Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Shogun Total War mod for MTW-VI

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

by the way if you want to "be" part of the mod check this thread,
    make an appearance in the Shogun Mod
    we need some heroes
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

What I meant was that I was going to change the battlefields for the original game, which is easy....

I haven't the experience or tools to mod the Shogun tilesets, but I thought I'd see how much work it was to simply retile the original maps: if this isn't what you wanted someone might find a use for them. I worked through five maps and I've uploaded the result to the Medieval section: am_shogunmaps_v1 and TEST_am_shogunmaps_v1. These are the 'classic' maps, without the changes I was making for my new campaigns.

Senior Member Senior Member Wellington's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (barocca @ Sep. 24 2003,19:47)]Maps, these cannot be converted direct from Shogun to MTW easily, no-one managed to make a map converter, plus then you have the tiling problems i mentioned earlier,
    my hope is to "borrow" some generic maps from medieval, remake them using converted Shogun Models, (which i have made almost all of already, just a few more to go), then i can assign a map folder to the mod.
    B,

I'll have a quick look at the format of STW battlefield maps.

I already understand the MTW map formats (I detailed it in the MTTM thread) and I suspect the old STW maps won't be so different. As I already have some code to decipher MTW maps maybe an STW to MTW map converter is not so hard.

I presume you've already tried copying STW maps to MTW and it does'nt work?

I'll have a quick look at the STW map format and see what happens.

Welly

B,

Ok. Some STW maps work fine in MTW, others don't. The difference is whether or not any STW specific models are defined within the map (also you must create an MTW ".inf" file type for the STW map).

Copy the STW map "bingo" to MTW SavewMaps (create an ".inf" as well for it) and try a custom battle using that map. Works fine.

Why? Because "bingo" does'nt contain models within the map. Any STW map that DOES contain models references the STW names and hence (as such names don't exist in MTW) the map fails to load.

This is not a problem as the code I currently have (from MTTM) can optionally strip models/trees from an MTW map - therefore we can quite easiliy convert STW maps to MTW (providing you understand you will lose all of the STW models/castles on the map - simply because there are no equivalent MTW names for such STW models).

Ok, so that will work fine.

Next problem is the tilesets. If you tried the "bingo" test above in MTW you will see th etiles are crap. This is because the relevant mapping between the STW and MTW tilesets are not correct. Therefore we would have to provide a parameter file that maps to there quivalent MTW ones (just as LMM does such mapping for colour palettes via parameter files). Again this is not a problem - providing I can see the damn STW tile sets

I got the BP8 decompressor you sent but I also need the "RSW_Riptga.exe" to see the STW tiles - and I'm NOT fighting the Orgs 3ddownloads again

B, E-mail me this 30k utility from RSW (riptga.exe? ) and I'll check out the mapping. Hopefully we can somthing to do this STW->MTW map conversion very quickly.

One final point is whether the tile bits in the maps (STW and MTW) are equivalent. These tile bits control the orientation and flipping of tiles (8 possibilities). I have no reason to suspect the logic is different from STW to MTW (as the map formats are the same - albeit with different model names) so I presume this would be ok. If not we can add 'mapping' parameter files for this as well.

Final question - did you intend to use the exact tile sets from STW into MTW? I suspect this isn't necessary. Providing the MTW tiles provide similar textures - whats the point?

Welly

is this modification actually working in multiple turns?

and I guess a VI map doesn't need the pope...

and, Welly, I have been looking for your LMM around - I have been out of luck, its not on the org anymore, my searching efforts have so far been in vain,

Whitey

Have you seen the fnords?

Quote[/b] (Whitey @ Sep. 26 2003,05:23)]and, Welly, I have been looking for your LMM around - I have been out of luck, its not on the org anymore, my searching efforts have so far been in vain,

Whitey
    Hi Whitey,

Check this recent thread -

http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin....t=10951

Welly

(*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

Whitey, this mod works 100%, i have completed a few campaigns in it, at this point it is vastly unpolished, and the tech tree is very flat,
    i have some 300 images to import and quite a lot of text editing to do before it is finished, (the polish),

as soon as i have a decent unit mix, and have broadened the depth of the tech tree i will release a beta version, i am confident you lot will find some bugs that i have overlooked,

the polish (finishing touches) will come after the beta,
    B.
    The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

You have done a great job there Barocca, well done dude

Wellington,

i have asked for a retrieval of a thread from the previous incarnation of the org forums,
    where Kraellin, Glijay and I disected the composition of the STW and MTW maps, i believe RSW also had some input,

if my memory is working the tiles are "flipped" 90 degrees clockwise, meaning a re-orientation would be required, if we can retrieve the thread all that data is in it,

there is also a tilemap i made when the demo was released,
    i am hoping to recover that from the thread also,
    if i cannot then i should be able to find a copy of it here somewhere,
    it will no longer be 100% accurate, new tiles were added for the release, BUT it is a good start,

if my memory is working properly the stw tiles, when imported to mtw are very dark, they also may be blurry,
    it would be preferable to use as many mtw tiles as we can, and perhaps to "touch up" those unique shogun tiles that we feel really need to be ingame,
    providing we keep such a set of tiles down to about 20 or so we may have a workable solution,

The exact limits of the number of tiles that mtw can store in its folders is also in the old thread i am trying to track down...

this may take a couple of days,
    just got off an eleven hour shift, and have another 10hr shift tomorrow,
    i managed to squeak out of doing seven in a row, but may still have four more after a days rest, will find out tomorrow,

ALSO i am making a model pack featuring many of the shogun models, perhaps the new model pack names can be substituted for the old ones?
    a rough beta of this pack is in the orgs downloads, but it is a little rough, and the "shogun gates" are impassable,
    i HAVE a highly possible fix for the gates and i WILL investigate that tomorrow night.

also could we substitue mtw trees for shogun trees during the conversion process ??

riptga is on it's way,
    sorry i forgot to add that in the file i sent
    The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

Wink

Words cannot express how eager I am to install this Mod. Barocca, you have done a fantastic job ( don't the Shogun units look like they could really do some damage? ) I scanned through these screen shots and I made a mess in my chair
    Somebody mentioned maps....Yes the Shogun Classic maps become a real jumble of tiles...but it only takes a little time to retexture them. I did this with Totomi. Using the MTW/VI engine, does that mean all current maps will be available to use, in MP as well?
    Can you give us a shot of some nice Mongol ponies too plz?

......Orda

Wellington,
    All the province maps I've tried loading work, though those with Shogun models lose them. As Orda Khan says, it is easy to retexture them if you use a little latitude, though you will have to put the models back. I looked at Mikawa, which may be slightly more difficult, but I've done another five before tea:

am_Shogunmaps_v11 and TEST_am_Shogunmaps have ten Shogun maps textured using Medieval tiles.

There's not much doubt about which textures to use, especially as the limited number of tree models means that you have to use tree tiles where possible. Like doing small electronic jigsaws. I could have used a 'barren' texture instead of reusing the same texture as for the hilltops at Higo and Bingo, but I thought it might be better to keep the texture count down.

How do the Medieval previews work?

Quote[/b] (barocca @ Sep. 26 2003,07:50)]
    B,

Ok, I've investigated some more and I'll do a utility (extracted from much of the MTTM stuff) to help with this.

I've got all your E-mails - interesting stuff. The STW TGA (once extracted) turn out to be TGA type 1 (what the f**k ) which is a palletted version of TGA's.

This means there are 4 different types of TGA's used in STW and MTW (1, 2, 9, 10) - good grief

i have asked for a retrieval of a thread from the previous incarnation of the org forums,
    where Kraellin, Glijay and I disected the composition of the STW and MTW maps, i believe RSW also had some input,

if my memory is working the tiles are "flipped" 90 degrees clockwise, meaning a re-orientation would be required, if we can retrieve the thread all that data is in it,

there is also a tilemap i made when the demo was released,
    i am hoping to recover that from the thread also,
    if i cannot then i should be able to find a copy of it here somewhere,
    it will no longer be 100% accurate, new tiles were added for the release, BUT it is a good start,

Dont worry too much about this for now. I understand the MTW maps formats and tile stuff, and it looks like the STW .jjm format is indeed the same.

if my memory is working properly the stw tiles, when imported to mtw are very dark, they also may be blurry,
    it would be preferable to use as many mtw tiles as we can, and perhaps to "touch up" those unique shogun tiles that we feel really need to be ingame,
    providing we keep such a set of tiles down to about 20 or so we may have a workable solution,

There is a good reason for this. MTW tiles are 256x256 true colour TGAs (24-bit), whilst STW tiles are 128x128 8-bit TGAs (colour palettes).

Hence enlarging STW tiles for MTW is not advisable. Not onbly will you lose a little resolution but with only 256 colours in the palette they will indeed look a bit crappy.

The best idea, I think, is to change the STW maps .JJM's tile block data to use the MTW tile sets - thus ensuring good resolution.

This requires a mapping facility which I'll provide as parameters files as input to this utility.

The exact limits of the number of tiles that mtw can store in its folders is also in the old thread i am trying to track down...

this may take a couple of days,
    just got off an eleven hour shift, and have another 10hr shift tomorrow,
    i managed to squeak out of doing seven in a row, but may still have four more after a days rest, will find out tomorrow,

Don't worry about searching for old threads. The MTW tiles are currently up to 181, which is sufficent for mapping the 160 STW tiles to these.

I know your thinking about adding some of the "special" STW tiles to MTW - but I think this would be difficult (due to the 8-bit palettes in STW such different tile sets are just not compatable).

ALSO i am making a model pack featuring many of the shogun models, perhaps the new model pack names can be substituted for the old ones?

Hhhmmm. Maybe. Trouble is this would tricky changing the .JJM in such a manner IF the names had different length (the .JJM block sizes would change and a lot of recalculation may be necessary).

This would be VERY EASY if your new models names where EXACTLY the same length as the original/equivalent STW model names. Thus I could just replace names of models (again via a mapping paraemter file) without having to ceoncern myslef with new lengths of block sizes within the STW JJMs.

also could we substitue mtw trees for shogun trees during the conversion process ??

This is not a problem. Trees in both STW and MTW .jjm maps are identified via a number - not a name, so no probs there.

Welly

Quote[/b] (amagi @ Sep. 26 2003,12:21)]How do the Medieval previews work?
    Hi amagi,

I don't quite understand the question

Quote[/b] ]Wellington :
    ...new models names are(sic) EXACTLY the same length as the original/equivalent STW model names...
    that should be a piece of cake
    in approximately 24 hrs i will be on my "day off" and will attack this problem, also make a shogun gate model that is not impassable i hope
    The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

Hi Wellington,
    By 'previews' I mean whatever the MTW version of the Shogun TGA files is. I made TGAs for the maps I converted following the instructions in the upload guide but they don't work for Medieval which has a view of the map that pans.

I was hoping to manually 'map' the Shogun tiles onto MTW tiles but there were problems with blending the tree tiles. I may have made a mistake, but it seemed easier to change the maps slightly to use an intermediate grass colour.

Cybernetic Samurai Member TenkiSoratoti's Avatar

Major *Bump*, I'm not letting this run away

TP
    "The good fighters of the old first put themselves beyond the possibility of defeat and then waited for an opportunity to defeat the enemy." - Sun Tzu

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

So will this mod run along side Viking Invasion or will in need to install a second VI? I don't mind doing either, just asking.

And congrats on all the hard work you guys are doing.

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

Quote[/b] (amagi @ Sep. 26 2003,16:24)]Hi Wellington,
    By 'previews' I mean whatever the MTW version of the Shogun TGA files is. I made TGAs for the maps I converted following the instructions in the upload guide but they don't work for Medieval which has a view of the map that pans.

I was hoping to manually 'map' the Shogun tiles onto MTW tiles but there were problems with blending the tree tiles. I may have made a mistake, but it seemed easier to change the maps slightly to use an intermediate grass colour.
    Ah ... now I understand.

Your problem is probably related to the fact that SHogun generally used type 1 TGA's (8-bit) whilst Medieval uses type 2's (24-bit). The format's completely different so whatever you are using to convert TGAs maybe does'nt recognise type 1's.

As for tile mappings, I'm currently writing something for Barocca (well thats not exactly true - I'm just more support into MTTM to handle this STW->MTW tile and map conversion) which will be available in around a week or less.

