Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Exactly how  bad are you?

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (frogbeastegg @ June 24 2003,13:18)]I suppose the time I got addicted to geisha counts. I loved the cut scenes so much I assassinated everything in sight and ended up fighting a Japan full of very angry and united rebels. Being out numbered by around 50 provinces is not fun.
    been there
    I loved the way the rebels would co-ordinate attacks in Shogun,
    I especially loved when a faction which had Geisha's died out and you had rebel Geisha to contend with...

The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

at the very beginning of a battle, i saw a hill that was overlooking me and decided to station my troops there (i was defence), my archers in the front. however, when i started, i was facing the enemy, calvary in the front, 50m from where my archers where...

horrible defeat. whole army fled...
    Some say, "Attack is the best form of defence..."
    Some say, "Counterattack is the best form of defence..."
    I say, "Go beserk!"

Quote[/b] (Lord_PH @ July 05 2003,18:08)]at the very beginning of a battle, i saw a hill that was overlooking me and decided to station my troops there (i was defence), my archers in the front. however, when i started, i was facing the enemy, calvary in the front, 50m from where my archers where...

Yes, I love this blunder as well
    It's great when you spend half an hour meticulously placing those troops, taking great care that everything is taken care of, all angles covered, etc., only to find yourself within a bowshot of the AI army, who charges instantly and all that trouble goes to waste in seconds. Kinda like when you build a card house, and then the wind blows...
    Some people get by with a little understanding
    Some people get by with a whole lot more - A. Eldritch

Quote[/b] (hrvojej @ July 05 2003,18:28)]Yes, I love this blunder as well
    It's great when you spend half an hour meticulously placing those troops, taking great care that everything is taken care of, all angles covered, etc., only to find yourself within a bowshot of the AI army, who charges instantly and all that trouble goes to waste in seconds. Kinda like when you build a card house, and then the wind blows...
    How about; doing that loving set up and then just as the enemy assaults pushing the flee button on your' general's unit instead of the ungroup
    Veni, Venti, Gripi
    I came, I saw, the food did not agree with me.

I like to attack right where the enemy will never expect it Right up through the middle, across the minefield in broad daylight.

Attack I say. But general, they outnumber us 3 to 1. Destroy them I say. But sir, our men need to rest after the all night march. Don't give me excuses, charge Sir, the enemy has much higher quality of weapons, armor and surely a better general. I don't want any more excuses. Surround them and annihilate them

Needless to say, I was not the victor on the battlefield this day. Boy, it sure is hard to get an army who will win with my superior tactics.

I played STW first and loved it, but I can't remember any of my defeats well enough that I could write them down. I bought MTW the day it was released and I figured it would work pretty much the same way. Even so when I started my first campaign (English) I autocalced almost all the battles to get a handle on the campaign map. A number of years in I decided I'd start doing the battles myself.
    It wasn't a large battle, about 400 men on each side as those pesky French backstabbingly attempted to take Flanders from my grasp. Not a problem I think. As I get to deployment my STW training kicks in; Look for the best hill, and there it is, right in the middle of the map. No problem. I set up, I click to start the battle and take a look at what he is attacking with...

Ooh, that looks interesting What is it?
    A Trebuchet?
    I thought they were only for sieges?
    Err... It's firing

Bang Enormous casualties to my spearman unit. And bounces into the archers behind them.
    Err...
    Err...

It fires again.

Bang More casualties, this time to my general's unit of Hobilars...

His forces are closing in a bit by now and he has quite a bit of light cavalry. If I try to withdraw from the hill I'll get chased down... If I stay where I am I'll get pounded into jelly.

Twang The Mangonel fires again... It hits my general's unit again and... he gets squashed. The enemy charges, my peasants break... my hobilars break... most of the rest of my army decides that discretion is the safer part of valour and desertion the best way of staying alive...

Disaster...

