Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: King of Poland

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Sto lat (100 years)

Dzien dobry (Good morning)

I am Wladyslaw II, King of Poland in the year of our Lord 1101.

Our once tiny nation has expanded to Pomerania, Volhynia & Lithuania (where my brother, Prince Casimir is stationed).

We are allied with our neighbors the HRE & Hungary. Also with Pope Urban II, Sicily, Byzantium, Aragon and England (who are at war with the French). Our 1400-man army (of mostly woodsmen & archers) are positioned primarily in our borderlands, subduing and converting the pagan, while building churches and fundamental defenses. Once those lands are securely in our grasp, we plan to concentrate on trade and agriculture to build up our treasury (now standing at 2700 florins, 272 annual income).. We admit to an envious eye toward Kiev's resources and sea access - if it is in our power, and an opportunity presents itself, we hope to bring Polish freedom to that province's rebels; but our friends, the Byzantines, may have other ideas.

I shall report again in a few years time, the state of our nation and the world.

p.s. This is a domination game, not Glorious Achievement.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Wladislaw II dies in 1149, at age 74 File sent to LeeJackson. Writeup follows tomorrow.

Senior Member Senior Member Demon of Light's Avatar
    San Diego, California, United States of America, North America, Western Hemisphere, Terra, Sol Planetary System, Milky Way Galaxy

Just a thought but the early Kings might want to manipulate the family tree so that the king can produce kids with high command stars. Later monarchs will likely be grateful. Also, dread and acumen are hereditary. Just something to keep in mind(while you throw your 1 star prince into the waiting spears of the Livonians.)

P.S to Shand: When can we expect to see a full write up of your Polish AND English game?
    The surest way to lose the respect of one's peers is to take a stand on principle...alone.

Senior Member Senior Member shand994's Avatar

Sorry have beena bit busy pst few days, havent had time to do the English campaign will do it tonight for sure.

As to the polish write up, there wasnt much to right about i will post some screenshots tomorrow and try n do a bit of a write up, but beware im not much of a writer.

" 'I freed you, and this is your gratitude?'
    'You delivered pain. Unacceptable. I am not one to feel pain. I only deliver it.'"

file recived. will start tomrrow. KukriKhan I am goign to need you to edit and post teh screen shots. Thanks in advance.

And wish me luck
    All you can do is pray for a quick death... which you ain't gonna get -Mr. Blonde

Finished, did a rather decent job if I do say so myself. Write up proabably not till tomrrow.

I need help with one thing though. I dont have a viewer for the TGA files. Any suggestions. I can do A write up with out screen shots, but it'd be much cooler to have them.
    All you can do is pray for a quick death... which you ain't gonna get -Mr. Blonde

Bored Avid Gamer Member Alrowan's Avatar
    Sydney, Australia... that place down under...

just a note guys, when you save the map pics, make them into a GIF file, the image is sharper
    Llew Cadeyrn/Alrowan - Chieftain of Clan Raven

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Sounds good, LeeJackson. Have you passed the save game on to the next player? (E-mail address on the first page)

The link for a free TGA viewer is given in the following apothecary thread:

http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin....2;t=751

Looking forward to the write-up.

Wladeslaw II reigned for 47 years (1101-1148) in Greater Poland. During this time, he operated on a shoestring budget, carefully improving his base economies (farming and trade) and security (border forts, churches, urban militias). Rather than amassing a large military force, Wlad2 worked his alliances to prevent incursions into his nation, keeping the HRE, Byzantines, Novgorads, and Hungarians close-at-hand, and spurning alliance offers from the French and Turks, who warred on his neighbors.

By the mid-1130's, Poland had saved up enough cash to think about expanding. Kiev, as predicted, had fallen to our allies, the Byzantines; so Wlad2 looked North instead. A bribery mission in 1135 to Livonia failed, so having quietly assembled a sufficient force in Lithuania, the good King sent his trusted brother Casimr to lead an expedition of liberation there.

Meanwhile, Wlad2 developed ports and shipyards in Lithuania & Pomerania, to eventually take advantage of trade opportunities with his Danish, English, German & Spanish allies.

All of these efforts were just beginning to bear fruit when the long-lived King succumbed to illness in 1148, at age 74.

Wladeslaw II's reign was characterized by a slow, steady build-up of resources, to enable his successors to fight the eventual, inevitable wars that would likely follow his time on the throne. His 6 heirs were all 4- and 5-star commanders, spread throughout the realm. His ships and influence reached as far west as Leon, unopposed by any other naval force. History will designate him Poland's Great Builder.

p.s. No prob, LeeJackson, just email the pics to me; I'll upload them & shoot you a URL for use here.

Ok campaign has been e-mailed to Cazbol today.
    My write up will be soemtime this evening.

Throwing stones from afar Member Cazbol's Avatar

Angry

I was supposed to get my computer today after a minor repair, but the idiots at the shop cheated me, so I spent an hour getting there for nothing. I can't even be sure that I'll get it tomorrow.

I therefore have to ask LeeJackson to send the file to the next in line, and ask that I be put at the end of the line instead. Should I come to power in the period April 12 to 26 then I also have to pass, because I'll be on holiday in London.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience but I wasn't expecting needing this repair, wasn't counting on the arseholes at the shop not keeping their word, and I certainly wasn't expecting my reign to fall between April 12 and 26. Let's just consider me a reserve player until April 27.

Cazbol

Sorry to hear about your computer woes, Cazbol. LeeJackson, I think I am next in line - please can you send the game to me? simon.appleton@nottingham.ac.uk
    Thanks

yeah sorry to hear about your comp Cazbol.:(

Simon I will get it out to you asap. Most likely be a few hours. I got work to do.

I am having trouble with my TGA's they all come in the viewer as the same picutre. Not sure where the problem is. If I can't get it sorted out by tonight I'll post my update with out pics.

It's out to you simon GL

Cool

1149 I, King Boleslaw the third, have come to power in the middle of my years. I am worried that I will not be able to complete the task my father left before me. He worked tirelessly to build a strong economic base for our kingdom. He built farms, trade ships, and trade houses, but on his deathbed he told me “It is now time for you to build an army and an empire”

*King Boleslaw has the V&V Killer Instinct and Secret adultery*

*Here is the overview of the beginning of Boleslaw's reign.*

I am worried about fulfilling my fathers dreams. We have strong neighbors whose forces far out number our own. We are beset on all sides with possible enemies whose greedy eyes could fall upon our beloved land. Worse yet because I have been off on the front I have yet to marry and I have developed a… taste for unreputable women.

Even if I build an empire I may have no one to pass it on too. No one legitimate that is. May this not be the end our line

Our God please grant me the strength to forage my fathers vision into reality and spread your glory across the world

1150 I have chosen a lady of the Court that I find pleasing to be my wife. I hope she never learns of my other “attendants”.

1151 I have been blessed with a son, God truly has bestowed his favor on my kingdom.
    Damn my misfortune A passing HRE crusade has caused Persia to rise up in rebellion. Though I had not yet claimed this province I was hoping to make it my first conquest. However the rebels are to well organized and armed for an action at this time.

1154 I have made my first conquest in Sweden. The locals fled in steed of fighting my forces.

1155 A Blessing from the Holy Father. My Brother Prince Kazimiez comes of age unharmed I now have faith that I shall not be the last King of Poland.

1159-1160 Massive wars have broken out across the continent. I have had to choose my allies carefully. I have been fortunate enough to keep my allegiances with both the HRE and Bizyantium. Hopefully I can continue to build my military fortifications with out them growing leery.

1161 After massing significant military might on the eastern front I invade Novgorod. God was with us as we crushed the northern barbarians. I feared that this attack may cause troubles with some of my allies, but to my pleasant surprise the Pope Spanish English and HRE all chose to stand with me instead of with the Cossack mongrels.

