Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Leo III the Syrian

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Leo III the Syrian

Another fine update.

Welcome back, again.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

MTR: AOA project ###### (temp) Member kataphraktoi's Avatar

Default Re: Leo III the Syrian

Life, Love and Happiness (710) Part 2
    The winter had passed and was in deep spring now. A new Exarch had been appointed and installed in Ravenna. The remaining troops had arrived back in the capital. As for Leo, the last few months was an opportunity to re-collect his fragmented and interrupted life. His involvement in the wars had prevented him from acquiring news of his village and family. His uncle had unfortunately died from the exertions of the war. But his village had been evacuated closer to the capital away from the marauding bands of Bulgars who continued to harass the Thracian frontier despite their defeat years ago in Mesembria. Today was the day he would visit the inhabitants of his village for the first time in a long time. And he would not be alone either. With him was Petrus, Narses and Calliopas, his childhood friends from the village.

In the two years since his Italian expedition, they had distinguished themselves as cavalrymen on the Thracian frontier repelling Bulgar raids. Now they were part of Leo’s immediate personal circle of retainers.

“We are near Leo” said Narses, the one who informed Leo about his uncle.
    Leo didn’t respond. Calliopas and Petrus noticed this too.
    Narses waved his hand across Leo’s face who immediately awoke from his distant gaze.
    “Huh?” spluttered Leo.
    “I said we are near Leo” repeated Narses.
    “Oh?” grinned a sheepish Leo.
    “Thinking about Kasia?” asked Petrus.
    Leo smiled.
    All three men let out an informed “Ahhh” from their mouths with their complicit knowledge.
    “I hear she is still…how should I put it…unbe….trothed…..” said Calliopas dragging the last word in teasing suspense.
    “After all this time? How? Knowing her mother, that would not be tolerated!” quipped Leo.
    “She refused to marry anyone…and yet, refused to identify who she wanted to…marry…” said Narses.
    “Come now, it couldn’t be me could it?” mocked Leo.
    “Who else? The one and only Leo…hero of the Empire!!” laughed Petrus.
    “Well, theres only one way to find out” smiled Leo.

Leo slipped into his pouch and brought a small little object out for all his companions to see. It was a gold ring.
    Retired from games altogether!!

Feudalism TOtal War, non-active member and supporter. Long Live Orthodox Christianity!

The Caucasian Expedition (AD 713) Part 1

"Most majestic Prince, our most Serene and Emperor of the Romans, we ask you to consider your position towards the infidels. Are we not on the same side? Are we not brothers. The Saracens are quiet along the frontier, they launch raids every Spring but is nothing of concern. This is the perfect time to tie the bonds of brotherhood, friendship and kinship together! Our most Serene majesty's ancestor, the Christ-loving Heraclius's uncle Vardan married your maternal grandmother, this means you are part of the Imperial family too! Extend the hand of friendship to us, and we pledge you our undying friendship forever!"

Leo stepped back as he finished his exhortation to Prince Gourgen of Abkhazia.

The Prince starred with a deep gaze as he cntemplated the proposition of the Syrian and closed his eyes in meditative thought. Silence enshrouded his small throne room as all eyes watched attentively awaiting the verdict of the Prince. The Prince ran his fingers on the tarnished gold of his seat occasionally encircling the sculpted seated lions at the end of his armrest. Breathing deeply once, then twice, he opened his eyes.

"You do not need to remind, Roman, of my ties with your Emperor. But tell me where were you Romans when the Saracens invaded and raided my country. My forefathers submitted because of the failure of the Romans to protect us. You now ask us to forge an alliance...or is it to submit to your sovereignty. What guarantees are there for us that you will protect us from the power of the Saracens? I have kept records of your recent wars, your empire is recovering but the strength of the Saracens has not diminished. My son, who is hostage in Damascus has told of the increasing strength of the Caliphate. Their recent losses are nothing and have been made good by the lure of Jihad and the Razzias they commit against your borderlands. Tell me. Who will save my son if I break my bonds of vassalage to the Caliph?"

Leo coughed to clear his throat. He stepped forward.

"Majestic Prince. You are not alone in your situation. We have made our appearance at the courts of several of the Iberian and Armenian Princes who have sent their sons as hostages to the Caliph as well. We offered them the same extension of friendship we offer to you now. In our past, we may have failed on occasions to protect our dear vassals, but not from deliberate apathy you must know. We were fighting for our survival to preserve our pure and true faith! If our resources are tied and exhausted to contend for the faith, is it our fault that we have failed to make provision for you and the other Princes? We understand! But the problem is that we were never unified in the early decades of the struggle against the infidels! This is a chance to make right the wrongs of the past. Ally with us, make a united stand!

But alas, you think of your son. You are right to do so. It would be unfitting and un-Christlike of us to forget your son. Would you perhaps reconsider when we bring news to you of his safety in the most holy city of Constantinople! Not only yours but the sons of other princes too!"

Leo paused. He wanted the last sentence to ring into the ears of the Prince. He waited. He watched with pleasure as his words had their intended affect.

Prince Gourgen lifted himself from his throne. His face was a portrait of confusion and relief.

"My dear Manuel is safe!"

Leo bowed.

"By the honour of my name I swear to it"

Prince Gourgen approached Leo and held him as he would with his closest friends or his family.

"But how?"

"Majestic Prince, our agents helped their sons to escape from Damascus. Those prince's sons who have known of the liberation of their sons have already united behind our cause! Indeed some have even been sent into the arms and bosom of their fathers already. We are reconciliing old enemies and re-awaken forgotten ties"

The Prince bowed on one eye, both his arms opened as if in supplication.

"You have your alliance! May our bonds with Rome be forged anew!"

Leo lifted the Prince from his knees and knelt himself before the Prince.

"Majestic Prince, keep this alliance a secret. The time for announcing our newfound friendship is the right time. When we do so, it will be with the resounding clatter of iron! When we call upon our brothers in arms and in faith, that will be the time of our salvation from the oppression of the infidels!"

The Caucasian Expedition (AD 713) Part 2

Leo and his small entourage mounted their horses as they exited from the Prince's palace. It was the bitter winter air that greeted them compared to the relatively less icier and dampness of the Abkhazian Prince's abode. Leo rubbed his hands together and breathed into them with his breath.

He had been fortunate to wear armour underneath his thick fur to further insulate him against the terror of the Caucasian winter.

As they rode back to their small encampment, Leo had pondered long and hard of the three years that passed so quickly. His first mission to command was a resounding success. To the people of Constantinople, he could do no wrong. THe more he achieved, the greater the pressure there was to succeed. Fortunately, he had married the most beautiful woman in the world (in his mind) - his beloved Kasia.

It had pained him to leave Kasia just as she was advanced in labour. But he had no choice. The political situation had changed, the peace and lull since the recent Saracen wars meant that the Empire had to re-forge alliances, make he borders secure and bring reliable allies within her orbit of influence again. Emperor Justinian had set so much store in the Caucasian region. Not only were his relatives living and ruling there was petty Princes but here laid the recruiting ground of some of the best soldiers the Empire could recruit. Experienced and tough Armenians, resourceful and hardy Iberians and resilient and stubborn Abkhazians. Excellent infantrymen, even more excellent cavalrymen.

The region was crucial to the Empire. What was crucial to Justinian was crucial for Leo. He had acquired some fame outside of the Empire's borders. The "New Mercurius" as proclaimed by his admirers and enemies alike. His fame must be used. His fame must be harnessed for the good of the Empire!

Leo knew this and accepted it.

Deep inside his heart everyday he would pray. Pray for his safety, pray that he would hold his wife again and see his child. Couriers had announced to him the good news of a son! He was to be a father! He longed the most for the comfort of his wife again. It seemed so long since he gazed into her eyes. Such deep beautiful brown eyes! The harder he tried to remember the countenance of her face, the more that memory faded into a feeling and longing inside his soul, ever deeper, ever painful. And yet, creating an ever stronger desire to succeed in his mission.

This would be his diplomatic destination after a long two year tour around the Caucasian region. He would sweet-talk hostile petty Princes and gain their allegiance with the news of the rescue of their sons from Damascus. He would charm and strengthen the relationship of the Empire to friendly princes with the same news. At the same time, he was campaigning. No amount of talking can be effective unless the presence of military might was there. If the princes were to believe his words of reconciliation, they must realise that the Romans have the warriors to uphold the alliance. However, some princes took longer to convince. To assist the process, Leo had on occasion led his army against the enemies of the petty princes against Saracen fortifications and raiding Saracen territory. It seems some material leverage was needed. But in the end, they acquiesed.

