Page 37 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1415

Thread: Medieval: Total War XL

"'elp! I'm bein' repressed!" Senior Member Aenlic's Avatar

Default Re: Medieval: Total War XL

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun
    I have a question -

How do i edit Byzantine Inf to be better? what files dp i mod?

Oh, and about the Latin Mec pikeman, how do you get them?

EDIT - looking at the maps above, i do not seem to have the latest version, where do i get it?
    Hello, Shaun!

I'll try to answer for VH, to save you some time.

Modding unit stats can be a very tricky business. The files you want are the unit_prod11.txt files. The three which control the various eras for the XL games are: MTW_XL_EARLY_UNIT_PROD11.TXT and MTW_XL_HIGH_UNIT_PROD11.TXT and MTW_XL_LATE_UNIT_PROD11.TXT for each respective era.

You'll need a viewer designed to view the unit and building text files. They are delimited text files, and can be viewed with any simple txt file viewer like notepad in Windows. But seeing them in useful columns takes a bit of work. Look up in the Alchemist lab sub-forum for information on how to do that. If you're brave, you can look up VikingHorde's stats for the units in the included Excel file he has in the Total War directory called MTW_XL_Stats.xls and look for line 67. Those are the Byzantine infantry stats, which are unchanged from the original game. Then locate the byzantine infantry section in the unit_prod11 file for the era you want to change, and change the corresponding number. Again, this is very difficult to do unless you have a viewer set up to view this file in the intended columns. Basically, the stats will be somewhere following the name ByzantineInfantry (no spaces). The stats you'll want to play with are: CHARGE_BONUS( 3 ), MELEE_BONUS( 2 ), DEFENCE_BONUS( 2 ), ARMOUR_LEVEL( 3 ), HONOUR_LEVEL( 3 ). But if you make a mistake, which is easy, or a typo, then the game won't load. Modding is fun! Just keep telling yourself that.

The Latin mercenary pikemen are called the Latin Auxilliary units. They're only available in Greece, Constantinople, Nicaea and Lesser Armenia (although not restricted to any particular faction). They will become available to build once you build an Inn and a Spearmaker's Guild in one of those four provinces.

And the maps in the thread above are proposed changes, not in the actual mod itself.

I hope that helps!
    Last edited by Aenlic; 05-31-2006 at 12:29.
    "Dee dee dee!" - Annoymous (the "differently challenged" and much funnier twin of Anonymous)

Thanks fot the help.

I have found the files, but in the Alchemist sub forum there is no information on how to out all the text into useul columns, and i also cannot find the MTW_XL_Stats.xls file, please help?

EDIT- my version doesnt have the Latin Auxilluary units! and i cant seem to install the 2.1 patch, please help. maybe i didnt DL it correctly, how big should the 2.1 patch be?
    Last edited by Shaun; 06-01-2006 at 16:52.

I'm using the full version, Shaun. Maybe the Excel spreadsheet isn't in the smaller version? It's in the 140Mb version plus the 2.1 patch for the large version for sure. It really isn't all that necessary. It just puts the information in the _unit_prod11.txt files into an easier format for viewing what changes VH made to each, if any. The real changes are all done in the .txt files themselves.

You might need to do a clean install. That means starting from a clean and complete installation of MTW:VI patched to version 2.1 and then installing the XL mod and then the XL 2.1 patch - in exactly that order.

For the file editor, look for the Dragon MTW editor, there should be a stickied thread for it in the Apothecary; and I think there's another one called Hedges MTW editor. You'll have to play around with them to make sure that everything loaded from the _unit_prod11.txt and _build_prod13.txt files are in the proper columns. Once you get it all set up, then you can resave it and it'll load properly from then on, making it much easier to modify the stats for units and buildings.

You should have LatinAuxillaries (make sure the spelling is exact) with no space between Latin and Auxillaries. Then use the find function in a simple text viewer to find it. The line is about 2/3 of the way into the file, between the klibanophoroi and the dejma infantry.

Good luck.
    "Dee dee dee!" - Annoymous (the "differently challenged" and much funnier twin of Anonymous)

I just noticed that i am using the 2.0 beta, maybe thats why. But even the beta is still 200mb+(when unzipped).

Oh, and i cant seem to Download the full version or the patch.

Not sure how to help there, Shaun.

I'm not a big fan of 3Ddownloads. It sometimes takes two or three tries to get a download to work properly. I've always had my best luck at odd hours, which works out to some time in the morning your time.

One thing to do first is make sure you have a completely clean install. What I do is the following:

Uninstall MTW completely. This won't delete everything in the folder, though. Uninstall won't delete any mod files. So after the uninstall, find the Total War folder and delete it.

Install MTW, then MTW:VI, then download the 2.01 patch from totalwar.com.

Now that you have a clean install copy your entire Total War folder and paste it back. Now you'll have a Total War folder (in Windows it'll be in the Program files directory) and a Copy of Total War. Rename the copy to something like Total War Backup. If you have the disk space, do it a second time. You should now have three exact copies of the patched 2.01 version of MTW:VI, with the copies named something you'll remember. Rename the extra copy something like Total War MyMod. The game automatically makes a shortcut on your desktop for the main folder. Create shortcuts of the .exe files in the two extra copy's folders, one for each of the copies and name them the same as the folder - for example, TW Backup and TW MyMod.

Now whenever you download a mod, it will automatically modify the main Total War copy. You still have two clean copies in case something goes wrong; so all you have to do is delete the Total War folder (which is the one which is usually the default mod version) and then rename one of the clean copies to just Total War and you're back to clean.

After you've done all this, download XL large version and install it. Then download the version 2 patch to XL. You'll now have XL installed in the main Total War folder, and two clean copies of an unmodded version named something else.

When you make changes from that point on, make them to your 3rd version, the one I suggested naming Total War MyMod. This way, if you make a mistake and can't find it, you can always just delete the entire Total War MyMod version, then copy Total War Backup again and rename the copy back Total War MyMod. This way you can experiment, which is always the best way to learn how to mod the files; but you'll still have clean copies of the unmodded game and the XL mod to play and examine.

If VH checks in soon, maybe he can offer some suggestions on the downloading part.

And welcome to main cause of premature balding in the gamer population! Modding!

Oh, and in case it isn't obvious, the system works perfectly for having more than one mod at a time. After downloading a Total War mod, just rename the Total War folder to the mod name or something equally memorable, fix the desktop shortcut so it points to the renamed folder, and rename the short cut to the mod name. Now rename a backup copy of Total War to Total War, making sure you still have an extra clean version named something else, and you can download another mod. Once the mod is installed, repeat the renaming of folder and shortcut. You can have as many mods as you have disk space for, this way; and as long as you always remember to keep a backup copy of the patched 2.01 version of Total War in a renamed folder, you can add more or replace them with the clean version if a problem appears. I have XL, BKB, MedMod, my own fledgling mod, the Italian Peninsula mod, and Pike and Musket all on my system, along with a clean unmodded version and a backup.
    Last edited by Aenlic; 06-03-2006 at 02:10.

Well thanks for all the advice, but there is still 1 problem. I cannot find the dragon MTW editor, or infact the apothecry, and i have done a search for them.

Well, silly me. My apologies. I meant to say Alchemist's Lab, not apothecary. The Alchemist Lab is one of the other sub-forums here in the MTW Modification section. The Dragon Editor has its own thread in that forum here, and there should be a link, hopefully working, to the editor in the first post.

Thanks for the speedy reply. I have got the editor now, and am away to start modding!

That's great news! Enjoy. Just remember to take things one small step at a time. Make a backup copy of the file you're changing before you make a change. Then make the change, check it for typos, check it for typos again, just to be sure check it for typos again (you'll really kick yourself after you see some of the right in plain sight typos that are going to make you pull your hair out in clumps), then load the game and see if it runs and the changes took. If it doesn't run, go back and start over from your last backup of the file. You'll save yourself lots of frustration by taking the time to do this. If you make multiple changes and the game won't start, then it's much harder to locate the problem. Small steps make for easier debugging.

Well thanks for all the advice, but 1 more thing, i dont really have a clue where to start with the Dragon editor.

Hi guys, after two weeks torturing myself with the economic system of Rome TW I come back to MTW_XL (home, sweet home!). Well, I've finished the work about the Byzantines. It includes a reworked list of famous kings (emperors in this case) and a complete new listing of names. The original game uses Byzantine names in its Latin version, however this people didn't speak Latin but Greek. Therefore I've collected Byzantine historical names properly translitered from its Greek forms. In relation to the famous emperors I did a significant change. In the original game the Byzantines begin the high period with Constantine XI, who in fact was a puppet emperor briefly appointed by the Latins of the 4th Crusade, and the historians don't reckon him among the Byzantine emperors. So I've substituted him for Theodoros I who founded the Empire of Nicaea, the Byzantine state which eventually recovered Constantinople in 1261.

FAMOUS_KINGS:: FN_BYZANTINE 8
    //name no. c d p a portrait vnv
    0, 1, 4, 5, 4, 5, -1, defender2
    2, 2, 4, 3, 5, 3, -1, fearsome1
    3, 1, 4, 3, 3, 4, -1, charismatic1
    1, 1, 2, 5, 2, 5, -1, tyrant3
    5, 1, 3, 3, 4, 4, -1, defender1
    2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, -1, builderking3
    6, 8, 4, 5, 2, 5, -1, smarttalker1
    1, 2, 1, 2, 5, 5, -1, pious2

//Byzantine famous emperors:
    //Alexios I Komnenos (r. 1081-1118); an experienced military leader, founded the Comnenian dynasty and drove back the invading Normans, Pechenegs, and Seljuks. Restored Byzantine military power and political prestige, protected the Orthodox church, and faced with the presence of the 1st Crusade. Granted valuable commercial privileges to Venice.
    //Ioannes II Komnenos (r. 1118-43); austere and respected emperor, spent most of his reign with his troops. His attempts to cancel the Venetian commercial privileges were unsuccessful, but his campaigns against the Hungarians, Serbs, and Pechenegs were victorious. Checked growing Sicilian Norman power, and reconquered Cilicia from the Armenians (1137).
    //Manuel I Komnenos (r. 1143-80); charismatic emperor. Fought against the Sicilian Normans, reasserted his authority over the Crusader States (1158-59), and extended his influence among the Hungarians and Serbs, adding Dalmatia, Croatia, and Bosnia to the empire (1167). However was defeated in a crushing manner by the Seljuks at Myriocephalon (1176).
    //Andronikos I Komnenos (r. 1183-85); cruel and severe emperor, seized power causing a massacre of Westerners in Constantinople. Nevertheless was a competent ruler who reformed the government and asserted the independence of the Orthodox church. News of a rapid Sicilian Norman invasion led to a revolt, in which was tortured to death by the rabble.
    //Theodoros I Laskaris (r. 1204-22); 1st emperor of Nicaea, the Byzantine government-in-exile during the Latins' occupation of Constantinople. Distinguished himself during the sieges of Constantinople in the 4th Crusade (1203–04). After the capital fell, formed a new Byzantine state at Nicaea and successfully defended it against the Latins and Seljuks.
    //Ioannes III Doukas Vatatzes (r. 1222-54); successor and son-in-law of Theodoros I. Extended his territory in Asia Minor and the Aegean islands but unsuccessfully besieged Constantinople (1235). Annexed Thessalonika in 1246 and reduced the despotat of Epirus to vassalage. During his reign the empire flourished; venerated by his people, was canonized.
    //Michael VIII Palaiologos (r. 1261-82); founder of the Palaeologan dynasty, recovered Constantinople from the Latins (1261) and allied with the pope, briefly reuniting Greek and Roman churches (Council of Lyon, 1274). Successfully defended the empire against the expansionist policy of Charles I of Anjou, king of Naples and Sicily. Distinguished for his diplomatic skills.
    //Andronikos II Palaiologos (r. 1282-1328); an intellectual and theologian rather than a soldier and statesman, during his reign the Ottomans took most of Asia Minor, and Serbs dominated the Balkans. Despite the rising political disorder, promoted Byzantine art and the independence of the Orthodox church. Deposed by his grandson Andronikos III, entered a monastery.

//SetStartLeader:: FN_BYZANTINE 0 8 1 0 1 0 1 0 7 10 //Early Startpos
    //SetStartLeader:: FN_BYZANTINE 4 8 5 1 2 1 2 1 7 10 //High Startpos
    //SetStartLeader:: FN_BYZANTINE 7 8 5 2 4 1 2 2 8 10 //Late Startpos

// 6: byzantine_forenames
    ADD_FORENAMES::
    "Alexios"
    "Andronikos"
    "Ioannes"
    "Manuel"
    "Isaakios"
    "Theodoros"
    "Michael"
    "Konstantinos"
    "Alexandros"
    "Bardas"
    "Bartolomaios"
    "Basileios"
    "Christophoros"
    "Demetrios"
    "Dionysios"
    "Eumathios"
    "Gabriel"
    "Georgios"
    "Gerasimos"
    "Gregorios"
    "Iakobos"
    "Ionnikios"
    "Kassianos"
    "Laonikos"
    "Leon"
    "Leontios"
    "Loukas"
    "Makarios"
    "Markos"
    "Matthaios"
    "Meletios"
    "Neilos"
    "Neophytos"
    "Nikephoros"
    "Niketas"
    "Nikodemos"
    "Nikolaos"
    "Pantoleon"
    "Petros"
    "Philaretos"
    "Philippos"
    "Romanos"
    "Sabas"
    "Stephanos"
    "Tatikios"
    "Theodosios"
    "Theodoulos"
    "Thomas"

// 5: byzantine_surnames
    ADD_SURNAMES::
    "Komnenos"
    "Akropolites"
    "Angelos"
    "Apokaukos"
    "Argyros"
    "Bekkos"
    "Boradiotes"
    "Botaneiates"
    "Boutoumites"
    "Brachamios"
    "Branas"
    "Bryennios"
    "Choniates"
    "Dalassenos"
    "Doukeianos"
    "Doukas"
    "Doxopatres"
    "Gabras"
    "Kalamanos"
    "Kamateros"
    "Kantakouzenos"
    "Keroularios"
    "Kinnamos"
    "Kontostephanos"
    "Kourkouas"
    "Laskaris"
    "Makrembolites"
    "Maniakes"
    "Melissenos"
    "Monastras"
    "Mourtzouphlos"
    "Orphanotrophos"
    "Ouranos"
    "Pakourianos"
    "Palaiologos"
    "Palamas"
    "Philokales"
    "Phokas"
    "Psellos"
    "Radenos"
    "Skleros"
    "Spartenos"
    "Sphrantzes"
    "Strabomytes"
    "Tarchaneiotes"
    "Tornikes"
    "Tzimiskes"
    "Vatatzes"

//New Byzantine forenames
    ["Alexios"] {"Alexios"}
    ["Andronikos"] {"Andronikos"}
    ["Ioannes"] {"Ioannes"}
    ["Manuel"] {"Manuel"}
    ["Isaakios"] {"Isaakios"}
    ["Theodoros"] {"Theodoros"}
    ["Michael"] {"Michael"}
    ["Konstantinos"] {"Konstantinos"}
    ["Alexandros"] {"Alexandros"}
    ["Bardas"] {"Bardas"}
    ["Bartolomaios"] {"Bartolomaios"}
    ["Basileios"] {"Basileios"}
    ["Christophoros"] {"Christophoros"}
    ["Demetrios"] {"Demetrios"}
    ["Dionysios"] {"Dionysios"}
    ["Eumathios"] {"Eumathios"}
    ["Gabriel"] {"Gabriel"}
    ["Georgios"] {"Georgios"}
    ["Gerasimos"] {"Gerasimos"}
    ["Gregorios"] {"Gregorios"}
    ["Iakobos"] {"Iakobos"}
    ["Ionnikios"] {"Ionnikios"}
    ["Kassianos"] {"Kassianos"}
    ["Laonikos"] {"Laonikos"}
    ["Leon"] {"Leon"}
    ["Leontios"] {"Leontios"}
    ["Loukas"] {"Loukas"}
    ["Makarios"] {"Makarios"}
    ["Markos"] {"Markos"}
    ["Matthaios"] {"Matthaios"}
    ["Meletios"] {"Meletios"}
    ["Neilos"] {"Neilos"}
    ["Neophytos"] {"Neophytos"}
    ["Nikephoros"] {"Nikephoros"}
    ["Niketas"] {"Niketas"}
    ["Nikodemos"] {"Nikodemos"}
    ["Nikolaos"] {"Nikolaos"}
    ["Pantoleon"] {"Pantoleon"}
    ["Petros"] {"Petros"}
    ["Philaretos"] {"Philaretos"}
    ["Philippos"] {"Philippos"}
    ["Romanos"] {"Romanos"}
    ["Sabas"] {"Sabas"}
    ["Stephanos"] {"Stephanos"}
    ["Tatikios"] {"Tatikios"}
    ["Theodosios"] {"Theodosios"}
    ["Theodoulos"] {"Theodoulos"}
    ["Thomas"] {"Thomas"}

