Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Knights of the Old Republic 2

Malak is very easy.

Spoiler Alert! Highlight to read. While force powers are useless, all one needs is a plentiful supply of verpintine prototype shields. The first one you see is looted off the admiral and you can buy them at the special arms dealing on Korriban. One cut damaged inflicted on me to 3 from 25. Also, a cheap thing to do is to give your ls char health drain just for thius battle, sice the jedis also restore your foce as well as health. And stems don't hurt.[/QUOTE]

GoreBag: Oh, Prole, you're a nerd's wet dream.

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (discovery1 @ May 28 2004,22:03)]Malak is very easy.

Spoiler Alert! Highlight to read. While force powers are useless, all one needs is a plentiful supply of verpintine prototype shields. The first one you see is looted off the admiral and you can buy them at the special arms dealing on Korriban. One cut damaged inflicted on me to 3 from 25. Also, a cheap thing to do is to give your ls char health drain just for thius battle, sice the jedis also restore your foce as well as health. And stems don't hurt.
    [/QUOTE]
    Yes, the first item you mentioned makes it a lot easier.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Feeding the Peanut Gallery Senior Member Redleg's Avatar

Default Re: Knights of the Old Republic 2

Well I got my copy of the Knights of the Old Republic 2 - and completed the story line plot of the game. Overall I was very happy with the game - played it as a light side jedi - going to play it again taking the options that will turn my character to the dark side.
    O well, seems like 'some' people decide to ruin a perfectly valid threat. Nice going guys... doc bean

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Indeed Malak is easy enough if you have the speed and drain life.

I've finished the game 3 times (1 pure light, 1 pure dark and one dark with a light ending - Anakin Skywalker kinda thing - , and planning doing the opposite now.) And, well after a couple of times you "learn" the options. As with everything. Anyway. I thinknthe biggest flaw of the game is that it wouldn't let you advance past level 20. I mean, I reached level 20 before even entering Korriban, left alone the Star Forge, and it was painfully suspicious seeng all your companions (except Carth whom seldom got out of the Ebon Hawk) leveling up while I had to hack through a full Sith academy without improving at all....

Another plot-related issue. Ok, noone believes you are Revan. Fair enough. But when you kill both academy masters in Korriban, the rest of the pupils stand against you instead of bowing to you as the new master. Isn't that contradictory?

As of Kotor2, is it out for Pc yet? If not, anyone know the release date?
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

11th of feb I think, at least according to PC zone

Blog Entries

2 weeks.... Ok.

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

I played the game, loved it. Not as good as the first of course, but still excellent!
    And I will never turn dark after I did in the first game. I cried when I killed all those people! Especially will never turn dark in this one, I don't want everyone turning into zombies, especially handmaiden.
    Though it's a shame I'll never get Hanharr... Oh well. I like being a goodie goodie anyway!

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steppe Merc
    I played the game, loved it. Not as good as the first of course, but still excellent!
    And I will never turn dark after I did in the first game. I cried when I killed all those people! Especially will never turn dark in this one, I don't want everyone turning into zombies, especially handmaiden.
    Though it's a shame I'll never get Hanharr... Oh well. I like being a goodie goodie anyway!

Ah, these youngsters these days are getting soft...

Shame...

On behalf of the poor Europeans who don't get this until Feb 11th, and those who will pick up the game later, I would like to remind everyone about our nice spoiler tags. The move from the old forum to this one has broken all the old forum's spoiler tags so KOTOR1 spoilers are everywhere in this thread. Let's not add to them with visible KOTORII spoilers.

A reminder for those who have forgotten the tag is [spoil ]Big fat hairy spoilers here![/spoil ] Just remove the space before the final bracket in each part of the tag.

:mutters: doesn't help me any; I have to read the spoiler bits too. My game plot is likely to be ruined.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Blog Entries

so.... anyone know if its out yet?

the website says february, but doesnt specify the date...

It's already out in the US, out this Friday for the UK, and I have no idea about the other PAL countries; I suppose they would also be the 11th of February. The UK gets the PC and xbox versions on the same day this time.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Blog Entries

Thanks , Lady Frog, will keep a close eye on this one

Fun game. Have it on X-Box, am a little less than half-way through. Much longer/better than the original. The characers are a lot more interesting and fleshed out.
    Innovative Soy Solutions (TM) for a dynamically changing business environment.

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

I'm supposed to review it for the PC magazine I work for occasionally (that work is for fun mostly) and will be getting it today or tomorrow.

Damn, there is so little time. I used to review those games like wild, now I manage two reviews per month, tops.

Time…enough…

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

The one Xbox magazine I read, the reviewer played the entire game in a week. How anyone could humanly do that, I have no idea.....

Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

I've been playing KotOR 2 for some hours now and it's really nice, except for where I am now...
    The game has become completely unplayable due to a very low framerate!
    I've already read others complaining about the same thing with an ATI graphics card.
    I really can't play on right now I really hope Obsidian brings out a patch soon to fix this problem.

Anyways I guess I'll spend time playing RTW untill it is fixed.

Edit: And as soon as I posted this, just a few moments later I already read a fix about it I'm such an impatient person.
    The fix is the following: Open the swkotor2.ini file in the root directory of KotOR 2 and add "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1" at the "[Graphics Options]" section. Don't include the "s though! It works
    Last edited by [DnC]; 02-13-2005 at 16:21.

He who controls Arrakis.. Member 71-hour Ahmed's Avatar

YEAH! I have KOTOR 2 finally!!! Fun, fun, fun....Surprised frogbeastegg isn't talking about it though.

I'd talk more myself, but then I'd have to play less! Bye-bye!
    The scary thing about leaving the Org for a while and then coming back is the exponential growth of "gah!" on your return...

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive; I ordered online. Tomorrow morning, I hope.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

I've got off the mining colony at the beginning and must say I have REALLY liked the opening up to that point. What it reminded me of, that I had not expected, was System Shock 2 and that is exceptionally high praise from me.
    Also, I never understood the praise lauded on HK-47 in KOTOR1 - being a light sider I guess I never gave him a chance - but he really gets a chance to shine in the KOTOR2 opening ("Coorta, oh, Coorta..."). I also rather like the "Nameless One" ish baddy so far. Very dark stuff. Excellent, as Mr Burns would say, excellent...

HK-47 was good in the original if you had a high repair skill. You could upgrade him three times, giving him regen and massive dex/def bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Appleton
    I've got off the mining colony at the beginning and must say I have REALLY liked the opening up to that point. What it reminded me of, that I had not expected, was System Shock 2 and that is exceptionally high praise from me.
    Also, I never understood the praise lauded on HK-47 in KOTOR1 - being a light sider I guess I never gave him a chance - but he really gets a chance to shine in the KOTOR2 opening ("Coorta, oh, Coorta..."). I also rather like the "Nameless One" ish baddy so far. Very dark stuff. Excellent, as Mr Burns would say, excellent...
    Hk-47 isn't in the opening.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The grey assassin droids are HK-50s Hk-47 is in the game though, have to find the right parts to put him back together.

Yeah, I know HK-47 specifically is not in the opening and could be powerful in KOTOR1; I was referring the voicework and general "character". From what I saw in KOTOR1, they were rather unimpressive dark humour IMO. In the KOTOR2 opening, they put a real shiver down my spine.

I've just got off Telos city onto the rural areas. The city was more reminiscent of KOTOR1. Solid, but not as atmospheric as the opening on the mine.

The mine gets ridiculously repetetive when you start a lot of games. Man...

I can't believe it, I played through the entire game (took 30+ hours) without becoming a master jedi. I had to go online and look at an faq to find out when it was meant to happen. It made the end of the game ridiculously hard and involved much reloading .

It says in the manual that the chance to choose your master speciality comes at a critical plot point, which is clearly complete as I seemed to miss it even though I completed every quest available to me.

If you don't want this happening to you:

Apparently, make sure you talk to Kreia when your character reaches level 15 and she will give you the opportunity. I haven't had time to play through the entire game again to check this out though.

Got it. I've played for about 2 hours; I just met and had a very long chat with a certain black droid on the mining station. I will second the SS2 comparision, although KOTORII is not nearly as sophisicated and not the least bit unnerving, at least to me.

Pray excuse me while I frown and mutter about the entire quest for the last game ending up slightly pointless; I saved the galaxy and the jedi and they got wiped out a few years later. Gah! Froggy no like. :neatly swaps KOTORII into an alternate universe from the original so it does not mess up the long and complex ending she had thought up for the assorted characters in answer to a topic over a year ago: Even the darkside ending of KOTOR is rather pointless now; Reven should be ruling the galaxy!

Meh, always the problem with sequels.

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg
    Got it. I've played for about 2 hours ... not the least bit unnerving, at least to me.
    There's a cutscene involving a ship very shortly after you first done a spacesuit. It was pretty freaky, although tastes may differ. The final log of Coorta was also spine-chilling - largely due to some certain voicework.

BTW, thanks for the spoiler, LordHugh - I would urge every player to highlight it. It does not involve giving away the plot and I suspect like LordHugh I would have missed it.

I've left Telo and the plot is quite intriguing at the moment - especially Kreia. I keep losing influence with her despite playing a whiter than white character. Her relationship with the main protaganist is an unusual one that does not fall into any ready stereotypes. I've avoided all plot spoilers as story and character are what KOTOR seems to do best, and I'm not disappointed.

While it may seem odd, the whole thing about Revan, trust me it makes more sense... at least I think. I need to play through as dark side (must force myself to be mean) to find out more about Revan, but you do find more out, and why the Jedi are gone, or Revan isn't running the show. You get more info from Kreia (god I hate her), and everyone's favorite astromech if your light side. But you have to be dark side to gain favore with a certaint crazy droid (who I love, even though I'm a goodie), and my favorite character:
    Mandolore... won't say how he's connected to Revan though...

That and I want to control a walking carpet.
    But I think this game has even more replay value with all the character relations. In order to explore all the characters, you have to play at least once through light and dark each. Peragus is a bit repetative, but I really liked it the first time through.
    And about the advanced Jedi classes, thank goodness I got the walkthrough to tell me about it. I also found something to help a problem I always had with the first game.
    I loved being a soldier, and having a lot of battle prowes. But you miss out a lot, due to your low intellegince and awareness (even bigger here). So I start out as a Sentienel and then switch to the warrior class later on. Of course I could try being a consolar, but I love battles to much to wear Jedi robes.

And to keep on Kreia's good side, you have to be neither good or bad. You have to be like her: neutral. But she respects intelligence, which is my only saving grace as she always get angry at me for being too nice.
    Last edited by Steppe Merc; 02-15-2005 at 02:04.

Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

@ Lord Hugh: Ugh, only now that my char is lvl 22 do I learn this. /Cries

About Mandalor, doesn't the voice give it away?

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

I don’t like KOTOR 2.

It plays like a mod rather than a sequel, with an exception of the voice acting which is superb all the way through.

Kreia makes me wanna put a blade into her forehead, that Hans-double is irritating and his puns are rarely funny. The sidekicks, erm, your companions are nowhere near those interesting ones from the first part. I just finished Telos and I’m ready to start swooping the galaxy, and already I might say how impressed I am by the monotony of the game and its dull appearance. The worlds seen so far are very ugly, not to mention the interior of the Telos underground domain of Atris, which is as ugly and plain as can possibly be.

And what’s with this “wow, I got whooped in my head and can’t remember a thing, while everyone around me knows everything about me, having besides that their own secret and dangerous agendas” jive? I mean, isn’t that cheap? I swear if the next part starts the same way, I’ll use the CD’s as cup holders.

Not to mention that the original KOTOR came out almost two years ago and the sequel hasn’t seen any technological, graphical or other engine-like improvement. Just a make-over, that’s all.

All in all, no big deal, KOTOR 2 is like a bad make-over of the first part. Sequel problems, once again. Sadly, due to some gameplay designs and the uninspired approach from its creators, it hasn’t reached the quality of the first part.

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

Floating through the net... Member King Edward's Avatar
    Guernsey, A small sea weed covered rock in the English Channel

Hello Folks, I haven't read this thread as i want to play the game with as little story line knowledge as possible, but I want to pass a little tech tip that annoyed me when I purchased the game yesterday.

If you have a Radion Video card you must download the latest driver or the game will hang after the first part of the intro (Ebon Hawk floating through the asteroids).

Just a tip incase anyone has the same problem I had.
    Last edited by King Edward; 02-15-2005 at 11:15.
    Chelsea - Simply Champions!

RTK4Flintoff in multi-player

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast