Thread: got it to work =}

|OCS|Virus

huh, here is a wierd one. I did finaly get projectilestats.txt to work and everything, but for some unknown reason if I maximize the screen it gives me a runtime error 9 message. anyone know how to get rid of it? at least it mostly works now

What did you use to edit projectilestats.txt?

I use wordpad for all mtw files with notepad open for cutting and pasting. I then use Gnome to check integrity and if I've placed all new data in the right columns. But this is an old habit from editing SFC's shiplist files

It's slower than just using Gnome, but I yet to get an error like you described above. I've had lots and lots and lots of other types of errors though.
    Skill counts for nothing when an angel pees down the touchhole of your musket. - Anonymous soldier.

|OCS|Virus

I use Gnome untill I can figure out the word pad section of it, it is also in Gnome editor that I recive this message.

Using wordpad when Gnome is available is kind of counter productive. My reason is that I just don't trust an editor to correctly format a tabulated text file.

But, if you want to learn, first understand that wordpad adds a carriage return on the end when you select whole lines using the reverse arrow. This can cause problems later where you get that message about by saveing as a text file, you will lose all formatting.

A less risky method of selecting a line is as follows - place the curser at the beginning and with 'shift' held down, press 'end'. Then press the back arrow (not backspace) once so the CR isn't selected. Press ctrl-c (or ctrl-x to cut) and ctrl-v to place that line where you want it.

Beyond that, to change text is simply a matter of selecting all of the text in a field and then typing in the new value. What makes Gnome easier is that doing this in wordpad gets extremely tedious and can be quite confusing.

One thing that helps me is to open the "Find text" box and place the bottom of the box in the middle of the line above the one I'm editing (or the top that box in the the line below). Then as long as I don't scroll up or down, I always know I'm editing the right line.
    Skill counts for nothing when an angel pees down the touchhole of your musket. - Anonymous soldier.