1167 Married an English princess to my Brother. Now he shall be ready to rule when I pass on. Hopefully this marriage will help to keep the blood in our line fresh.
    I made an allegiance with the Sicilians and Invaded Smolensk. The Novgorod’s army keeps being crushed by the training and will of my men.

1168 My son comes of age. Now With two heirs no random act of evil can cut down our kingdom.

1169 I married another English princess to my first born son. I have forged an alliance that I hope will last many years. I hear of an invention called the compass rose and its promise to change shipping. I continue my eastern campaign and sack Chernigov.

1173 After continued economic and military building I decide to attack Denmark and the Danes. The Danes had recently invaded the HRE. I hoped that my attack would not only help me solidify the Scandinavian lands under Polish rule, but would also grant us favor with the HRE. The Pope did not look kindly on my actions and broke our alliance. He also threatened me with Excommunication, but with Denmark firmly under Polish rule I knew this would not happen. The Spanish and English saw it fit to stand with us against the Danes.

1176 I sent my two daughters off to marry the HRE’s and Bizantium’s Emperors. I hope the strengthening of our alliance will allow me to focus on solidifying our position in the East and Scandinavia with out fear of invasion.

1177 With the increased income from the spoils of war and increased economic infrastructure I have decided to commence building of a castle in Lithuania.

1178 Unfortunately my proposals of Marriage are respectfully declined. Perhaps they recognize my growing hunger.

1180 My armies have invaded Norway. Though the pagan Vikings put a tremendous fight my forces were victorious. The HRE defeated and killed the Danish king. The Danes no longer stain Europe.

1181 I have commenced building of another castle in Poland. I hope this fortification will strengthen the heart of my empire.

1182 I am in the twilight of my years and the past few months I have been stricken with several illnesses. Believing I shall not last the week I summoned for my brother and spoke with him. I commanded him to rise an empire worthy of his God and his ancestors. An Empire that will shake the very foundations of Europe

*The state of the Polish Empire during 1182 *
    * King Boleslaw died with 6 influence 2 Piety 5 Dread and 2 Acumen. He had the V&V Killer Instinct and Secret Adultery magnificent Builder and Steward*

Great work, Lee Jackson. I got the save file and loaded it up. You and your predecessors have built up the Polish Kingdom far more than I would have expected (or have achieved myself in the past&#33. I'll play tonight and over the weekend; hope to pass it on around Sunday if not sooner.

Excellent account LeeJackson, and fine achievement Your Daddy is pleased
    What a bold set of moves: both east- and west-ward. Did you have time to expand the navy at all?

Hey guys thanks
    I always like grabbing the Scandinavian Peninsula (I think I am calling it the right thing). It’s so easy to defend and once developed produces a pretty decent income. When Playing the English it’s always one of my first grabs.
    I did build 4 boats, and one boat was sunk in a storm. I extended the trade route around Spain by 1. I left the other 2 boats around the North Sea to fill in any gaps caused by storms. I also suppose that those ships could be used to grab Ireland…

OK, it's 1201 and I'm dead. I'll write up an account tomorrow but get the save game off now to the next person. Other folks may have to wait a while, as my successor, King Lesek, is a callow youth of only 17 years of age and I fear may have to deal with the Mongols during his reign.

LeeJackson, sorry I missed the opportunity regarding Ireland - I was just gathering a force with a prince to go take it when I died A job for my successor, I guess.

Bored Avid Gamer Member Alrowan's Avatar
    Sydney, Australia... that place down under...

ahh. cant wait till my realm... ill just conquer
    Llew Cadeyrn/Alrowan - Chieftain of Clan Raven

My email is Survivor2k4@aol.com.
    Doge Enrico II, Ruler of the United Italia

The current list is:

Striker: jmoler@cinci.rr.com (Current King of Poland)
    Doge Enrico II: Survivor2k4@aol.com
    Chilling: chilling@blueyonder.co.uk
    Alrowan: the_smphill@hotmail.com
    Herodotus: Xoxic@Yahoo.com.au
    Div Hunter: wireworks@bigpond.com
    Hop Along Bunny: lomowjg@telus.net
    Marco: marco_of_napoli@hotmail.com

How do you take screenshots?

Hit f2

And Simon don't worry about Ireland. I like gallowglasses but it proabably would have been a bad move as it would have stranded an army for at least 8 turns.

Hello,

Just wanted to let everyone know that I've received the save file. I don't know if I'll have the time to play much today, but I'll try to write out an account. Looks like I (hopefully) have a long reign ahead of me.

I pray my physician is a better healer than he is a liar. I know I am dying and now I must account for my years before the fast approaching darkness.

1182: I inherited a land of power and potential. No longer meek and subservient to the power of its larger neighbours, Byzantium and the HRE, the Kingdom of Poland spanned twelve provinces and need bow to no one. My duty was clear: to further expand the kingdom, but where to strike first? The most tempting direction was west. Hungary was locked in a fierce contest with the HRE, leaving its border provinces weakly defended. With our own kingdom only having begun the construction of castles, I viewed those in Bohemia, Hungary and Moldavia with a jealous eye. But my reach did not match my greed. I lacked a siege train and the prospect a long war was one that the Pope was unlikely to countenance. So with a reluctant heart, I turned east instead, to the empty steppes and the still unfinished war with Novogorod. Determined not to let my rule be remembered as one of conquest only, I dedicated three provinces throughout my reign to the production of a vast trade fleet. Our treasury was modest, at 8000 florins, and must be augmented. By the end of my rule, that sum had risen fivefold; an achievement perhaps no less important than our land's territorial expansion.

1183: And so it began. I marched into Khazar, severing the Kingdom of Novogorod so its remaining provinces of Pereyaslavl and Ryzan stood isolated from each other. The invasion was unopposed, the enemy retreating in haste. But who should ride out to greet me but a messenger from the Kingdom of Italy He invited me to dine with the King of the Italians himself, who for some unfathomable reason had taken up residence in Volga-Bulgaria. I politely declined, but decided that it would not be long before I took up the invitation.

1184: I invaded Pereyaslavl, from where the enemy could not retreat. I had heard much of the power of the Boyars, the backbone of the army of Novogorod, and now I had to face 200 of them without heavy cavalry of my own. Never again would I fear them. Despite their heavy mail and reputation, they were mere horse archers - easy prey for my foot archers and for my favoured troops, mounted crossbowmen. 156 Russians died, including their King, and the same amount were captured, for the loss of 80 Polish souls.

1185: Impatient for victory, we stormed Pereyaslavl castle. The Egyptians offered us a chance to end our alliance with Byzantium, which I took, remembering my predecessors' ambitions towards Kiev. The Rebel provinces of Finland and Prussia rose up in a nationalist revolt in support of our other main allied neighbour, the HRE. This was intolerable, but I had to bide my time.

1186: We entered Ryzan for the final battle with Novogorod, one that followed much the same pattern as the battle of Pereyaslavl. As if in reward for my extinction of the Orthodox faction, the Pope offered me an alliance, which I eagerly accepted.

1187: We attacked the rebel province of Muscovy. It seemed that we were embarked upon a Ghazi-style of warfare, a religious war funded loot from conquered lands. A vicious battle ensued, pitching 893 of our troops against 750 rebels. We killed 481, took 160 and lost 199. But in truth, this was not a holy war and I released all the captured rebels. As if in return for this mercy, we learnt that Poland was now the richest kingdom in Europe.

1188: Volga-Bulgaria: another bloody contest, as I belatedly took up the Italian King's invitation. A Polish army of 885 bested an Italian force of 477. We lost 181 men, the Italians 304 dead and 119 captured including their King. Again, I spared the lives of the captives, being rewarded with a king's ransom of 10720 florins This is no reward from heaven, however, as my ally the Pope sternly admonished me to end this conflict with my Catholic brethren. Back home, I was hailed as a Great Builder.

1189: Heeding the Pope's warning, we stormed Volga-Bulgaria castle, ending our war with the Italians.

1190: A brief interlude of peace as I made haste towards Kiev. This Roman province stood like a dagger to the heart of our Kingdom. Moreover, Kiev houses a magnificent castle, still without peer in our own backward Kingdom, and acts as a defensive gateway to the East, from which dark rumours of a gathering Asiatic threat have emerged.

1191: We invade Kiev. The Byzantines do not contest the province, but retreat to the mighty castle inside. Our aggression costs us our Scilian allies, but these are replaced with the offer of alliance from England. Back home, I am now known as a Magnificent Builder and a Steward, developing my new lands in the East to be the breadbasket for my Kingdom.

1192: The army moves on to the Byzantine province of Crimea, surprised to find itself faced by a river obstacle forded by two bridges. The defending Byzantine force of only 65 men is too small to defend both bridges but die extracting a price of 46 Polish lives. Kiev remains under siege. Lulled into a false sense of security by the absence of a land border with Byzantium, I did not storm the castle since I still lacked a siege train. I recruited two mercenary catapults from Muscovy to end the siege, but it would be some years before they arrived in Kiev. Elsewhere in the world, the Almohad faction was eliminated and the HRE excommunicated during one of their never-ending wars.

1193: My siege trains continued to head to Kiev, as the French offered me an alliance. Seizing a chance to break my alliance with the outcast HRE, I accepted. Reports emerge of the Spanish, vanquishers of the Almohads, as the mightiest faction in Europe.

1194: My year of fire. Ever since the nationalist uprisings in Prussia and Finland, war with the HRE was inevitable. Conquering these provinces would complete my work to demilitarise my eastern border and free our forces to turn west. The presence of German fleets astride our trade networks in the English Channel and North Sea was an additional irritant. Now, with the excommunication of the foolish Holy Roman Emperor, I was free to strike. It was to be war a l'outrance. My navies would strike the German fleets at the same time my greatest generals invaded Prussia and Finland. Simultaneously, the garrisons of Denmark and Silesia would sally into Saxony and Brandenberg. If this combined offensive succeeded, we would no longer share a border with the HRE and the war would be over. I myself remained besieging Kiev, noting with some alarm the appearance of a Byzantine fleet in the Black Sea. I prayed the Hungarians and Egyptians (ensconced in Moldavia) would not take advantage of the ghost garrisons left on police duties in Poland and Silesia.

Everywhere our forces were victorious against the Germans. Our navies eliminated German seapower. In Finland, an army of 853 defeated a German force of 2377, for the loss of only 119 men. In Prussia, 1400 Polish wars defeated 2900 Germans for the loss of 180 men. In truth, these easy victories reflected the low quality of the German forces. In Brandenburg, a higher quality German army of 270 succumbed to 544 Poles, but killed 74. In the bridge crossing at Saxony, we lost 93 men to the Germans' 139.

But these triumphs were overshadowed by events in Kiev. The newly arrived Byzantine fleet ferried an army of 624 men to assault my army of 569 defenders. Although my command skills are good, I was frankly outclassed by those of the Byzantine general, Romanus Commanus, a legendary general despite his reputation as a sybarite. A shock force of Varangian Guard stormed across the bridge my army was well positioned to defend. Despite losing more than half its number to Polish massed archery, the English axemen cleaved a path through my feudal sergeants guarding the bridge exit. The Guard were reinforced by more Varangians, Byzantine infantry, Feudal sergeants, spearmen, Trebizond archers, Progonai Allonai and kataphracts. In desperation, I led my personal escort into the melee but it was to no avail. Most of my army - including all my bodyguard of Royal Knights - died valiantly at the hands of the Byzantines, but a significant proportion fled. When only my mercenary catapults remained at their posts, I realised I too had to withdraw or die at the riverside. I spurred my horse and headed for the road to Lithuania, alone and pursued by Byzantine horse archers. Although my courage wavered, my nerve held and consequently my reputation for valour was not besmirched. On arriving in Lithuania, my spirits were only slightly raised by the offer of alliance from my past foes, the Italians.

1195: the battle of Kiev had greatly depleted the strength of the victorious Byzantine forces, so I quickly mustered a stratch force from the garrisons of neighbouring provinces to try to retake the crucial location. Three units of mercenaries recruited from Chernigov stiffened what second-grade forces I could gather. The battle took place over two bridges, so I divided my force into half. Steppe cavalry were sent to rush the bridge furthest from the main Byzantine force, while my feudal spearmen crossed the nearest bridge defended by the dreaded Varangians. Once again, the Varangians smashed successive Polish units and indeed succeeded in driving them back across the near bridge to my side of the river. In desperation, I once again led my personal escort - now numbering only 5 knights - in a charge against them. Fortunately, the assault on the far bridge was going better; it had succeeded in drawing most of the Byzantine army away from the Varangians, with some being led a merry dance by the steppe cavalry. These fast horsemen raced to the other side of the near bridge, routing the Byzantine catapults and even menacing the Varangians before returning to assist the Poles locked in combat with the main Byzantine army now relocated at the far bridge. Unsupported, the Varangians fell to the lances of my depleted escort and I rallied what men I could to take the near bridge. At the far bridge, the sybarite Romanus Commenus fought bravely for what seemed like hours until ultimately falling at the hands of Polish woodsmen and mercenary feudal men-at-arms. Deprived of their great leader and their Varangian Guard, the remaining Byzantine units were soon defeated, pursued by the Steppe Cavalry and my Royal Knights. Our defeat in the previous year was avenged and the power of the Byzantines around the Black Sea hopefully eliminated.
    Far to the west, Polish forces stormed Brandenburg Castle, while the Danish faction re-emerged in Friesland.

1196: Now equipped with a siege train and mindful not to repeat earlier mistakes, I stormed Kiev castle. As the Byzantine fleet had left the Black Sea, our war with them was over.

1197: Our forces stormed the castle in Saxony, ending our war with the HRE. World news was not so favourable: the Egyptians are now the most technologically advanced.

1198: Peace at last. My urge for conquest lingers, drawing me to choose between attacking Hungary or Egypt. Undecided, I reject an offer of alliance from the Hungarians. My reputation is now as a Great Steward, as the fruits of developing the lands of my eastern conquests are enjoyed across the kingdom.

1199. I decide I have fought my last battle. I am old and do not wish to bequeath my son an unfinished war. Rumours of an Asiatic horde moving far to the East vex me; my son may choose to consolidate to meet the threat, rather than commit to further expansion. Nonetheless, I reject alliance offers from the Egyptians and the English, leaving my son free to act as he chooses.

1200: I turn down alliance offers from Turkey and Spain. Our country thrives thanks to trade routes that now reach the Holy Land. But my own health is fading. My son, Prince Lesek, is only seventeen but already matches my near-nemesis, the late Romanus Commanus, in ability to wage war. The land I leave my son has fulfilled much of the potential apparent to me eighteen years ago. It now passes into more vigorous, capable hands.

State of the Polish Empire, 1201:

Great write-up Simon Appleton. I felt as if I were right there behind your keyboard.

And I'm very pleased your were able to establish that essential Lithuania-Kiev link. If maintained, our successors should be able to pick off provinces one-by-one, as they fall to rebels.

Looks like your son will get to meet the Khan. I wonder how it goes so far.

Again: if anyone needs web-space for screenshots, I have some available. jim@jimcee.com

Striker, it would be good to have a mid-reign account or at least at out of character update on your progress. I know you have a long reign, but when I passed on a reign in the King of England thread, the momentum just seemed to fade and so I want to be a bit more proactive this time.

It'd be nice if I could be king, no matter how remote the chances of it passing to me is. It would be better if I could get it on a weekend, as I might be able to finish my reign in one day. My e-mail is lonewolf371@hotmail.com

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast