Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: King of Poland

Keep it moving Alrowan, Xoxic@Yahoo.com.au. Good write up by the way.

Bored Avid Gamer Member Alrowan's Avatar
    Sydney, Australia... that place down under...

sent both files to respective people
    Llew Cadeyrn/Alrowan - Chieftain of Clan Raven

Senior Member Senior Member Demon of Light's Avatar
    San Diego, California, United States of America, North America, Western Hemisphere, Terra, Sol Planetary System, Milky Way Galaxy

Alrowan: What year did your reign end and how old is the new King?
    The surest way to lose the respect of one's peers is to take a stand on principle...alone.

Alrowans map

My reign has started, it may take me a while to complete because I am now back at Uni after a short break. Spain is resurgent, the rebels have been bribed or slaughtered and the Pope is a sharp thorn in the side of Poland and Spain as we are both excommunicated. I ponder whether i should kill the Pope, or continue to watch Spain suffer from excommunication.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

voice from the grave (Wladyslaw II): Kill him great-great-great grandson I have watched the Papacy, Lo these decades, turn from matters of faith to matters of land, lucre, and licentiousness. Send the apostate to his grave, where I and your other ancestors will deal with him.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

I'm not going to divulge any more information on my reign until it is complete but I want to comment on something i have noticed in my current game and when i continued the English Kings of England game on my own. It seems that the dynamics of the vices and virtues have changed, in most of my games my governors stay quite free from corruption, and i only have to replace a few of them for this reason. In my reign as King of Poland I have twice had to disband large numbers of Governors for a variety of corrupt activities. I think it actualy makes it more interesting this way as I am usually completely free of internal troubles, has any one else noticed any changes? Or any idea why this might happen?

Well the King is dead at age 56. It was quite a long and eventful reign so the write up will take a little while. Can someone host my pics?

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

free hosting here
    jim@jimcee.com
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

I came to the throne as a virtual unknown. My grasp of mathematics was slim and I was not one to indulge in extremes of good or evil.

My father left me with the Empire in a chaotic state, and although the treasury was in excess of 200,000 florins there was an annual debt of several thousand florins. Although no accountant myself I was happy to have reversed this by the end of my reign (20,000 florins p.a). I attribute this to my vigorous and continual efforts to wipe out corruption in my governors and my magnificent construction program throughout the empire (particularly buildings that increase happiness).

I instantly continued my fathers war against the Spanish (for which I remained excommunicated & conincedently this is the same situation i leave my son in). The Germans (in France) and a lack of modern forces stood in the way of outright expansion into France and Spain. In the Balkans however the Spanish were trapped (and outnumbered) between us and the Egyptians, so that front was pushed on quickly.

The chaos of the Empire was of untold proportions, governors were corrupt, armies were outdated and spread accross the map, what new recruits there were, sat in castles far away. Also several provinces had rebeled under my fathers reign and they had to be brought to heal quickly so that the notion that rebellion could succeed would not spread. I bribed any of these armies that i could as i did not see the point of diverting the few 'modern' forces that i possessed from pushing into Asia Minor.

It was not long before my many successful campaigns and shrewd polotics had given me unequalled influence, taking the place of the Spanish monarch as the true ruler of Europe. I assassinated the Pope and was recommunicated to the Church, It was not long however that fresh troops made further conquest too tempting, and I decided to push quickly into the Spainish and kill the new Pope if he excommunicated me. 4 massive armies were assembled (with replensihed command units), the first pushing tentatively through France towards Britain (the Spainish bribed 3 massive Scottish rebellions making further build up neccessary on my part), the second army was also moving slowly through France towards Spain, (waiting for the large amounts of peasants and militia that would occupy the newly conquered lands). The third and fourth armies were pushing quickly towards Syria from Constantinople and Khazar along with bishops to convert the locals.

I was excommunicated again for my actions and the new Pope was found to be very resilient to my attempts to assassinate him (+5 Valour to Assassins in the end). Assassins would obviously never succeed on this man.

I set up a comprehensive network of spies to help keep order in my large realm.

I decided to be rid of the Pope, if he would not die by my assassins dagger he would die by the swords of my men. I assembled an army in Italy in just a few short years, the battle was a grand display of Polish superiority, the Popes meagre following of peasants and militia and his pitiful compliment of Knights to protect his person were completely out numbered and outclassed by ranks of chivalraic men at arms, arbalesters, Genoese archers and Royal Knights. The Popes inexperience in battle was obvious and it was not long before I withdrew my missile units so as to lessen the slaughter, they were after all only peasants and as such deserved some mercy.

This to my surprise was not the last Pope to hound me, a few years later the new Pope had the audacity to excommunicate me. I dispatched assassins to get rid of him, but to my displeasure found them unsuccessful. Again I would have to be rid of him on the field of battle. Again an army was assembled in Italy, the Pope was now in Sardinia, so the island was invaded. This was a hard fought battle as the Pope had quality, quantity and a good position. 3 times i leapt to my feat in fear for my army that day but three times my men pushed onward through staggerning casualties to victory. The valour of my men in the face of such horrific losses made such an impression on me that day that I silently vowed to increase my efforts to an absolute 100 percent. Every man had done his best, and the least they desrved was the same effort from their ruler.

My son Prince Mieszko was the commander of the battle and with him I was most pleased, he had proven himself a brave man by putting himself at the greatest point of risk in the battle. If that point had faltered the battle would have been a route.

I died at the age of 56 the borders of my Empire spanning across all the map but North Africa, Ireland and the Mediterannean Islands. To my son I leave my last will and testament. (coming very soon, and I'll send the file along then also)

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]My father left me with the Empire in a chaotic state, and although the treasury was in excess of 200,000 florins there was an annual debt of several thousand florins.
    Just a note: the last king may have died with a postive income. When a king dies and his heir takes over usually the yearly incoem of the empire is negtive for a few years. This is because uasually the new king hasn't accumlated any virtues that give a bounes to income or acumen yet.
    All you can do is pray for a quick death... which you ain't gonna get -Mr. Blonde

San Diego, California, United States of America, North America, Western Hemisphere, Terra, Sol Planetary System, Milky Way Galaxy

True enough but I like the description. Almost sounds like the son blames the father for some of the problems he has in his kingdom now. How is he supposed to know that it was only his father's attentive care to agriculture that helped balance the books?
    The surest way to lose the respect of one's peers is to take a stand on principle...alone.

Quote[/b] (Demon of Light @ May 05 2003,12:55)]
    He should know by checking the acumen

Can we have names and dates for reigns? (King XXXX ruled between 13xx and 13xx)

I reigned from 1312 to 1349 (died age 56).

Last will and Testament of King Konrad

My first son Mieszko is heir to the throne, I am saddened that he can not be with me personally in my final days but such is life.

To my other sons I ask you to support your brother and to not look upon him with green eyes. Do not split the empire with your petty rivalries, rather combine your efforts to conquer the rest of the known world and all of you will be recorded in history for your great achievments.

To my son Mieszko, some advice; you are destined to be the King who finishes what was started so many years ago, however be wary of rebellion in these final years, lower taxes everywhere and continue to build spys and watchtowers. Be quick to build many farms and buildings to gain inscrutible loyalty from your generals and governors. GOVERNORS I Almost Forgot Be watchful of the sly devils, if you let them they will be in your own pocket before you know it

Also Mieszko, with your new found power comes great responsibility. You must remember to treat your brothers with respect, ignore your urges to tease them as you did through adolesance, they have suffered for long enough with the knowledge that they will never be King. Instead take up the stance of truely great monarchs, that of absolute commitment to the cause of their faction and absolute devotion to the happiness and safety of their subjects.

Lastly Miesko, I know how you are the one other person in this world who loves my great steed as I do. Therefore I leave Popeater to you.

To my daughters and wife I fare thee well and leave you in the care of Mieszko. You shall have everything you need as always. Be supportive of the boys and keep them together.

Do not cry for me, I go now to join the ghosts of our forefathers, as you all shall soon enough.

PUBLIC NOTICE:
    THE KING IS DEAD LONG LIVE THE KING

File sent. Its now a MB

Looks like Konrad took Wladyslaw's advice. Even named his horse Pope Eater.

File recieved, I'll hopefully get onto it tonught and should have the ramaining peices of the world conqured by Friday LONG LIVE THE KING
    Proud member of the Ravens

I have an X-Box, it's where I keep all my x-girlfriends

bump

bump and waiting for Div Hunter

I propose sending the game to HopAlongBunny if Div Hunter remains absent beyond tomorrow

Ok, it is now tomorrow...

Anyone still care here or is this going to end up like King of England?

Quote[/b] (Demon of Light @ May 14 2003,11:58)]Anyone still care here or is this going to end up like King of England?
    I hope not, this is a very cool thing. I've seen similar things done with Civ3, but its much better when you really do have the dynastic mechanics supported in the game.

It might be, tho, that a full-blown conquest game takes too long. There is a point at which crushing *every last province* seems too much like work to me. Then again, there is no reason we could not establish a points schedule and make it a sorta league thing, write our own points system. Stuff like that.
    "We are not the Duke of Sung." - Mao Zedong

I think part of the problem is that VI is out as well, so a lot of people are playing that right now. Also those who have VI can't play this dynasty cos its a non-VI save game so....

Then of course you can have what happened to my Mercian dynasty when the 2nd king got himself wiped out....

I do think that the VI campaign lends itself more to this style of dynastic gameplay tho.

I shall be up for the next VI compatable campaign that comes along tho.
    "I request permanent reassignment to the Gallic frontier. Nay, I demand reassignment. Perhaps it is improper to say so, but I refuse to fight against the Greeks or Macedonians any more. Give my command to another, for I cannot, I will not, lead an army into battle against a civilized nation so long as the Gauls survive. I am not the young man I once was, but I swear before Jupiter Optimus Maximus that I shall see a world without Gauls before I take my final breath."

Senator Augustus Verginius

Throwing stones from afar Member Cazbol's Avatar

What's the hold-up? Who has the file and isn't letting the game progress? Wasn't there supposed to be someone administering the campaign? It seems like only a question of quickly disposing of the muslims and then the campaign is won.

I'm available for a swift and serious reign if needed.

Quote[/b] ]
    I propose sending the game to HopAlongBunny if Div Hunter remains absent beyond tomorrow
    That was a week ago. I, too, am willing to bow my neck to the yoke of Duty, if called upon.

But sod it, if its dead its dead. I've not fired up Vikings yet, and thats where a lot of the buzz is, anyone fancy Vikings vs. All Comers on this basis to see if we can get the ball rolling again?

Have not received anything from Div Hunter.

I can pick up from where we left off if someone has a save. Not likely to pick up VI any time soon (if at all) so that won't get in the way. I am coming up to a final in the near future, so if I'm going to get the game-sooner is better
    Ja-mata TosaInu

bump and paging Herodotus

Herodotus' e-mail is Xoxic@Yahoo.com.au

As for whether or not someone was supposed to be administrating the game, the answer is that there was. Unfortunately, nobody ever volunteered for the task. At least I don't recall anyone definatively stepping up to the plate. In any event, there is a definate vacuum in effect now so if anyone wants to bear responsibility for finishing this up, have fun.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast