Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dark Ages 8th century

Hey Kat very interested in this mod...please somene let me know all the files I need to install this mod. As I understand it, it comes in 2 parts but the link from first post does not work. And now there is update 1.3. So what exactly do I need and in what order and where can I get them?

MTR: AOA project ###### (temp) Member kataphraktoi's Avatar

http://www.geocities.com/weirdguynex...DarkAge1.3.zip

Here u go mate.

Thats not the complete mod, however, the info_pics are still to be completed, for now, the info_pics in 1.3 are just replicates of others. SicilianVespers is doing a great service in converting them. So far, I've got 3-4 custom bifs in my possession.

To Markley and Sic Vespers, u guys still interested in a PBM??? I know u guys are busy, but I don't mind if the PBM takes yonks. Since I have a job to contend to I could do with a stint in a campaign in between.
    Retired from games altogether!!

Feudalism TOtal War, non-active member and supporter. Long Live Orthodox Christianity!

meep.

Feudalism TOtal War, non-active member and supporter. Long Live Orthodox Christianity!

How do PBEM games work? are you all on the same side or is it multi-player?

Kat, did the Sassanids use Kataphraktoi in 570's - 630's? The Nobles must have still been bow armed Kats at that time?

PBM - Play by mail is where several players play a campaign based on succession.

Lets say I start off the campaign, I play till my sovereign dies, then I pass it off to you. When your sovereign dies, you pass it off to someone else to continue. We choose one faction and stick with it, but we also have to have the same version of Dark Age Mod. Which is 1.3. Although there are some allowances for differences which can harmonised with other versions.

Differences that can be allowed without screwing up:
    Names txt.
    Description txt.

Do not dos:
    crus prod 11
    crus prod 13
    proj stat file
    no new units
    buildings, agents,etc, etc

At the end of each reign, the player who played that reign must do a write about that reign.

Yep, the sassanids did use bow armed Kats in that period, if not earlier. Ive got some impressive illustrations of Sass. Kats in awesome detail. I've also seen soome photos of Sass. rock carvings in Iran, very impressive too.

I decided to do two different campaigns, one covering Belisarius to Maurice and Heraclius, and the other starting with Constans II as the Roman Emperor (so Syracuse in Sicily can be the capital of the East Roman Empire).

I am just fleshing out the Sassanid Persians right now, What do you think about using the Khwarazmanian (sp?) Cavalry as Persian Clibanarii or Persian Nobles?

Historically the Khwarazem Cavalry shouldn't show up until the 1200's anyway.

The Zoroastrian religion is a nother problem, can a faction be heretic?

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (kataphraktoi @ Dec. 14 2003,23:38)]To Markley and Sic Vespers, u guys still interested in a PBM??? I know u guys are busy, but I don't mind if the PBM takes yonks. Since I have a job to contend to I could do with a stint in a campaign in between.
    Sounds intriguing, but this is the worst time of the year for me at work: that being calendar year-end and the U.S.A. Payroll year end, as well as our church league basketball season is about to begin (I'm an assistant coach), as well as getting ready for the big holiday, as well as being involved in two D & D campaigns and running a third.

Plus, I'd have to take out some mods of my own.

Does your game give a weird message when you click on the Hagia Sophia, saying it has no generic description?

Maybe after the holidays and the basketball season is over?
    Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin

Question

After you download dark ages 1.3 then what do you do?

After you download it, you have to unzip the entire zip file using the folder names, and then copy and paste the unzipped files into their corresponding named folders wherever the original Total War was kept.

I think the detailed instrux are on either page one or page two of this discussion thread.
    Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin

Khwarizim would be a perfect fit for Sass. Kats. plus by tweaking action pages txt for the Khwar u can add a bow.

My empire encompasses all the former territories of the old ROman empire except for Britannia and Helvetia. My dilemma is loss of revenue by attacking Britannia.

Internally, my army is being reformed and agents/emissaries distributed in the empire to keep things in control.

the year is around 1080. Its taken at best around 300 years of bloody fighting to get to the beaches of Flanders.

The Roman army is introducing inferior troops as an economic measure and keeping elite army units in small sizes around strategic areas.

I once had a Heraclid custom campaign once.

But it was set in 633, the year the Arabs captured Damascus.

If I was to go back and do it I'd probably introduce the Sassanid Persians like u did for ur Heraclid conversion.

I even thought of going as far back as the 4th century to make a mod where Constantine the Great starts off in Britain with but its not fun without Sassies.

Kat,

Does your game give a weird message when you click on the Hagia Sophia, saying it has no generic description?

ChARLES,

hmmm I'm gonna have to check that out.

Its probably something to do with the prod 13 txt file.

It looks like I am going to have to start all over

My hardrive crashed, and I lost EVERYTHING

I spent the whole night reinstalling, I just need to download the mods I was using again.

Kat, Have you tried the Fall of Rome mod? they did a great job with the Roman units, but the other factions needed some historical tuning.

I had just finished my mod of the mod, and I was just going to start adding the historic names, when it died.

Ouch, I feel your pain. All that work Yikes. I was looking forward to the chance of seeing your changes.