//New Byzantine surnames
    ["Komnenos"] {"Komnenos"}
    ["Akropolites"] {"Akropolites"}
    ["Angelos"] {"Angelos"}
    ["Apokaukos"] {"Apokaukos"}
    ["Argyros"] {"Argyros"}
    ["Bekkos"] {"Bekkos"}
    ["Boradiotes"] {"Boradiotes"}
    ["Botaneiates"] {"Botaneiates"}
    ["Boutoumites"] {"Boutoumites"}
    ["Brachamios"] {"Brachamios"}
    ["Branas"] {"Branas"}
    ["Bryennios"] {"Bryennios"}
    ["Choniates"] {"Choniates"}
    ["Dalassenos"] {"Dalassenos"}
    ["Doukeianos"] {"Doukeianos"}
    ["Doukas"] {"Doukas"}
    ["Doxopatres"] {"Doxopatres"}
    ["Gabras"] {"Gabras"}
    ["Kalamanos"] {"Kalamanos"}
    ["Kamateros"] {"Kamateros"}
    ["Kantakouzenos"] {"Kantakouzenos"}
    ["Keroularios"] {"Keroularios"}
    ["Kinnamos"] {"Kinnamos"}
    ["Kontostephanos"] {"Kontostephanos"}
    ["Kourkouas"] {"Kourkouas"}
    ["Laskaris"] {"Laskaris"}
    ["Makrembolites"] {"Makrembolites"}
    ["Maniakes"] {"Maniakes"}
    ["Melissenos"] {"Melissenos"}
    ["Monastras"] {"Monastras"}
    ["Mourtzouphlos"] {"Mourtzouphlos"}
    ["Orphanotrophos"] {"Orphanotrophos"}
    ["Ouranos"] {"Ouranos"}
    ["Pakourianos"] {"Pakourianos"}
    ["Palaiologos"] {"Palaiologos"}
    ["Palamas"] {"Palamas"}
    ["Philokales"] {"Philokales"}
    ["Phokas"] {"Phokas"}
    ["Psellos"] {"Psellos"}
    ["Radenos"] {"Radenos"}
    ["Skleros"] {"Skleros"}
    ["Spartenos"] {"Spartenos"}
    ["Sphrantzes"] {"Sphrantzes"}
    ["Strabomytes"] {"Strabomytes"}
    ["Tarchaneiotes"] {"Tarchaneiotes"}
    ["Tornikes"] {"Tornikes"}
    ["Tzimiskes"] {"Tzimiskes"}
    ["Vatatzes"] {"Vatatzes"}

Nice stuff Belisario, I will soon need to start adding the info to the mod (good thing I soon get some time off from work). It would be cool to release the patch this summer, also to finish work on the XL mod

MTW XL version 3.0 out now! Get it here:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=31201

Hi VH it's been a while since I posted but I've got a question for you regarding starting dates. I've been editing data in the startpos text files to make the game harder more money to the other factions, adding extra trade goods to regions and turning every fort into a keep.

I also tired starting the early period in 1067 rather than 1087, Playing the Byz's I wanted more time to build those early units. Two things I noticed were that GA points dates were only listed for late period dates 1321 onward no 1100 or 1125. Yet I still got points at the correct times. The other thing was I got a historical event pop up for the doomsday book in 1086 which I have never seen before. Have you ever had any of these things happen?

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

A couple of things I noticed happening at least twice, in the late period:

- crusaders die off due to no heirs relatively early in the campaign
    - Papacy runs over the entirety of northern Italy
    - Portugal expands into Egypt
    - Serbia tends to get quickly crushed by Hungaria

since MTW has faction reemergences, it's not a big issue but still I think it would be better to beef up these factions except Portugal a wee tiny bit to produce some more randomness.

I've had almost the exact opposite happen to me in high era XL games, Kralizec.

In my games, the Crusaders almost always end up owning everything from Egypt to Constantinople and often parts of the steppes by the time of the Mongol appearance, when I'm playing a western faction. It seems to depend quite a lot on who attacks first. Once, while playing England and engaged in a nasty set of wars with France and the HRE, I suddenly found my sea lanes occupied by brown ships. It seems that the Ayyubids, Seljuks, Crusaders and Byzantines wore themselves out on each other leaving the Armenians alone. When I looked at the entire map, using -ian, the Armenians had stamped out the Mongols, taken control of all of the steppes, the Middle East and Africa and were working their way up Spain. It was hilarious. Especially considering that whenever I try to play as the Armenians, everyone and their grandmother gangs up on me.

In Italy, the Papacy is usually taken down quite early by the Genoese or the Sicilians and in one game even the Serbs who invaded southern Italy and ended up owning the entire peninsula. The Serbs almost always beat the crap out of the Hungarians and take then either go west to Italy or east to the Pontic steppes.

I agree that Portugal often does well, depending on how the Castille-Leonese, Aragon, Almohad fights shape up. However, most of the time in my high era games, especially when I'm playing a faction off to the east somewhere, I end up discovering that the Almohads have taken all of Spain, most of France and once even found them controlling all of the British Isles and working on Scandinavia, while I was off fighting the eastern factions and then the Mongols.

It all seems to be based on what happens in those first few turns of war. Who attacks whom at the very beginning determines the entire rest of the game. At least for me.
    Last edited by Aenlic; 06-27-2006 at 00:11.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen even half the things you mentioned, Aenlic. In my games, the Armenians always get squashed (whether it's Early or High); and the Crusaders usually get stalemated by the Seljuks and Ayyubids, and are often driven back to Cyprus.

On the other hand, I *have* seen the Portuguese do very well, to the extent they even sometimes take over the Iberian peninsula. As you said, it really depends on how the 3-way war goes between Aragon, Castille-Leon, and the Almoravids. And like you, I've also seen the Caliphate dominate western Europe fairly often. (In fact, they've already wiped out the Iberian factions in my current Sicilian campaign!) It's been nice to see the Almos make a partial return to their old "Mean Orange Machine" days of the original MTW.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Hi VikingHorde! Step by step I continue my task in the mod. I've just finished a work about the Serbs which as usual includes famous kings, heroes, and even a new listing of names. I've only found twelve outstanding Serb heroes; but if I find more in my searchs I post them here.

FAMOUS_KINGS:: FN_SERBS 8
    //name no. c d p a portrait vnv
    0, 1, 2, 3, 3, 3, -1, defender1
    1, 1, 4, 3, 5, 4, -1, pious4
    2, 1, 3, 3, 5, 4, -1, zealot1
    3, 1, 2, 2, 5, 5, -1, farmerking2
    5, 1, 4, 3, 5, 5, -1, builderking3
    3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 3, -1, captured1
    6, 1, 5, 4, 5, 5, -1, mightywarrior2
    7, 1, 2, 3, 5, 3, -1, charismatic1

//Serb famous kings:
    //Vukan (Grand Zupan, r. 1083-1122); grand chieftain of the Serb region of Raska, managed - through a combination of military actions and diplomacy - to resist the Byzantines, occassionally expanding to the south and east.
    //Stefan Nemanja (Grand Zupan, r. 1168-96); founder of the Nemanjic dynasty and unifier of all Serbian lands; grand chieftain of the Serb region of Raska under Byzantine suzerainty until 1185. After expanding and unifying Serbian territory, abdicated in 1196 and entered a monastery. Erected the Hilandar and Studenica monasteries.
    //Stefan I Prvovencani (Grand Zupan and king, r. 1196-1227); the first Serbian king in Raska (crowned 1217), thus called "Prvovencani" (the First-Crowned). Fought wars against Bulgarians, Hungarians, and Byzantines, elevated Serbia to the status of kingdom, and helped his brother, Saint Sava, to obtain the autonomy of the Serbian Orthodox church (1219).
    //Stefan Uros I (King, r. 1243-76); king with good administrative skills, favoured a strong central government, opened mines, granted benefits to coastal towns which developed trade, and erected churches and monasteries. However unsuccessfully attacked the Hungarians. Deposed by his son Stefan Dragutin.
    //Stefan Uros II Milutin (King, r. 1282-1321); the "Holy King Uros", made Serbia the leading power in the Balkans. Took substantial territory in Macedonia from Byzantium, and established the Serb court at Skopje. Developed mining resources exploitation and trade. Erected numerous monasteries, churches, and hospitals.
    //Stefan Uros III Decanski (King, r. 1322-31); blinded and exiled (1314-20) after rebelling against his father, Stefan Uros II; later showed he was not blind, claiming a miraculous cure, and was made king. Expanded Serbia eastward and defeated the Bulgarians at the Battle of Velbuzd (1330) before being dethroned by his son, Stefan Dusan. Erected the Decani monastery, thus called "Decanski" (of Decani).
    //Stefan Uros IV Dusan (King and tsar, r. 1331-55); the greatest ruler of medieval Serbia, remembered as "Dusan Silni" (Dusan the Mighty). Conquered Albania, Macedonia, Epirus, and Thessaly. Crowned himself "Emperor and Autocrat of the Serbs, Greeks, Bulgarians, and Albanians" (Skopje, 1346). Reformed the administration on the Byzantine model and introduced a law code ("Dusanov Zakonik", 1349).
    //Lazar I Hrebljanovic (Prince, r. 1371-1389); the "Holy Prince Lazar", after the collapse of the Serbian empire emerged as key ruler in central Serbia, officially crowned as "Lord of the Serbs and the Danube, Stefan Prince Lazar, autocrat of all the Serbs" (1378). Led the Serbian army at the Battle of Kosovo (1389) where he was captured by the Ottomans and beheaded. Became a mythical figure among the people who named him "Tsar Lazar".

//SetStartLeader:: FN_SERBS 0 1 1 //Early Startpos
    //SetStartLeader:: FN_SERBS 2 3 1 1 1 //High Startpos
    //SetStartLeader:: FN_SERBS 5 6 1 1 2 3 1 1 //Late Startpos

FAMOUS_HEROES:: FN_SERBS 12
    //hero name date, c, d, p, a, l, v, TYPE ID_REGION PORTRAIT
    "Pope", "Dukljanin", 1140, 1, 0, 4, 4, 5, no_v, PRIEST, ID_LIMBO, -1 //Anonymous priest of Bar; author of the "Chronicle of Pope Dukljanin", a history of the Serb region of Zeta dating from the 12th century; date a guess.
    "Archbishop", "Sava", 1174, 2, 1, 7, 5, 9, pious4, PRIEST, ID_LIMBO, -1 //"Saint Sava"; monk, founder, and first archbishop of the independent Serbian Orthodox church; ensured the adherence of Serbian Christianity to Eastern Orthodoxy; died 1237.
    "Fra Vito", "Kotoranin", 1285, 1, 1, 4, 3, 7, no_v, EMISSARY, ID_LIMBO, -1 //Master from Kotor, in the Serb region of Zeta; painted the endowment of king Stefan Uros III Decanski, the monastery of Visoki Decani; date a guess.
    "Archbishop", "Danilo", 1290, 1, 0, 5, 5, 6, educated1, PRIEST, ID_LIMBO, -1 //Archbishop, 1324-37; diplomat and statesman, famous biographer of Serbian kings and archbishops; date a guess.
    "Jovan", "Oliver", 1300, 4, 3, 4, 4, 8, smarttalker1, GENERAL, ID_LIMBO, -1 //Despot, 1341-63; experienced military commander and skilled diplomat; right-hand man of Tsar Stefan Dusan, elevated to the second-ranking office of Despot; date a guess.
    "Patriarch", "Joanikije", 1305, 1, 1, 6, 3, 7, pious2, PRIEST, ID_LIMBO, -1 //Archbishop, 1337-54, and first patriarch of Serbia; crowned Stefan Dusan as Emperor of Serbs and Greeks (Skopje, 1346); date a guess.
    "Vukasin", "Mrnjavcevic", 1320, 3, 5, 4, 3, 4, mightywarrior1, GENERAL, ID_LIMBO, -1 //Serb nobleman; crowned by Tsar Uros V as king of Macedonia (1366-71) and made co-ruler with great independence. Moved east to pre-empt Ottoman advance, but was defeated and killed at the Battle of Marica, 1371.
    "Jovan", "Ugljesa", 1325, 2, 4, 4, 4, 5, farmer1, GENERAL, ID_LIMBO, -1 //Despot, Vukasin's brother; able governor and diplomat in his Serres region which actually expanded and firmly administered its mixed Greek and Slavic populations; killed at the Battle of Marica, 1371.
    "Vuk", "Brankovic", 1330, 3, 4, 4, 3, 3, defender1, GENERAL, ID_LIMBO, -1 //Serb nobleman; commanded the left flank of the Serbian army at the Battle of Kosovo (1389); after the Ottomans captured Prince Lazar I decided to retreat in order to save the army and continued with the defense of southern Serbia; however, the Serbian epic poetry portrayed him as a traitor; died 1397.
    "Marko", "Kraljevic", 1335, 2, 5, 5, 2, 4, mightywarrior3, GENERAL, ID_LIMBO, -1 //Vukasin's son, ruled in Macedonia as an Ottoman vassal, 1371-95; became the supreme hero in the Serbian epic poetry, portrayed as brave, strong, fair, chivalrous, and pious; died fighting at the Battle of Rovine, 1395.
    "Vlatko", "Vukovic", 1340, 4, 5, 3, 2, 5, courageous1, GENERAL, ID_LIMBO, -1 //Voivode of Hum (Hercegovina) under Bosnian King Tvrtko I; fierce military commander, beat an Ottoman raid in 1388 and commanded the Bosnian forces that fought alongside Serb Prince Lazar I at the Battle of Kosovo, 1389; died 1392.
    "Milos", "Obilic", 1350, 2, 5, 5, 2, 6, killer1, GENERAL, ID_LIMBO, -1 //Serb knight; a hero in the Serbian epic poetry, killed the Ottoman Sultan Murad I at the Battle of Kosovo, 1389; date a guess.

// 29: serb_forenames
    ADD_FORENAMES::
    "Vukan"
    "Nemanja"
    "Stefan"
    "Uros"
    "Dragutin"
    "Milutin"
    "Dusan"
    "Lazar"
    "Andrija"
    "Balsa"
    "Bodin"
    "Caslav"
    "Desa"
    "Dimitrije"
    "Djordje"
    "Djuradj"
    "Dobroslav"
    "Gradinja"
    "Grubesa"
    "Ilija"
    "Jovan"
    "Kocopar"
    "Konstantin"
    "Marko"
    "Mihailo"
    "Milos"
    "Miroslav"
    "Mutimir"
    "Nikola"
    "Oliver"
    "Petar"
    "Petrislav"
    "Prosigoj"
    "Radic"
    "Radoslav"
    "Rastko"
    "Sinisa"
    "Stracimir"
    "Tihomir"
    "Ugljesa"
    "Vladimir"
    "Vladislav"
    "Vlastimir"
    "Vojislav"
    "Vuk"
    "Vukasin"
    "Zaharije"
    "Zavida"

// 23: serb_surnames
    ADD_SURNAMES::
    "Nemanjic"
    "Altomanovic"
    "Balsic"
    "Berislavic"
    "Boljevic"
    "Brankovic"
    "Branovic"
    "Celnik"
    "Cetinjski"
    "Crnojevic"
    "Decanski"
    "Dejanovic"
    "Dolic"
    "Dukljanin"
    "Gojnikovic"
    "Grgurevic"
    "Hrebljanovic"
    "Ilijic"
    "Klonimirovic"
    "Kotoranin"
    "Kotromanic"
    "Kraljevic"
    "Kratovac"
    "Lazarevic"
    "Molcalnik"
    "Mrnjavcevic"
    "Mutimirovic"
    "Nejaki"
    "Nenad"
    "Novi"
    "Obilic"
    "Ostroski"
    "Pavlovic"
    "Preljubovic"
    "Pribisavljevic"
    "Prvovencani"
    "Scepcevic"
    "Silni"
    "Slepi"
    "Stiljanovic"
    "Stracimirovic"
    "Tomasevic"
    "Urosevic"
    "Vlastimirovic"
    "Vojinovic"
    "Vojislavljevic"
    "Vrancic"
    "Zmaj Ognjeni"

//New Serb forenames
    ["Vukan"] {"Vukan"}
    ["Nemanja"] {"Nemanja"}
    ["Stefan"] {"Stefan"}
    ["Uros"] {"Uros"}
    ["Dragutin"] {"Dragutin"}
    ["Milutin"] {"Milutin"}
    ["Dusan"] {"Dusan"}
    ["Lazar"] {"Lazar"}
    ["Andrija"] {"Andrija"}
    ["Balsa"] {"Balsa"}
    ["Bodin"] {"Bodin"}
    ["Caslav"] {"Caslav"}
    ["Desa"] {"Desa"}
    ["Dimitrije"] {"Dimitrije"}
    ["Djordje"] {"Djordje"}
    ["Djuradj"] {"Djuradj"}
    ["Dobroslav"] {"Dobroslav"}
    ["Gradinja"] {"Gradinja"}
    ["Grubesa"] {"Grubesa"}
    ["Ilija"] {"Ilija"}
    ["Jovan"] {"Jovan"}
    ["Kocopar"] {"Kocopar"}
    ["Konstantin"] {"Konstantin"}
    ["Marko"] {"Marko"}
    ["Mihailo"] {"Mihailo"}
    ["Milos"] {"Milos"}
    ["Miroslav"] {"Miroslav"}
    ["Mutimir"] {"Mutimir"}
    ["Nikola"] {"Nikola"}
    ["Oliver"] {"Oliver"}
    ["Petar"] {"Petar"}
    ["Petrislav"] {"Petrislav"}
    ["Prosigoj"] {"Prosigoj"}
    ["Radic"] {"Radic"}
    ["Radoslav"] {"Radoslav"}
    ["Rastko"] {"Rastko"}
    ["Sinisa"] {"Sinisa"}
    ["Stracimir"] {"Stracimir"}
    ["Tihomir"] {"Tihomir"}
    ["Ugljesa"] {"Ugljesa"}
    ["Vladimir"] {"Vladimir"}
    ["Vladislav"] {"Vladislav"}
    ["Vlastimir"] {"Vlastimir"}
    ["Vojislav"] {"Vojislav"}
    ["Vuk"] {"Vuk"}
    ["Vukasin"] {"Vukasin"}
    ["Zaharije"] {"Zaharije"}
    ["Zavida"] {"Zavida"}

//New Serb surnames
    ["Nemanjic"] {"Nemanjic"}
    ["Altomanovic"] {"Altomanovic"}
    ["Balsic"] {"Balsic"}
    ["Berislavic"] {"Berislavic"}
    ["Boljevic"] {"Boljevic"}
    ["Brankovic"] {"Brankovic"}
    ["Branovic"] {"Branovic"}
    ["Celnik"] {"Celnik"}
    ["Cetinjski"] {"Cetinjski"}
    ["Crnojevic"] {"Crnojevic"}
    ["Decanski"] {"Decanski"}
    ["Dejanovic"] {"Dejanovic"}
    ["Dolic"] {"Dolic"}
    ["Dukljanin"] {"Dukljanin"}
    ["Gojnikovic"] {"Gojnikovic"}
    ["Grgurevic"] {"Grgurevic"}
    ["Hrebljanovic"] {"Hrebljanovic"}
    ["Ilijic"] {"Ilijic"}
    ["Klonimirovic"] {"Klonimirovic"}
    ["Kotoranin"] {"Kotoranin"}
    ["Kotromanic"] {"Kotromanic"}
    ["Kraljevic"] {"Kraljevic"}
    ["Kratovac"] {"Kratovac"}
    ["Lazarevic"] {"Lazarevic"}
    ["Molcalnik"] {"Molcalnik"}
    ["Mrnjavcevic"] {"Mrnjavcevic"}
    ["Mutimirovic"] {"Mutimirovic"}
    ["Nejaki"] {"Nejaki"}
    ["Nenad"] {"Nenad"}
    ["Novi"] {"Novi"}
    ["Obilic"] {"Obilic"}
    ["Ostroski"] {"Ostroski"}
    ["Pavlovic"] {"Pavlovic"}
    ["Preljubovic"] {"Preljubovic"}
    ["Pribisavljevic"] {"Pribisavljevic"}
    ["Prvovencani"] {"Prvovencani"}
    ["Scepcevic"] {"Scepcevic"}
    ["Silni"] {"Silni"}
    ["Slepi"] {"Slepi"}
    ["Stiljanovic"] {"Stiljanovic"}
    ["Stracimirovic"] {"Stracimirovic"}
    ["Tomasevic"] {"Tomasevic"}
    ["Urosevic"] {"Urosevic"}
    ["Vlastimirovic"] {"Vlastimirovic"}
    ["Vojinovic"] {"Vojinovic"}
    ["Vojislavljevic"] {"Vojislavljevic"}
    ["Vrancic"] {"Vrancic"}
    ["Zmaj Ognjeni"] {"Zmaj Ognjeni"}

//Serb heroes
    ["Pope"] {"Pope"}
    ["Archbishop"] {"Archbishop"}
    ["Sava"] {"Sava"}
    ["Fra Vito"] {"Fra Vito"}
    ["Danilo"] {"Danilo"}
    ["Patriarch"] {"Patriarch"}
    ["Joanikije"] {"Joanikije"}
    ["Vlatko"] {"Vlatko"}
    ["Vukovic"] {"Vukovic"}

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

A slight unit ballancing issue: in normal MTW and also in XL vanilla pikemen are way to weak. In custom battles they require lots of upgrades to be somewhat reliable, and then they're not cost-effective. Chivalric sergeants, Italian infantry and order foot soldiers are much better despite being normal spear units.
    Any tactical approach relying on pikemen is asking for disaster unless you're using Swiss pikemen, wich are hard to come by but can easily ensure victory once you train vast amounts of them.
    Sure vanilla pikemen shouldn't be extraordinary fighters but they should at least be able to repel swordsmen from the front if their formation holds and their flanks are covered, as it is they fail to do that.
    Proposed change: increase defense by +2 points (not the armour value though) and morale by +1. Another way to help them in campaign mode is to lower their required building upgrade by one. That will make them more accesible, and if you upgrade to the county militia you get +1 valour for them.

I looked forward to using them in my Crusader kingdom campaign (wich is a cool action btw), but because I'm only beginning with MTW again after not having played for so long I forgot how much they suck I'm going to edit the stats myself for personal use, but I thought I should share my views.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

I agree with Kralizec, I've exprienced simillar troubles using pikemen.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

@Third spearman from the left
    I have never editted the startdate, because I don't know if the GA mode will go bad. I have never seen the "Doomsday book" event, but it sounds cool.

@Kralizec
    I have often seen Portugal get crushed in my game and the Palpacy does not do much. I think it's pretty random who lives and who dies, but I am keping my eyes open.
    I will check out the pikemen and see what happens. They might need some editing

@Belisario
    Nice stuff, don't know were you get all that info . It's damm hot in Denmark right now, the heat is killing me . I hope to spend some more time on modding soon, so that all the stuff can be added to the game.

MTW XL version 3.0 out now! Get it here:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=31201

Quote Originally Posted by Kralizec
    A slight unit ballancing issue: in normal MTW and also in XL vanilla pikemen are way to weak. In custom battles they require lots of upgrades to be somewhat reliable, and then they're not cost-effective. Chivalric sergeants, Italian infantry and order foot soldiers are much better despite being normal spear units.
    Any tactical approach relying on pikemen is asking for disaster unless you're using Swiss pikemen, wich are hard to come by but can easily ensure victory once you train vast amounts of them.
    Sure vanilla pikemen shouldn't be extraordinary fighters but they should at least be able to repel swordsmen from the front if their formation holds and their flanks are covered, as it is they fail to do that.
    Proposed change: increase defense by +2 points (not the armour value though) and morale by +1. Another way to help them in campaign mode is to lower their required building upgrade by one. That will make them more accesible, and if you upgrade to the county militia you get +1 valour for them.

I looked forward to using them in my Crusader kingdom campaign (wich is a cool action btw), but because I'm only beginning with MTW again after not having played for so long I forgot how much they suck I'm going to edit the stats myself for personal use, but I thought I should share my views.
    I agree, they should be avaliable in the high period as well, and perhaps an armoured version of them in the late period?

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

And as mentioned elsewhere in the .org, maybe a larger unit size. Hopefully a number divisible by 5 on standard size setting.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Pikemen already have the largest unit size.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

I'm not sure exactly how unit sizes work but when I play Byzantium and face that 80 unit Gulam cavalry troop the Egyptians start with, I get pissed.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Hi VH,
    if you get the time try changing the start date for the early period. The GA goals and points stay the same, but the early dates are not listed but you still seem to get the points for your empire. The doomsday book event is very cool!
    I think you should test it out as starting the game in 1067 might make for some interesting faction border changes, for example I made northumbria a rebel land in keeping with the revolt of the period. It also gave me more time to build those early units

Quote Originally Posted by Third spearman from the left
    Hi VH,
    if you get the time try changing the start date for the early period. The GA goals and points stay the same, but the early dates are not listed but you still seem to get the points for your empire. The doomsday book event is very cool!
    I think you should test it out as starting the game in 1067 might make for some interesting faction border changes, for example I made northumbria a rebel land in keeping with the revolt of the period. It also gave me more time to build those early units
    I agree, an earlier starting date also allows you more time to finish those crusades before 1204.
    I think that was the reason for the later starting date in the original MTW. CA didn't want players starting crusades before the "deus volt" event.

Believer of Murphy's Law Member Sensei Warrior's Avatar

Greetings VikingHorde.

I have had MTW for 2 or 3 years now and have been very content playing the regular game. I thought I would finally give a mod a try. So I downloaded 3 different ones yours, BKB's, and Wes'. I hemmed and hawed for a bit a then loaded yours in and revved up a game. What a great game, much different than the regular. I am very impressed.

I am having alot of fun getting used to the new units, and the lack of landbridges. I am playing the Scots right now and I staged a huge army in Wessex to protect myself from the French (old habits die hard). I laughed myself silly when I realized what I did. I've conquered the British Isles and took Cyrencia (odd I know, but I did want to get off the Island, but didn't want to get into a naval war).

What the other factions are doing are crazy. The Danes have conquered all of the Northern Provences from Saxony West to Brittany, that was a big difference from the old game when they didn't do anything at all. The French are the largest right now and have been since near the start of the game. The English are gone, and so is the Spanish (Leon-Castile), the Cumans, the HRE, the Byz, the Armenians, and a number of others. Egypt is fighting for the Eastern Europe Provences right now (Poland and Lesser Poland). Wars are popping off like crazy, with a good (if not great) mix of units. I'm in awe. It's almost like playing a different game. I'm close to the 1200 mark and haven't gotten bored yet.

The install was smooth and I haven't encountered and glaring errors (those would really be the only ones I'd notice anyways). I just wanted to stop in and say thanks for all your effort putting out this mod. It's wonderful.
    Every weapon has evolved from the same basic design, either a rock or a sharp pointy stick.

Here are a few suffestions for the next version(is there going to be one?)

Divide the Prov "Greece" into 4 other provs. The southern peninsula should be a prov and have "Korinth" Castle, and the prov itself would be Pelopelenesus or what ever the ancient greek name was. Leave athens as it is, but make the Western side of the prov into another prov, not sure what to call it but make sure it has "NiKopolus" Castle. And Northern Greece should be called "Macedonia" and have "Thessolanki" castle.

Northern Nicea should be its own prov called Bythnia, not sure what to call the castle though.

And "Naples" should be cut into about another 3 provs, not quite sure what to call them though.

The Byzantines should have another unit of heavy inf, one between the Byzinf and varangian guards, and perhaps add "Skutatoi", as a heavy spearmen?

Since it´s been ages since I last played vanilla MTW, but playing a French Late XL (and a Spanish High one) campaign I´ve noticed the AI especially in the later eras tend to spawn very missile-heavy armies, often as not almost exclusively consisting of various crossbow units. Is there any way to get the AI to build more balanced armies?

Page 37 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast