Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Battlefield Vietnam!

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

Does anyone know the UK release date? I've heard conflicting messages...
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

I don't know the UK release date but I HAVE IT NOW
    I got the game yesterday and it is great I have a really crap comp. (256 RAM GForce mx 420) and at lowest settings it still runs great and looks decent. I highly suggest everyone get this game. And use the American heavy assault while you still can because by the time the first patch coems out he won't be the uber-soldier he is now. On Ho Chi Minh Trail the American Heavy assault gets a M60, L.A.W. rocket launcher, and a Med-kit That is the ultimate super-soldier.

Otto - They call them fingers, but I've never seen them fing...Oh there they go
    Cool Site

BKS I know it comes out on the 18th in Australia so I'm sure you'll get it in U.K. by then.

Cool Site

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (The_678 @ Mar. 18 2004,21:59)]BKS I know it comes out on the 18th in Australia so I'm sure you'll get it in U.K. by then.
    Cool, man. Maybe we could create some kind of .Org BF clan or server...

Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Quote[/b] ]Maybe we could create some kind of .Org BF clan
    I would so be into that. I am actually starting to get good at FPS's now. Most games I am in the top 5 if not on the leaderboard. I am proud of this considering when I used to play BF1942 I would get scores of like 2-10. I have even been #1 a few times on servers with like 40 people.

Cool Site

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Meh. Bought it, but wish I didnt. I loved BF1942, but this is just... bleh.
    Is it me, or is the Heavy soldier just a tad too powerful? M60 and LAWs... ick. Nobody will choose the Assault soldier now because of it.

Why is it so bad kekvitirae: Can you give us more details why?
    »Erzähle, Wandrer, wenn du nach Sparta kommst, daß wir, seinen Gesetzen gehorsam, hier gefallen sind.«

CHIEF ARCHITECT

visit our HTW website

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

Talking

God willing, I will post a complete review for the Org here in some twelve hours or so…
    Mixed up feelings I get from playing this game, I'm still not quite certain how much I just like it. I did some instant action and was online some three hours ago last night, high kill ratio but I doubt if I will ever learn to fly that diabolic machine that resembles a helicopter

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

Ok now the key question: Is it better than Eye of Destruction?
    »Erzähle, Wandrer, wenn du nach Sparta kommst, daß wir, seinen Gesetzen gehorsam, hier gefallen sind.«

CHIEF ARCHITECT

visit our HTW website

1. AT soldiers are the ultimate killing machines. M60 machine guns and LAWs. Nothing stands in his way. Nothing.
    2. NVA Engineers have the ability to create tunnels. US Engineers have the ability to suck. No really, they do. They have the ability to dismantle a vehicle with their blow torch. Wow That sure does beat having the ability to creat new spawn points whereever you wish
    3. The helicopter flight model is neither as accurate nor as fun as Operation Flashpoint's flight model. So far, I've figured out how to steady myself and move forward, but god help me if you want me to kill something other than myself in it
    4. The missions are too... open. This would not be a problem in BF1942 (and isnt), but we are talking about the dense jungles of Vietnam. I have yet to see any dense jungles in the game. Would it have hurt the designers to add just a few more trees to the maps?
    5. There is no campaign mode. Instead, they give you instant action mode where you can play any of the missions. There was no sense of completion that there was with the BF1942 campaign.

These are just a few of my complaints. It just feels like an expansion pack than a sequal. My suggestion? Save your money and download Eve of Destruction for BF1942.

With that said, I really like the fact that they included some good hits from the 1960s into the soundtrack.

That's about all that I like about the game.

I will be honest: I would only buy this game, if it has really potential for mods.

And I think it has, so I guess I will buy it, but lets see.

CHIEF ARCHITECT

visit our HTW website

Quote[/b] (Antalis:: @ Mar. 19 2004,01:15)]I will be honest: I would only buy this game, if it has really potential for mods.

And I think it has, so I guess I will buy it, but lets see.
    Then I'd suggest you wait until there are actual mods out for it first. I'm quite happy playing DC, DCX, and BF1942. ^_^

Zitat[/b] (kekvitirae @ Mär. 19 2004,01:18)]Then I'd suggest you wait until there are actual mods out for it first. I'm quite happy playing DC, DCX, and BF1942. ^_^
    Yeah, maybe I´ll do this

CHIEF ARCHITECT

visit our HTW website

The sad truth about this game is that it won't be great until it is fully patched. And I agree about the class unbalancing. There is no reason to ever be the U.S. Engineer and the Heavy assault is just too good. On some levels (Ho Chi Minh and Cambodian) they also have Med-kits. I would have to say though that the Cambodia level has some really nice jungle to it. But it could be denser. And for the Helicopters, all I can say is that with a Joystick they handle really great. I can control it just about perfectly. I can't fly with a Keyboard and Mouse either. It's way to hard.

