Thread: I hate Gamespy

Senior Member Senior Member 1dread1lahll's Avatar

I hate gamespy

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

You mean Games******

Any kind of "flaming", slurs or insults adressed to an individual or a group is extremely inappropriate.

RTB

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

***spy

sigh...

the next member that takes the p*ss out of GameSpy will regret it.

you bastard

Standing up for the rights of gay spies everywhere.

Oh, good Lord in heavens… Once again unto the breach…

Respected Lord moderator Rob The Bastard

The word I used is by no means an offense that merciless edition of my post my now indicate, it is a common phrase we use in our computer magazine when we talk about the respected Gamespy group, and the last word itself can easily be used in any occasion and social gathering, since the word itself is not as half as branded as its English similar expression.

So, I figured that if we can use this term in our magazine and don't ever get any comments from anyone, including the respected gentlemen at the Gamespy, I figured it could be used here as well.

My mistake, for which I humbly apologize and cry your pardon.

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

vrijbuiter Senior Member Rob The Bastard's Avatar

Ok... I think I may have been overzealous when I edited voigtkampf's post. The translation of what he wrote might not have found favour with GameSpy... but it did not warrant my merciless editing and the unintentional inference that something terrible had been written.

voigtkampf... my apologies.

Rob.

Bring Back Buck

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I too hate gamespy. All members of the Org should mount up and prepare to storm their castle, eliminating their faction for good. After that, we shall seed their fields with salt and set fire to everything we can.

Finally, we shall stick their servers on pikes as a warning to those who would try to give us crappy connections.

Now we just need to find out where their province is...

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Talking

During part of the day it's very difficult to play mtw/vi on GameSpy. It works better during the hours that most people in Europe and the USA are sleeping or at work and school.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Maybe the blame lies with activision for not willing to hire more bandwidth from gamespy? I have no idea exactly how the deals have been made between gamespy, ca and activision....

Did someone run into similiar problems with other games played through gamespy?

Talking

Seems like mtw/vi (possibly inefficient network code) is playing a role here in that it is very sensitive to server lag. I don't understand this because mtw/vi only uses GameSpy as a matchmaking server. The game itself doesn't run on GameSpy. GameSpy is like a millstone put around every mtw/vi player's neck.

At 80 ms ping to GameSpy I get 4 out 5 4v4 battles to work, but at 250 ms ping with wide 100 to 600 ms fluctuations at best 1 out of 5 will work. Sometimes 0 out of 5 work. The game works with a 56k modem and those get around 500 ping, so I wouldn't think 250 ms to the server would be the killer it is unless that 250 ms is just a symptom of a much larger overload issue within GameSpy.

Now we see GameSpy advertising higher bandwidth servers for a subscription fee. Doesn't seem like the free servers will be improved in light of that. You could even speculate that the free servers will be intentionally neglected to "encourage" people to subscribe. Why would they offer higher bandwidth servers if it didn't make a difference in performance? GameSpy quote, "Low Pings: Games run on high-end machines with loads of premium bandwdith".

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

I haven't been able to play all bloody day today (I've never played MP)...is that at all normal? I'm 'logged on' but nothing's happening. It worked briefly early this morning but I didn't have time to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Rob The Bastard @ Jan. 07 2004,14:37)]Ok... I think I may have been overzealous when I edited voigtkampf's post. The translation of what he wrote might not have found favour with GameSpy... but it did not warrant my merciless editing and the unintentional inference that something terrible had been written.

voigtkampf... my apologies.

Rob.
    As I said in my PM, but missed to state it here, no harm done

Yeah what's the deal with this. I've played MP like twice before, and when i finally fixed up my Gamespy ID to try again today, now with patched VI, nothing seemed to work right. I tried Gamespy Arcade, but almost none of the servers were accessible for some reason, and I was referred to the in-game matching thingymabobber. I went there, and saw at most one or two games, whereas arcade had shown 30, I just couldn't join any of them. Is there some easy fix, or is the whole thing just shoddy?

geeze I remember when gamespy was called quakespy. Times sure have changed..
    Bitter, bitter it was,
    Yet somehow funny,
    Even as my father lay dying,
    I kept on farting.

- 16th century Japanese verse

-Proud member of the Ran no Jidai team-