Leo sighed as he realised that more was needed to be done before he could begin to even think of home. He had promised several princes that he would make good the word of the Romans to show they could protect them against the Saracens without of course making the petty princes complicit as that would negate the secrecy of the alliance. He would have to lead some military expeditions into Saracen territory with his own army without aid from the princes. The princes themselves would feign shock and horror that the Romans would trample through their territory at will and appear as helpless vassals of the Caliph. However, instead of appealling to the Caliph for military assistance, they would instead inform the Caliph of the strength of Saracen forces in the region to take care of the Roman aggression and profusely praise the strength of Saracen arms and the destruction of the Roman army anytime soon.

It worked perfectly for Leo, but more so for the princes. Here was an unpassable opportunity. The Romans would weaken Saracen influence in the Caucasus for the benefit of the princes without them being seen as enemies of the Caliphate but as helpless vassals dependent on Saracen arms.

The camp appeared before Leo. It was a traditional square encampment. Defensively placed on an elevated plateau, it was perfect as a base for his Caucasian expedition. Against the snow, it was like some black chess board. He had seen the curious game of chess before. The Romans adopted it from the now-defunct Sassanians who adopted it in turn from the Indians. Ironic, thought Leo. This is like chess. All the moves have been made, pieces put into place one by one. Now we will see what the end will be.

"Strategos!" bellowed a familiar voice. A voice he had not heard for some time but welcome nonetheless.

After dismounting Leo opened his arms in disbelief at a welcome sight. His old friend Germanus!

Germanus placed his big beary arms around Leo and lifted him from the ground.

"You big ugly bear, what are you doing here!" Leo shouted.

"You fool, you! The Emperor has sent additional detachments to your army. You did request them did you not?"

Leo starred bemused before comprehending the situation.

"Mother of God! I did! But I did not expect an old friend!"

"I had insisted to Justinian that I must come. There was no other way!"

"Either way, it is nice to have a familiar face and comrade in arms here with me" smiled Leo. 'What news from the capital of late?"

"Come, let us talk privately. It is cold outside!"

"Of course, of course" replied Leo. With one arm around his comrade's shoulder he led him to his tent.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Germanus sat comfortably in the wooden chair offered to him by Leo as well as enjoying a swig of wine. With a hearty gulp, he wiped his mouth and beard and informed Leo of the latest developments in the Empire, especially the capital.

"Good news and bad news. Which do you want to hear first?"

"Germanus, I've been out here for so long, lets hear some good news first."

"Haha. Fair enough. Fair enough. Well, lets begin at the domestic front. Kasia is doing well, she is busy taking care of your son. So busy she doesn't seem to miss you" Germanus winked.

Leo smiled and winked in reply. "What else?"

"Your son is doing well, he has already learnt to speak. Little Arcadius looks like an energetic type, obviously takes after his father!" laughed Germanus.

"Your friends are doing well too. They have kept everything in order in your household. They enjoy being your retainers since you seconded them from the army. I hear Artabanus is getting married soon, as is Narses."

Germanus then went quiet.

Leo stared at Germanus. "and the bad news?"

"The Emperor. He looks sicker than usual. His strength is failing. His courtiers are plotting against him. I feel it. They've never forgiven him for taking a Khazar bride. The idea of a half-caste Turk on the throne of Byzantium disgusts them. But we have no evidence yet. Beneath the pomp, the granduer, the flattering and empty words that come from their mouths, something does not feel right."

"And of Mercurius?"

"Mercurius has been sent to Italy, the Exarch Andreas was killed while fighting the Longobards. Mercurius will replace him temporarily. In my opinion, a bad move. Justinian has sent one of his strongest supporters far away. Thank goodness for his Pharganoi bodyguards. Their loyalty cannot be doubted and with a Khazar Empress, their fidelity is not questioned."

"Alas, poor Andreas. A good man" said Leo.

"I'll raise a cup to that Leo" replied Germanus.

Leo raised his cup. "To Andreas"

"To Andreas"

"Unfortunately, the Pharganoi don't have influence in the capital. They're foreigners. Germanus, what has been done to protect the Emperor?"

"We've placed him under surveillance constantly...we...."

"No, Germanus. I'm not just talking about protecting the Emperor but also the stability of the Empire that comes from the Emperor being in control."

"There have been some curious appointments made in the capital. The son of Artemianus has been promoted as Count of the Opsikion. I don't trust Priscus one bit."

'Neither do I, the Opsikion is a very important province with some of the largest Roman forces stationed there."

"What concerns me even more Leo is the appointment or re-appointment of the Emperor's old enemies - if one could call them "old" enemies as it seems they are still enemies of the Emperor."

"THis is a dangerous path. Of all places, Im out here in the Caucasus!"

"I know, I know. But the Emperor needs good men to strengthen the Empire. Too bad, he doesn't have many good men in the capital. They're like vultures encircling until they see the right time to pounce on the Emperor."

"Germanus, I must stay one more Winter is this dread place. When I've finished campaigning. We will return as fast as possible. It is not safe for me to be away from the capital for so long. I fear for my Kasia and Arcadius if anything should happen. I feel it too Germanus. This sense of dread. I can't do anything to stop it out here. i must be back in the capital."

"One more winter Leo, one more. I'll be at your side. Once we finish, we will return will all speed to the capital. I swear to it that I'll see you finish this campaign quickly."

"God-speed Germanus"

"Amen"
    Last edited by kataphraktoi; 01-11-2007 at 18:14.

Feudalism TOtal War, non-active member and supporter. Long Live Orthodox Christianity!

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Leo III the Syrian

Glad to see you back, kataphraktoi. May I express the hope that the next update takes a little less time?
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Fantastic
    Drink Tea

Currently Reading: Nikolai Gogol's dead souls

AD 713: The Second Fall

A hagged and frail figure limped across the marble floors of the Great Palace coughing intermittently and at times violently. It was midnight in the great city of Constantinople and the Emperor was still awake. Sitting in his private study, Justinian began poring over the missives of the day bearing news from the frontiers. Each letter brought new challenges, new burdens and a new sense of foreboding fear.

He knew he was going to die. His doctors could not diagnose the problem, but he could feel the ailment inside. It felt like a lump inside his body burning and growing each day. With each passing day, Justinian became obsessed with the future and his legacy. In his prime, he had a dominating personality and attractive charisma. He would talk down his courtiers and advisers through sheer will alone. In his present weakness, he could only acquiese. It would have seem unthinkable that he would appoint Priscus, son of the usurper Artemianus as the Count of the Opsikion province - the largest and most powerful province in the empire. As Justinian would acknowledge, he surrendered to the pressure of his ministers.

Yesterday, he had overseen the dispatch of a large naval expedition to recapture Cherson against the rebel Vardanes. To the surprise of many observers, it was led by Vardanes' brother in law, Saborios. Even his wife protested vehemently at the appointment. His wife's protest was the first time he had even seen or spoken to her in a long time. Shutting himself from his family, he had established an exclusive corner in the Great Palace.
    not
    It wasn't out of hostility to his family. He was ashamed. He was ashamed to be seen in his weak state. He wanted them to remember him as the tall, handsome and strong Emperor he once was. Not the terminally ill wreck. And then, there was his pride. He made his decisions and stood by them. Some correct, others disastrously concieved. And yet, he stood by them.

His strongest supporters had all but dispersed to oversee missions abroad. His ministers had pressured him to do so, arguing trusted men should be sent with trusted missions. It seemed simple and correct, but it also meant a weakening circle of friends to rely upon in the capital. Quietly, the Emperor knew it. BUt did not do anything about it. It was his pride that got in the way.

Working endlessly through the night, a shaft of light penetrated through the terraced windows of his palace. The dawn of the new day beaconed its presence. In the light of day, the true extent of his condition revealed itself: the Emperor was a dead man walking and he could do was weep bitterly in the knowledge of his demise.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cherson:

The armada of ships slowly appeared on the horizon. The new day was just breaking to the alarm of the citizens of Cherson. The city had been taken over by the exiled general Vardanes by his supporters. They expected a brutal punishment for being an unwilling party to this rebellion. Soon pandemonium broke out, gangs soon formed to agitation for the deposition and handover of the rebel to the Imperial navy to stave off the possiblity of punishment.

In the governor's palace, Vardanes laughed off the commotion in the city. In his early 40s, Vardanes was a general of Armenian extraction. His family was a scion of the Mamikonian family and boasted royal pedigree. It had also iincalculated in him a degree of royal arrogance too. His defeats in battle had not seen him punished for incompetence. But he was punished for attempting to desert in mid-battle against the Saracens in which his superior commander, Theophilus was killed as a result of his desertion.

He was hunted down by the general Leo who was in the vicinity. At the mention of Leo, be bristled. That young upstart Syrian had cut off on his ears in retaliation for his desertion in which Theophilus - Leo's childhood friend - had been killed. Under heavy escort, he was sent back to the capital and unceremoniously exiled to the cold periphery of Cherson.

