:
    *Cyrenacia: Saharan Cavalry
    *Tunisia: Dhows
    *Algeria: Dhows
    *Morocco: Berber Camels & Desert Archers
    *Granada: Almohad Urban Militia
    *Cordoba: Capitol State -> Cultural Center + Arab/Ghazi Infantry
    *Portugal: Dhows
    *Leon:Ghulams with weaponsmith
    *Castille: Faris with weaponsmith
    *Valencia: Saracen Infantry (umm Almos dont have these)
    *Aragon: Arab/Ghazi Infantry
    *Navarre: undecided

Angry

By the way I had to start the game again since my bro visited and saved over my quicksave while I was busy at the BBQ.

San Diego, California, United States of America, North America, Western Hemisphere, Terra, Sol Planetary System, Milky Way Galaxy

Kukri or Monk can get it back to you.

Kukri: Why are there odd numbers in my post? I sure as hell didn't put them there.

Maniac: Yes, that is exactly how it works. Interesting thing though is that the brother rules as any King does and produces sons. Sometimes he even comes to the throne with his own family. I wonder what happens if one of the generated kids ends up older than than the former king's immature son.
    The surest way to lose the respect of one's peers is to take a stand on principle...alone.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

just recieved the save-game, ill start tomorrow

Thanks, Monk.

SeljukSinan: hotmail may have your saveGame in 'sent items'; I re-sent it to you anyway (brothers...what ya gonna do: can't live with 'em, can't just kill 'em)

Demon of Light: it's 'cause you've been bad. Seriously, tho': looks like you compose your posts in a wp program first, then copy/paste them here, right? For spell-checking, etc.? Sometimes the ikonBoard doesn't translate characters from other applications very well. I think you used quotation marks there. The '&' at the beginning of that string of numbers means I don't recognize the next character.

any thoughts on what I said about unfreeze? If nothing else, Monk is going to need to know what to do.

I made a preliminary ruling, then invited comment. Got some for, some against. So it's still under consideration by the volunteer player community. I figure Sunday is a day-off for most players, and await their chance to provide input.

In the absence of a definitive, final ruling, I asked Monk to use his best judgment in applying the .unfreeze. work-around - that is, to consider using it if necessary once his Khalipha reaches his 30's, if 'un-heired'.

I'm sure he'll do what's best for, not only his own reign, but also the continuation of the project.

Bored Avid Gamer Member Alrowan's Avatar
    Sydney, Australia... that place down under...

just be sure to prime the empire for me.. im dreaming of conquest in 20 years again
    Llew Cadeyrn/Alrowan - Chieftain of Clan Raven

well my reign is over i died of 56 (or course) in the year 1131 (omg i died last time in 1131 what is it with me and that year?) anyways, it was a very fun 18 years. the Italians returned, Jihads and war. im sending all the things (files, screenies and all) at 5pm tonight. ive got some things to do today so i'll send the stuff later. but to keep u satisfied for now here's a few points,

*kept peace with our brothers The Egyptians

*Built many things, built castles to strengthen rule

*fought the Italians

no more untill i give out the short story that was my life.

Good to hear Monk At least you got past that 11-year reign blockade you used to have.

Woo-hoo Two write-ups to read soon (SeljukSinan and Monk).

Maniac please prepare...you are next.

Wow, we're cooking with gas now...at this rate I'll be getting the savegame in a few days time....

*starts limbering up*

"I request permanent reassignment to the Gallic frontier. Nay, I demand reassignment. Perhaps it is improper to say so, but I refuse to fight against the Greeks or Macedonians any more. Give my command to another, for I cannot, I will not, lead an army into battle against a civilized nation so long as the Gauls survive. I am not the young man I once was, but I swear before Jupiter Optimus Maximus that I shall see a world without Gauls before I take my final breath."

Senator Augustus Verginius

I'll be posting my write up tonight.

Kukri thanks for the savegame. Actually my bro saved over the quiksave on which I had initially started. SO I had to restart from beginning and played the game thru on Friday night. SO actually I have the Yusuf I save. Was aggravating but I do have all the screenies sorted now.

I think I must be the slowest SP player around.

...I think I must be the slowest SP player around.

Maybe just the 'most careful'.

Our own Gregoshi claims to have never finished his original and only SP campaign (from Oct 2002).

sent the files to you KukriKhan. i thought i'd wait to post my write up untill after Seljuk posted his. that way it'd be less confusing for those who read it.

Thx mate. I working on it right now.......

Exclamation

deleted and reposted further down.

jeez how can i follow that?

Talking

I am doing the 2nd part, now. That is more along the timeline...this happened here...in this year etc.

I thought I should take this opportunity to do some research on the Almos and post it in an educational sense.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast