Thread: Frustrating server

PapaSmurf Senior Member Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe's Avatar

Angry

Saturday was really bad, with invisible games and people unable to see each other.

Sunday; so far all game went disconnected.

I am not aware of any warning for service disruption, nor of any explanation.

My expectations are so low, that I can't be disappointed, but am still very unhappy.

Louis,
    [FF] Louis St Simurgh / The Simurgh

i got a message just a few moments ago while in the foyar from a [cobby (global message)]: something about they, i assume gamespy, knows of the peer to peer problems being experienced while hosting and they'd forwarded the issue on to the techies.

last night my firewall (software) took mtw down and said the gamespy peer to peer network had tried to hack my pc... i don't know about all that, but the fire wall never takes mtw down.

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

A couple of us tried to host our 4v4 game. None of these hosts were visible. After a system reboot mine became visible. A bit clumsy, but worth a try when you have problems.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Senior Member Senior Member Tomisama's Avatar

Just to save time, you guys might adopt the following as a standard operating procedures:

1. Always reboot your computer just before you come online to play.

2. Always relog after you leave the foyer for any reason.

3. Always reboot the game after you have hosted, even if it was a failed game.

Additionally check, your firewall is off, your pop-up blocker is on, and maybe even that your screen saver is shut down. And under no circumstances, be downloading while your trying to play the game Duh huh? You would think so wouldn’t you, but I have known several folks to be doing just that

And please, please, give GameSpy a break.

They are not responsible for:

A. Maintaining the server software for their clients.

B. Internet congestion around the world.

C. Players with inadequate computer equipment.

D. Players with poor internet connection capabilities.

E. Players who don’t update their operating system software.

F. Players who don’t know what they are doing.

The Spy guys provide excellent service for millions of gamers all over the world, every day. They have Help files, message boards, and answer emailed questions and problem reports. They are not our enemy, but our best friend in trying to ‘make this thing work”, so the we might have the most enjoyable gamming experience.

I know it has become our cultural norm to immediately dump the blame on them. They are our number one scape goat, and that probably won’t change anytime soon. But the biggest tragedy beyond “whipping the messenger”, is that it is highly possible we are missing out on the benefits of their friendship. Because our minds are automatically closed against them, we don’t seek them out for help.

HONOUR IS VICTORY - GO WITH HONOUR - KEEP THE CODE

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003816474

the goldfish Senior Member tootee's Avatar

if i can play and host games consistently with no trouble and suddenly people cannot see my games and i cannot see theirs, many games dropping suddenly.. i do not blame my software or my internet connection or the world internet connection because these factors are quite unchanged.. then i suspect either gamespy servers run into some tech problem, were virus infected or general system crash.. whatever they have to maintain the level of service, or at least give us a decent explanation. why can't i blame gamespy and pressure them to act? probably the situation will improve if i just blame myself then.
    tootee the goldfish,
    loyal roach of Clan S.G.

“They (GameSpy) are not responsible for: A. Maintaining the server software for their clients.”

That means Creative Assembly/Activision, they are the client.

The game programmers are the ones who would have fix the server software, not GameSpy. What do they know about the specifics of Total War programming?

And if you were still had access the game foyer, the MTW/VI GameSpy server was up

Even if they (GameSpy) actually went down, which would be their fault. Don’t you think the best place to complain about it would be directly to them? Or do you think they visit the Org Jousting Fields forums for customer complaints?

All of the rebooting, relogging, and other rituals of appeasement that go with this game annoy me. I shouldnt have to experience these bugs, and while I can live with it, I dont believe that I should like it, and I and others out there in the same situation should not stop talking about it until these issues are addressed. And we most certainly should not silence ourselves out of appreciation for all of the other things in the game and foyer that nobody managed to break yet. A quote I heard the other day pretty much sums it up: "You dont get congratulated for doing what you're supposed to do". Hopefully, RTW will have a better infrastructure, because it's going to be pretty popular, and you'll be reading a lot more stuff like this if things dont change from here to there.

Now that that's been said, I'm going to pour a ring of salt around my computer to try to keep the bug and lockup spirits out.
    "Never in physical action had I discovered the chilling satisfaction of words. Never in words had I experienced the hot darkness of action. Somewhere there must be a higher principle which reconciles art and action. That principle, it occurred to me, was death." -Yukio Mishima

I absolutely, whole heartedly, and totally agree Kongamato.

*bows*

But GameSpy “did not” write the software, and are not responsible for it’s content.

And yelling at the will accomplish nothing Especially from this distance (he he).

On the other hand, posting on their Help forums for assistance in getting these things straightened out, would get things rolling in the right direction. If you can gain their alliance in seeking solutions, you will have a much better chance of getting something accomplished.

Who do you think Creative Assembly is more likely to listen to, an individual player, or a representative from GameSpy?