Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Almohad Kaliphate (V.I. version)

lol, great account of your reign DoL
    "I request permanent reassignment to the Gallic frontier. Nay, I demand reassignment. Perhaps it is improper to say so, but I refuse to fight against the Greeks or Macedonians any more. Give my command to another, for I cannot, I will not, lead an army into battle against a civilized nation so long as the Gauls survive. I am not the young man I once was, but I swear before Jupiter Optimus Maximus that I shall see a world without Gauls before I take my final breath."

Senator Augustus Verginius

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Talking

LOL

Well this is one hell of a thread, just re-read (almost)everything (looking for inspiration :P ).

Great job everyone

If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

Senior Member Senior Member Demon of Light's Avatar
    San Diego, California, United States of America, North America, Western Hemisphere, Terra, Sol Planetary System, Milky Way Galaxy

I'll just clarify a few things that will show ho things went during my short reign. Foremost, our armies sucked. At least whenever they fought the Mongols. No unit could stand against the heavy cavalry. Units would break and run after losing a fourth of their strength (they'd lose the rest after breaking). I was charging rears and flanks to no avail. When I lost, I lost badly. Without a son of his own, my Khalifah really will be a historical footnote. The good news for my successor is that I left him with a long build queau in many provinces and that the empire is fiscally sound. We are far too big to lose but winning won't be easy.

The circumstances of my Khalifah's death are as follows: I lifted the seige in Lesser Armenia and got my fourth star from it. I found a Jihad primed and ready in Algeria and thought I'd use it to improve my influence. I attacked Anatolia with superior numbers and lost hideously. I was caught midmarch up a hill as I was moving into position. Everyone ran right when I was regaining control of the battle. The Khalifah dropped back down to three stars and I tried to take Anatolia the next year. I attacked and found that my units were just outclassed. They broke wholesale. The Khalifah managed to get into a one on one fight with the enemy general and killed him. I had 34 AUM coming up to support him (he was alone) against Mongol Horse Archers. They fought for 2 seconds before they bolted and left Ibrahim II to die.

I don't know where to send the game from here.
    The surest way to lose the respect of one's peers is to take a stand on principle...alone.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Um - Almohad armies are a mixed bag. They seem to stomp some (early infantry heavy) armies and have big trouble against others (esp. heavy cavalry). I would have thought arbalesters could trash horse archers and even heavy cav, but I confess I have never had the pleasure of fighting the horde.

According to one post by Kurkikhan, the list after Demon of Light was:
    ChaosLord
    The_Emporer
    DrHaphazard

Not sure about ChaosLord but I know the Emporer is still very active in this forum. I would hate to see this campaign die - it's one of the best going.

I just checked, ChaosLord hasn't posted for 8 days (Sept 12). I've sent him a PM to let him know. I guess its up to KukriKahn how long to give him.

And you and seljuksinan are right, this has been an excellent thread.
    "I request permanent reassignment to the Gallic frontier. Nay, I demand reassignment. Perhaps it is improper to say so, but I refuse to fight against the Greeks or Macedonians any more. Give my command to another, for I cannot, I will not, lead an army into battle against a civilized nation so long as the Gauls survive. I am not the young man I once was, but I swear before Jupiter Optimus Maximus that I shall see a world without Gauls before I take my final breath."

San Diego, California, United States of America, North America, Western Hemisphere, Terra, Sol Planetary System, Milky Way Galaxy

Its been over a week and Kukri shows no sign of appearing. If the Emperor posts here, I'll send him the game. Otherwise, I'll contact DrHaphazard.
    The surest way to lose the respect of one's peers is to take a stand on principle...alone.

For TosaInu and the Org Senior Member The_Emperor's Avatar

Ok here I am... I got your message Demon.

Been rather busy of late so I haven't checked this thread out. You can send me the Savegame I am ready to run the Vast Almohad Empire

"Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it."

Ok. Good luck and have fun. Watch out for the cowardice of your troops.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Demon of Light @ Oct. 06 2003,23:09)]Ok. Good luck and have fun. Watch out for the cowardice of your troops.
    Cowardice? Do we have a number of Good Runners in the army?

Your armies are comprised of spineless men. Or at least that is how the spirit of Ibrahim II sees it. I fought maybe 6 battles and found that morale issues were rampant each time. You have a few good generals at your disposal. You'll want to use them. (They are mostly in Pomerania I think)

P.S: I must apologize but I can't send the game right now. The computer the game is on having issues with reliability. Should be soon though.

Demon, I hope the technical issues are not giving you too much trouble.

If you could send me the file for this weekend that would be great, I am taking next week off work so I will probably have the time to really go at it.