This will allow you to do many things, including what you attempted. One fo the advantages of this tool is that not only can you change tiles to map to the contents of maps, but also the contents of the maps themselves (in other words replace some tile numbers with others actually within the .jjm)

Welly

Any more updates coming soon?

Lancer
    I didn't write criticizing. I wrote criticised. Which is correct, unless you're trying to raise some bizzare nationalist argument; the kind of stupidity requiring some smarts to begin with.

-Unknown Know-it-all

Brillant Absolutly Brilliant Keep Up The Good Work. if it is possible could you polish up the unit pictures when right clicked on to be like the ones in the original STW thanks dessa
    {LORE}
    "It is not the well-being of individuals that makes cities great, but the well-being of the community"- Niccolò Machiavelli.

got a whole swag of portraits into play overnight,
    some transfer accross very nicely, others are a bit pale, plus STW didn't have too many in the first place so we have all had to be a little creative in sourcing them,
    here's some of my favourites generals and daimyo's.

- -

- -

- -

-

:wave:
    The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

The Lordz Modding Collective Senior Member Lord Of Storms's Avatar

Looking good B
    Taking life one day at a time!

Yorkist Senior Member NagatsukaShumi's Avatar

One word for this MOD, AMAZING.

Can't wait to be storming the fields of Japan once again, any plans to add more factions than on Shogun?
    RIP TosaInu
    Ja Mata

Quote[/b] (NagatsukaShumi @ Oct. 03 2003,17:04)]One word for this MOD, AMAZING.

Can't wait to be storming the fields of Japan once again, any plans to add more factions than on Shogun?

yes i have plans for more campaigns with more factions,

a faction by itself takes a fair amount of work,
    making the flags, researching the Daimyo's, generals and characters of note.

So first up i want to get the Sengoku Era into play,
    that will be closely followed by the Mongol Invasions, maybe both of them, but definately the Invasion from the Warlords pack,
    then we will try and get real fancy and add a whole swag of new factions.
    :-)

oh yes,
    campaigns too,
    i'd like to make the Onin War, the Gempei war and the Meiji Restoration campaigns once i get the main Sengoku and Mongol campaigns working
    :-)

The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

Yorkist Senior Member NagatsukaShumi's Avatar

Sounds very good barocca, I look forward to your MOD's release eagerly.
    RIP TosaInu
    Ja Mata

Somewhere between the sink and the toilet

SOunds very promising I always liked the strategic atmosphere of Shogun a lot more than MTW. How will castle siege be handled? Any siege engines this time 'round? My history in that period of time is still hazy...
    WORMS

hi guys,
    i'm a bit tired at the moment,
    been doing a ton of reading to get as many histroical characters as i can into play,
    also made all the building coloured info pics,

am currently fiddling around with the unit info pics,
    then i make the review panel pics and finally the battle card/review pics,
    so here are some samples of what i've been doing with the unit info pics, these are only sample versions, i just happened to have the whole lot in one file for size reference purposes...
    later
    B.
    The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

Hey, can you make a Korean Campaign, in place of the Viking Campaign, to add some flavor, if you will. Looks awsome. Also can you make some plain samurai, armed with only katanas and wahazakis and tantos, this would be like a Kensai but not as powerful.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Somewhere between the sink and the toilet

Everything seems to be shaping up nicely Will any of the unit sizes go up to 200 for the STW units? And how exactly will castle siege be resolved?

I like Marshal Murat's idea of a new "plain" Samurai unit. And believe you me, I think STW is a masterpiece, but I think each clan should get a unique unit. I think this would do away with the "samey" feeling you get when 2 huge Samurai armies do battle. Like Ueusugi Elite Archers/Bowmen, Shimazu Blade Masters or Shimazu Katana Samurai. Or for the Hojo: Imperial Guard or Elite Bushi Infantry.

The enhancments from MTW will definately help. I wonder what provincial titles there will be. And trade and actually building a navy sound promising. I too like Murat's idea of a Korean campaign. But those are just my thoughts. I commend you guys for what yourt doing and I'm eagerly anticipting the end result.
    WORMS

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast