Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Egyptians featured at IGN

Father of the EB Isle Member Aymar de Bois Mauri's Avatar
    Staring West at the setting sun, atop the Meneltarma

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Trax @ June 08 2004,15:34)]You are right, Spino.
    I´ll apologise for CA for the somewhat unpolite things I´ve said about them.
    I'm sorry to the developers and only to them. I'm sure that if they are the same involved in the process of creating STW and MTW, they probably aren't responsible. For the others, the ones with the "bright" ideas, maybe you should understand the gaming industry's new trends and not the old way of thinking.

Quote[/b] ]Still, Activison may burn for all I care.
    If they had any to do with the "bright" ideas, I agree.

I would also like to make a comparison with other game developers.
    Knights of Honor. In general this game isn´t anything extremly historically accurate, I would say it is rather innacurate as a matter of fact.

Still, one day they posted a viking unit in their weekly unit profile and surprise, surprise it had horns, good big horns, even bull warrior would have been ashamed.
    Of course people in the forums kindly informed them that vikings actually didn´t use horned helmets.
    Next day the chief developer posted: "sorry guys, we didn´t know this, consider it fixed"

Striking difference compared to our situation here don´t you think?

Senior Member Senior Member Barkhorn1x's Avatar

Quote[/b] (Trax @ June 08 2004,17:51)]Striking difference compared to our situation here don´t you think?
    Damn straight as having produced the Raphia episode for TC and having had contact with real historians, CA can hardly hide behind a "we didn't know" excuse.

And Spino - I will not apologize as the presentation of the Egyptian civ. is just pandering shite.

As a wise man once said to me - you can't make chicken salad out of chicken s**t - no matter what you choose to call it.

Hey CA, how about some more of this , instead of this ??

Barkhorn.

"Après moi le déluge"

in constant inner turmoil Member biguth dickuth's Avatar

Spino, my effort was not to insult the CA staff who hang around in those forums but to provoke them in order to come forward and get a discussion going with us.

Is that too arrogant a request? Perhaps, but most of us have bought the previous TW releases and we really appreciated what those developers had done (especialy in Shogun, on my part). Therefore, i believe that we deserve to be given some answers and, since i believe that a dialectic approach is the best in solving any problems, to begin a conversation.

If the later is too demanding on their few, precious moments of free time (and this comment is not sarcastic) then they could just show to us that they are listening to the suggestions of the TW community and are taking them into consideration.
    We aren't going to beg them to appear but it would be really kind of them to show to us that we are not totally ignored.

Besides, when i think of all those years of effort that the developers have given into making this "work of art of a game" (as characterized by Rising Sun, i think) it makes me sad to see it get gradually undergraded and not reaching the peaks of perfection that it could reach, for the sake of some bloody marketing decision which i doubt that it will mkae so much more money for them to be really worth it (if it could ever be worth it).

Of course, the game is theirs to do whatever they want with it but it reminds me of a man ready to commit suicide. His life is his own and he can take it away if he wants but you will still try to remind him that's it's not really worth it.
    Something similar is happening to the game, although much less dramatic obviously. If it gets too full of holywood "coolness", his standard will be a shadow of its potential greatness.

And death shall have no dominion...

Father of the EB Isle Member Aymar de Bois Mauri's Avatar
    Staring West at the setting sun, atop the Meneltarma

Thumbs up

Quote[/b] (biguth dickuth @ June 08 2004,20:36)]Of course, the game is theirs to do whatever they want with it but it reminds me of a man ready to commit suicide. His life is his own and he can take it away if he wants but you will still try to remind him that's it's not really worth it.
    Something similar is happening to the game, although much less dramatic obviously. If it gets too full of holywood "coolness", his standard will be a shadow of its potential greatness.
    Such a good comparation.

The expression "work of art" is a distant memory now. The closest CA came to it, was with Shogun. The writting is on the wall:

Shogun > Medieval > Rome

Unfrequent Visitor Member tombom's Avatar

I thought "Ok, they don't have to be historically accurate at all" until I saw the Secret Police Network
    caesar44 is having a system failure Claudius. He no longer has a head, on the count of it exploding. - Wonderland in this thread

I'm with Barkhorn. You'll get no apologies out of me.

Yes, the secret police was a well-known facet of Egyptian society It's what the Russians based the KGB on. Rumor has it that it will even be a unit like battlefield ninja t3h c00l1111

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

First of all I want to thank Spino. Had he not said what he did, I would, and I might not have been as pleasant in my wording (my future profession is not going to be diplomat).
    I sense a good deal of my views are better here. Those that has said they liked the look of the Egyptians have been put through a third-degree questioning, and the .com has as usual been struck as a heaven for illiterate and stupid people.
    You know people, the general crowd here is most certain more enlightened, but it is also highly arrogant and significantly more selfimportant, when compared to the general Joe out there.
    Those that claim themselves superior, directly or indirectly, are just the opposite when it comes to oppinions.

Why is the uneducated player's views less valuable than ours? And doesn't his views actually undermine the stupid/uneducated/general RTS player doesn't want to play Rome: Total War-oppinion? If there are people that has that view, is not likely that they will buy the game?
    Relax You have the time to be pleasant, this is not a face to face debate where speed is essential. Also a pleasant tone is far more likely to be listened to. A rude tone is likely to be ignored, for who wants to enter a duel with a guy that isn't friendly? It is as simple as that.
    Stop taking this personal, it isn't like CA is out to get you, you might not think like that, but the acting in here reeks of it.

As you might have noticed I have joined myself into the crowd here, and the reason is I feel I'm amongst peers in general. But I'm let down by the lack of good manners.
    I'm against this situation of a total pharaohnic Egypt, it doesn't feel good at all. Egypt might have been the faction on the lowest end of my list, but I still wanted, and expected hellenistic units.
    But we can't honestly expect IGN to present every single unit the Egyptians have, or for that matter the buildings (in that case they have even fewer buildings than the clans in STW had). They have most likely presented the units that they liked the most, the most 'Egyptian' units as well as the Peasants to nudge people to think about mass slaughter of them (impressive visions of fields of dead and even more running comes to my mind when taking in the screenshots and the Peasants). Why would they mention the hellenistic units? Because it is historical? No. Because they are cool? Possibly, but that might give the Egyptians the 'wrong' look (remember IGN lives for many readers, and impressive reviews are important to that).
    It is simply not that likely IGN would mention the hellenistic units if there are only a few of them...

Thus, I'm hoping and still expecting a few hellenistic units, this preview is simply not full enough. Though I'm sad that the Cleruchs are gone (Nile Cavalry it seems they have become).
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

hay i was one of them illiterate stupid peeps ya was talking about prbabyly remeber that demo thread that got closed i was one of the winy demo peeps
    Formerly ceasar010

Arrow

While I can only second what Kraxis and Spino said, I'm a bit let down by the lack of official response by CA.
    There was a time when the devs regularly posted to explain features of MTW or when VI came out, they wanted to hear our opinion and they cleared up questions that arose about gameplay etc., and now there's this article at IGN that may or may not be the complete and final representation of the Egyptian faction, however none of the CA staff takes the time to write a few lines about this. This could be due to them being too busy or simply not being allowed to talk about the game in progress, but then they should at least state that this is the case...
    In case I missed such a statement, my deepest apologies.
    Ignoranti, quem portum petat, nullus suus ventus est. -Seneca, Epistulae Morales, VIII, 71, 3

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456