Thread: Navigation

How u ppl manage to watch all of the battlefield at one time,
    And seem to know whats goin on around u?

How best 2 view while in battle?
    Fastest ways of doin so?

p.s dont say turn camera restrict off!

------------------

Grey Wolves
    FastCub

Toda Nebuchadnezzar

I always try to play maps that have one high point that lets you see most of the map but you are still able to organise your troops. Tis hard but if you can find a map like that you will always have an advantage.

------------------
    Grand Master of
    The Knights Templar
    "non nobis Domine non nobis sed Nomine tuo da gloriam"

lol
    Well Shogun will be the last Total War game for James unless he gets a PC - monkian

Goats will be the death of you.

Senior Member Senior Member Rath's Avatar

Fast if u have a chance put your camera behind your army so u can sum up the situation.

Also double click on unit banners so u get sent to their perspective double quick.

The enemy's taisho is down.

------------------
    "If your soul is imperfect, living will be difficult." -- Ryo Hayabusa, DOA2

"Hey, why are the enemy throwing their cookware at us?" *KABOOM* -- Thunderbomber sneak attack!

Toda Nebuchadnezzar

Lol Fair enough Baka, although I have no idea why you said that! another mystery to Toda

------------------
    Grand Master of
    The Knights Templar
    "non nobis Domine non nobis sed Nomine tuo da gloriam"

It's a reference to Ender's Game, of course. I guess the advice doesn't really apply, because Shogun doesn't occur in space...

Ah, but imagine that your forces are not charging to meet the enemy, but rather falling upon them! They are an irresistable force!

------------------

"Hey, why are the enemy throwing their cookware at us?" *KABOOM* -- Thunderbomber sneak attack!

turn restrict camera off
    Abandon all hope.

Sat image works the best.

------------------
    Don't use only honour, use theforce, too.
    I cannot return l presume so l will keep my name among those who are dead by bows!
    http://www.dedicatedgaming.com/~angelsofdarkness

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

Awareness is not all about gazing into the mist. Its also anticipating what the enemy pig-dog will do.

Blessed with this foresight, my general can be focused on a single unit on the right and "know" if the enemy is on the move on the left.

An example, ask yee?

It still amazes me when I do the Ramen Noodle dance in front of the enemy and still manage to sneak a ninja into the very middle of his army in broad daylight on a sunny, clear day without him even noticing. Before the first sword is even drawn, he is already in deep...

[Sips sake, eats popcorn]

Senior Member Senior Member Dionysus9's Avatar

Some tips that have helped me:

Hold shift down when you want to move the camera quickly.

Double click on the unit icon at the bottom of the screen and then hit a direction arrow, it skips the zoom and puts you right at the unit.

Keep your units together, generally when the h2h fighting starts, you will want all of your units in that area anyway. The trick is to not let your enemy know where this area is going to be. In military terms this is called Concentration of Force. Spreading your units out (ex. 5 units left, 6 center, 5 right) is asking for trouble and can also be confusing. Some excellent players can get away with it, but its tough.

Move in a group....learn to GROUP and use alt right click to turn as a group. Then ungroup to engage. Learn to use Alt-left click to move a bunch of units and retain their facing. [note, DO NOT ALT-RIGHT CLICK unless the units are GROUPED (as opposed to multiple units SELECTED)].

Use CTRL-SHIFT # to pre-select forces. (if you are going to flank left w/3 units make them CTRL 1, make your center CTRL 2 and your right CTRL 3.) If your left gets in trouble, you can hit CTRL 2, ALT-LEFT click near them and your center will march over there and retain their facing. Do the same with CTRL 3 so your right flank is not hanging...

Finally, learn to fire and forget a lot of your troops. As fun as it is to watch your kensai hacking up units, its more important to move on. He will be fine hacking away by himself....issue other orders, see whats going on, then check on your kensai (or dachi, or whatever). Units fight well (usually better) without recieving orders while they are engaged.

Hope these help, good luck.

Hunter_Bachus

Very helpful tips Dionysus9. I have not tried ctrl+number online as it all became confusing. Can you tell me why it is that when my grouped units march they always march fast. Multi selected ungrouped units march slowly.
    ...And FasT you saw enough of the map to sneak up on my general and start hacking him to bits!!!.........Orda

------------------
    " Send us your ambassadors and thus we shall judge whether you wish to be at peace with us or at war..if you make war on us the Everlasting God, who makes easy what was difficult and makes near what was far, knows that we know what our power is."

heheheh sorry Orda
    Maybe FasT is improvin a little?

Orda i dont think all of them r movin fast just the units that r tryin to keep in formation,when u have them grouped?

FasT is sorry about ur GEN but he had to die

Senior Member Senior Member Krasturak's Avatar

Gah!

Dionysus9 offers excellent summary of the crucial control methods.

Krast would like to add that keeping your mind on the aim at all times will narrow your focus on the single key point around which everything else revolves ...

That is to say, if your goal is to cut heads off, you need not see anything. Just keep swinging your axe, and the rest will follow.

Gah!

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

i find it helpful at times to take a view from behind the enemy's army. this often shows you holes and weaknesses you may not see from the other side.

and i seem to be doing this a lot lately...an interesting side note and challenge: i once heard of a practice, please dont ask me to quote anything here, but, it was customary in a few remote times and places for the winning general to notify a fallen enemy's family of his death, not the fallen one's own general, as is customary today. it was considered an honorable duty to pay respects to the family of the one you had to kill. and in a few cases, a stipend was paid as well, to compensate the family for their loss. this had the extra effect of making war even more costly and thus discourage such. mostly this was carried on only if the fallen person was an officer, particularly of high rank. it was sort of a way of acknowledging that one didnt want the war, that it was not a personal thing, that the fallen was acknowledged as an honorable opponent, and that one was not an unfeeling, unsympathetic ogre bent on the annihilation of others. an interesting practice.

the challenge is for you to find any such reference in any of the resources you may have to hand and post such here.

K.

------------------
    The only absolute is that there are no absolutes.

Well, I once watched some sort of Dateline (Primetime Soap) where a Vietnam Vet went back to Vietnam to find and apologize to the family of a NVA he had killed and retrieved wallet photos from..

But I imagine you are talking of things more ancient

Matt

------------------
    Shogun 2 has arrived! Check it out here.

Senior Member Senior Member Dionysus9's Avatar

Yeah I saw that same special Khan, and the twist was that the guy he thought he killed wasnt the guy who's wallet (and poetry book) he had....so when he found out the guy (he thought he had killed) was still alive he was pretty jazzed.

Hunter_Bachus