Thread: Are monks really worth it?

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

im posting this topic cos i dont really use monks myself allthough some players swear by them...i find they lack armour, allways attract the brunt of enemy firepower and also sooo expensive. im not saying they arnt destructive. but i believe the money is better spent elsewhere...higher hon for yari sams etc.. all too often ive played ppl who hav spent half their money on a few units of monks only to watch them go down in a hail of gunfire and arrows as soon as they approach. if i need infantry strike units i tend to go with noddies...they dont cost much and do allmost as good a job as the monks....

Dont put ur faith in monks...sory about the pun..i couldnt resist

------------------
    Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your toops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical......Sun Tzu the Art of War
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

Since I don't really like YS, I would say spending honour on YS is actually worse.

In MI/WE v1.02 it seems that no-dachi are overall better than monks...an H5 with few upgrades beats a WM h3 with ease - and costs about 10 koku less, hence if one buys 4 nods instead of 4 monks you're saving 40 koku or so.

------------------
    Proud member of Clan Kenchikuka.
    evil is within us...

i dont think spending money on ys is bad, they are good all round troops. i disagree however with ppl who use their koku to buy 8 units of hon 9 ya. it just seems very boring to play that way....

cheers for agreeing with me about nod vs monks, i pick nods over monks every time

------------------
    Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your toops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical......Sun Tzu the Art of War
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Quote Originally posted by SuicidalAibo:
    i dont think spending money on ys is bad, they are good all round troops. i disagree however with ppl who use their koku to buy 8 units of hon 9 ya. it just seems very boring to play that way....

cheers for agreeing with me about nod vs monks, i pick nods over monks every time

[/QUOTE]

Nods die just as quickly to arrow and gunfire. All you are doing is exchanging the death animation of the mobile corpse.

Naginata Infantry all the way!
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

i agree noddies die quickly to firepower but not like monks cos they dont attract that much attention...my nods tend to outlast the rest of my army when used correctly....naginata are too slow in my opinion although i use them often,it bugs me when i gotta hold up my advance so the nagis can catch up

------------------

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

It is true when you play single game. If both monks an NDs are the same distance from the enemy archers or guns, monks usually get shot first. AI range units tend to shoot at the units that have higher threat.

As my experience, when I line up my army in a battle, I put YS in front and back them up by monks. Monks always get shot first even though they are further away than YS.

In multi player, I will take NDs since they are cheaper. Moreover, monks and NDs suffer about the same by misile attack, so there is no need to pay the extra kuko. If I spend the extra koku on honor/weapon/armour upgrade, then NDs can be better than monks.

I forgot: do monks worth? Single play as Mori, yes (discount). As Takeda, I will spend on cavalry and good YS. For others, I will get NDs and guns. Multi player, it depends on which one I know better,...well, about the same, so I will take NDs.

[This message has been edited by pdoan8 (edited 05-12-2002).]

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

Monks only get shot first out of courtesy. The only reason a monk goes into battle is to meet Buddha. The enemy, realizing this, makes sure his journey is not for nothing.

If you were fighting an army lead by Michael Jackson, wouldn't you want Battlefield Catholic Priests in your army?

[Sips sake, eats popcorn]

LOL Vanya...next time some1 whines that i just gunned down his whole unit of monks ill just let him know i was doing them a favour

------------------

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

the goldfish Senior Member tootee's Avatar

Monk is worthy up to H3. Any more koku to spare on upgrade, change the WM to ND with H5W1. Minimum worthy ND is at H4W1.

------------------
    tootee the goldfish,
    headmaster of Shogun-Academy
    ------------------
    tootee the goldfish,
    loyal roach of Clan S.G.