But once even the first patch comes out the game will be much better.

Also the Mod Point of Exictence looks really good and it could even be better than DC.

Cool Site

It's sad how game publishers value quantity over quality. 80% of the games that are published now are either unfinished/rushed or just plain bad. I have faith in developers and publishers that take their time and not make promises they cant keep (John Romero, anyone?).
    I have yet to see StarCraft: Ghost, but Blizzard has not let the gaming community down yet.
    Thankfully, I bought Harvest Moon: It's A Wonderful Life for GameCube along with BFV, so I'm currently tiding myself over, waiting for my chickens and cattle to get their jiggy on.

Picked up BF:V last night. Here's my brief take on it...

Infantry/Vehicles - Overhaul of the class selection screen. Now you can select what your soldier looks like in addition to which weapons package he will be outfitted with (generally there are two packages per class). As kekvitirae already stated some of the classes are in need of serious tweaking. Running and gunning seems fine and the wealth of new weapons and the various weapons packages makes for some interesting firefights. In terms of gameplay prepare to be sniped and ambushed... alot. The combination of dense foliage and vegetation makes for a sniper's playground and a camper's dream.

Flying - Great looking cockpit graphics for all the planes and helicopters (but who flies with that stuff turned on anyway?). In terms of handling and physics the helicopters are far superior to those found in Desert Combat or Eve of Destruction. The bad news is rocket equipped helos can only fire two() rockets at a time before reloading... lame. The jets are really fun if not a tad vulnerable to ground fire. Napalm equipped F-4 Phantoms are the sh|t.

Maps - Didn't try them all but they seem fine. The available airspace is far too constrictive on some of them; often you will find yourself out of bounds immediately after a bombing run. I miss the older, square mini-map which seemed larger than the new diamond shaped mini-map. The rest of the GUI (graphical user interface) is great.

Shock and horror Technologically speaking BF:V needs patching right out of the box...

For some reason I could not sort the online servers by ping which meant I had to sort the servers by # of players and look for a reasonable populated server with a low ping (as of right now there are precious few servers out there which is expected). All other categories seemed unaffected.

Graphically BF:V is certainly prettier than its predecessor but it has issues with ATI's method of Anisotropic filtering. By default I play all my games at 1024x768x32bit color with 4x Anti Aliasing and 16x Anisotropic Filtering (Performance). With BF:V any level of AF enabled on ATI cards creates strange pixelated artifacts on surfaces. It is not that bad but it is noticeable. Turning off AF gets rid of the artifacts but lowers the overall clarity of textures.

Sound - Shockingly average in terms of quality but there is lots of ambient sound to make up for it. I believe sound quality improves if you select any of the three EAX options available (EAX, EAX2 & EAX3) but doing so will hammer your framerate. Beyond EAX the game only supports software based '2D Fast Miles' which relies on your CPU for audio processing. Basically there is NO support for hardware OR software based DirectSound/DirectSound3D acceleration or even Sensaura equipped sound cards (like my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz). The only hardware acceleration available for sound is for EAX compatible cards, preferably Creative's... absolutely inexcusable.

Despite my criticism BF:V is still a good game but it is certainly inferior to Desert Combat which surpasses it in virtually every category. This comparison goes beyond my personal bias for the more open and conventional style of warfare depicted in BF:1942 and Desert Combat. I cannot wait to see what kind of non-Vietnam mods will be made with the BF:V engine.

"Why spoil the beauty of the thing with legality?" - Theodore Roosevelt

Idealism is masturbation, but unlike real masturbation idealism actually makes one blind. - Fragony

Though Adrian did a brilliant job of defending the great man that is Hugo Chavez, I decided to post this anyway.. - JAG (who else?)

The fact of the matter is, BFV would be a great game to enjoy if it was billed as mearly an expansion rather than a sequal. My expectations were high, and I was let down :/

I´ve bought BV and I like it.
    I don´t know if its better then bf42, but the engine is: Grass

CHIEF ARCHITECT

visit our HTW website

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123