However, he was a powerful man in his right. His family had superceded that of Artemianus' own family as the leading party to overthrow the Heraclian dynasty. Even Priscus, the son of Artemianus acknowledged this. His partisans in the capital included ministers and advisers of the EMperor. With each passing day, he knew they were putting the pieces in play. They waited for the execution to bring their ambitions to fruition.

One of these pieces was his brother-in-law. From his supporters, he knew his brother-in-law was commanding the army sent to punish him. He also knew the composition of the expedition. They were soldiers loyal to his family and exclusively recruited for the expedition. The armada was not his damnation, it was his salvation.

Vardanes felt invigorated by this knowledge and smiled smugly. His time would come.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Armenia:

"Most honourable lord, we have fulfilled our oaths to the great Khalif. We present before you the Roman army that has plagued our region and challenged the authority of his supreme majesty"

"You have indeed served us as loyal allies Prince Arsaces, you will be rewarded by the Khalifah when we triumph over these Roman dogs!"

"Please except my leave of absence to command my regiment, I await your signal lord"

"By all means. Allah Akhbar, may we be granted victory"

The Armenian prince Arsaces rode to his cavalry regiment on the right wing of the Saracen army sent to find and destroy the Roman forces led by Leo. For months, the Romans had stalked in the region destabilising the Saracen presence. Like the other princes, Arsaces had submitted to the Khalifah, and like other Armenian princes, he was in secret compact with the Romans against the Saracens. The combined forces of the Armenians and the Saracens had trapped the Romans in the many valleys and flat spots that dot the Armenian region. The Armenians had blocked off one of the exit points of the valley while the main force had occupied the higher terrain overlooking the Roman force.

Maslama moved his forces forward. His was excited at the prospect of wiping out the pesterous Romans and claiming the head of Leo. Leo had earned his name against them. He had defeated the legendary Mutasim and put Saracen arms to shame at Tephrike. Maslama hoped to earn his name against Leo.

Born the son of the Khalif Abd Al Malik, he had distinguished himself against the Romans after the disaster of Tephrike. With him was an elite regiment of captured Turks who were enslaved, converted and freed to become his most reliable warriors.

It was his elite Turks who attacked first, riding ahead of the Saracen force they launched a volley of arrows taking advantage of the elevated heights to enhance their range and penetrating force. The Romans had the advantage of large shields to cower under. Even then, some had fallen.

The Romans replied in kind, the foot archers hid behind their comrades before emerging to fire their own volley. They fell short as their depressed position worked against them.

Leo was not worried by his position. The Armenians covering the rear exit were unlikely to move out from their positions. This allowed him to deploy his army facing in one direction: namely the main force. He ordered his forces to retreat back. He hoped to lure the Saracens off their elevated ground. He hoped that larger Saracen force would be overconfident so as to use their numbers to overcome his force.

Maslama saw the Roman force retreat back. He was not fooled. He would not surrender his elevated position. He was wary of Leo's strategems. Instead he decided to play a game of attrition. Musa had brought with him native Iranian horse archers, Muslim to a man and beholden to Islam. Positioned on his left, he sent them to harry the Roman right continously.

To his frustration, the Romans rarely broke ranks. Since the Iranians were on level terrain, the Roman archers could hold them off. As the afternoon began to wear on, his Iranians made no impression.

An Armenian cavalryman rode up to his position with a message from the Armenian Arsaces.

"Most honourable lord, my lord asks of you, why is there a delay in the attack? His men are weary and tired of inaction."

Emir Maslama was in an agitated mood and replied:

"Tell your lord, it is I who gives orders! Tell him to wait!'

The chasted Armenian bowed and rode back to his Prince.

Maslama's trusted adviser, Badr Ibn Ali spoke as the Armenian messenger left.

"Maslama, why not get the Armenians covering the rear exit to charge the Roman line. We have surrounded the Romans. At the same time, we will charge. It will not matter if we do not hold the elevated heights, they cannot resist a pincer movement. It is very simplistic, oh Emir, but an effective one."

"Badr, I know what you say makes sense, but this cursed dog is not as easy to fight against."

"Perhaps you are being to paranoid!"

Maslama had an incredulously look on his face which turned to anger before realising that maybe his adviser was right.

"I am aren't I? You have been my best adviser for years. You have provided wise counsel to me"

Badr gave a reassuring smile to Maslama: "You are Maslama, you've fought against the Romans before and won victories against them when it seemed our cause was going to be shattered. You recovered our positions after our pride was dented by the battle of Tephrike. Don;t doubt yourself!"