Can I Get all the links sent to my email

Kweebs7900@hotmail.com

id like this new dark age mod so if its possible can i get all the links updated etc...

[QUOTE]It looks like I am going to have to start all over

My hardrive crashed, and I lost EVERYTHING

I spent the whole night reinstalling, I just need to download the mods I was using again.

Kat, Have you tried the Fall of Rome mod? they did a great job with the Roman units, but the other factions needed some historical tuning.

I had just finished my mod of the mod, and I was just going to start adding the historic names, when it died.[QUOTE]

oh man, i feel for ya, I know what its like to lose all that hard work. I felt like smashing the laptop, but then if I did, i wouldn't be posting now would I?

The links are same as before, no changes have been. 1.3 is still the latest. If any probs d/l, i'll send in small bite-sized chunks to ya.

Have u heard of recovery disks?, the program is so small it fits on a 1.44 mb floppy, it compresses everything on ur hard drive to a meager 4 mb and over size and fits in ur system where crashes don't effect it.

No I have considered fall of Rome simply because I would find it hard to play with the lack of Sassanids in it

The Heraclid mod is the earliest I've push the clock back.

My new proposal for a Heraclid mod is when the Sassanids under Khusrau occupy the eastern provinces of the Roman empire with an outpost in Nicaea province preparing to go across the Hellespont and capture Constantinople.

The Romans are beleagured with a small chunk of Anatolia, Thracian hinterland(capital) a few islands and outposts in Africa.

I don't why, but I like to start off with the Romans suffering.

But then again, I think I'll wait till RTW comes out, from a Gamespot Faq, we apparently could add new provinces.
    Shazaaaaaaaaaaaam.

Storm of Shields, the only link you'll need is
    http://www.geocities.com/weirdguynex...DarkAge1.3.zip

Charles,

I looked thru the prod 13 file, its nothing to do with that file. i suspect it has something to with either the desc. or names files. I remembered the lack of generic description in the Hagia when dealing with those files. I just have rack thru my head for it.

www.thepassionofchrist.com

I was going to start backing up onto a couple of DVD-RW's, but will look into the recovery disks.

I changed the Turks into the Sassanids in the Fall of Rome mod.

The Bulgars into the Huns.

Removed the Slavs, People of Novgorod, Magyars, Khazars, and extended the Huns from the Danube to Khazar.

I like the Warbands unit concept, and made them buildable with a Fort only.

I am going to try to simulate the Volkerwanderung with Crusades, but I will have to hide the Pope somewhere...like you did with Darkages.

Good thing this was all fresh in my mind....

which territories do the Sass's get?

I may do a few Campaigns, but I am targeting around 420 right now. I will definitely have to do one with Attila, and one with Stilicho vs Alaric.

In original mod The Turks (renamed to Sassanids) have the following:

SetRegionOwner:: ID_ARMENIA FN_TURKISH
    SetRegionOwner:: ID_EDESSA FN_TURKISH
    SetRegionOwner:: ID_RUM FN_TURKISH
    SetRegionOwner:: ID_SYRIA FN_TURKISH
    SetRegionOwner:: ID_GEORGIA FN_TURKISH

I haven't touched the Sass yet, but I may have to make Georgia rebel.

It also looks like Sinai and Jerusalem need to be taken away from the Arabs, so they only have Arabia. They were still only tribal at this time.

I renamed a few units as well:

Legion => Legio Comitatenses
    Lanciarii Legion => Legio Palatina
    Milites Limitanei => Legio Limitanei
    Alan Cataphracts => Equites Cataphractarii

I am going to rename some Sass units as well...I need to see some Persian Aswaran cavalry, and Persian Diqhan Cavalry.

All the proper Roman provincial titles (in Latin) will be added soon.

One other thing, I removed the Early Royal Knights as the body guard unit. He has some excellent units with all new BIFs...like Lombard Gasindii Knights, Frankish Scola Cavalry, Gothic Heavy Cavalry....these types of units are now the bodyguard units.

The original mod has one big Germans faction, I am thinking of breaking this up into seperate small factions like the Burgundians, Alemanni, and either Saxons, Thuringii or Rugians. I will definitely need the Gepids after fall of Attilla.

One province each with lots of money and Warbands. I will have to leave some rebel provinces in Germania for them to fight over.

The real problem for Rome will be the Huns, and the Barbarians already inside the empire (ie. Ostrogoths, Visigoths, Vandals, and Suevi).

I also changed some faction colors, I made Rome the Polish color red, and changed the Huns to the Golden Horde color.

If u need some new units made or some Sassanian resources give us a buzz.

meep.

The Lordz Modding Collective Senior Member Lord Of Storms's Avatar

Exclamation

Now that JP's can also reply in the Dungeon's Alchemist Lab, I moving this Mod thread to the proper forum...LOS
    Taking life one day at a time!

Hi Kata, great mod you've made

I loved how you split the Byzantines into two factions, I felt they were both really balanced, and loved the new Byz units. I like how the game has a different feel to it, it just feels so dark for some reason

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123