Should technical issues get the better of you, perhaps the last guy should send the game on to me...

My email address is in this thread (or in the others).

Thanks

Demon of Light:

Message received. The computer is still acting quirky but I hope to send the game now. Stand by...
    Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer

Game file recieved and extracted.

Thanks Casca

Ok looking at the Kaliphate i see we are at war with everyone and the Golden Horde are the Dominant power standing in our way.

I'll get started on this as soon as I can.

The New Leader

In 1243 the new Kalifah, Muhammad II held a great war council of his greatest advisors and generals.

Travellers from all across our lands, near and far I bring you here today to discuss the threat of the Golden Horde

The Kalifah rolled out a large map across the vast table for all to see.

Explain to me our position.

The Kalifah saw great fear in the eyes of his men, the war had gone badly for the past few years. He could see despair in their eyes. A senior general stood up to deliver the crushing news.

The Mongols have overwhelmed us and threaten to advance towards, Bulgaria or Hungary... On the other side of the black sea the Mongols have advanced through Georgia, Rum, Trebizond, Armenia and even as far South as Syria. Our troops are comprised of hastily levied Militia but against the Mongol cavalry they cannot match them, our borders are in danger of collapse... its useless

The Kalifah stood up and looked into the man's eyes. It is not useless, these Mongol Horsemen can be beaten back... I will have no more talk of defeat, we will defeat this enemy in the Name of Allah and prove ourselves to him

I want orders to be sent forth for a massive callup for a vast army. No provice is allowed to refuse, Militia will be accepted but in fewer numbers... We need the spirit of the Ghazi warriors to strengthen our men, their axes and their courage will show our resolve back them up with Arab infantry, train more archers to use the Arbalast heavy crossbow, we need it to make a decisive impact on the field

I want lots of Cavalry to be trained, Ghulams, Faris and Saharan Cavalry. Gain the support of the Bedouin and Berber Tribesmen, I need them to help come to the greater defence of Islam

Another aide rushed in, Forgive me my Kalifah, I bring news that the warriors of the Jihad for Anatolia are still alive but their numbers are dwindling... Their amy is in Tunisia they require new recruits if they are to have any hope of victory in their struggle for the faith

Very well, I want fresh troops to be sent to join with our brothers in arms, bring in whatever troops you can manage, I want them to set sail for Anatolia as soon as possible

The Jihad went underway, the capture of Anatolia would hail the start of the great offensive... One that would mark the beginning of the end of the Golden Horde.

That's the spirit, Emperor - fighting talk. How old is the new Kalipha? (I guess you are playing post-patch, so it may be a little less important now.) After the Spanish PBM, can I suggest using the cheat command to get an heir if it looks like being an issue?

He is now 35, and the Mongols are in bad shape... Squished as they are between the our forces and the Byzantines who hold the North (even though we are stil enemies with the Byz).

I might be tempted to use the .unfreeze. near 40 if things get bad, but I am pretty sure an heir is waiting in the line. And yes I am playing post-patch.

here's the current map.

Great stuff, Emperor Given your king's age and that map you jus posted, I believe you may be able to end this campaign and retire in style. Go for it

The Mongol War

The early years of Kalifah Muhammad's reign were mixed with both victory and defeat, and from both the young Kalifah soon discovered the limitations of his own forces, against the strengths of the enemy...

Kalifah Muhammed arrived in Constantinople, his seat of command for the eastern war.

The Kaifah approached the palace where the regent was standing. Whats the latest from the northern front?

The Regent bowed.

Grim News Lord, Armies were sent to releive the besieged garissons in Carpathia and Moldavia, however they were unable to break through the Mongol defences Carpathia fell to a Mongol assault. Moldavia held out for longer but soon they were lost as well

Many good men have been lost, but I will not allow them to die in vain... How fares the southern front?

Better, our warriors have recaptured Anatolia and advanced on Trebizond, the Bedouin and Berber tribesmen are fighting bravely in Syria with hit and run attacks, the battle is slowly going our way, with luck we may be able to encircle the Mongols in Rum.

A rider approached, My Lord, our agents report that the Byzantine enemy is assaulting the Mongols to the Northeast, most of the Mongol forces have turned south to face us, leaving their northern flank exposed Khazar has been captured by the Byzantines, they may not be able to hold it but their presence is cutting off the Southern Mongol army from reinforcement

The Kalifah smelt a great opportunity, Ride out and send our Faris along the Northern front, I need them to hit the enemy and withdraw when threatened... Open combat should best be avoided until our numbers are superior

Reinforcements are due any day, contributions from all of our territories, soon we will move to secure the North once and for all

The Expanding war

Account of the later war years of Kalipha Muhammad II, source unknown.

By 1257AD the Mongol Horde was in crisis, the Kalifah led his army north and successfully retook the Captured territories.

Victory came swift in the South, Mongol armies were surrounded in Rum there they were eliminated.

A large Mongol army retook Khazar from the Byzantines but soon the Kalifah sent an emissary to see the general, a large sum of money from the vast Almohad treasury was offered. Soon afterwards the General announced his conversion to Islam, and defected with his men. A large army containing the fearsome Mongol Heavy Cavalry, was now under the Kalifah's command.

Following on from the Capture of Khazar the victrious Caliphate forces in the South sailed across the black sea, Armies landed in Kiev, the Crimea... Ogdai Khan was besieged in the Crimea, there he was recieved by a Byzantine Emissary who sued for peace with the Horde.

It would all be too little too late, for the Golden Horde was trapped and broken. Ogdai's heir became Khan in the remaining Golden Horde province southwest of Muscovy, but he was in no position to stand against the armies of the Kaliphate.

Khan Batu soon found himself attacked by overwhelming numbers, besieged with no hope of escape the last Khan fell to the Almohads. The Golden Horde was defeated.

The Polish forces in Volhynia repulsed an attempted Kaliphate invasion the following year, so for the next two years the Kalifah ordered Faris raids into their territory to wear down Polish numbers, by the time the final attack came the enemy was in no place to resist.

The Emperor of Byzantium's armies were exhausted after years of fighting the Mongols, and soon Prince Yusuf was advancing north into Byzantine Territory, with more and more Kaliphate reinforcements arriving at every moment.

In 1261AD unrest engulfed Muscovy... making matters worse for the Byzantines, the rebels successfully captured the province.

The Byzantine Empire would fall the following year. The Pope called for Crusades in response, but it would be all for nothing and he would face an Assassins blade for opening his Mouth in opposition of the mighty Kaliphate

The Kaliphate had eliminated its enemies, only the neutral Kingdoms of Novgorod, Sicily and the troublesome Papacy remained...

The man was nearing the very end of the history book, the rise of the Great Almohad Empire had come about and now on the last few pages the accounts of the final victories of Islam were listed.

The Grasp of Destiny

1273AD Kalifah Muhammad II sent proclamations to the few remaining free Kingdoms of Europe.

I Kalifah Muhammad II, defeater of the Horde, Ruler of Europe, Demand that the kingdoms of Novgorod and Sicily forsake the failing Christian Religion and unite with the Greater Kaliphate and embrace the wisdom of Islam in all its teachings. We have defeated vast empires and now the time has come for you to join with us to form the greatest empire the world has ever seen.

I would hope that you surrender freely, know that our armies will arrive at your borders within the year, fight if you choose to fight, but you know the power of the armies of the Kaliphate... You have no hope of victory. Surrender and your people will be shown Mercy

The vast Armies of the Kaliphate were despatched to the Island of Malta, and to Novgorod in the north.

Malta fell immediately, the Sicillian king promptly decided the battle was hopeless and surrendered to the armies of the Islamic superpower, the King was executed to prevent any heirs from claiming the throne... As promised the Kaliph showed mercy to the people and spared their lives.

The Kings and princes of Novgorod for their part retreated to their castles to conduct small scale attacks on the vast army rallied against them... The Kalifah ordered them to be starved out.

The New Weaponry

By the time the kingdom of sicily fell, the superior culture and learning of the Kaliphate were shown on the battlefield for all to see.

Guns had made their way onto the battlefield, the first units of Handgunners and Mortars were produced in Iberia. At the Kalifah's orders they converged on Cordoba awaiting his arrival, soon a Jihad would march off to defeat Pope Giovanni III, and bring final victory to the armies of Islam.

The Last Jihad

Kalifah Muhammad II, appeared before the teeming masses in 1275AD.

Our armies have overcome vast Kingdoms and now thanks to the efforts of our forefathers, we are at the end of our struggle.

The time has come for the armies of the Kaliphate to march upon the Papacy for the final victory of Islam and the security of our people Today I will lead you in a Jihad, the final struggle for the faith to finish off the Catholic Crusaders forever

After the Kalifah had finished speaking, he turned the entire army to face Mecca and led them all in prayer.
    The Almohad fleet sailed later in the year for the papal States... the last outpost of Christianity.

The Pope and the Kaliph

Early in 1276AD the Jihad army arrived in the Papal States, By all accounts Pope Giovanni III was defiant to the last. He was determined to go down fighting, to be worthy of rememberence. The Pope prayed long and hard for a miracle from the Lord hoping that the almighty would stretch out his hand and smite the infidel armies from the world... But God had forsaken Christendom, the Pope stood with a small force watching as thousands of men advanced over the horizon.

Battle would be joined.

It is known that Pope Giovanni chose the high ground and that Kalifah Muhammad took the unusual move of attacking uphill. Charging ahead of his Men, the Kalifah personally mowed down the small groups of enemy infantry as they ran.
    Behind him came the Gunners, ready to give a first hand demonstration of Islamic learning to the Pope.

The Guns let loose their volleys at the Pope and his bodyguards. His men fell without any indication that they had been struck, for now arrow could be seen flying through the air.

The Pope's ragtag remnanats could not stand the barrage of lead and retreated back to the fort of Perugia but it would offer no protection against the Almohad Horde rapidly closing ground. He fled the field.

The retreat of Pope Giovanni to Fort Perugia would bring about no change to the outcome, trapped with only 13 survivors & the Papal leadership with no hope of escape. They could only hope that the end would come quickly, and it would.

Kalifah Muhammad brought up his siege engines, A Ballista a Trebouchet, and the latest in gunpowder artillery The Mortar Cannon The barrage was devestating, the wooden fort wall was quickly breached and the fort tower itself destroyed.

Gunners advanced onwards through the breach unloading more of their fearsome death into the enemy infantry, Pope Giovanni charged into their flank killing many. Behind him a fearsom battle cry was let loose as the Kalifah personally came storming in to claim the head of his enemy

The Pope fell to the Kalifah's blade, his body was hung up upon the tattered remains of Fort Perugia where it would remain as a remainder to the ultimate failiures of Christianity.

1277AD The Kallifah was now 55, but his empire stretched from North Africa and Spain to the far reaches of Russia, Britain and Arabia.

All were united under a single banner, the banner of the Mighty Kalifah

Closing the last page the man saw a small phrase the summed up the enormity of the victory of all the Kalifahs... And the greatness they they had brought to the world

Quote[/b] ]On the Wstern fringes of Islam a mighty Empire was born, its armies swept across the world taking many lands, yet greatness is measured in more than just armies and wealth. In an age of fear and bigotry the new rulers brought a spirit of tolerance extending to each man the freedom to worship as he will, asking in return only obedience to God.

All Tremble before the power of the Kalifah's armies, yet they also marvel at the glories of his realm. Its Architecture, Gardens and above all its Science and Learning.

The Kalifah has brought a taste of Paradise to those on earth...

Bravo, Emperor - a great performance and fitting finale to the campaign All completed by age 55 - you did not need the patch. I especially liked the use of the new fangled gunners to mark the final victory and dawn of a new age.

Great finish and great write up The Emperor. A fitting finish to what has been a high quality PBEM from start to finish IMO, both in terms of play and write ups. Bravo to all

btw, look at the portrait for Giovanni III in the pre-battle screen. Anyone else think he looks nervous?

Thanks guys, well played by all who took part.

Quote[/b] ]btw, look at the portrait for Giovanni III in the pre-battle screen. Anyone else think he looks nervous?
    Yes very fitting that he had that portrait at the end... but I think you'd be nervous too if you had to face off against a fearsome 2,000 strong army of fanatics

Quote[/b] ]I especially liked the use of the new fangled gunners to mark the final victory and dawn of a new age.
    Yep the Gunners were ready just in time, I figured they would be useful in the wars that were raging in the Steppes, but it all ended too quickly. After putting all the effort into them, I had to use them

Well done Emperor,you are truely a great general.
    To the Sprucemoose Smithers "but sir",click,"I said get in!"

hey emperor, out of curiosity, how useful were those gunners? did they really do any good, or was it just for the sake of narrative? cos whenever i've used gunpowder troops, i've found them to be worse than useless. a liability even.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote[/b] (All_the_Sultan's_horses @ Dec. 21 2003,06:43)]hey emperor, out of curiosity, how useful were those gunners? did they really do any good, or was it just for the sake of narrative? cos whenever i've used gunpowder troops, i've found them to be worse than useless. a liability even.
    Well I did find them useful, Gunpowder inspires fear more than anything with the heavy Morale penalty... They make for a good early shock before the lines clash, but I do not rely on them.

I had so many troops it mattered not what I used in the end, but I had invested a lot of time and effort into getting the Guns on the field, and I just had to use them.

Guns may not be the ultra-hard units we wish them to be but the morale penalty they inflict is enough to encourage the enemy to rout a bit sooner... And in a game like MTW where Morale is everything, that is handy.

Besides using Gunpowder was a real cool way of finishing off the campaign and making the battle unique... I just like to finish my Campaigns in style

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910