Thread: making a new unit.

|OCS|Virus

I want to make a new unit, and I have read all of "Duke John's Definitive Guide to Graphics modding" and have a few questions but lets take these one at a time, first it sais in there that " I need paintshop pro, also a similar program will suffice" so I am wondering sence I dont have Paintshop pro, the best thing I have is MS paint, does anyone know if this program is advanced enough to create a new unit. there will be other questions I will post here, even though I have another thread going in "entrance hall" I thought that I would probly get better answeres here instead.

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

My guide is far from finished is at the moment still focusing on editing graphics and animation theories. As written in the guide, Paint Shop Pro or a similar program is necessary for editing graphics. Making new unit graphics requires different programs and those will be handled in other chapters.

Please don't think that I will answer any questions regarding making new units. That's why I'm making the guide; to avoid having to write the same things over and over again. It requires alot of time and thinking to answer in a correct and clear way.

Cheers, Duke John

|OCS|Virus

by "all of duke johns guide to unit graphics" I ment all so far, it was suggested to me at entrance hall thats why i even bothered to say it, LoL I just wanted to know if MS paint was able to edit the graphics of it, because I dont know if you just need the right pixels in the right place or if you need some sort of file. I am looking forword to the rest of your guide, but I need answeres before that LoL.

well, i have edited stuff in paint, but i had to use a jasc software program - probably photoshop to save as bif and convert etc. i don't think you can save the files to .bif with paint

Head Moderator of TotalRome
    Refugee of the Total War Centre

|OCS|Virus

grrr... no paint doesnt convert to .bif, but I know paint shop can man I only have 30 day version. ={

Senior Member Senior Member shand994's Avatar

paintshop doesnt save as a bif, you need to save it as a bmp then import it as a bif using bifreader

" 'I freed you, and this is your gratitude?'
    'You delivered pain. Unacceptable. I am not one to feel pain. I only deliver it.'"

no, i opened the files i was editingusing paintshop, saved the mas jpeg, coz i always use paint for simple editing - edited them using paint, reopened the jpeg using paintshop and saved as bif, back in the original location. i didn't use any bif reader at all.

Head Moderator of TotalRome
    Refugee of the Total War Centre

|OCS|Virus

so you made pic in paint then saved jpeg and reopened + saved as a bif in paintshop, cool. does anyone know of a diff prog that might let me open bif's outside of paintshop and bifreader? just out of curiosity, I could probly use the bifreader if I need to. but how did you get the pic from MTW files to paint? you would need to convert to a jpeg first wouldnt you?

Senior Member Senior Member Ithaskar Fëarindel's Avatar

Prince, which version of Paintshop (PSP) are you using? PSP (my version) definitely doesn't save as .bif

Or do you mean PhotoShop? I don't think I have that, but I'd be surprised if that saved as bif (as well as overjoyed... I'll want a copy of it )
    Fëa-Quendi

*~Member of the Ronin Warlords and of UGLI~*
    *~IthaskarRW~*

Running round in circles IS better, B!

|OCS|Virus

paint shop will save as a .bif at least paintshop pro 8 does =}