I've been playing since the game came out and swear I've never seen artillery being used as devastatingly as in that first time I saw it... Probably it was just the shock of it, but also I learnt very fast never to set up a defence within artillery range of the attacker

For TosaInu and the Org Senior Member The_Emperor's Avatar

Quote[/b] (Lord_PH @ July 06 2003,00:08)]at the very beginning of a battle, i saw a hill that was overlooking me and decided to station my troops there (i was defence), my archers in the front. however, when i started, i was facing the enemy, calvary in the front, 50m from where my archers where...

You clearly were not paying attention to the tutorial mission of defending on a hill... Archers always go Behind Spearmen

But yeah I have had some real surprises when deployment is over.

I really didn't like it when I attacked some Rebels in France, The Germans who were my allies joined me and I thought it would be easy. The rebels had a fairly competent general, similar to mine, but I had slightly more men... I thought it would be easy having the Germans backing me as well.

We start off facing a large very good hill and I think I'll rush that and take it The Battle starts and the Germans are beside me in the Woods nearby I start my climb up the hill and what do I see when my units come near the top... The Whole enemy army camped out in front of me and they started to charge Clearly they couldn't see the Germans in the woods and focused all their units on me.

The Germans were busy wandering around the Hill trying to outflank... Lord knows what was going on in their leader's mind, but after a good battle my general was killed and my army was routed off the map before the Germans even got within bowshot

Talk about humiliating (and yes the general was a good runner afterwards) I regrouped and attacked with my King, the Germans came in once again and the rebels were slaughtered.

Rest assured I executed all the rebels as revenge for my defeat

"Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it."

My lowest moment is visible for all to see in the Main Hall thread, Emperor of Byzantium.

I bought Shogun the day of its UK release.

I bought Medieval the day of its UK release

I bought Viking Invasion the day of its UK release.

Then I go and post that I've found a bug where your income increases by 1 every turn. Guess which muppet was looking at the year...
    "I request permanent reassignment to the Gallic frontier. Nay, I demand reassignment. Perhaps it is improper to say so, but I refuse to fight against the Greeks or Macedonians any more. Give my command to another, for I cannot, I will not, lead an army into battle against a civilized nation so long as the Gauls survive. I am not the young man I once was, but I swear before Jupiter Optimus Maximus that I shall see a world without Gauls before I take my final breath."

Senator Augustus Verginius

Senior Member Senior Member ShaiHulud's Avatar

There's been so many battles, I can't recall how bad I was. (Convenient, eh?)

Yet, I still recall one victory turned to ashes when my 6-star general, busily pursuing a fleeing enemy, was smashed by a catapult.....my own.
    O stranger, Go tell the Spartans that we lie here, obedient to their will.....

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Moved to its natural home in the Mead Hall.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

For England and St.George Senior Member ShadesWolf's Avatar

Erm how shall I begin

I have the ability, and Sinan and Tarrak, will beack me up on this one - To turn an online victory into defeat. Im not sure how I manage to achieve this operation. All will be going well, my range weapons are wiping the enemy out, with easy, as a last chance the enemy charges me. Usually I have a line full on kills, and yes u guessed it, it changes to a line full of deaths..........

The other activity I would like to share with you is my heirs ability, when playing as the HRE, to start a rebellion within the first 5 years of the game. This I seem to excel at. It usually coincides within the pope X-comming me and an invasion by either France, Poland or Hungary.

ShadesWolf
    The Original HHHHHOWLLLLLLLLLLLLER

Im a Wolves fan, get me out of here......

I just remembered another embarrassing tale about my early days in Shogun, this one had been deeply buried in my memory as it is psychologically traumatising.

When I was first playing Shogun the graphics were a little blurry (it was running on a voodoo 2) and it was hard to see the little details on the samurai. I spent half an hour setting up my army for a massive defensive battle in my first campaign, carefully arranging my troops in the best conditions. Then the battle starts; the enemy draw closer and I wonder why my archers aren't firing. I decide that the enemy must be slightly out of range, a few seconds later and they still aren't firing and the enemy are getting really close. I'm starting to get worried and a little annoyed. Now the enemy are only a few meters away and will be charging soon and still no arrows, the archers are definitely on fire at will and in range this is ridiculous Three seconds later my entire army runs away with no casualties on both sides and no orders being given by me. It was only as they started to run that I realised what the problem was - I had set the army up backwards Yep, that's right the samurai were stood there with their backs to the enemy.