"Badr, send a message to the Armenians behind the Romans to charge. Also order Prince Arsaces to charge the Roman left. We ourselves will charge the center and their right. This ends today!"

Badr bowed and rode to mounted messengers behind him.

Badr Ibn Ali could look back on a distinguished career as well as an interesting history. Badr was the descendant of a Roman officer who fought under Emperor Heraclius. The officer, Cassius, was from a rich Cappadocian family based in Caesarea and was captured at the battle of Yarmuk and enslaved. Due to his bravery in the one-sided massacre of his comrades, he was spared on the condition of conversion. Under Islamic laws, a Muslim cannot be a slave and was freed immediately. However, that freedom was not complete. His military bravery saw him enlisted and seconded to the Khalifah's elite regiments to participate in the conquest of Sassanian Iran. Cassius, or Qasim Ibn Ishaq acquired fame and fortune against the Sassanid forces. It seemed iironic that he had fought against them under Heraclius years ago as a junior officer. Granted lands in Iran, he settled in the city of Nishapur where he started his own family - known as the Banu Qasim. His descendants were skilled and loyal servants of the Ummayad rulers. On occasion, they led as generals against the Turks. On other occasions, they were skilled administrators.

Cassius-Qasim, however, had never forgotten his roots. Unbeknownst to his new masters, he had kept contact with his family in Cappadocia during his lifetime. The passage of time eventually worked against this. His descendants intermarried with Iranian families who converted to Islam . The Banu Qasim became ensconced in the sphere of Islam and the Iranian people, but they never forgot their roots. Badr himself never forgot either. He was the grandson of Justin and continued the family tradition as a warrior. He was also the keeper of the Christian tradition. Outwardly they were Muslims, secretly, they were Christians. They acquired a reputation for tolerance of Christians and Zoroastarians. Interestingly, all wives of Banu-Qasim male were either secret Christians or Zoroasterians. This secret compact secured their ties with Iranian families even further. Though his spiritual loyalty was to the Roman religion, his temporal loyalty was to the Caliphate.

Prince Arsaces recieved the Saracen order and prepared to marshal his forces.
    The Armenian cavalry regiment moved forward at the sound of a horn and shouts of the Naxarar nobles. He was in a confident mood. For the first time in years he felt relieved. Relieved his son was in safe custody in Roman territory. The Saracens had reported his son was in Damascus, presumably to keep him loyal hoping to fool him. But he knew better. Prince Arsaces had somehow managed to muster the combined forces of the fractious and disputatious Armenian nobles. His noble lineage had at least given him some ephemeral advantage in this particular time and hour of need.

The pace of the combined forces continued in a menacing momentum against the Roman forces. Leo ordered the Romans to feign panic. The Romans dispersed haphazardly shouting and lamenting.

From the distance, the Saracen forces could see this. It excited them as well as scared them. They dreamt of looting the Romans but were wary of Roman deception as well. They loathed of sharing with the Armenians any loot after the battle. A few Saracens had to reigned in to prevent them from breaking an orderly march. The outlying Iranian horse archers began to ride against the Roman right again, hoping to take advantage of the Roman disorder. As they were about to approach the enemy, they were surprised. Despite appearing disorderly, they did not expect a hail of arrows fired against them. The Roman archers were well hidden in the apparent disorder. Man and horse hit the ground in shock death and horror. The Iranians were momentarily stunned before they regained their senses and retreated a further distance back.

Leo once bellowed for the Roman to re-organise. His feigned disarray had quickened the Saracen march against his forces. He now ordered his forces to retrieve their ordered positions again. Behind the main army lines were trumpeteers who blew in successions signals to begin the march. They were going to face the main force head on! The Armenians guarding the exit routes began to near the Roman rear.

Maslama watched the Romans beginning to march forward. He was worried by their ignorance of the Armenians in their rear.

"Why aren't they sending a force against them!" shouted an exasperated Maslama.

He was uneasy again.

As experienced as he was, this unorthodox circumstance caught him off guard.

The Armenians in the rear did not charge the Romans, instead they rode to the position to the Roman right.

Badr remarked: "Maybe they are preparing to engage the Roman right?"

"It still doesn't make sense!" exclaimed Maslama.

Meanwhile the Saracens had quickened their pace. The elite Turkish regiment had positioned themselves in the center providing covering fire to the infantry in front of them.

The Romans paused at the foot of the elevated position, tempting the Saracens to use the height to their advantage in a frontal charge. Behind their large shields, they bristled like an armoured tortoise. Leo had his officers and general were already dismounted and fought as infantry behind large shields. All horses were left at a secure location earlier. He positioned himself in the center. His soldiers knew this and confidently faced the enemy knowing the this.

The crush of the Saracen forces rammed into the Roman lines with a violent force. The Romans held off the first charge with determination and desperation knowing the outcome of the battle relied on their order and cohesion. Engaging in close combat, the Romans had the better of the lighter armoured Saracens. After absorbing the violent first contact, the Romans deliberately moved backwards as if the Saracen momentum had put them on the backfoot.

The Saracen forces surrounded the Romans on the left and right wing positions, all Romans were fighting on foot in a strong hollow rectangle formation. The Iranian horse archers launched into the fray this time. Confident in victory.

Strangely enough, the Armenians had not moved after their initial deployment.

Maslama noticed this too.

Prince Arsaces knew this was the correct time, the Saracen had gleefully surrounded the Roman force. One of the cavalrymen in the frontline of the cavalry regiment unfurled a large banner with the Mother Mary prominent against a white silk background.

"Leave no survivors! Everything depends on their complete annihilation!"

The Armenian cavalrymen intended to charge the Roman rear now charged the Saracen left which had engaged the Roman right. The Saracens were caught off-guard as they noticed their flanks being attacked by their erstwhile allies.

"The Armenians have betrayed us! Those dogs, you can't trust an infidel!"

Maslama noticed that Prince Arsaces had split his forces. One to attack his elite Turkish regiment in the center, the other towards him!

"All will come to nothing if we are annihilated. Word must be sent to the Khalifah!"

"We must retreat!" yelled Maslama to his officers who were a considerable distance behind the main engagement below them. Ignoring the fate of their army, beat a retreat with the Armenians behind them. As they approached the exit above them, they saw men appearing to occupy the exits.

Prince Arsaces had stationed reliable infantrymen in the pathways outside the valley to block off any Saracen retreat. It was to be a total victory for his countrymen.

Badr rode up to Maslama: "We have no choice but to charge"

Maslama angrily struck at Badr: "Its your fault, I told you something was not right!"

"But you decided to engage them anyway" retorted Badr.

"Many victories, I have won, this is shameful!"

"Its not over until your body lies in the dust Maslama!"

Maslama knew his old friend was right. He had been duped by a cunning general, his duty now was to survive and inform his brother, the Khalif Suleiman of the Armenian deception.

With Badr by his side, he extorted his retainers to fight for their lives.

In a desperate charge they launched a desperate attack against the infantrymen blocking their retreat. Utilising Roman tactics, he had part of his force firing arrows against the spear-armed infantrymen while his strongest lancers aimed their lances against the enemy.

To his surprise, the Armenians crumbled against the combined arms assault of his forces. However, that initial shocked was soon absorbed by the sheer mass of the infantrymen who slowed the cavalry charge and proceeded to slaughter the brave but doomed Saracen retainers of Maslama's men.

However, that charge was enough to create a hole, as narrow as it seemed. The retainers closest to Maslama were buffeted by the other cavalrymen engaging, or more unfortunately, serving as fodder for the infantrymen fighting on their own terms.

"One more charge Maslama, it is a small hole, but we must go for it before it closes up!"

Badr and Maslama extorted the unengaged retainers to make one last charge.

Maslama had barely emerged from the small hole with a handful of his men. Badr, however, was not by his side. To gain enough time for Maslama, Badr deliberately stayed behind to distract the infantrymen. With a momentary glimpse, he could see Badr heroically hacking left and right until he was felled by numbers.

Prince Arsaces cursed himself as he saw Maslama escape. Knowing what fine steeds the Arab stallions were, his own men had no chance of catching up with the enraged Saracen. Despite winning today's battle. He knew he had failed. There would be swift retribution. The Armenian secret alliance would be exposed and his countrymen would pay.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by kataphraktoi; 10-28-2007 at 07:27.

AD 714: The Second Fall:

It was no surprise when Priscus raised the banner of revolt in the Opsikion province. It was a matter of time just after the naval expedition to Cherson turned their coat and proclaimed Vardanes Emperor. Not knowing when the naval expedition would arrive, Justinian placed his capital under the care of Mercurius who had returned from his duties in Italy while he led an army against Priscus.

For the first time in a long time, Justinian felt revitalised again. The rebellion had sprung him into action, while still frail, he had at least recovered some of his dynamism and energy. Justinian had gathered an army of 6000 men including most of the elite regiments in the capital and crossed the Bosphorus under cover of night. Priscus, who had encamped at Prusa, was taken by surprise at the Emperor's sudden change of demeanour. On hearing of the crossing, he quickly gathered his enemy to engage the Emperor head on.

In a pitched battle outside Nicaea, Justinian routed the rebel and captured Priscus in an attempted retreat. In front of his routed army held captive, Priscus was behead by Justinian himself. To all who took part in that battle, it seemed the Emperor had returned to his old confident self. Admittedly, the Emperor still looked pale and sick, but nonetheless had a glow about him. After the battle, however, Justinian retreat to his camp exhausted. Once inside the confines of his luxurious tent, he collapsed on the ground. His retainers just barely caught him. They carried him to his bed and stripped him of his armour. The imperial physician was summoned with due haste.

Demetrios hastened to the Emperor when he heard of the Emperor's collapse.
    Upon seeing Demetrios, JUstinian exclaimed:
    "Demetrios, I know I am a stubborn fool but I had to lead my men into battle"
    Empathically, Demetrios reassured the Emperor he understood his reasons but still chastened him for his rashness. Like a father to a son, that was how Demetrios was seen in Justinian's eyes. Demetrios was a trusted member of
    his father's staff, and even now, he remained to Justinian.

"How long do I have left Demetrios" asked Justinian.

Demetrios sighed: "I don't know Emperor, this 'thing' inside of you takes it time"

"Am I cursed, is God against me that I should suffer this ailment?"

"I don;t know, his ways confound me." lamented Demetrios.

"Hush now, you could be branded a heretic!" laughed Justinian.

"Oh, it is healthy to express some doubt now and then" grinned Demetrios.

"Meanwhile, you have to rest. Take one day at a time. I've ordered a strict diet of fruit and vegetables for you.

Justinian frowned: "Again?"

Demetrios feigned a fatherly frown: "Who's the physician here?"

Justinian laughed again and resigned himself to a lamentable diet.

"This, i fear is worse than death!"

"Maybe so, but its my order" smiled Demetrios.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Armenia:

The Caliph enraged at the Armenian betrayal sent his Maslama back with a larger army to punish the nobles. Leo, with a small force could only engage in ambushes and raids in shadowing tactics against the much larger army. Leo knew that diplomacy had failed. The secret alliance had been blown. All he could do now was contain the damage. It was to be no easy task.

Using Sebastea as a checkpoint, Armenian refugees flooded through this city in an attempt to escape the wrath that was coming. However, the unfortunate vast majority of Armenians stayed where they were. The united Armenians under Prince Arsaces quickly crumbled at the Saracen assault. Defections to the Saracens amongst the nobles ensured after the capture and leveling of Yerivan deep in the Armenian heartland. Prince Arsaces and a few of his loyal nobles made a desperate last stand in the mountains until they were betrayed by their countrymen and butchered to a man. The prince;s head was taken and exhibited before Maslama who had it sent around the Armenian cities still holding out. Armenia as a region was pacified.

The key to Saracen failures in the region had been wiped out in one determined campaign. However, the Saracens did not invade the Romans for their complicit role in the Armenian region. Their target were the Armenians who were considered treasonous subjects. As for the Romans, that was another matter. For now, they satisfied themselves with raiding Anatolia.

Leo, who was ensconsced in Trebizond was relieved to find the military positions in Anatolia still in place. He had managed to keep his force intact. With the aid of Germanus, he had survived the cut-throat politics of the Caucasian region. While he had failed to prevent the bloodbath in Armenia, he had managed to at least keep Abkhazia from being attacked. Prince Gourgen had given refuge to many Armenian nobles fleeing the Saracen wrath and pledged their loyalty to the Romans, more so from the desire to seek revenge rather than any emotional sentiment to Rome.

The Emperor had sent Leo a message asking him to remain in Trebizond. The Emperor was marching with a Roman army to fight the Saracens after the ending of winter.

While pleased with the Emperor's apparent recovery, he lamented having to spend more long time away from his young family beyond the winter of this year. Resigning himself to this delay, he spent most of his time fighting the Saracen raids.

Just your average Senior Member Warmaster Horus's Avatar
    Besancon, France: a stepping stone to greatness. I hope.

Nice update! Welcome back kataphraktoi!
    The Throne Room: "Less a forum, more a way of life." Econ21
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Join the latest greatest installement of mafia games: Capo di Tutti Capi!
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567