My excuse is that the graphics were so blurry I couldn't see which way the men were facing. You see if you drag a unit out you have to do it behind where the unit will be placed and you have to drag from left to right. Anything else will set the unit up backwards. This is one of those undocumented features that I only found out about because of incidents like this.

Yes I did say that as a plural, I set various units up backwards in other battles too. It took me about 30 battles to realise what was happening and why the units were sometimes ending up backwards.

You might wonder why I suddenly remembered this now, there’s a simple answer to that. I just did it again while testing a theory for my unit guide One group of yari ashigaru were withdrawn from chasing a rout and accidentally set up backwards on my left flank. The enemy regrouped as I intended and attacked the ashigaru who ran away without even fighting back.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Default Re: Exactly how  bad are you?

Just add to answer to this post, first off to congratulate frogbeastegg on her really excellent story about Shogun: Total War and second to tell you about my biggest blunder, which makes me sad to this day.

It was right there, while playing the Shogun demo, that has already been mentioned in this thread, that I came to the last lesson, which would teach me the way of a truly great commander. So I sat there, mouse at the ready, hands on the keyboard mostly hitting the 'Pause' key desperately. But it was all to no avail, no matter how I shifted my units around, whether I attacked on the right or the left flank or even tried to force my way through the middle it was always the same devastating result:
    My Cavalry would face their Spears!
    My Archers would face their Cavalry!
    My Spears would just mill around trying to reach the cavalry, while being peppered with arrows!

I tried again and again but it was to no avail, I just couldn't win. So I sat back and considered, rewatchted that one glorious video I had of Shogun TW from a gaming mag, that showed the game in all its glory. And I sat there thinking to myself: 'If you can't even beat the demo, because you are too stupid to control your army, how in hell could you stand a chance in the real game.'
    Well, I was young and naive back then and probably too fatalistic and didn't buy S:TW as a result. M:TW finally managed to get me over my first frustrating TW experience and got me hooked.
    But due to that one fatal experience I missed out on Shogun Total War and haven't gotten around to play it until this day, which everything considered is a truly sad thing to behold.

Sad!

Ituralde
    Last edited by Ituralde; 07-15-2006 at 11:14.
    The lions sing and the hills take flight.
    The moon by day, and the sun by night.
    Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
    Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

—chant from a children's game heard in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Default Re: Exactly how  bad are you?

My story involves a small battle, nothing like the grand ones described before. When I picked up M:TW for $10 I had no clue how to play. When it came out I was more focused in AD&D style games and didn’t like the look of it.

Playing the Spanish (because they’re the best faction!) I immediately decided to get a jump start on the Reconquista. So I put together an army and attack the Elmos. Things start well, I begin to learn of the beauty of jinettes, and then I’m attacked.

Nothing big, just a few units per side. Only units of note are my spearmen and a unit of AUM. Before this I thought spearmen were similar to ancient phalanxes and no unit with their tiny little swords can break through THIS! Set 4 or 5 deep, I park them on a nice hill and eagerly await the death of many Muslims. Then they attacked.

As the AUM slowly, steadily chewed their way through my men I thought: “Huh, they’re doing pretty good but maybe they’ll run out of momentum soon.” But no, I loose.

Well I think, let’s try it again; maybe I just had some bad “rolls” or something. So here I go. Same everything and I loose. “This can’t be! Let’s try it again to see if we can find a better hill.” Eventually I get a map with a better hill. I mean like a 45 degree hill that you have to climb on all fours. As the AUMs chew through my men I zoom in saying: “Go, go go!” (I probably should have said stop, stop, stop).

Battle lost and the known universe falling down around me I finally retreat and say: “Off to the Forums!” And now I know that was a bad idea.
    Last edited by Vladimir; 07-19-2006 at 18:28.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123